Tonight on AC360: Bodies of missing boys found, mother’s plea for help when Sandy hit rejected
The car the family was in before they tried to seek shelter from the storm.
November 1st, 2012

Police in Staten Island, New York have found the bodies of two brothers, Brandon and Connor Moore, swept out of their mother’s arms by floodwaters during Superstorm Sandy. The grim discovery was made this morning by NYPD divers in a marsh.

Staten Island Borough President James Molinaro says the boys, ages 4 and 2, were found “maybe a block or two from where [their mother] lost them.” The parents were there when police found the boys.

CNN’s Gary Tuchman will have this emotional story tonight on AC360°. According to police, the boys’ mother, Glenda, stopped at a man’s house after her SUV hit a hole during the storm. She begged for help and asked to come inside, but that man said no.

Soon after, the mother and her two children were hit by a massive wall of water. The mother desperately tried to hold onto them, but the force of the water was too much. Her two boys were carried away in the deadly floodwaters. Somehow the mother managed to survive.

Gary talked with Alan, the man believed to have rejected her plea for help. He’s telling a much different story. Hear what he has to say tonight.

At least 19 people have died on Staten Island due to Sandy, making it the deadliest location in New York City. Don’t miss our special coverage of the disaster at 8 and 10 p.m. ET.

The fanboat used by NYPD divers to find victims of Superstorm Sandy.

The car seats Brandon and Connor Moore were sitting in shortly before they were carried away by the floodwaters.

UPDATE Watch Gary Tuchman's report:

Post by:
Filed under: Gary Tuchman • Hurricane Sandy • Weather
  1. William

I see many blaming the man for being heartless but nobody knows the whole story. I read many stories about possible looting that wasa to take place when the storm hit and maybe this man was not going to open his door to possible looters when the area was supposed to have been evacuated. Sad incident but judge not lest ye be judged

November 2, 2012 at 10:01 pm |
  2. Dana

First, it is clearly the mother's fault. She was in a mandatory evacuation zone and waited until the hurricane hit to leave. What was she thinking taking two small children out in the middle of the storm. It was her responsibility to keep those children safe. Second, even if she is telling the truth (I don't understand why everybody just assumes the man is the one lying) I don't necessarily blame him for not letting strangers into his home. People have used children before as a distraction to help them commit crimes. The woman may have had a gun and robbed or killed the man in his own home. He has to think of his own safety first. Would any of you feel differently if a woman home alone refused to give a strange man access to her home? Anyone can be a criminal, and criminals often take advantage of natural disasters to rob, loot and commit even more serious crimes.

November 2, 2012 at 9:01 pm |
    • Lisa

Well put.

November 7, 2012 at 10:11 am |
  3. treva

I wish the guy could be prosecuted for this. yes she should of left earlier, I heard her husband was working for the city when this happened, so maybe she was waiting on him. I hope this man lives with regret for not doing a SIMPLE act of kindness. what if something horrible happens to any kids or grandkids he has or may have, wouldnt he hope someone cares enough to help. I believe in karma and what goes around comes around. SHAME ON THIS LOW LIFE &&&

November 2, 2012 at 8:31 pm |
    • steven

You cannot punish someone for not giving quarter to a random person. Just like how we don't imprison and fine people for not giving food to hungry people they don't know.

November 2, 2012 at 8:54 pm |
  4. Nina

There is a special place in hell for a man like this. I hope his entire family shuns him as being dead to them. I know if my brother or my husband did something like this, I would never speak to them again. What an animal. There is a certain line that we draw as humans & when you cross that line, you are no longer one of us. I have a feeling he's going to have to move or "go missing" in the next few weeks now that his face & house have been on national tv. It really doesn't matter Why the woman was out there. Who's to say her house hadn't already swept away & she was trying to find somewhere else for shelter? It's a horrible tragedy that could have been averted if only that man wasn't such a horrible person.

November 2, 2012 at 7:56 pm |
    • NanookoftheNorth

Right you are, Nina...couldn't agree more !

