December 31st, 2012

Tonight: Anderson and Kathy's New Year's Eve show

Anderson Cooper and Kathy Griffin are back together for an epic New Year's Eve show live from Times Square! The celebration begins at 10 p.m. ET on CNN.

Check out the live blog for photos and updates from our hosts, reporters and producers, and tweet your wishes for 2013 with #cnnnye.

GO BEHIND THE SCENES

1. taylor

I am really disappointed in CNN for letting griffin on after last year. Once I saw her on CNN I couldn't change the channel fast enough.

January 1, 2013 at 8:59 pm |
  2. teri mercer

Generally I enjoy CNN and consider them a great source of reliable information. I checked in periodically last night, New Year's Eve, but kept changing the channel because I couldn't stand Kathy Griffin. I found her to be rude and obnoxious. She was on with Anderson Cooper again tonight and her behavior was once again rude and obnoxious. This is her shtick. She doesn't belong on a respectable station like CNN.

January 1, 2013 at 8:57 pm |
  3. Catherine G

I have a great sense of humor, but I think that that Kathy Griffin really went too far last night on the New Year's Eve show. She takes away the credibility of Anderson Cooper. I think there will be backlash from that broadcast.

January 1, 2013 at 8:22 pm |
    • bob mcclellan Denver

Griffin has no class whatsoever. Anderson should dump her and if lucky, never be in the same room with that vulgar woman again. Wake up CNN.

January 1, 2013 at 9:32 pm |
  4. bob

u need to split guys, u r no good its like seeing movies from ape ages,watching you u 2 is a bad start for new year.

January 1, 2013 at 7:45 pm |
  5. Carol McElarney

Being a resident of Washington county Maine I was happily looking forward to enjoying our wonderful Eastport on CNN's New years celebration. What a disappointment to be overwhelmed by a non stop verbal assault by Kathy Griffin. She overpowered the event with babbling commentary that was so beside the point. Barely a glimpse of Eastport or any of the other locations. I thought watching on TV I would be able to witness more than if I went in to see it in person. What a mistake! Anderson Cooper didn't stand a chance. What a waste. Very disappointed in what could have been a fun evening and a glimpse of other places on a happy New Yeat's celebration. Eastport is a great place and deserved a better introduction! thank you

January 1, 2013 at 7:43 pm |
  6. Lou Math

All i could think about saying as i watched for 20 seconds was " Forgive them Lord, Forgive their lewdness, vulgarity, and immaturity, For they no not what they do.... How low have we decended as a civilization. For there was nothing "civil" about their behavior. Does mankind even know the meaning of the word, ashamed?....Does anyone get offended at ANYTHING anymore? It just made so sad for mankind. To literally sell your soul for money... Please wake up and find you morals, AMERICA. Is watching people do and say anything for a laugh worth selling your soul... please, at least, think about it... so, so sad

Is you Morality bar so low it

January 1, 2013 at 7:21 pm |
  7. Judi

Kathy ruined the New Years Eve coverage with her horrible comments and discusting remarks. Seriously CNN you can do better. Anderson you should be embarrassed to be associated with her. Her coverage and comments of Eastport maines New Years ruined what was a great night in Eastport. CNN was a GUEST of Eastport and everyone who came from CNN was treated great only to see the coverage they provided to be so bad. CNN should think twice before hiring Kathy again. Being discusting is not funny....it is just plain inappropriate.

January 1, 2013 at 7:10 pm |
  8. gailla

please anderson dont do another show like n y e, it was just awful and kathy is horrible. u are a news paper man and to act like that makes u look really bad. if u do this next year please no cathy

January 1, 2013 at 6:59 pm |
  9. David Hobbs

I have appreciated Anderson Copper and developed a trust of his investigative reporting. Why would the powers at CNN have Kathy Griffin on with her antics that are vulgar and disrespectful of your viewers. It was very obvious that Anderson was not a part this New Years program that included the vulgar idiot behavior. It wasn't as if CNN did not know what a loose cannon Griffin is. CNN obviously does not appreciate what an asset Mr. Copper is or they would not have put him in this situation.

January 1, 2013 at 6:01 pm |
  10. Brian

The Cooper-Griffin NY Eve tag team was hilarious!

January 1, 2013 at 5:42 pm |
  11. David McNulty

Subject: "Anderson Cooper and Kathy Griffin are back together for an epic New Year's Eve 12/31/12"
    Comment: Kathy Griffin is a pathetic, humorless, self aggrandizing hussy infatuated exclusively with hustling her own has-been career!

