November 15th, 2013

Typhoon Haiyan: Eight days later

The crisis in the Philippines is far from over. Since arriving in the Philippines, Anderson has witnessed the desperation of typhoon survivors who lost everything and the frustration of relief workers struggling to deliver aid. Anderson discusses the latest on the relief effort and the long road ahead for typhoon survivors with CNN's Ivan Watson, Anna Coren, and Nick Paton Walsh.

Post by:
Filed under: Anna Coren • Ivan Watson • Nick Paton Walsh • Typhoon Haiyan
  1. E. Ignacio

Thank You, Anderson Cooper, for the extensive coverage of the devastation, human suffering and stories of human fortitude and endurance of the Filipinos affected. Relatedly, dismiss Corina Sanchez' lies, she wants to be First Lady after this corrupt and inept government is finished plundering the relief funds, to step down some more on the throat of the suffering Pinoys. Having grown there, I am not surprised of the posturings of the government officials- it has always been like that. I am not sure if the devastation wreaked by Typhoon Haiyan is worst than the continuous corruption and plundering of the country by its government. Again, our gratitude for bringing about the truth which have somehow spurred action by the Phil govt officials however late it was.

November 18, 2013 at 12:30 am |
  2. luisa castillo

To Mr Anderson Cooper

You are a hero to us when you did the reporting in CNN about the careless attitude and very slow responsed of Philippine government. I believed the reason why Super typhoon Yolanda a catastrophe that hit Philippines because of the worst cancer of Philippine Government officials and politicians – a very corrupt politicians stealing the money of the Filipino people, these politicians can also kill the poor Filipino who are always their victims for they really abuse their power. It is so shameful this time, one of the volunteer from Mactan, Cebu was very angry. According to her, one of the government distribution center in Mactan received help from Indonesia already packed in a pouch ready for distribution but the local officials in-charged told the volunteer to re-opened the pouch and replaced it. The items were placed in the NFA bag (government bags) to show that it’s the government gave those items. The distribution was delayed because of this the people who are waiting and are dying of hunger received the food very late. You can help us if you can report the rotten system of the Philippine Government both national and local. This is too much and the Pilipino people are really angry. CNN is the best way to expose these ongoing rotten cancer system of Philippine government.

November 17, 2013 at 11:58 pm |
  3. jun

Anderson Cooper(CNN), Congratulations for a job well done for unbiased reporting in the current situation in Tacloban. Thank you for letting the world witness the devastation brought about by typhoon Yolanda.I think what Korina Sanchez did was very unprofessional. She has completely lost her credibility with the Filipino people.

November 17, 2013 at 7:32 pm |
  4. Belinda Mendoza

Thank you AC360 for the coverage of the devastation caused by the typhoon in my country, Philippines. Godbless.

November 17, 2013 at 11:06 am |
  5. ROBERT SMITH

I hope this email gets to Anderson as his honest reporting has been appreciated although not like by the Philippine Government. I am now with my Phillipine wife in Cebu after she made her way from the Dulag area 40km south of Tacloban
    My wife is safe but the journey is not finished. We will get a van from Cebu catch the barge to Ormac and drive to Calubian a burangay of 700 people 4 km inland from the coast. We will deliver food, clothing etc and then bring back family members to Cebu where I have rented a apartment. An expense but worth it to look after a family.
    I work in Egypt at Sukari Gold Mine as an expat and is good they let me go from work to find my wife.
    I built a house in that villiage and had some damage but protected about 30 people in the house and others outside with a re inforced concrete fence around the lot.
    This is one of thousands of stories,, with a good ending,, re building will cost money but no amount of money can be put on the survival of my family here.
    Again thank you for telling this story and disaster how it really is
    Kind regards
    Robert Smith

November 16, 2013 at 9:56 pm |
  6. Tireena

I just wanted to thank you for your reports and also to let you know that there are American students who go to our lady of Fatima school, who have gotten together to help in the relief effort. They are taking time after school to go help fill bags with food and what ever aid is available. If you have time please check them out.

November 16, 2013 at 7:54 pm |
  7. Francisco Galsim

If you could only ask the people who affected by typhoon what they really what to say to the government they will share to you what they felt everyday...I hope the President will realllize what he would do.

November 16, 2013 at 1:00 am |
  8. Francisco Galsim

As you see all the help from another countries has just arrive. But they still looking for food.. It because the Philippines government got there with a few trucks and limited people from the government to handle that kind of situation. some of the report from the Philippines government is a lie.. if you see the media is the first who send food and other help but the government its take 5 long days before they able to send help. and not totally all.

November 16, 2013 at 12:54 am |
    • John M Flanagan

Francisco, I heard today (CNN) that some 4 million people are still awaiting food and water supplies. So sad and so very much a matter of real concern.

November 18, 2013 at 9:04 pm |