November 14th, 2013

"In every report we have shown how strong the Filipino people are"

Anderson addresses criticism from Korina Sanchez. She's a radio broadcaster in the Philippines and also the wife of the country's Interior Minister. She reportedly claimed Anderson said he had seen no presence of the Filipino government on the ground in Tacloban. Anderson talks about the relief response he saw during his time in the hard-hit city and describes the extensive work that still needs to be done. Anderson also pays tribute to the strength of the people he met there.

Post by:
Filed under: Typhoon Haiyan
  1. nelializa

Thank you so much Mr Anderson Cooper ....the Filipino people love and respect you. God bless !!!

November 15, 2013 at 8:55 pm |
  2. nancy zabala parrenas

we filipinos are very much thankful to the foreign neighbors because they are very quick to response the needs of their neighboring countries, we salute you for your good intentions to help us. there is no enough words to define how to thank you all. you are blessings that God send to us, may your tribe increase... WE SALUTE YOU....God Bless you

November 15, 2013 at 8:49 pm |
  3. Chanice

Thank you so much Anderson, our heart is with you, we couldn't trust our government anymore, they are so corrupt that we to do our best in order to survive. Please extend our thanks to all the nations who are helping.We will never forget.

November 15, 2013 at 8:17 pm |
  4. MILA RESMA CARR

Thank you CNN's Anderson Cooper for being in the locality where the Haiyan devastation is. I believe you just report what you have witnessed. Ms.Corina Sanchez couldn't have seen the extent of the devastation and the lack of direct government aid to the victims and the survivors because she was in Manila...she was not in the locality. Embarrassing as it maybe but It might take a foreign journalist for us Filipinos to know the truth. Thank you CNN!

November 15, 2013 at 7:40 pm |
  5. Aimee

We Filipinos are very, very grateful of what you and your country has done for us. We dont know how to repay your concern and kindness. God bless you always.

November 15, 2013 at 7:33 pm |
  6. Jose Suarez

i will be truely grateful if you could mention the town of Tabango, Leyte, a town of our forefathers, grandparents and all the relatives who have always help, they have not received any help from the govt. or any relief agency up to this date, but they know that the Alvarez, Suarez, Garcia etc etc families will help them but we need more all your help, at least mention the town o TABANGO, LEYTE need help, food medicine etc etc with hope any agency will act,. the people are figthing to survive bcuz they know it will come, but we can not cope. Thank you so much. Gob Bless you all.

November 15, 2013 at 7:26 pm |
  7. Pamela Adam

Mr. Cooper, thinking people, especially the Filipino population, are one with you in the issue. There is a thin line between reporting "the strength of the people" and whitewashing the lack of structure and efficiency in the relief operations that is going on in Tacloban City. It is with much shame that I apologize on how Ms. Korina Sanchez reacted to your unbiased news reporting. Sad to say, she did not realize that people could see through one's motives as one of sheer defensiveness or one of professionalism and transparency. The latter suffered for the sake of the previous. Not everyone in the Philippine Media are like her. Thank you for being there for the Filipino people during these trying times. Keep up the good work, and again, my sincerest apologies on her behalf.

November 15, 2013 at 7:22 pm |
  8. Bryan Khalid Villanueva

I am for accuracy and sincerity reporting and this is what I see on CNN, i salute CNN team and you Mr. Andersoon Cooper!
    Mabuhay!

November 15, 2013 at 6:53 pm |
  9. J.dacas

We salute you Sir Anderson Cooper !..Because of you, a lot of country"s helping us. Words are not enough to thank you and the US for providing more help than our government itself..Almost all filipinos says you are a Hero in our country..Thank you CNN.

November 15, 2013 at 6:49 pm |
  10. Lyn

Korina responds in a bias way, that's because as mentioned, she's the wife of an Interior Minister. Whereas, Mr. Cooper is a professional reporter who have many experiences with such calamities, he commented on what he saw in reality...in behalf of the Filipino people we thank you for all the help that we receive from all the countries who help our beloved Filipinas...God bless you all!!!!

November 15, 2013 at 6:36 pm |
  11. David Alexander

Thanks for going to the Philippines and reporting on the human tragedy there Anderson. No other country in the world has so much wealth that is not shared with its people. Do ask about the “pork barrel scandal” while you’re there – billions and billions of tax dollars diverted from the people and gone into the pockets of the politicians and their friends. If these dollars had instead gone into emergency preparedness by the government, the misery would be far less than it is???!!!

