February 15th, 2012

Video: Prescriptions looked at in Houston death

The investigation into Whitney Houston's unexplained death includes her use of prescription medicine. Anderson Cooper reports.

Post by:
Filed under: Whitney Houston
  1. Geoff

Please, Anderson, as a fan – can we stop talking about Whitney? It's been going on for days now, and I just scan you on CNN, see her face, and move on. Time for you to move on, too.

February 16, 2012 at 10:11 pm |
  2. Jill Hanly

I have two sons who have and one still serving in the army. I can not believe that the death of a great singer is going to get the flags mast in her state .This is a privilage for our MIlLTARY, POLICE, an FIRE FIGHTERS. NOT NOT for stars who abused drugs an booze. Whats next will fly the flag for drug dealers, politiacians. HOW DARE THE WHITE HOUSE LET THIS HAPPEN

February 16, 2012 at 7:31 pm |
  3. Mary St. Louis, MO

I'm so glad that your show is focusing on the issue of overuse and misuse of prescription drugs. I just noticed this but I am currently taking a script and on the lable on the bottle (big enough to see) is says do not drink with this prescription. I wonder if this is something new. I'm glad they are doing this as to be honest does everyone read closely the page of small print you get with a prescription (all the precautions and what side effects it might cause).. We should but sometimes it is almost overwhelming and you start to read it and then skip over maybe some important points.

February 16, 2012 at 1:08 pm |
  4. angela newsom

lots and lots of alcohol. it could be alcohol poisoning. thats what happened to amy winehouse.of course alcohol is also a drug.

February 16, 2012 at 12:29 pm |
  5. dale woodworth

why isn't anyone talking about the elephant in the room in regards to whitney houstons death. where in the hell was clive davis? that guy needs to be looked into. was there something going on there, why didn't he say something about her drinking, drug use.

February 16, 2012 at 12:03 pm |
  6. Peter

I have listened a great deal over the last week to the coverage of Whitney Houston's untimely and terribly premature death. And while it saddens me a great deal, I am sadder still about a far broader and more disturbing topic – the over-prescribing of medicines in general. I listened to Dr. Drew espouse with shock a sort of criminal negligence behind the prescribing of the combination of drugs found in Ms Houston's hotel room. He went to say that "no one would ever need" this particular cocktail of medications as if to suggest it was highly out of the ordinary. I have news for Dr. Drew, it's exceedingly ordinary. My elderly father who has been under the care of numerous and highly-regarded doctors over the years (for fairly typical and benign geriatric concerns) was at one time taking the same combination as Ms Houston...and far more (including Lithium for depression). These doctors also knew that he was a ritualist drinker as so many from his generation are. Later on, this combination of medicine (less the alcohol) was also supported by a leading hospital in Baltimore who maintained his drug schedule during an extended stay. So while I empathize with Dr Drew's outrage, this is not a case of doctors pandering to the rich and famous by dispensing pills like a gum ball machine, this is standard medical practice. Perhaps that's why they call it "practicing medicine," because surely and very tragically, it has not been perfected yet. RIP, Whitney Houston.

February 16, 2012 at 11:06 am |
  7. Deborah D.

In answer to your question regarding Whitney Houston's medications "Is there any reason for her to have 3 medications that are the same?" I know how that can happen. If she tried Xanax and it didn't work she might have requested another type right away from her doctor. So he would prescribe Ativan. Maybe that didn't help so he prescribed the third medication. It would leave her with 3 bottles of different but similar meds then.

February 16, 2012 at 1:19 am |