February 13th, 2012

Video: Celebrity drug addiction

In the wake of Whitney Houston's death, HLN's Dr. Drew expresses outrage toward doctors and friends who enable addicts.

Post by:
Filed under: Dr. Drew Pinsky • Whitney Houston
  1. Judy

To get a realistic understanding of most addictions, it is very useful to visit a treatment center. I live in the midwest-MN Out here we call it treatment. Everywhere else, it is called rehab. There are many treatment centers in MN and all you really have to do is look in the telephone book to find treatment centers. Talking to the folks who run the treatment centers can tell you what is a usual treatment process, post treatment, possible half-way house, 3/4 house where the person who has been through treatment stays for a period of time to aid them in their recovery. And most importantly, attending meetings, 30 in 30 days, etc. Getting a sponsor who also assists in the recovery process. By talking to a treatment center you will get a very good idea of what the process is and yes, by the looks of things Whitney "slipped" or "relapsed." Being totally informed about the subject will give you an understanding on how to report this subject on the news. I am watching P. Morgan as I key this comment. Nikki Sixx is talking about his experience. He has been through the process and gives a very good informed narrative, discussion.

February 15, 2012 at 9:16 pm |
  2. Tracey

Prescription pain killers and anti-anxiety medications are killing people at an alarming rate. Stop prohibition and legalize pot. Noone dies from smoking marijuana and drinking a beer. People turn to "legal" drugs when they can't get the "illegal" ones. Unfortunately, the pharmaceutical companies have to much leverage and money to let this happen.
    I remember one time, I took a valium and drank a glass of wine and was getting ready to go out on the town. I woke up the next day at 2:00 pm with the sun shining in my eyes, music blaring, lights on and I was all dressed up. I never moved from the position in which I landed for over 12 hrs. I was lucky I didn't overdose and die. Needless to say I never did that drug again. The valium I took was prescribed by my psychologist for anxiety.

February 14, 2012 at 10:55 pm |
  3. Deron

I think that all speculation on Whitney's death should be stopped, until the autopsy report is official. Dr. Drew should be quiet, for was there one of his patients to die under his care? Let the family grieve, please. It wasn't easy when she was on drugs, so what makes you think that family is wanting to hear this now?

February 14, 2012 at 10:41 pm |
  4. S. Mishra

It is close to impossible to stop drug addiction for many celebrities, let along the rest of society suffering with addiction. What I see that is a massive problem for addicts is the use of alcohol when addicted to prescription drugs. Dr. Gupta made the point that drugs have effects on the CNS, which when used in combination with alcohol can further depress respiratory functions and become fatal. I always hear about college students taking oxycodone and then binge drinking at the bar, then you wake up the next day put on CNN and hear a news report on how some college student died off of prescription drugs. It is one thing to use the drug possibly more than often but when you are using it and then combining it with alcohol, you are walking that fine line between life and death. If there should be education that could help, it should be education that campaigns the risk of combining certain prescription drugs with alcohol. The public isn't aware of that risk, and usually think it is just the prescription drug alone. A individual who thinks its just prescription addiction, might try using a prescription drug once and go out drinking, thinking its ok because they aren't an addict but then might leave the bar in a body bag. Lets talk less about drug addiction and more about the combination of using CNS depressants and alcohol, which by the way is also a depressant. Lets get the public smarter about this..!

February 14, 2012 at 10:38 pm |
  5. Rob

Dr Drew's statement is very true. I have seen with my own eyes even one drink of alcohol with drug addiction (over dose of ambien) can be fatal. It causes seizure or panic attach. It causes mental disorder.

February 14, 2012 at 10:32 pm |
  6. Rob

Prescription drug addiction e.g. Ambien ovedose with even one glass of wine or beer have proven to be very dangrous. It causes panic attack or seizure which can be fatal depending on where person is when this happens. I have seen this with my own eyes in my own family. I wonder why these drugs are being prescribed when they are known to cause addiction? Person taking these drugs slowly gets addicted and find themselves very very difficult to get out of it and there nothing family can do to help.

February 14, 2012 at 10:28 pm |
  7. Jack Smith

Dr. Drew perfectly explained his justifiable outrage! People these days think they can take an alcoholic beverage with ANYTHING (prescription or something like Bayer) and they'll be fine! It's time for you alcoholic drug takers to WAKE UP!

February 14, 2012 at 10:20 pm |
  8. Greg

If prescription drugs are such a problem (for celebrities and 'commoners' alike), where should the education start? Should our school systems cover this topic better? Parents? Doctors or PA? Dr Drew's warnings doesn't appear to work for the greater masses, or is he just being ignored?

February 14, 2012 at 8:26 pm |
  9. John Steen

Dr Drews outrage is OUTRAGEOUS. The problem is Dr's giving EVERYONE drugs when they don't need them. It's a cyclical problem. It starts in medical school & how Dr's are taught. They are NOT taught to treat patients in a heart & soul manner. They treat a symptom or pain with drugs. Drug companies push the drugs on these Dr's & get kickbacks, etc. Treat patients in a different way. There are many times people go to a Dr & all they need is someone to listen, to care & their symptom goes away very quickly. I've experienced this. It's about the soul of a person. Instead, too many people on drugs & they are full of chemicals & mixed with other drugs & alcohol & people are dying. These Dr's, schools & drug companies need to take responsibility. Bottom line....it comes down to the almighty dollar!

February 14, 2012 at 8:19 pm |
  10. T. Castleman

Drug additions been going on 4 lots of years!!! Why does a famous person have 2 die 2 open peoples eye!!! No1 force u but yrs

February 14, 2012 at 1:02 am |