January 1, 2013 at 4:43 pm |
  12. littlewolf3580

I love watching these two. Kathy keeps Anderson giggling like a small child. These two are great together. Keep up hte great work CNN.

January 1, 2013 at 4:31 pm |
  13. Tracy

Why, oh why, does CNN keep bringing Kathy Griffin on? She showed tonight, once again, by kissing Anderson Cooper's "sardine" that she is as class-less as they come. I am so done with CNN...

January 1, 2013 at 4:10 pm |
  14. Kathleen Kleaveland

I think your New Years Eve show was disgusting as it was last year only worse this year. Kathy is a disgrace and I am very disapointed in Anderson. His news programs and New Years program are miles apart. I won't be watching next year.

January 1, 2013 at 4:08 pm |
  15. Dawn Reynolds

I am grateful I changed the channel after realizing Ms Griffin was a cohost for CNN New Year activities. Hope CNN reevaluates continuing further work for her. Her behavior on this program was degrading for a public media program which children would watch.

January 1, 2013 at 2:02 pm |
  16. Bagelmom

I abhor Kathy Griffin and thought she was totally obnoxious last night. I had to turn it off. Poor Anderson.

January 1, 2013 at 1:16 pm |
  17. Alona Reichman

Kathy Griffen was disgusting on live tv for the New Years Countdown. Families were watching when she kissed and continued to talk about kissing Anderson Coopers crotch. Please.....let us set higher standards of conduct in tv broadcasting. We wonder why our youth act like they do...........

January 1, 2013 at 12:43 pm |
  18. Paul

CNN...the trusted news source. Top stories for the new year include: how to kiss a Sardine and how to tickle a sack. Do you really think that is appropriate? CNN is a joke...a childish, high school, frat house. What an embarrassment!

January 1, 2013 at 10:22 am |
  19. PEM

Kathy Griffin is completely obnoxious and doesn't pair well with classy Anderson Cooper. What are you thinking, CNN??? We tried to watch for a while, but it was seriously difficult, and we gave up.

January 1, 2013 at 8:47 am |
  20. Umesh

This New Years Eve show of Kathy Griffin and Anderson Cooper is becoming "Adults Only" show. I did not expect this kind of vulgar show on reputed channel like CNN. It was totally inappropriate for kids to watch. I think CBS did much better job with Ryan and Jenny. Last night CNN lost me as its loyal viewer. Kathy's garbage behavior and trash talks are not match with CNN's Wolf Blitzer, and other dedicated correspondents. They must rethink for 2013 or they will lose many many more viewers like me and my family.

January 1, 2013 at 8:07 am |
  21. William Charles

Kathy Griffin's rude and insulting remarks to Mr.Cooper do not belong on national TV. I understand this is her 15 minutes of fame but please take a few classes on how to treat other people. Her remarks and comments referring to Mr.Cooper's sexuality were degrading, suppose Mr.Cooper did the same thing to her on national TV. I could only imagine the bylines. If she appears next NY eve, I will change my channel to other celebration.

January 1, 2013 at 7:33 am |
  22. Janis Theisen

Love Anderson and Kathy together. They are a riot!

January 1, 2013 at 3:06 am |
  23. Sandee Strickland

Seriously, did Kathy have to be rude to Honey Boo Boo and her family... how rude, you should be ashamed.. they have had a fundraiser every night this month for disadvantaged kids,and was trying to do something good toinite, and you couldn't drop your act for one moment to give them the respect and appreciation they deserve.. I hope Anderson wasn't so rude, that is not his normal style..Please let kathy Griffin see this hopefully on live tv..

January 1, 2013 at 2:56 am |
  24. Ray Lepage

We are big fans of CNN and Anderson but we won't be spending any more New Year's Eves with CNN. We believed CNN to be a classy act but Kathy Griffin is a disgrace. She just can't help herself and make Anderson looks sily. We feel for him more than the network does.

January 1, 2013 at 2:11 am |
  25. Richard Sush

Time for a new host for Anderson Cooper next year. Kathy Griffin is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo annoying and needs to go. Never seen such crap. She is awful. Cheers

January 1, 2013 at 1:16 am |
  26. Hendrick Dunagan

Happy New Years to my gay husband Kiriath Dunagan!!!!

January 1, 2013 at 1:01 am |
  27. Sabrina

You guys are Hilarous....Happy New Year

January 1, 2013 at 12:44 am |
  28. Rosiena Torrez

Sorry Kathy, I saw nothing classy about the way you were acting. Why did the network allow this?? I won't watch again if Kathy Giffard is on. What a shame!!

