January 3rd, 2014

Family and hospital reach agreement in Jahi McMath case

New developments in the heartbreaking case of Jahi McMath. The 13-year-old suffered severe complications after a tonsillectomy and her doctors declared her brain dead. Today a coroner issued a death certificate. But Jahi's family believes she is still alive, and they are doing everything they can to keep her on a ventilator. Now there is an agreement between Jahi's family and the hospital on what to do next. Dan Simon has the latest.

Filed under: Dan Simon • Jahi McMath
  1. Holly

The 13 year old sprit has been with the Lord a long time ago the only thing left is her shell once the mother excepts this all will be better.
    Bless their hearts to Jahi's family/friends. 😦 may a guardian angel guide them in all they decide to do.

January 7, 2014 at 9:59 pm |
  2. Debbie

My heart goes out to the family. As a mother, I don't think I could just let go either. My thoughts and prayers go out to them.

January 6, 2014 at 6:57 pm |
  3. regor

Of all the times that I have dealt with patients that have been declared brain dead is that the body/internal organs degrade while on life support. The body will shut-down from organ failure and body will go into cardiac arrest. Just my observations shared here.

January 6, 2014 at 12:28 pm |
  4. Bonnie

I have always told my family that if I was ever to end up on life support, give it 30 days. If I don't show any signs of life by then pull the plug. Know matter what happens, God bless Jahi McMath.

January 6, 2014 at 11:43 am |
  5. dbarrus

As long as the parents are willing to except the long term cost of their daughters hospitalization where ever she ends up, then let them take her. You can't make parents accept a death of their child until they are ready to do so. It's sad all around.

January 6, 2014 at 11:25 am |
  6. Mr. Addam

It is about time Doctors & Scientists or Educated People do something about these heart breaking incidents which hunts us all. If they can not do any thing about this or do not have the knowledge, then ask the public for help. The media should ask questions not what to do about the Jahi situation but rather How Can Jahi be revived.
    I have one opinion of how to revive people under such conditions. Since the first of this year I have been trying to reach the media & Jahi's Family. I am not succeeding so far, time is running on Jahi & her family. All I have is an address for Jahi's uncle Omari L. Sealey. I do not know if current address or not but will mail a letter. That's All & I hope & wish the best for Jahi & her family.

January 4, 2014 at 1:33 pm |
  7. jim g

she is dead. there is no doubt. BRAIN DEAD IS DEAD.

January 4, 2014 at 12:34 pm |
  8. Frederic

The heath-breaking stories of Alexis Shapiro ( Hypothalamic Obesity) and Jahi McMath ( the girl declared Brain dead); two children with health-related problems tell how Economy and Race impact our Western Healthcare in our Community today.

January 4, 2014 at 9:51 am |