November 12th, 2013

The race to find typhoon victims

It is a race against time to find missing typhoon victims. Survivors and the dead are buried under piles of rubble. Nick Paton Walsh has the latest on the search.

Post by:
Filed under: Nick Paton Walsh • Typhoon Haiyan
  1. Jaycee

The Filipino people finally is getting a fair and unbiased reporting from a world-class reporter and a top rate news crew. Thank you for bringing focus and attention to the tragedy in Tacloban. Whatever little progress has been made in the relief effort, no doubt it is due to CNN’s relentless reporting.

Officials in the Philippine government are famous for its corruption and incompetence. People are concerned that all this massive aid coming from foreign nations and international community will only end up in corrupt politicians and their cronies. Many are reluctant to donate money. Your continued reporting will at least ensure that all these aids get to those who really needed it.

Like myself, I know many Filipino-Americans here in the US are deeply grateful for the help of US government and US military. God bless the US Marines. God bless America!

Great job in your excellent reporting!

November 14, 2013 at 12:02 am |
  2. Angeli

Hey Anderson Cooper, I hope you read my post. I admire you for your work and you have been doing great reporting about the disaster in the Philippines. I head that the Minister of the Interior was upset about a tweet that you supposedly wrote saying that there is no military presence in Tacloban. You have clarified in your show just now that you did not send that tweet and that you never made that statement. You did say that there is little military presence in that city, and that there is no organized effort to search for missing people (some may have been still alive under the rubble during the first few days), or to dispose of the bodies out which have been rotting on the streets for the past 5 days. I have to tell you Anderson, the Philippine government (and yes I am a Filipino who has immigrated to the US, thank God), is the one of the most corrupt governments in the whole world. This corruption is ingrained in the culture and has been going on for the past 50 years. These government officials have no clue how to help the Filipino people b/c they have never done so. The only thing they know how to do is steal from the people and line their pockets with money. They bribe people and they hire people to kill other people. I am very saddened about the plight of my country. The Filipino people deserve better. I am thankful for the people all over the world who have donated to the international organizations. They need all the help they can get. Anderson, keep on reporting the truth. These gov't officials need to be exposed to the whole world. They should be ashamed of themselves. Take care and thanks again to you and your CNN crew. Keep up the good work!

November 13, 2013 at 8:37 pm |
  3. Irene

First, I want to take for taking the time to cover the tragedy in the Philippines. We live in here in the U.S. And give us the opportunity to lean what happened to our native country. My grandparents died from typhoon Haiyan and my aunt is in Cebu trying to retrieve my grandparents bodies. It seemed that they are stranded in Cebu Airport. Everything seeems so slow that my grandparents bodies are decomposed and maybe too late to recover! Please help!

November 13, 2013 at 8:24 pm |
  4. Robert Noble

Anderson,
    Keep the excellent job of journalism. Your report is vey accurate as we have seen on live TV. There are news media in the Philippines who may have hidden agenda that will say otherwise but can not prove their point. One the newscaster is married to a politician and she loves to be in front page for publicity reason only.

November 13, 2013 at 8:20 pm |
  5. Peasey

Since Aquino would rather whine and blame local Leyte officials, I think Mayor Rody Duterte of Davao City should head up the leadership of search and rescue AND getting help out the small towns in Leyte. He seems to be the only one with a good head on his shoulders and one that actually CARES!!!

November 13, 2013 at 12:02 pm |
  6. MJG

It has been discussed among other overseas Filipinos that we hope our donations and packages of aid are directly going to those who need it. We know that the government officials have been known to siphon off their people – living comfortable while their people suffer in poverty.
    There should most definitely be some public scrutiny and accountability. The corruption accounts for the slow progress there all this time. The very reason my parents are reluctant to help give money, etc.

November 13, 2013 at 11:20 am |
  7. Stephanie

Thank you CNN for your coverage on Victims of Typhoon Haiyan and for spreading the news that they need a lot of help since the government has not provided them including my family in tacloban the necessity to survive after the typhoon. Thank you and please continue your efforts!

