January 6th, 2014

Tonight on AC360: Gone to Pot

Tonight, watch AC360's special series on marijuana legalization.

Every night this week, 'Gone to Pot' will explore different angles of the issue.

Tuesday night at 8p: Is Marijuana physically addictive? Gary Tuchman talks to Denver natives about their experiences and Dr. Drew and Dr. Hart will discuss.

On Monday night: Randi Kaye reports live from inside a Denver grow warehouse and Anderson spoke with former Montana Governor Brian Schweitzer.
Click to watch
And at 10p: Patrick Kennedy joined the AC360 Later panel to discuss marijuana issues.

Filed under: Gone to Pot • Marijuana
  1. Wylie Jones Jordan, MD

Nothing is always addictive and almost anything can be: one of Freud's patients was addicted to enemas. A few substances, including alcohol and the benzodiazepine tranquilizers–but not marijuana–can lead to physical addiction and the danger of delirium tremens on withdrawal. This is explained in greater detail in my book Evolution and Psychiatry.

January 7, 2014 at 8:28 pm |
  2. John geraci

Weed is an inevitable cultural reality. We can live in denial and make it illegal or we can legalize it, tax it and have more control than we do now. Which is no control and billions spent in policing it

January 6, 2014 at 10:42 pm |
  3. Dr Tod Policandriotes

I disagree with Patrick Kennedy and those who say pot is physically addictive. I say stop trying to control people so much and control the drugs availability by legalization and taxation just like alcohol. There is NO WAY to totally stop kids from getting them, but it will take out the criminal aspect a great deal and the police can then focus on the imports across the Mexican border.

January 6, 2014 at 10:38 pm |
  4. sue

Dear Anderson,
    I so hope your staff feels that what I have to say is worthy of discussing.
    William R. Hearst is the reason that marijuana is illegal today.
    Mr. Hearst owned acres and acres of timber and the hemp crop was impeding on his profits.
    From what I understand, he solicited Congress to make marijuana illegal.

January 6, 2014 at 9:39 pm |
  5. Schley Barrett

I personally have seizures and have been told by my neurologist it would help stabilize my neurons. I am very sorry "pot" came into our culture as an illegal drug first. I would not dare advocate smoking pot to get stoned any more than I would recommed alcohol to get drunk. However, I have never heard of any alcoholic beverages that stabilize any health issue. I have heard of a multitude of deaths from the abuse of alcohol. . I have not used pot medically or other wise however I believe it should be my choice as to who where and when I use it.

January 6, 2014 at 8:49 pm |
  6. Greg Argentieri

Cannabis Now for Veterans with PTSD
    Please

January 6, 2014 at 8:45 pm |
  7. david uribe

Im 62, mom of two girls and a working hygienist. I would smoke mj any day over a drink. I feel terrible after only a couple drinks and worse in the mornings. If mj was legal in Florida, I would get off my xanax, antidepressants and ambien. I dont think alcohol prohibition was this long! FYI, no one who knows me or met me would think I would indulge. Government has mor pot smokers than we think and its illegal, remember ?

January 6, 2014 at 7:46 pm |
  8. david uribe

Yea, I think it's about time to accept that marijuana provides a few health benefits for some people. To say that pot does more harm than good is not a statement based on fact. Let's compare it to alcohol: Which one causes more car accidents, failed families, financial devastation, liver and or other problems with one's organs through chronic use? Which one is legal? Which one has been glorified to such an embarrassing degree that it's legal to be advertised in virtually every media outlet known to man? Personally, I think it's irresponsible for the leaders of our country to have kept marijuana illegal when they most likely use, or have used it (Clinton, Bush and Obama) and know it's mostly harmless. The worst side effect is the paranoia, and that would be diminished if those who use it weren't so concerned about getting arrested and going to jail because they used it. If the likes of Pfizer and Merck can get over the fact that there's a new legal "herb" on it's way to town that helps some people (probably more than their high priced pharmaceuticals do), maybe they can become part of the solution. Big pharma is like the 1,000 pound gorilla in the room. They have spent billions lobbying against pot's legalization, but no one is acknowledging that fact. Get them out of the way, along with their massive political influence, and then maybe something like marijuana, which is as natural as collard greens, can be an option for those who want to feel better due to a physical ailment or for those who just want to feel better for a little while without consuming alcohol to excess. It's 2014 and it's high time the world grows up on this issue...and that's all I have to say about that.

January 6, 2014 at 7:44 pm |