January 1, 2013 at 12:39 am |
  29. Manumi Gordon

@manumigordon Happy New Year to Nicky and our daughter Sophia from Kuujjuaq, Nunavik 🙂 #CNNNYE

January 1, 2013 at 12:33 am |
  30. rm

OK not a prude, but seriously, you gotta get rid of Kathy Gtiffin.

January 1, 2013 at 12:31 am |
  31. Levi Carruth

VERY disappointed in Kathy Griifin tonight. CNN is a MUCH better network than this. FIND someone else.

January 1, 2013 at 12:30 am |
  32. Kathy Sloan

Kathy Griffin, how ridiculous and disgusting.....Anderson Cooper what a gentleman to keep your cool and respectful...get rid of her...

January 1, 2013 at 12:29 am |
  33. Brenda E.

Kathy Griffin is a real live goof! I hope she never comes back to do CNN New Years Eve. She is the most vulgar silly goof. Not ever funny !!!!

January 1, 2013 at 12:29 am |
  34. Nick Ames

Kiss The Sardine Kiss The Sardine Kiss The Sardine Kiss The Sardine !!!!!

January 1, 2013 at 12:26 am |
  35. Mike F

Please CNN, No more Anderson and Kathy on NY Eve, I love the whole Times Square thing, CNN has the best vantage point, and then you give your viewers stiff Anderson and vulgar Kathy??? You can do better! Please, next year, do better, I dont want to hear Kathy wanting to get down on her knee's, I want to experience Times Square on New Years Eve!!!

January 1, 2013 at 12:26 am |
    • teri mercer

Totally agree. Kathy Griffin doesn't belong on CNN.

January 1, 2013 at 9:01 pm |
  36. Kim Jeanne Pam

Happy new year California! We love Kathi Griffin & Anderson Cooper, love you all!

January 1, 2013 at 12:23 am |
  37. Lalita Ray

Kathy Griffin is completely repellant. Sack her!

December 31, 2012 at 11:59 pm |
  38. James Durham

Anderson and Kelly...love watching you every year! Just kidding Kathy....no more D-list for you! You both are tons of fun...what an odd couple. Can we say Laverne and Shirley? Best wishes for peace, love, and a Grammy in 13!

Jim Durham

December 31, 2012 at 11:56 pm |
  39. Sid

2013 so very special for our 1st baby due in May.Happy new year!

December 31, 2012 at 11:51 pm |
  40. Julia

CNN is not funny tonight! Awful New Years with Anderson and Kathy lee!!!!! Very disappointing ....

December 31, 2012 at 11:48 pm |
  41. HeatherJ

Happy New Years!

December 31, 2012 at 11:38 pm |
  42. Ermin Lemes

Love you Anderson Cooper

December 31, 2012 at 11:22 pm |
  43. Charles Ficici

Hi kathy and anderson i just wanted to wish you guys a happy new year as well as everyone else 😉

December 31, 2012 at 11:19 pm |
  44. Gail

I am trying to watch this new years eve show, but quite frankly it is boring. I like Anderson Cooper 360, and appreciate the good work he does, but this show is not good! I am switching to another station....As we wait for the ball to drop at times square, I would like to see what the important stories were on the news, see some good news stories and have thoughtful commentary and some lighthearted moments along the way! I haven't seen and Nashville segments at all...probably because I keep changing to another station that is more entertaining!

December 31, 2012 at 11:15 pm |
  45. Judy Lackey

Happy New Year to my friends and family! Love watching the New Years Eve on tv with my daughter, we do it every year. Love you Kathy and Anderson. Happy New Year! Love you Ashley!

December 31, 2012 at 11:06 pm |
  46. C. Macinnis

Happy New Year!
    Anderson and Kathy...what a great combination. Hilarious!

December 31, 2012 at 10:58 pm |
  47. trayce

You cannot beat Kathy and Anderson Cooper together! Great!! So funny!!

December 31, 2012 at 10:28 pm |
  48. christine peltzer

Poor Anderson!

December 31, 2012 at 10:19 pm |
  49. Virginia

I couldn't believe Kathy Gifford is co-host. Her face dosen't even look real. She is the up and coming Joan Rivers for the next generation! Sorry, but i had to change channels

December 31, 2012 at 10:18 pm |
  50. Steph Dixon

You guys r the best. I haven't laughed this hard at Anderson, ever. Thanks for being sober tonite for us. Work hard, play hard.

December 31, 2012 at 10:11 pm |