November 4, 2012 at 8:19 am |
  5. steven

It was his house and he can say no to whomever he wants. You don't have any right to someone's home.

November 2, 2012 at 7:02 pm |
    • Edwinn

I agree.

November 4, 2012 at 4:58 am |
    • christyhutcherson

A woman and 2 young children during one of the worst storms ever. Really, Steven?

November 4, 2012 at 2:17 pm |
    • Jay

Regrettably, I agree with you. It just seems the more you put your self out for others, the more you get screwed.

November 5, 2012 at 12:58 am |
  6. duh

The story yesterday stated she drove into the water, the car flipped, the boys were swept away and then she swam to shore. That is when she asked for help. Sounds like this woman feels guilty for driving into water not knowing how deep it was and causing the death of her children. Have to blame someone I guess instead of yourself. I guess when the truth really comes out we will know what happened. As far as someone saying no to letting her in I find that hard to believe someone can be that cruel especially if she had her children with her.

November 2, 2012 at 7:00 pm |
  7. Gae Lynne Knight

you ask .. WHY DIDNT THEY LEAVE SOONER OR AT ALL ?? .. because reality is when katrina hit us .. we did NOT expect it to be that bad .. a cat 1 is "not SUPPOSED" to be that bad ..
    i hope that is mother is able to find STRENGTH in herself to go on in life .. so so sad .. she lost EVERYTHING ..
    I have come to learn in life that you can lose memorabilia .. possession .. belongings .. and things you have worked your BUTT off to get .. but those are in essence REPLACEABLE .. However; the children and/or loss of life, HOW do you rebuild ?? .. my heart, prayers and thoughts go out to this woman .. for her life will NEVER be the same .. so so sad

November 2, 2012 at 6:57 pm |
  8. Angie

Perhaps the mother made a mistake in not evacuating – but whatever the circumstances were she was someone in trouble, CHILDREN in trouble, and that disgusting, heartless man refused to help her. I'm so horrified by that man – the video CNN has of him where he is not even apologetic or remorseful – what a horrible selfish person.I'm sickened by him. There is just no excuse – he's a selfish coward and I hope karma pays him back.

November 2, 2012 at 6:41 pm |
  9. scottaustintexas

Unbelievable.

November 2, 2012 at 6:03 pm |
  10. King jammys

I think that wicked man should be aristed.what hart he got.to see this poor woman with her two kids begging for help and said no.

November 2, 2012 at 5:42 pm |
  11. LGTV

How is this the fault of someone who presumably turned them away. According to police, he turned them away. But how do they know that? Were the police there, or is this what the mother claims? As sad as this is, perhaps the woman should have evacuated to a safer area before the storm. Also, where was she prior to this? Did she decide to leave the safety of where she was and risk her and her children's lives? Too few details are available. I suspect that she begged for help from this man after they were gone, as was stated in early stories, and he refused to help in a dangerous storm. Why should he risk his life for 2 children that "may have been swept away"?

November 2, 2012 at 4:23 pm |
    • Gaye

I really appreciate your comments. Yes. people will help an animal before they will help another human being. However those same people will have to answer to God.

November 3, 2012 at 1:23 am |
  12. NYbywayofTexas

How could you not help a mother and (2) children? ???? And for those balming the mother for not evacuating.. you could apply the same standard to all who stayed. It is so easy to armchair the situation and say what you would have done. But (2) innocent lives were lost because of selfishness. This makes me sick to my stomache. People treat animals better than they would a human being. Let alone (3) human beings.

November 2, 2012 at 3:36 pm |
  13. Karen

Regardless, I have a feeling the man is lying – he says 'yes, it is a tragedy, but she shouldn't have been out' – no feeling, no sympathy – of course he won't admit it.

