AC360 Post-debate analysis
Snapshots from the CNN GOP Presidential Debate in Las Vegas, moderated by Anderson Cooper.
October 18th, 2011

AC360 Post-debate analysis

AC360° is live after the debate! The political panel will cover the best moments, personal attacks made by the candidates and the state of the GOP race now. What did you think of the heated debate? Share your thoughts in a comment below!

View exclusive behind-the-scenes photos from the debate.

Filed under: 2012 Election • Raw Politics
  1. larry

Rick Perry is toast, Herman has charisma but needs more experience. Santorum has experience but needs more charisma. Newt came off the best and given the little time alloted to him and won the debate through his unparralled knowledge of all the issues and the best solutions to solve problems. Mitt Romney is my second choice. Perry was an embarrassment, I'm a Christian but the way he went after Romney is not the way a born again Christian should act.
    Newt is the best person for the Job, I hope the country finally comes to that conclusion.

October 19, 2011 at 12:29 pm |
  2. Regan

I just wanted to post and let you know that last night's debate was one of the best debates I have seen. Great job, Anderson!

October 19, 2011 at 9:30 am |
  3. Roy

I appreciate the debates. They have helped me come to know the candidates a little better. I'm encouraged by most (not all) of therepublican candidates. I'm tired of hearing that conservatives are not excited about Romney. I"m excited about Romney! I know several others who are excited about Romney. Unfortunately no one has talked to us.

October 19, 2011 at 2:59 am |
  4. Tim Murphy

I guess i'll try thig again.

I have to wonder why none of the other candidates asked where Mr.Cain thought the states would get teh money to pay for SSI and Medicare (since 9-9-9 puts both in the hands of the state/county/local governments). I can only think of 2 places off the top of my head.
    1) much higher property taxes (which likely is a non starter, as most states require voter overrides to raise porperty taxes) or
    2) a signifigant increase in sales taxes, plus a removal of what things CAN be taxed (to pretty much everything, using the federal 9% sales tax as a guide). imagine a new yorker with a $4000 monthly rent having to fork over another $1200+ a month in sales taxes?

At least he has a somewhat readable plan. extremely flawed, but a plan. what would you do to the tax laws if given the chance?

October 19, 2011 at 1:11 am |
  5. Kristen

I would prefer to see the candidates have allocated speaking time so we could have a more in depth understanding of how they stand on the issues. I found this format to be somewhat game-showish and did not want to hear candidates bashing each other. CNN – If you are truly interested in informing the voters, change the format.

October 18, 2011 at 11:24 pm |
    • Aalok

I agree. Also, in the post debate analysis, they did not allocate any time for the candidates not named Cain, Perry, or Romney (e.g. Ron Paul). I know that these are the three biggest candidates, but by not devoting ANY time to some of the other candidates, isn't CNN helping to influence the race? The media is our source for news and journalism, and if they are not devoting time to the other candidates, and then they say they have no chance, I feel like there is a chicken and egg thing going on.

October 19, 2011 at 4:08 am |
      • Aalok

By the way I an not necessarily a supporter of a particular candidate-I used Ron Paul as an example because even his own party has not really acknowledged him since he has some outlandish ideas. I am a big fan of AC360-I just want a fairer discussion about the debate (and a fairer debate as well).

October 19, 2011 at 4:11 am |
  6. Mitshu

Gov. Mitt Romney and Gov. Rick Perry destroyed this debate with proper statements and reaction to questions. Hermain
    Cain, Senator Rick Santorum, Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich, Con. Michele Bachmann were not able to respond to any questions because of the infrequent, incompetent and dissident statements from the Governors.

October 18, 2011 at 11:20 pm |
  7. Joseph Taormina

GOP debates still do and did not answer the main question! Since the 1950's companies became large corporations by buying out Ma & Pa Companies. In the 1970's they started going overseas for higher profits. In the 1990’s a major portion of corporations sort to out-source (with Republicans pushing and backing) our American jobs. So the most important question NOT ASKED? How do we get those jobs back? We are so bad we count hamburger jobs as real jobs!!! Where have you gone America?

