Tonight on AC360: Zimmerman trial day 8
July 3rd, 2013

Tonight on AC360: Zimmerman trial day 8

During the eighth day of George Zimmerman's second-degree murder trial prosecutors presented DNA evidence from clothing worn by George Zimmerman and Trayvon Martin the night of the shooting. DNA from Zimmerman's gun and holder were also examined.

George's former criminal litigation teacher, Alexis Carter, testified about covering Florida's self-defense laws extensively. Carter described him as an "A" student, countering a claim by Zimmerman during a 2012 Fox News interview replayed in court where George claimed he didn't know about Florida's "Stand Your Ground" laws until after the shooting.

The defense presented a firearms expert from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement, Amy Siewert, who examined Zimmerman's gun. She showed jurors the trigger must be pulled to fire the gun, and wouldn't fire accidentally. Siewert also said the gun had a fully loaded magazine and one bullet in the chamber ready to fire the night of Martin's shooting.

Martin family attorney, Daryl Parks, speaks out tonight on AC360 about whether or not Sabrina Fulton will testify and if Trayvon's past should be included in the trial.

Tune in at 8, 10, and 11 p.m. ET tonight for in depth coverage and legal analysis of the George Zimmerman trial.

1. sue

omg what is wrong with this judge does she really think there is a phone fairy that breaks into a teens double password phone app at night and adds messages. Not. teens are seldom separated from their phone and sleep not far from it if not with it.

July 9, 2013 at 10:45 pm |
  2. Connie Wilson

My questions are simple. Why do most of the pictures you show of Trayvon Martin seem to me to be of a 14-16 year old boy? I thought he was 17-18.

July 8, 2013 at 8:30 pm |
  3. Shirley

I was with everyone else when this shooting happened and thought that George was guilty period. I am now ashamed that I was so quick to judge. I have been watching the trial since it started and with the prosecutions testimony have now doubted everything I thought to date. If I was to judge this today, I would have to say George is innocent and this is totally based on the prosecutions case. I will wait to see what the defense has to say for my final judgement. I do think that we were all, including the media and the president so quick to judge. I am ashamed that I did not wait for the trial and took the media and public opinion to be my own.

July 6, 2013 at 11:25 am |
  4. barry chase

If Zimmerman had his mouth covered by martin should there not be a lot of his DNA on martins palms. Was Zimmerman,s body tested for martins DNA .

July 4, 2013 at 7:19 pm |
  5. Raymond Stelfox

Was it G. Zimmerman intent to be of a service to the neighborhood by asking a person (can I help you?), when Trayvon was saying something to him when the windows of Zimmerman's car were rolled up. Could Zimmerman not have identified himself as Neighborhood Watchman at that time, safely locked away in his car with just the window cracked, instead of coldly staring him down. When Zimmerman left his car it ceased to be Neighborhood Watcher to Neighborhood Hunter.

July 4, 2013 at 3:18 pm |
  6. Bryan Preston

The prosecution is inexperienced in this sort of case, because rational government attorneys do not typically charge a victim who was almost murdered.

Putting together the transcript of Zimmerman’s call, the eyewitness account and a map of the area, one can conclude a number of things. Zimmerman lost sight of Martin for a few minutes. Martin’s temporary residence was about 100’ away. If Martin wanted to flee, he could have gone home without further contact. Instead, Martin confronted Zimmerman while Zimmerman was returning to his vehicle. Martin led with a ‘king hit’ to the face, which broke Zimmerman’s nose and knocked him to the ground. Martin then straddled Zimmerman, repeatedly striking him and slamming Zimmerman’s head on the concrete walkway for up to a minute. Zimmerman showed remarkable restraint in waiting that long before drawing his pistol and only firing one shot. A law officer in that position would have used his weapon much sooner and would likely have emptied his magazine into his or her attacker. And it makes no difference that the attacker is ‘unarmed’. Head trauma can kill.

It seems likely that Zimmerman was so disoriented by the sudden attack that he forgot he was armed. No premeditation, no evil intent – rather it was justifiable self defense.

July 4, 2013 at 4:54 am |
  7. jemal

i am following this issue , and we know Zimmerman killed Travon ,but is there any evidence , scientific or eye witness that Zimmerman"s injury caused by Travon.

July 3, 2013 at 11:13 pm |
    • Christoban

Of course there is plenty of evidence. The injuries were documented at the crime scene, so unless you think he injured himself (bashed the back of his own head against concrete, broke his own nose), in just a few seconds and while everyone watched w/o any of them seeing him do it, then yeah, Trayvon did the deed.

July 5, 2013 at 1:04 am |
  8. Mike

While watching the coverage those past few days, I started thinking HOW,and WHY the discussion would be if 2 of the people involved had different skin colors......Trayvon being white and the friend on the phone a young lady white from an ivy league school......I don't have the answer either but am just saying.;Can that also explain why some folks feels that O.J was due a pass? Just saying

July 3, 2013 at 9:10 pm |
  9. Joshua Cook

Any chance you could stop talking about this Trayvon Martin trial? Nobody needs a play by play for this thing, it's boring. I work swing shift and we have to watch CNN at lunch and I would like to be entertained or informed about relevant topics during this time period but for now all I hear about is this silly trial. Give us bigger news will ya? Please!

July 3, 2013 at 8:55 pm |
  10. bill maze

just wondering in the Zimmerman trail if the mother gets on stand or any other member of the martin family can the defense ask if he was a good kid, not into trouble with police school etc. and if they can then they can bring out the things he has done.

July 3, 2013 at 8:00 pm |
    • Christoban

I doubt that would generate sympathy for the defense. It's not necessary anyway. Trayvon sent a text to someone a few days before the shooting asking if he could purchase a gun. He sent the text simultaneously while texting his mom, promising to reform the ways which prompted her to send him to live with his father. The GALL of it.

July 5, 2013 at 1:22 am |
  11. Sylvia

I am concern that no one has picked up on the fact that this 17 year old boy,(Travon Martin), trying to get away from someone following him, (George Zimmerman), confronts him and to quote the person following him, “I went for my phone”. How did the child know what he was looking for on his person? Just saying…..

July 3, 2013 at 7:53 pm |