November 2, 2012 at 3:26 pm |
  14. Sandy

I lived through the April tornadoes in Alabama, and this story makes me so grateful for the people in my community. Sure, there are stories of looting and theft after 60+ tornadoes devastated in our state, but being on the front lines, I saw more unselfish acts of courage and community than in any other disaster. Neighbors helped neighbors...strangers became family. People used doors that were torn off houses just minutes earlier, to carry their injured neighbors to safety. Entire communities & churches gathered supplies to help those who needed it. I also saw firsthand, people from across the country, who traveled here just to drop off supplies for people in need. It's unfortunate to see this is not the only report of unkind-ness I've seen out of the devastation in NJ & NY.

This man knows what he did & thankfully, Gary Tuchman made it a national focus. I hope the desperate faces of these children and their mother haunt him, until he learns to become a better person. And all who condemn the woman for running late obviously never had young children.

November 2, 2012 at 3:19 pm |
  15. NaTurn3r

Remember, not too long ago, guy in CT opened his door to strangers. His wife and two daughters were raped and burned alive. I'm not judging the guy for not opening the door, but his reaction to the death of two children that once stood on his doorstep was heartless.

November 2, 2012 at 3:10 pm |
  16. Geoff

Here's how I see it:
    A woman ignores a mandatory evacuation. She then decides to take two small children out into the worst storm to hit the area in recent memory (a storm which was accurately predicted to hit when and where it hit....3? weeks in advance?).

She then knocks on the door of a total stranger, asking to use his limited resources (food, water, shelter, maybe power) to recover from her monumental blunders.

This move would potentially endanger the man, who has no idea who she is.

Let's also not forget: It was his HOME. He has a right to grant or refuse entrance to any and all people he so chooses. So it may not have been the most courteous thing he could have done. Since when were rights and laws based on feelings?

I feel sorry for the children, but my opinion is blame the mother for being a bad mother. Not the total stranger who decided not to take a risk that may have cost him his life for a total stranger.

November 2, 2012 at 3:00 pm |
    • Hank H.

She was trying to evacuate – she was driving to her sister's in Brooklyn, when she lost control of the car. If you listen to what the story says, she had been hanging on for dear life for a long time. She must have been scared to death. We have no idea exactly what time she left her house, we just know she was trying to escape, her car failed/stalled, and she was left vulnerable with two young children. To talk about this desperate situation in the middle of a storm like she was some intruder looking to rob this guy's house is despicable. Shame on you and on anyone who would turn a blind eye to this mother's cry for help.

November 3, 2012 at 5:17 pm |
  17. TampaMom

This is heart breaking...

Why would you not let a mother and 2 little boys in?

There are any number of reasons may have she waited so late to get out; maybe someone said they were on the way to help her and couldn't make it, maybe one of them had a medical condition and/or set treatment schedules (my son had seizures at that age and a bad round could last many hours), money, car problems. Whatever I'm going to add to her burden.

Prayers to thefamilies! Rest in pease little ones...

November 2, 2012 at 2:37 pm |
  18. rkdres

Everyone will try and blame this man, but the only thing certain is that no one will ever know what exactly transpired. The mother's judgement is obviously questionable to be out in that storm with kids, despite it being a mandatory evacuation area.

November 2, 2012 at 1:56 pm |
  19. rkdres

Everyone will try and demonize this man, but the only thing certain is that no one will ever know what exactly transpired. The mother's judgement is obviously questionable to be out in that storm with kids, despite it being a mandatory evacuation area.

November 2, 2012 at 1:56 pm |
  20. Brittany C

My heart aches for Glenda Moore and her family. Whatever happened, however it happened, in the end she lost her two young sons, and for that reason, my heart breaks for her. She, and anyone else who lost a loved one to Sandy, is in my thoughts. Strength to you all in the aftermath.

November 2, 2012 at 1:37 pm |
  21. Michelle

It is shameful. It would be nice to hear some stories of those who did open their doors. He was a coward with no heart plain and simple.

November 2, 2012 at 1:24 pm |
  22. Paula

It is shameful. Shameful!!! That man should be in jail!!!
    The mother will have to live all her life with the remorse of not evacuating her children when she was supposed to. CHildren do NOT belong to us, parents have a DUTY to protect them, you don't make choices in these circumstances, you just leave!
    But that man is not a human being, he's an excuse for a human being. He should be incriminated!!
    Those two boys have broken my heart.

