One day, Urooj Khan jumped for joy after scoring a $1 million winner on an Illinois lottery scratch ticket.
The next month, he was dead.
Investigators initially ruled Khan's manner of death natural. But after being prompted by a relative, the medical examiner's office in Cook County, Illinois, revisited the case and eventually determined there was a lethal amount of cyanide in Khan's system.
"That ... led us to issue an amended death certificate that (established) cyanide toxicity as the cause of death, and the manner of death as homicide," Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Steve Cina said Monday.
Anderson Cooper goes beyond the headlines to tell stories from many points of view, so you can make up your own mind about the news. Tune in weeknights at 8 and 10 ET on CNN.
Questions or comments? Send an email
Want to know more? Go behind the scenes with