July 16th, 2013

O'Mara to prosecution: accept the ruling

Zimmerman defense attorneys Mark O'Mara and Don West spoke out tonight on AC360.

They talked to Anderson about challenges experienced during the trial and reacted to a comment made by Florida prosecutor Angela Corey during an HLN interview.

1. Arnie

We as Americans should respect the "Not Guilty" verdict. That's what a trial is all about. I went into this trial thinking Manslaughter but after viewing the trial word by word everyday I too would have voted not guilty because of doubt. I cannot figure out why someone from the neighborhood didn't go out to help!!! Where were these neighbors? In my neighborhood if someone cries for help I immediately go out, which I have done twice, to help them. I'm a mother only 4'9" tall and 67 yrs old but I was taught if someone needs help – you just do it even if you end up getting hurt yourself. At least you did your civic duty. I bet a lot of the people that are against the verdict also would not let their children serve our country in the military. We should applaud people who are willing to step up. Another thing-if anyone has ever hit their head on cement would know what Mr. Zimmerman was feeling. I have been there and you feel dizzy, disoriented and scared. So my prayers are for both families in this tragedy but justice has prevailed.

July 17, 2013 at 12:28 pm |
  2. Luis P.

Two Questions: 1) Is there any solid evidence presented in the trial which showed that race played a part in this incident, or is this merely a conjecture? 2) If Zimmerman did not have gun, what would have been the most likely outcome from this confrontation?

July 16, 2013 at 11:41 pm |
  3. Grandpa Joe

In regards to the coroner in the George Zimmerman case that claimed to have “forgotten” the pivotal findings in the case. I am disgusted that he is being paid with my tax dollars and should be immediately reprimanded, fired and tried for criminal negligence. He has made a mockery of our judicial system, and I’m embarrassed to know the world has seen the holes in our system. His testimony could have had a pivotal impact on the outcome of the case, and would have defined the trajectory of the bullet, and consequentially would have shed light on the position of Trayvon Martin & George Zimmerman during the events in question. These circumstances cause me to suspect the case was rigged, and with an account on the stand of remembering zero of the case, I’m not persuaded to think anything else. Let’s rise together and make sure this coroner pays the price for his negligence.

July 16, 2013 at 11:35 pm |
  4. DMA

Juror B37 states she does not believe Zimmerman's head was repeatedly slammed on concrete! If that's so, everything else falls apart! That was the premise of the defenses case, that slab of concrete was Trayvon's weapon. It is very apparent that his head was not slammed repeatedly against concrete, he sustained a minor abrasion to his scalp. When a head is truly slammed against concrete, a serious traumatic brain is sustained. I do not feel sincerity in juror B37 voice, her cry is entirely fake. Her mind was made up before the trial!

July 16, 2013 at 9:30 pm |
  5. Hari V

Why is CNN not interviewing the prosecutor who put up a poor supporting argument for Trayvon Martin? Why can't CNN ask the prosecutor all those crucial questions?

July 16, 2013 at 9:12 pm |
  6. Anne vonQualen

George Zimmermann could have avoided killing Travon Martin by addressing himself as the Community Watch Captain and asking Travon if he lived in the community. Then perhaps a dialogue would have started preventing Travon and George getting into some sort of scuffle. It seems apparent that George was never trained in the proper community watch approach seeing strangers in the community. As a community leader, we were always told to never approach anyone but only to report them to either the police or the management contact. George was a coward and I am disappointed that he was not charged with at least manslaughter for his negligence.

July 16, 2013 at 4:01 pm |
  7. William G. Harper

I think the Zimmerman verdict is an irrational one. As I see it, Trayvon Martin knew he was being followed so he chose to stand his ground to find out why. With no response from Zimmerman, Martin was in fear of bodily harm or death.

Martin was standing his ground not Zimmerman. Zimmerman is definitly guilty because he followed Martin after being told not to follow him. Zimmerman caused the death of Martin out of pure stupidity. And I question why a neighborhood watchman was carrying a gun. His duty was to watch, and not play policeman.

I am appalled at this verdict. It is so obvious that Zimmerman is guilty in the death of Martin. All lawyers involved in this case should be diibarred for not bringing out the truth.

July 16, 2013 at 1:45 pm |
  8. Kiara Banks

Where is the proof that George Zimmerman was attacked by Trayvon Martin? Proof. And not of a fight. But that Trayvon initially attacked Zimmerman. I have missed it somehow.

July 16, 2013 at 11:05 am |
  9. Amanda Banks

I agree. How is it that Trayvon attacking Zimmerman is more than word of mouth?

July 16, 2013 at 11:01 am |
  10. Kay

Somehow I have missed the proof that Trayvon attacked Zimmerman. I know that Zimmerman has said so, but what is the proof?

July 16, 2013 at 10:45 am |
    • Hans

For everyone wondering what the proof of Martin attacking Zimmerman is, it was in the investigative reports and the coroner's report. Martin has no marks on him other than on his hands from striking Zimmerman. Zimmerman did not have any marks on his hands, but did have evidence of being struck. You also have eyewitnesses who saw Trayvon on top of and striking Zimmerman. The descriptions of the clothing worn by the person on top matched Trayvon's and the clothing of the man on the bottom matched Zimmerman.

July 19, 2013 at 1:59 pm |
  11. Juan McKinnis

Did anyone one consider the fact that, Trayvon Martin may have felt that his life was endangered. What type of emotions would most people would feel in this sisitution. DId have the right to stand his ground

July 16, 2013 at 9:40 am |