November 2, 2012 at 1:10 pm |
  23. sheila

This story is heart breaking. This man should be ashamed of himself. I hope he burns with guilt of not saving this family...SO Shameful....My heart hurts for them. Wow is this what America has become. Shame

November 2, 2012 at 1:07 pm |
  24. Dee

Yes, she was wrong to have waited that long but that doesn't exonerate the man who turned them away. Was it the children's fault that she waited so long? What kind of man is so cowardly that he won't help women and children in a storm, no matter why they were there. He makes me sick.

November 2, 2012 at 12:55 pm |
  25. Steve D

Sad story. This lady will have to live with having made a poor decision not to evacuate. There's a reason the authorities were telling people to get out. It's sad the children had to die because of a bad decision.

November 2, 2012 at 12:42 pm |
  26. Tom B

"She shouldnt have been out there" was his defense? Really? There are those that would sacrifice everything to just TRY and save someone, then there are people like this guy. Personally I would rather die trying to save someone than watch them die in a situation like that. My heart goes out to the family of both the children as well as this guy since both sides lost someone that night. Disown him.

November 2, 2012 at 12:42 pm |
  27. vikkie

Although this is horrible saying that the man who allegedly did not let this woman in to his home should be charged in the death of the two boys is not cool. The woman was negligent with all the time that was given to evacuate. Very sad for her but the man was within his rights weather it was morally correct or not.

November 2, 2012 at 12:24 pm |
  28. My 2 cents

It's likely that he saw a black person, incorrectly assumed it was trying to break in, and his fear made him see a man instead of a woman, and fabricate some paranoid story. His biased brain profiled the person, and as a result two kids are dead. He's a coward and has to live with that for the rest of his life.

November 2, 2012 at 12:00 pm |
  29. Tiara

WHO CARES WHY SHE WAS OUT!!!! Does that justify his action?! I get so sick of things happening to minorities in this country, then everyone has a stupid comment about what said person did right or wrong!

She was a mother with two young children, quite possibly she felt that she was safer at home! Quite possibly she was waiting for her husband to return home. There are a number of scenarios that could have played out, but when she found herself out in the streets looking for assistance – SHE FOUND NONE!

Clearly this "man" had is lying, he couldn't even get his story straight. The least he could have done is called 9-1-1 in this situation, especially if he felt that his life was being threatened. His excuse that the clothes that he was wearing was a hindrance for him to go outside, is absolutely moronic! He could not change clothes in the house that he lives in?!

Time and time again America fails minorities, from police brutality and racial profiling to injustices for Trayvon Martin and similar cases of wrongful deaths, why we continue to participate in a society that his hell bent on treating less than animals is beyond me.

My heart goes out to this woman and family who is now suffering.

I am additionally grateful to Anderson Cooper for speaking on this story, I can always count on Mr. Cooper to rise above it all and report on the real stories.

If these "neighbour" did wrong in his heart, he will have to live with that for the rest of his life. May he live a long long life to remember what he did on Monday October 29th!

November 2, 2012 at 11:55 am |
  30. JR

This is an absolute tragedy. However, I am disgusted by the media's coverage of this story. The mother should be held responsible for the death of her two boys – charged with child endangerment. It is no ones fault but her own that she ignored the evacuation order until it was too late.

November 2, 2012 at 11:51 am |
  31. Jasmine AWJ

The homeowner is a liar. First he denied having seen and talked to anyone but said he saw a man. Denied it was a woman. This is called a half truth. He denied the man had ask for help but had only told him "to step outside" (the house) – suggesting he did not want to because it was a threat to his personal safety. But homeowner also said the man didn't come to the front door but to the back door, where he threw the brick through the window. This is called bending the truth. When told that the two boys had died, his reply was very revealing. He was sorry but what was the woman doing there in the first place. Not only could he not tell the truth, he is also without any genuine remorse and empathy. Saying he would have died had he gone out is an exaggeration to exonerate himself from any responsibility. Evil begins with a lie.

