As AC360 first reported back in December 2012, the Veterans Administration hospital in Pittsburgh had high levels of Legionella bacteria in its water supply, but for months failed to solve the problem.
Staff and patients weren't made aware of the issue, and at least five patients died. Eventually drinking fountains were sealed off and patients stopped getting baths and showers, but it was too late for some of those who came into contact with the bacteria.
Victims' families are livid about how the problem was mishandled. "There were deaths before him that we didn't know about. We wouldn't have gone there ... He had a good outlook on life. He felt he had more time left," says Sandy Riley whose brother Mitch Wanstreet died after contracting Legionnaire's disease at the hospital.
Now the VA's inspector general confirms in a scathing report that hospital administrators knew they had a serious situation but didn't address it. CNN's Drew Griffin has an update to his original report, including an unsettling development: a top administrator received a bonus despite the deadly outbreak.
Anderson Cooper goes beyond the headlines to tell stories from many points of view, so you can make up your own mind about the news. Tune in weeknights at 8 and 10 ET on CNN.
Questions or comments? Send an email
Want to know more? Go behind the scenes with