February 2nd, 2012

Video: Repeat DUI offender pardoned

Ed Lavandera talks to the mother of a young girl killed by a drunk driver who was pardoned by Haley Barbour.

Post by:
Filed under: Crime & Punishment
  1. SKarcher85

Seriously? Sounds like this guy has dirt on Haley Barbour or the state. This is completely wrong. They should introuduce into a bill that no person shall be pardoned for an act of crime that caused such devastation against an innocent victim. Why isn't there stipulations on Pardoning? This guy obviously didn't commit a mistake. It was his 4th! Conviction for a DUI! He made a choice. And when you make choice there is consequences! I recall back in highschool. They had a convicted person of vehicular manslaughter on a DUI where he had wrecked and killed his best friend in the passenger seat. He was serving 30 years. This wouldn't happen in Ohio!

February 6, 2012 at 8:55 pm |
  2. George

I appreciate Shirley's point. It was, in fact, terribly gut wrenching to watch this mother attempt to respond to AC's questions through such devastating pain and grief over the loss of her daughter. I wondered how AC could continue with his questioning in light of this. However, it dawned on me that the pain I was feeling for this mother being questioned was the point. This mother's pain came across in this interview more powerfully than anything I had seen in years. I think AC felt it was important that people understand just how devastating this incident has been. I will think about that mother and pray for her peace for a long time to come.

February 3, 2012 at 10:44 pm |
  3. Paul

What is wrong with you people?! This person should be jailed for life!!! Since he has had multiple convictions for DUI, clearly he is a continuous threat to peoples' lives. I didn't hear whether or not he keeps getting his licence back – but does he? Why is he still driving – drunk no less?! This is yet another situation where someone with at least half a brain steps in and throws this piece of garbage in jail – for life!!! My heart completely dropped while watching this interview and I couldn't fight the tears. Seriously unbelievable!

February 3, 2012 at 10:26 pm |
  4. luke

The crime is unexcusable, so is this interview Anderson, stop taking advantage of grieving family, it's not right

February 3, 2012 at 10:22 pm |
  5. Sandra Flowers

I have lived a long time and have viewed many sad stories on tv, but the interview with Linda Smith was the most heartbreaking one I have ever seen. Maybe the interview should have been cut short, but it did give her chance to let the world know how wounded she is by both the death of her daughter and the actions of Gov Barbour. I wish for her a continuous push by the public to punish the habitual DUI offender who killed her daughter and the former governor who set him free ,,,what a travesty of justice.

February 3, 2012 at 9:47 pm |
  6. Jodi

It seems to me if a Governor has the power to (wrongly and stupidly) pardon someone, a new Governor should have the power to revoke said pardon.

February 3, 2012 at 8:45 pm |
  7. Shirley Townsend

Normally my husband and I love Anderson Cooper and his show. Actually we are fans. February 3rd we found the interview with Linda Smith, Charity Smith's mother objectionable. This style of interview is beneath Mr. Cooper and totally nonprofessional. We have seen interviews by Mr. Cooper in this same type situation that have not been so nonprofessional. Once Mrs. Smith was in so much distress he should have brought the interview to a close. To continue did not help our understanding of the situation it only caused Mrs. Smith further distress.

Plus this drunk, Harry Bostick was pardoned for previous offenses not this offense. Certainly he should not have been released for an offense that was not connected to his pardon and can still be tried for this occurrence of DUI. This seemed to be played down in the story.

February 3, 2012 at 8:38 pm |
    • Pete

Frankly, I agree. The interview should have been cut short. The painting that her daughter painted entitled: Life's too short...was a heartbreaker. In her memory, that painting should be reproduced and sold, with all proceeds going toward a foundation against "drunk driving". MADD comes to mind.

February 3, 2012 at 9:55 pm |
    • Pam

I don't understand why Anderson did not stop the interview with that poor mother. No new information was made available and we did not need to see her agony displayed for so long. Anderson did not seem sympathetic. He was exploiting her and her tragic situation. It was shameful.

February 3, 2012 at 10:34 pm |
    • Diane

Anderson Cooper did not interview Mrs. Smith. If you listen carefully another reporters name is mentioned as the interview begins. Mr. Cooper was only involved in replaying that interview to help spread the word of the injustice done to Mrs. Smith and her daughter.

February 4, 2012 at 2:11 pm |
  8. Karen Bowser

Other than the goal of increasing ratings, what could possibly have driven you to interview the poor mother whose daughter was killed by a drunk man – his 4th DUI – who was pardoned by Gov Barbour? The story was so painful to watch I turned it off. And, it was very disappointing that Anderson "milked" the interview for everything he could. I had to turn off the program and will forever be disappointed in CNN an Anderson. How could you have done that?

February 3, 2012 at 8:34 pm |
  9. Robert Barlow

what did he get the pardon for??/?????????? is the pardon for killing the girl or for previous crimes??????

February 3, 2012 at 8:30 pm |
  10. Sheryl Jeffries

This is totally wrong! There should be NO reason to pardon a repeat drunk driver especially, when that drunk driver has killed someone else! It's like condoning the behavior and saying the life that was taken meant nothing at all!

February 3, 2012 at 6:10 pm |
  11. Huda

hi anderson u no i can,t sleep before see u that iz real that iz y i love u so much plz tack care of ur self

February 3, 2012 at 6:03 pm |
  12. Jack

It's obvious the state of Mississippi and Haley Barbour FAILED to do their jobs. Everyone involved should be ashamed.

February 3, 2012 at 11:54 am |
  13. Jack

I hope the mother of the girl who was killed sues the state of Mississippi and Haley Barbour. This man and many other people who were pardoned should still be in prison. I also hope the girl who was injured in this crash sues the state of Mississippi and Haley Barbour as well.

February 3, 2012 at 11:51 am |
  14. slugger

Good job covering the Haley Barbour story. Hard to believe someone with such poor judgement could reach the office of Governor of a U.S. state. Maybe someone should check to see if he has stock in the private prison industry.

February 3, 2012 at 1:49 am |