November 2, 2012 at 11:39 am |
  32. April

I am a mother of two boys and this story absolutely overwhelms every cell in my body. So many factors to the story, but the man who could have helped (no matter if it was a woman with two boys or a man needing help) has no spine or heart. I know people don't know what they will do until the time comes, but this man still has a cold attitude about the whole situation even after hearing that the 2 boys died. My one question is where was the father when all this happened? My heart and prayers go out to the mother and the father, and I mean no ill will towards the father...I just was wondering where he was. I pray that they both receive comfort and peace in this devastating time.

November 2, 2012 at 9:51 am |
  33. susan

Mom should have put the childrens safety FIRST!! She was wrong to wait that long to leave! She should be charged! Don't blame others for not helping when you don't even help yourself in the first place! There was an evac ordered and she especially a mother should have listened! She killed those boys by putting them in that situation in the first place. This could've and should've been avoided! JUSTICE and a Voice for those boys IS needed!

November 2, 2012 at 8:46 am |
  34. just a mom

I feel bad for her, knowing that if she had evacuated those precious boys of hers the day before Sandy hit OR stayed INSIDE her own house with them during the hurricane (it said she was on her way to work, I can't think of a job that would fire someone for staying safely inside their house during a hurricane!!) they'd still be alive today. I feel bad knowing she will probably live with the guilt of her own poor choices for the rest of her life. IF that's the guy whos house she stopped at, he's a heel for not at least letting them in the garage out of shelter, but he didn't create the problem she was in.

November 2, 2012 at 8:43 am |
  35. G

Heart breaking story. Where were the kids when she went up to the house to ask for help?

November 2, 2012 at 8:35 am |
  36. Katherine C.

I am devastated by this story. There is much to be said for just biting our tongues but when it comes right down to it – after watching the homeowner interviewed I think fear got the best of him and he is angry to have his actions questioned because deep inside he knows what he did was wrong – did his fear so affect him that it changed his ability to properly comprehend what was going on or may have even caused him to be in denial about what actually happened. He says a man threw a concrete planter to break down his door – that this "man" wanted him to come out and provide help – was it actually Mrs. Moore pleading for him to provide shelter? Doesn't fear feed anger? This man Alan is full of anger and doesn't appear to have any empathy or compassion what so ever choosing to say she shouldn't have been out in the storm – well maybe not but she was and she couldn't rewind at that point – she was faced with a life and death situation – and asked for help. Even when he mentioned the kids he said he didn't know if they had been found and when told they were both found dead it didn't insight, even the slightest appearance of, any emotion in reaction to the tragedy.

November 2, 2012 at 6:06 am |
  37. Sandra Couch

This man should be strung up by his toes> Can the mother bring a wrongful death suit aginst him. Some lawyer should take up her cause.

November 2, 2012 at 4:15 am |
    • Carri

The wrongful death suit should be against her!

November 4, 2012 at 10:43 am |
  38. heidi

This story really tore me up. Cant imagine why no one would help her. No one should be second guessing the mother. The people who refused to even let her in their house are pathetic. How completely heartwrenching. My thoughts and condolences go out to this family.

November 2, 2012 at 2:35 am |
  39. Jennifer

Sad but when people are told to evacuate and they refuse to do so the consequences of whatever happens to them is because of their own decision to not listen to authorities.

November 2, 2012 at 12:25 am |
  40. Megan

What a heartbreaking story. My heart goes out to this poor mother. She's lost so much and I can't believe there are comments blaming her.

November 1, 2012 at 11:52 pm |
  41. capacioust

She may have been reckless in waiting too long but what a jerk that guy was- and I believe he's lying (whether out of guilt or concern that he might somehow be liable for this tragedy). Did anyone see his reactions when he was told the children were found dead. That was a pang of guilt if I've ever seen one. People always assume someone else will help and then no one does. It's disgusting.