November 15, 2013 at 6:34 pm |
  12. Carlo

I will leave my comments short and simple. Anderson Cooper, THANK YOU for summarizing what Filipinos already intuitively know. Haiyan already caused thousands of deaths in Tacloban and people are progressively dying due Philippine government's lack of competence. Truth be told.

A concerned Filipino citizen

November 15, 2013 at 6:02 pm |
  13. Eric Capalla

We are very happy of your service to the Filipino people by reporting of what you see. We are very disappointed of what is going on in our country. Looking at the news and seeing the video made my family cry and hope that things will get better. All we can do here in the U.S. is pray and help the best we can to support the relief effort. Again, we support you.

November 15, 2013 at 5:57 pm |
  14. Roland

Mr. Cooper, I salute you for what you've done for my countrymen, You've done a tremendous job being an onsite witness and reporter to show the whole world the actual and real situation of the typhoon victims, I personally support you,, thank yo, thank you, thank you.... Keep up the good work your a Hero..

November 15, 2013 at 5:40 pm |
  15. Maribel lorian

Don't worry Anderson, you did a good job! You flew to the Philippines to help our own Country. As we Filipino citizen We really Appreciated you no matter some people mis interpret what you said maybe she mis understood.But we proud of you!!!! God Bless You and Your Family!

November 15, 2013 at 5:34 pm |
  16. Sharon Espinosa

I am a Filipino- American and I want to thank you will all my heart for all you are doing to disseminate fair and unbiased coverage of what's currently happening there in our country. Korina may talk as long as she wants in her comfortable news studio and with her princess-like hair, but my goes to you as you share yourself wholeheartedly with all the victims as they cry and plea for help as they strive to survive. Mabuhay Ka, Anderson ! (Long live, Anderson!) Maraming salamat ! ( Thank you very much. )

November 15, 2013 at 5:04 pm |
  17. Jeff

Anderson, we deeply appreciate your objective and professional reporting of the situation in Tacloban. You became a very significant instrument for the rest of the world to see what havoc the typhoon has made in our country. As between you and Ms. Sanchez, you are more credible. Ms Sanchez definitely has a conflict of interest, that is why I was not surprised that she defended the indefensible; the inept, incompetent, and inutile handling of the situation by the government led by none other than her husband. oh by the way, her husband is eyeing the philippine presidency in 2016.

November 15, 2013 at 4:31 pm |
  18. jun mark viscante

we honor you with every broadcast that you do thank you

November 15, 2013 at 4:27 pm |
  19. Susan

Thank you for your objectivity! Every reporter should be like you. I believe everything you said. Ignore Korina Sanchez. She is the most biased reporter. I do not care for her at all nor the Filipinos. No enough words to say how thankful I am for you to have come to the Philippines in this time of need.

November 15, 2013 at 4:14 pm |
  20. andrea leah velasco romero

Continue what your doing Mr. Cooper. You are doing us, not just Filipinos, but people around the world, a great service, by providing "on ground" reports. Domestic and local media need to be "checked and balanced" and their reports validated by independent media organizations.

November 15, 2013 at 4:10 pm |
  21. Jun Ferraren

I love my country but I hate our government....useless and very very corrupt.. they should have used the squandered money to purchase hundreds of helicopters, trucks, and heavy equipments to be used for times like these...our lame president is always talking about tuwid na daan ( straight path slogan) ..and literaly these roads are obliterated during time of disasters....he prioritized and channel peoples money to other un necessary suspicious projects that only benifited his cohorts...Mr aquino and your side of your inutile government...you only listen and consider things that you want to hear from international reporters...How I wish that election be held now...you will be gone wd the wind...

November 15, 2013 at 4:05 pm |
  22. ashley

There is nothing wrong with what Anderson reported. It is very accurate. It helped a lot in waking up the government and those in position to work. A lot is already helping is just that proper channeling for distribution is so lousy should I say because that is Philippine government is. They are fast in making " pa pogi" to media for their names but no works done.

November 15, 2013 at 4:01 pm |
  23. Milyn McManus

I'm from Leyte Province and my entire family live about an hour drive outside Tacloban. I watch all coverage I can find online and the CNN report, so I know a lot about what's going on over there in my home province. Mr. Cooper and all the CNN crew, I sincerely thank you all for everything that you do for my kababayans. We will never forget what America and all the countries around the world have done for us.

November 15, 2013 at 3:54 pm |
  24. Manila Johnny

Anderson,

We, the Filipino people, are behind you and CNN. Please don't let someone from the politics get in your nerves. We appreciate everyone from CNN, the rest of the world and most specially the Unites States of America.
    However, you Mr. Cooper, are the eyes and ears of the world. Thank you so much for the well-balanced reporting. The Philippines are in debt to you. Thank you.

