Amnesty International is blasting Nigeria's top military leaders, claiming they knew four hours in advance that Boka Haram militants were going to raid the Chibok boarding school. The attack ended with nearly 300 girls kidnapped at gunpoint. There has been no sign of them since, and Boko Haram's leader has said he will sell the girls into slavery. Vladimir Duthiers reports on why finding them gets more difficult by the day.
A U.S. military team is heading to Nigeria to join in the search for hundreds of missing schoolgirls, who were kidnapped at gunpoint for daring to get an education. There are new concerns the girls are being separated into smaller groups to make it more difficult to find them. This comes as Boko Haram, the terror group behind the kidnapping, launched a brutal attack killing more than 300 people in a Nigerian village. Vladamir Duthiers has the latest from Abuja, Nigeria.
People around the world are horrified and outraged as the terror group Boko Haram threatens to sell hundreds of kidnapped Nigerian schoolgirls into slavery. The Nigerian government's response has been almost entirely ineffective. There is still no sign of the girls and this week Boko Haram launched a new attack in a remote area of Nigeria, where more than 300 people were killed.
As for the missing girls, the militants took them at gunpoint from their school in northern Nigeria on April 14. As time passes, the situation gets more desperate. This has triggered a global call for action, as people voice their anger and frustration with the demand #BringBackOurGirls. What started as a hashtag on social media quickly turned into a worldwide rallying cry.
You can watch the spread of the #BringBackOurGirls hashtag across Twitter since the girls vanished:
Some of the most famous and powerful figures on social media are adding their voices to the cause:
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Kim Kardashian West (@kimkardashian) on
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Cara Delevingne (@caradelevingne) on
— Vladimir Duthiers (@vladduthiersCBS) May 2, 2014
— AmyPoehlerSmartGirls (@smrtgrls) May 7, 2014
— Malala Fund (@MalalaFund) May 4, 2014
Children are the reward of life. Rescue our Nigerian sisters. The world is watching, Make your voice heard. Retweet! #BringBackOurGirls
— Wyclef Jean (@wyclef) May 2, 2014
— The First Lady (@FLOTUS) May 7, 2014
— Christiane Amanpour (@camanpour) May 8, 2014
At least eight more Nigerian girls have been kidnapped by suspected members of Boko Haram. That's the terror group that abducted more than 200 schoolgirls last month. In a video released Monday, a Boko Haram leader threatened to sell the girls. Today Vladimir Duthiers spoke to the parents of one of the kidnapped girls.
The words are appalling, and they are sparking outrage around the world. A man who says he is a leader of the Islamic militant group Boko Haram is threatening to sell some 200 young Nigerian girls taken at gunpoint from their school. The U.S. State Department says the video appears to be legitimate. There is a worldwide campaign going on right now that’s working to secure their freedom. How did their ordeal begin? What if anything can be done to help them now? Vlad Duthiers reports from Nigeria.
Anderson discussed this tragic situation with Vlad Duthiers and CNN national security analyst Peter Bergen.
Anderson Cooper goes beyond the headlines to tell stories from many points of view, so you can make up your own mind about the news. Tune in weeknights at 8 and 10 ET on CNN.
Questions or comments? Send an email
Want to know more? Go behind the scenes with