November 13, 2013 at 11:02 am |
  8. Merle

Thank you so much Anderson for showing the world the truth and unbiased journalism. My family lost two loved ones and still concerned of their well being. My mom is still there and did not hear from her until the 4th day after my Uncle got a chance to call my aunt in a static call just learning they're okay but no food,no water and looking for food. My mom was in the smaller towns of Tacloban that was also greatly affected with the super typhoon. We were so concerned as they have medical conditions to make sure they have food. As the situation got so intense as other relatives reporting of violence due to starvation and desperation our fear of their safety heightened. You are right, less presence of military to control the situation. People got killed out of desperation of food and to strive to live and mindful of other lives but just their own. My brother beg for help to search my mom and was told " you are on your own here and no one can help you". What our family has to go through here in the US and every part of the world, our family stand united to send our own loved ones to search for all. But the fear of getting killed based on our relatives report on actual happening really added to our stressful search of my mom and loved ones. Everything was on place of our rescue family team convoy and a call was placed that they are fleeing through Ormoc City to Cebu. I could not imagine how others are still feeling helpless searching for their loved ones. The smell of death they have to live due to uncollected bodies everywhere. I called and have asked for Philippine government to step up to think other countries have travelled and made it there so fast to help. Take care and stay safe. I am waiting for my mom and relatives safe arrival in Cebu City and can Face Time. My family is thankful for your concern to our beloved Tacloban, Leyte Philippines.

November 13, 2013 at 10:47 am |
  9. ibarra's friend Elias

Juan Kawawa: Mr. Cooper and to the rest of the CNN crew: thank you so much for your detailed reporting and all-out-support to the Filipino people. Our local media is not reporting the real situation coz some of them are friends of the President and they control the media. Korina Sanchez specifically is the wife of our incompetent DILG Sec Mar Roxas.

We hope that you could also start looking into the large-scale corruption perpetuated by the Aquino Administration and expose how the President paid off the whole Congress to have the former Supreme Court Justice Renato Corona impeached. They have plundered the nation and continues to do so using this Haiyan Calamity as an excuse. Please, please, help the Filipino people.

November 13, 2013 at 8:53 am |
  10. Mallory

I just watched Anderson coopers coverage earlier tonight of the typhoon. Very different and much more eye opening than the Filipino channel coverage we are seeing. I have family in the Leyte area, Buraien which is approx 40 minutes or so from Tacloban. It has been over a,week no word. Not even a mention on the news. We are,quite worried of the situation of our families. Please other towns need help and need coverage as well. I wish I was there even just to check their well being we are worried sick & not even a,mention on the news of their area.

November 13, 2013 at 8:32 am |
  11. Anne Hall

THIS IS A PLEA. PLEASE COVER HERNANI, EASTERN SAMAR where the first landfall happened. My 87 years old grandfather is there together with other survivors. THEY HAVE BEEN HUNGRY FOR 5 DAYS. NO RELIEF GOODS ON SIGHT. SOME SMALL ISLANDS NEAR HERNANI HAVE BEEN TOTALLY WASHED OFF, ZERO SURVIVORS. PLEASE MR.COOPER. WE BEG YOU.

November 13, 2013 at 7:32 am |
  12. Liza. Gatdula

My name is Liza , from Las vegas Nevada and a Filipina. I have a suggestions that will help the poor people affected by the storm haiyan....Dont trust our government..they were all corrupt...It is now 5 days and still no help from them, you know what theyre doing...they were busy counting the money donated from all over the world and making decisions how to divide it by themselves with all corrupt officials of the government. if you heard donations coming in the philippines, it is better to have it to go straight to the people rather than brought it to govt...it will not arrive there...trust me, they dont care what ever happens to them, all they care is money, money, money..Theyre all greedy and I hope theyre souls rot in hell...if you pls, Mr cooper, have this broadcast on news..spread that our govt is not helping the people and the donations went to their own pockets...This makes me really mad and I hate them, really hate them...I hope God will come down and let this officials brought to HIS justice..I personally thank you Mr Cooper for helping my countrymen personally present in the phillipines..Now you know what kind of govt we have there...I was really so ashamed..can you account also if possible all donations and where they are? Pls dont mention my name if its possible..let me be ananimous there...thanks and God bless you

November 13, 2013 at 6:19 am |
  13. Evelyn Cayaban

Anderson, thank you for your help in broadcasting from the Philippines and through this being able to send out to the whole world the help we need. Why is there no strong Philippine efforts. I think one reason is our Vice-President Binay was busy attending a birthday party 2 nights ago. I will send you a photo that was posted on Facebook.

November 13, 2013 at 2:00 am |