November 15, 2013 at 3:28 pm |
  25. Don Pedroche

Anderson,

The Filipino community in the US is in full support of your actions. Keep up the good work!!!
    !
    "MABUHAY Ang FILIPINO"

November 15, 2013 at 3:21 pm |
  26. Miriam Katigbak

Thanks to Anderson Cooper for his live broadcasts from Tacloban. Anyone who says he "doesn't know what he's talking about" actually doesn't know what she's talking about.

November 15, 2013 at 2:48 pm |
  27. Bert Gomez

The CNN Reports are very accurate and I appreciate what they have done in terms of rallying the Filipino people not only here in North America but around the world to do something. Not just talk but action!

November 15, 2013 at 2:41 pm |
  28. Joann Tagaro (Dubai)

Thank you Anderson Cooper for your nice words about how strong Filipinos are. Just continue what you've started. Journalism is TRUTH ... God protects you and bless you always. I know you're heart with our fellowmen back in Visayas.

November 15, 2013 at 2:36 pm |
  29. lody cook

I'm a Filipino myself whose been living here in the united states.. Me and my family can't thank you enough the courage and caring that you've shown to our fellow country men. You did the right thing voicing out what you have observed after the disaster which caught a lot of people in our government including the President. Because of you the help that people needed came faster. People should not worried about something just a comment that lead to confusion. They should be worried doing something to helped their people. Once again thank you for the U.S. government for all the help and support and for You Mr. Anderson MABUHAY

November 15, 2013 at 1:58 pm |
  30. Jean

I am a US born Filipina living in SF. AC3 thank you for your hard work and excellent reporting! Because of you and your team's efforts, the world was accurately informed and people responded quickly to the call for assistance. Your coverage is bringing order to the relief efforts in the Philippines. Realistically, it could have been 100x worse if you did not arrive and point out what needed to be done. Keep up the amazing work! God bless and SALAMAT!

November 15, 2013 at 1:36 pm |
  31. John villas

I think she's is the one that doesnt know what she's talking about. We highly respsct you AC. And thanks you for helping us make the corrupt Politicians realize their mistakes. We Filipinos love's you.

November 15, 2013 at 1:33 pm |
  32. Guile

Sir,you had the courage to be in Tacloban..you saw everything first hand..the critic should do the same,see everything with their own eyes but they are not real reporters...
    I admire your courage...you and your other companions who went to Tacloban..
    Thank you for showing the world what is going on in our small country..how my country is suffering not only by the storm,but also by the people who run it..

November 15, 2013 at 1:32 pm |
  33. evelyn

I admire Mr. Anderson so much ! His concern with the filipino people or the victims of the typhoon and his daily coverage & updates about what is ACTUALLY happening in the area touches the heart of all the people in the entire world ! because of his reports .. different countries responded & give help more than what the country is asking for ... he don't deserve to be criticized !! but instead, he deserve to be honored for what he did to the Philippines!!!

November 15, 2013 at 12:28 pm |
  34. Allen

Thank you Anderson Cooper and to the rest of the CNN team for your excellent coverage of the aftermath of Haiyan in the Philippines. Your coverage surely exposes the corrupt and inefficient Philippine government.

November 15, 2013 at 12:27 pm |
  35. JPerez

The Philippines government generally gets away with doing whatever they want. Now, with this disaster, the entire world is watching and they don't want to be criticized. Shame on Mar Roxas and his wife. If anything, the Philippines government should admit they were not prepared and do not have the resources necessary to respond even relatively quickly to natural disasters of this magnitude.

November 15, 2013 at 12:11 pm |
  36. Laura Martin

I was so broken hearted last night after watching Anderson explain my he was banished to Manilla! He is ALWAYS the first reporter on site at all our recent disasters! He has always been forthright and honest in his reporting, making sure we all know what the conditions are. What help is desperately needed. And letting the people tell their stories in their own words, so we know what they are going through. To accuse him of lying is outrageous! I am so sorry that such a good, honest and kind man was falsely accused of lying due to Politics and the Philippine Government not wanting the truth of how they have failed their people known! Anderson, keep up the good work!

November 15, 2013 at 12:09 pm |
  37. Tony Gloria

Thank you Anderson Cooper for your reporting!