October 18, 2011 at 11:17 pm |
  8. Sarah H

As a moderate Republican who believes in science and is no longer a church goer, I find no one who speaks for me. I believe that religion should be kept out of politics and find it very uncomfortable when candidates harp on "faith", especially distasteful when they try to make it sound patriotic. Ours is an increasingly diverse country, and that means religiously as well as racially and culturally. For years polls have shown that over 16% of Americans no longer identify themselves with any particular religion, and many do not believe at all – like me. I vote regularly, but this group is utterly failing to earn mine.

October 18, 2011 at 11:05 pm |
  9. Joan

The bickering and disrepect between the candidates was clearly unpresidential. Displaying such negativity was not only unprofessional but also self defeating for each candidate that indulged in it. The next president will be the most powerful political leader in the world. We need leaders who call us to our highest and best as a nation.. The next president of the United States must be a man or woman of great personal integrity, exceptional intelligence and self possessed dignity that the whole world can respect, trust, and admire. Make us proud!

October 18, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  10. rainman

I was very surprised at the CNN popularity percentage results that were reported. Rick Santorum, Michele Bachmann, and Newt Gingrich are by far the jewels of this election. Their order is unimportant but their sincerity for our country is. These three are hands down the best recipe for this country and will pull us out of financial ruin.
    The intelligence and background of these three candidates is not to be compared, in their die hard integrity for our country. It was so obvious it was sickening. When Rick Santorum got a reported 1% approval rating based on your review it was quite clear that there is something really wrong here. This pole is not representative of the truth at least not from where we sit. Mr. Cain is dynamic but falls short on the details. As for the rest, other than ones mention above, they seem to be stuck in a game show mentality who’s Constitution will always be stuck in neutral.
    Sincerely, Ray

October 18, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  11. Reed Williams

Anderson and company – for you folks to sit up on stools on TV and discuss the middle-class and poor is ridiculous! The occupiers are not nearly as real as the tea party.. and you all know that. Whether each of you can relate or not – You Are Not poor nor middle-class. It just looks bad = Limousine Liberals. just saying. p.s. thanks for having Dana on.. she balances.

October 18, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  12. John

The Michele Bachmann recipe: 1) Receive the question. 2) Blame Obama for everything wrong. 3) State that she will make everything right. 4) Hope the question goes away while not getting into the fray with any other candidate for fear of having to actually take a stand and debate an issue with someone.

Honestly, I'm tired of it. Too predictable.

October 18, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  13. D. Weygandt

After watching the candidate’s debate, it is clear the Rick Perry has no respect for the other candidates.
    This was obvious from his frequent interruptions, and failing to listen to their replies.
    It was also obvious that Rick Perry had no respect for Anderson Cooper by his refusal to answer some of the questions. Rick Perry seemed to be more interested in the nationally of the person who once mowed Governor Romney’s lawn, then the many important issues being discussed. Rick Perry was the big loser on tonight’s debate.

October 18, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
    • John Scarpa

I agree with D. Weygandt. Rick Perry's attack on Romney's lawn care contractor was petty. It made Perry seem small next to Romney. Romney clearly won that issue. When we hire a contractor to do work, it's the contractor's responsibility to ensure their workers are legal, not the homeowners.
      Just a brief comment on the after the debate panel with Anderson Cooper. What's the point of having left leaning pundits give their view on republican candidates. Of course they'll say the candidates didn't do well and if anything it helped Obama.

October 18, 2011 at 11:07 pm |
  14. Ralph Daily

None of them can deliver on any promises without congressional support. Our problem is congress and the house cannot agree on anything. They want the President to give them a bill, then they don't want to even work on it. Congress needs to get on with their job debating and passing the appropriations required to keep this Country moving ahead. We have had a no action Congress for too many years and it has got to stop and get on with doing their jobs. The working folks in this country would be fired if we acted that way. Thanks

October 18, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
    • Kristen

Ralph is correct – The president will not change the direction of this country, congress is tasked with that job. Short of that, we need to stand up as voters and demand real change by denying the lobbyists access to our government.

October 18, 2011 at 11:29 pm |
    • PATRICK HARRISON

Look up Warren Buffet's fix for Congress which should have been implemented long ago:
      they make laws for us that they do not have to follow, they give themselves pay raises and have the best health insurance in the country, they get great pensions while we lose our homes, and much more.

October 18, 2011 at 11:38 pm |