February 20th, 2012

Video: Humanitarian crisis continues in Syria

Just back from Syria, CNN's Arwa Damon reports on the latest bombings in Homs and the people who are suffering.

Post by: ,
Filed under: Syria
  1. Omar

Thank you Anderson for providing the thorough coverage of the tragedy unfolding in Syria. What I would love for you to do is delve a little deeper into this. It's possible that the current conflict is not just a simple fight for rights and freedoms because the current leader's father (Hafez al-Assad) took power circa 1970 and this marked the takeover by a religious minority (Allawi, who are closer to to Shia Islam) while Syria is majority Sunni. This was an unprecedented change and may be a big piece of the puzzle: the Sunni majority stirring things to regain control, along with a natural impetus to demand more rights and freedoms as a general need/wish. The reason Syria has close ties to Iran is because of this element, rightly or wrongly. And I just wonder if there is more going on here than is being reported.

February 21, 2012 at 10:15 pm |
  2. Kathy Mrotzek

President Obama must revisit our governments current policy of inaction and do something and do something quickly to prevent the further slaughter of innocent civilians in Syria. If we do nothing we have blood on our hands. Unacceptable in my opinion. How Russia, Iran and Hezbollah can arm the Syrian government and support this senseless slaughter is dispicable and disugsting.

February 21, 2012 at 10:10 pm |
  3. Tim

I was repulsed that Cooper would show a video of that young girl passing away on national television. That video has absolutely no relevance to anybody sitting on their couch watching the news and all you've done is intrude upon the worst moment of those parents lives – a moment that none of us should ever consider ourselves entitled to be a part of. I've seen some excellent segments on this show over the years, but this was a terrible abuse of journalism and everybody on the production team needs to feel a deep sense of shame.

February 21, 2012 at 9:25 pm |
  4. J. Lawner

My God! This one of the most heart renching things I have ever witnessed. Everyone, especially parents who are blessed to put their children to sleep tonight in a safe place, should grieve for that two year old little boy who lost his life due to the atrocities being committed against the Syrian people by their Government. Watching his father and grandmother was unbearable. Can't something be done? Establish a safe haven and at least attempt to help innocent civilians to get out of harms way. We can't just sit by and watch this. HIs precious life, and the lives of so many others, should not be lost in vain. What is going on is unspeakable horror.

February 21, 2012 at 9:12 pm |
  5. Shawn Berhel

I've been watching the horrors in syria since its started and I thank all journalists who report the truth and risk their lives to bring the story to the world. I'm tired of seeing the pain and suffering of these people who are being killed because all they wanted from their leader was more rights and freedoms, and even after the very beginning of the crack down the people of Syria still wanted their leader in power the people pleaded and Assad fired on them. I feel the need to get the word out to america and american leaders. Thank you Anderson for reporting on the news so well.

February 21, 2012 at 8:34 pm |
  6. John BP

Watching and seeing AC-360 about the little girl died grasping for breath died in the arms of her father is horrible and unforgiveable. Sen-McCain favors in arming the opposition groups in Syria now or a day wait hundred more bodies will appear on TV.As super power country U.S. has obligation to show to the world that we care--ain't We? So, what we are waiting for? These people are human-beings and they deserved to enjoy life like everybody else. We must do something about it now before it's too late to act. Pathetic!

February 21, 2012 at 8:29 pm |
  7. Maranatha laidleymaranathalaidley

Thank you thank you for showing the world the truth .. I have two boy 2 and 3 and I broke down to my knees .. What if. That was us what if that was my son taking his last breath

February 21, 2012 at 8:15 pm |