July 23rd, 2013

Race and Justice in America: Hidden Bias

The George Zimmerman verdict started a new conversation about race in America.  Sometimes racism is blatant and easy to spot.  But all too often, bias is hidden in plain sight.  It's an issue I discussed with BET's Michaela Angela Davis, David Webb, co-founder of Tea Party 365, and Andre Perry, founding  Dean of Urban Education at Davenport University.

1. Tanya Weldon

I am enjoying your Race in America series. The doll study is interesting b/c when my daughter was young she'd get a barbie from santa each year & i'd make sure santa knew that she needed a VARIETY of barbies...blonde, african american, latina, redhead...anything offered even though she was blonde w/blue eyes. As she got older she's always had friends based on WHO they are not WHAT they are. I was raised the same way & I guess that's why all the hate I've seen from the pro-zimmerman/pro-gun side has really burst my bubble the past few months. I don't so much believe the trial broke down to whites vs blacks as much as gun owners vs non gun owners. Just my opinion b/c I've seen many races in hoodies at the rallies on tv. As for the "whites thinking race is discussed too much", i think this could be a more harmless reason...maybe they thought the bad times were over?! I could be naive but growing up in the south I never saw anyone harassed b/c of skin color in my town, never saw any skinheads or KKK-ers. It was something that HAD happened but wasn't happening NOW. Trayvon changed that for me. Not his murder, the vile that has been thrown my way when I've voiced my opinion since. Again, maybe I'm naive or white privileged I just was happy that the world had progressed & everyone was getting along! Wow i was WRONG!!! And I don't quite know what to tell my 22 & 21 yr old children now b/c I am so very sad.

July 27, 2013 at 9:55 pm |
  2. Mary Simpson

You know everyone is making this Trayvon Martin murder case out to be about racism. The media has brought up another case about a black, young man being killed by a white man, also in Florida. The media doesn't bring out the murders of white people being killed by black people. Don't get me wrong, I love all kinds of people. One of my best friends is black, but, they are carrying this out of porportion. Has anyone ever heard of Jonathan Paul Foster? I don't think the media has. He was a 7-year-old while boy who was killed by a black woman. She kidnapped him on Christmas Eve 2010. She tied him up with twine and burned him with a blow-torch beyond recognition. Has anyone from the media interviewed his parents about what kind of a child he was? It'd be undescribeable to think about losing a child, no matter the race. I think the media needs to focus on the most important news and after the verdicts of these kinds of murder trials end, go onto something else.

July 25, 2013 at 9:09 pm |
  3. Kim

Lisa,

Amazing you noticed the lack of diversity in the expert panel. What about the lack of diversity in the George Zimmerman jury?

July 25, 2013 at 11:07 am |
  4. Christine

One of the most powerful, thought-provoking programs I have seen in a long time. We are ALL responsible for our perceptions and actions and make adjustments that are fair and realistic and not based on preconceived notions. Thank you for bringing this to the forefront. I know my actions will change because of it.

July 24, 2013 at 2:03 pm |
  5. Fr. Dennis Kriz, OSM

This was a STUNNING Town Hall Meeting that you folks organized on the subject of Race and Justice in America. PLEASE PUT THIS ENTIRE PROGRAM online. It could serve as a reference point for discussion on the subject for years to come. (And if it doesn't become available, honestly it will become as if it never happened ...)

July 24, 2013 at 1:22 pm |
  6. Bob Chrisman

Hello As I watched Anderson Cooper's panel discuss race issues that are prevalent in our society, I was surprised by your stations choice of a so called expert attorney, Mr Jose Baez. He received notoriety for the trial and victory on behalf of Ms.Casey Anthony , here in Central Florida. I would like to remind you that at the conclusion of the trial, Mr. Baez asked the Judge for a "Miss Trial". Your expert attorney mis-read the jury and the strength of his case, and tried to give away the winning hand. In my opinion, at best, Mr Baez was very lucky... An expert ?? I don't agree.. I enjoyed your report and points made last night. Great job CNN!!!

July 24, 2013 at 9:52 am |
  7. Lisa Copeland

a show about racial bias with only black people! what's wrong with this pic???? where are the native americans, whites, asian, hispanic, etc. ? If you really want an open discussion, u need all the angles, right ac?

July 24, 2013 at 4:16 am |
    • Charles Silas

Whats wrong with this picture is the 'backdrop' behind the show was the events that lead to the death of Travvon Martin. No disrespect is meant but he wasn't native, white, or Hispanic, and because of the events African Americans like myself have no answers for what our children ESPECIALLY young black males should do in the face of adversity. Not the law, or the police, but a regular Do Gooder, that racially profiled the victim. These incidents are constant, and though some really don't want to hear it, or put their heads in the sand, which doesn't work for those whom are living under the gun. It is quite easy to live in a Tower, and look down on the peasants and wonder why they're living the way they are, and keep it moving. Some eyes will never see whats actually they're by choice, because to see it, equates to admitting they'res a problem.

July 24, 2013 at 9:41 pm |
    • Mike Cope

I agree! We all as a people need to speak freely without pointing fingers and hear all sides.

July 25, 2013 at 6:03 pm |