November 15, 2013 at 11:51 am |
  38. Maria Castro

Mr. Anderson, Thank you! You are doing a great job showing & broadcasting "reality" in the ground of Tacloban, Leyte. You & your team flew miles and miles to cover the devastations caused by the storm. For that alone I personally thank you. And you are right, you guys are not from there yet you are in the middle of the hard hit Tacloban broadcasting the truth. More power to you & your crew.

November 15, 2013 at 11:33 am |
  39. Deb Hamilton

I have watched most of Anderson Cooper's reporting. He always features the stories about people living through these disasters with compassion and sensitivity. I think the interior Ministers comments were unfair and unwarranted.

November 15, 2013 at 11:29 am |
  40. Mimi nacario

Thank you so much for your honest reporting and for your help. I have to listen to your segment every nite to keep me updated with the situation. I live in NY but my family is in Higatangan Island, Naval , Biliran . Our area was heavily hit as it traversed into our area then to Cebu. Our cash help is not helping much bec the town bank has been paralyzed and the amount you can buy rice now has been controlled. The island can only be reached by a motor boat and there's a shortage of gas at his time. I just hope and pray that the relief goods will reach our area as soon as possible. Thank you..

November 15, 2013 at 11:01 am |
  41. Ber Abella Mangilin

I salute Mr. Anderson Cooper for being such a gentleman as he acknowledge criticism thrown to him, however I really believe that he was saying the truth and his report was indeed NOT bias.

November 15, 2013 at 10:54 am |
  42. Dtridallyn Panes

As a fiipino I would like to say that Yes I do believe you because we can also see and feel the lack of drastic effort of our government to address the needs of our fellow countrymen who survive the super typhoon but now badly suffering the aftermath of it.Thank you for slapping the face of our Government by your true and non bias reporting coz right now it is making a great change on how they should deal with this situation..Day 7 after Yolanda everything is suddenly improving after your last report,ateast day by day they are now working hard to save more lives..they are now making double effort and it is all because of you..Mabuhay ka Anderson Cooper and for us Filipinos you are very much welcome here in our land,we appreciate all the efforts of the international news especially CNN!

November 15, 2013 at 10:52 am |
  43. mylene

hi anderson,

You based your news coverage on what you actually saw in Tacloban and I commend you on that...there are things that needs to be voice out. I myself agree on what you just reported and thats the truth. Keep it up. We needed that voice. 🙂

November 15, 2013 at 10:49 am |
  44. Catherine Rosales

I sincerely believe this guy!

November 15, 2013 at 10:45 am |
  45. Neri Layco

Thank you so much Anderson! Thank you so much CNN!

November 15, 2013 at 10:43 am |
  46. Austin Mangoba

Thank You, Mr. Anderson Cooper for actually going to Tacloban and witness the hard and harsh reality of the aftermath of the storm. I would like to thank CNN for their extensive coverage of the Philippines while other national news organizations have a lesser degree of coverage. Your honest reporting is very much appreciated by us here in America, and also by my fellow countrymen in the Philippines. It does seem that the Philippine government was ill-prepared for the aftermath of the storm, but I can also say, the Philippines have never suffered the worst typhoon of this magnitude. If a hurricane as strong as Typhoon Haiyan were to hit or affect the United States, I don't think the government will be as prepared or as efficient in doing the relief efforts just because of the extensive destruction, lack of electricity, absence of communication, and massive casualties. It is just that we will have to work together to survive this, to be more cooperative with our neighbors, to sacrifice for the well-being of others, and not solely depend on the government, rather doing something positive for the sake of recovery. God Bless You All.

November 15, 2013 at 10:41 am |
  47. Justine Lucero

Don't ever apologize for telling the truth. We filipino's are very thankful for showing the world what is really happening there. Your coverage make us realize that we should put more effort to help each other. Thank you for putting your own time and effort to keep us all well informed. 🙂

November 15, 2013 at 10:41 am |
  48. tyrone ty

I was lucky to get to Tacloban a day before Anderson Cooper. I must say i agree with him and saw the same thing. That was day four. people were asking were Mar and the Mayor were. Everybody they thought they were dead. They come out on the 5th day on TV looking freshly showered. Story behind that we don't know. But that didn't look good for them.

November 15, 2013 at 10:41 am |
  49. Catherine Rosales

I love you Anderson Cooper. Just continue doing you're job. I know that more people are on your side. We, Filipinos, and the people around the world know the truth. Thank you for giving unbiased reports. And lastly, thank you for listening to our people's plea and cry for help.

November 15, 2013 at 10:38 am |
  50. josie

thank you for being good to my country philippines.

November 15, 2013 at 10:34 am |