November 1, 2012 at 11:35 pm |
  42. capacioust

She may have been reckless in waiting too long but what a jerk that guy was- and now he's lying about it. Did anyone see his reactions when he was told the children were found dead. That was a pang of guilt if I've ever seen one. People always assume someone else will help and then no one does.

November 1, 2012 at 11:32 pm |
  43. April S

maybe she had no gas, maybe she had no money to leave until it was too late, who knows, who cares. What kind of heartless peice of garbage doesn't open thier door to children in the middle of a storm? I've heard people can be heartless and extreemly raciest in america, did this fellow (who btw ignored evacuation orders as well) just prove those rumors to be true?

November 1, 2012 at 11:31 pm |
  44. Lauren

I'm sorry, but this mother should be charged with child endangerment. It's entirely her fault that her children are dead.

November 1, 2012 at 11:17 pm |
  45. lynda miller

how horrible two young boys lost their lives. yes the mother should have headed out sooner , but maybe she was a single mother who didnt have the means to or maybe there were other circumstances that prevented her from doing so. shame on the person who didnt help her. karma will get you ,you dont have a heart obviuosly if you do you have a cold one one day you will need a hand or help and i hope you are turned away just like you turned that mother away now because of you she has to plan a funeral for her two babies shame on you shame on you

November 1, 2012 at 11:04 pm |
  46. Gail

Why didnt she leave earlier?

November 1, 2012 at 8:07 pm |
    • May

Does it matter at this point? She asked for help from this man and was denied, and now her two boys are gone. She's going to feel the guilt for the rest of her life, and your victim blaming isn't helping.

November 2, 2012 at 2:47 am |
    • DSDO

"According to police, the boys’ mother, Glenda, stopped at a man’s house after her SUV hit a hole during the storm. She begged for help and asked to come inside, but that man said no."

Why didn't she leave earlier?!!?!?! WHAT TIME DO HOLES FORM????? Seriously??!

November 2, 2012 at 10:32 am |
  47. Ken Bobbitt

So very very sorry; I would have gone with them. It begs the question . What was she doing ? PITIFUL !!!

November 1, 2012 at 7:49 pm |
    • DeeDee

People highly underestimate the power of mother nature. I'm sure she tried with all her strength to hang on to them, but with a storm that powerful, there's not that much muscle in Gold's Gym to hold on. She didn't stand a chance. That's exactly why she was supposed to heed the mandatory evacuation.

November 2, 2012 at 10:39 am |
  48. joey okamoto

The story of Brandon and Connor Moore is a heart-breaking tragedy. Does it matter if a man turned a woman away during the worst storm in the Island's history? Does it matter that the mother waited in Zone A (mandatory evacuation area) until it was too late? No. Both people will have to live with whatever truly happened that night for the rest of their lives. Let these babies rest in peace and don't use their story for ratings.

November 1, 2012 at 7:29 pm |
    • Katherine Z.

Very well said.

November 2, 2012 at 3:43 am |
    • DeeDee

I guess you're right, Joey. It just makes me so angry that these boys' deaths could've been avoided had people used the brains God gave'em. But, you're right, nothing can be done now and they have to live with their choices. RIP young fellas. 🙁

November 2, 2012 at 10:41 am |
    • Mike

Ofcourse it matters. He had a chance to help and didn't have a shred of human decency to open his door to a woman and children.

If this was your wife and children and someone did this to them, how would you feel? Would you have turned away a woman and children if they came to your door? Ofcourse not. This guy deserves the worst that life has to offer for what he did.

November 2, 2012 at 2:06 pm |
  49. Deidre

I don't know how different his story could be....a no is a no and she asked for help.

November 1, 2012 at 7:02 pm |
  50. Tom J

OF course hes going to tell a different story !!! but with Superstorm Sandy abrrelling down ..WHO wouldnt open a door for a 2 and 4y/o; its not like she was lying about the weather to get access to house...and the boys were actually midget criminals

November 1, 2012 at 6:52 pm |