October 5th, 2011

Apple Founder Steve Jobs Dies: Join the Live Chat

We have breaking news on two fronts tonight. Apple confirms that its former CEO Steve Jobs has died. Plus, Sarah Palin announces she won't run for the White House in 2012. Plus, the latest on the Michael Jackson death trial and much more.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Janis

You can tell he's a great innovator, all his competitors are trying to duplicate his technical/marketing achievements.

You all are probably going to hear more wonderful Steve Jobs stories from his friends in the future. He will be a legend from now on. Imagine the lectures in all the business and computer classes

October 5, 2011 at 8:41 pm |
  2. Vladdo

After 28 years using its products, I can’t imagine my life without Apple. Thanks to Steve Jobs my life is better and I learned to do things with computers in a very simple yet wonderful way. R.I.P., Mr. Jobs.

October 5, 2011 at 8:38 pm |
  3. Sivaramakrishnan Muthuswamy

In his autobiography article he mentioned that after visiting India and her philosophy along with the poverty and lack of empathy to the poor and suffering, he mentioned that Thomas Alva Edison contributed more to alleviate the human sufferings more than any modern age Gurus and preists put together. His words are so true. Here I see a man who helped millions by his inventions. Let me pray God and I am sure his soul will rest in peace.

October 5, 2011 at 8:38 pm |
    • vic , nashville ,tn

Siva that is true "Thomas Alva Edison contributed more to alleviate the human sufferings more than any modern age Gurus and preists put together".

October 5, 2011 at 8:44 pm |
      • Nancy in Oregon

Which is the greatest gift a human can give. However it is given or left behind.

October 5, 2011 at 8:55 pm |
  4. Celeste

While he was just one man, I hold in my hand and on my lap a little piece of someone I never met but who imagined, without ever meeting me, things that have made all the difference in connecting me to this big world.

October 5, 2011 at 8:37 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Steve Jobs reminds us all how ONE person can change the world!

October 5, 2011 at 8:40 pm |
      • Nancy in Oregon

Oh yes, and for the better. I so wish more of that kind of visionary genius was fostered in our children...and not just to be 'used' toward technology or for making money but for creatively innovating solutions to the griefs of the world. Imagination and vision coupled with 'I can do it' can have unlimited impact!

October 5, 2011 at 8:45 pm |
  5. Nina

Excellent video, Anderson and Team 360. Thanks

October 5, 2011 at 8:35 pm |
  6. Starr, formerly know as vincent

Am really enjoying the montage of Steve Jobs, very touching. Thanks Anderson.

October 5, 2011 at 8:35 pm |
  7. vic , nashville ,tn

Upgrading the product every year is hard he did excellent job as CEO

October 5, 2011 at 8:34 pm |
  8. Joe

Anderson, don't forget iTunes where Apple saved the music industry and revolution
    ize the selling of music.

October 5, 2011 at 8:33 pm |
  9. lisal -canada

excellent tribute footage and presentation – i am sure steve jobs will keep quantum-leaping forward and acting as a catalyst for innovation

October 5, 2011 at 8:33 pm |
  10. Dana from the Bay Area

Wow that was pretty sad to hear about Steve Jobs dieing so suddenly. I hope his family will be okay.

Also Anderson, you made a mistake, Apple was not the first personal computer. Berkeley Enterprises made the Simons, back in 1950 for $300.

October 5, 2011 at 8:33 pm |
  11. Bill

This is so very very sad ! He will be missed !

October 5, 2011 at 8:33 pm |
  12. Sri, Texas

Inspired many folks like me working in the tech industry to build better products

October 5, 2011 at 8:32 pm |
  13. Nancy in Oregon

Good evening, people. Well, we knew this day would come, but it's still sad. My thoughts are with the family and close friends of Steve Jobs.

October 5, 2011 at 8:32 pm |
  14. Janis

Yep, there it is, the funny little Macintosh (just like the apple) – short and sweet.

October 5, 2011 at 8:29 pm |
  15. Sharon

Didn't Steve Jobs found Pixar before it was sold to Disney?

October 5, 2011 at 8:28 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Sharon,
      Yes, He was..... I think so...... I am not sure he had sold to disney as well.

October 5, 2011 at 8:38 pm |
    • Anne

Yes, I believe that is true.

October 5, 2011 at 8:39 pm |
  16. iBernard

I wouldn't be half the photographer/artist I am today (stop snickering!) if it weren't for Canon cameras...and Apple.

Thank you, Steve.
    My condolences to your family, team, friends, and everyone else who is feeling this sadness right now.

October 5, 2011 at 8:27 pm |
  17. Bob-Michigan

iSad. An innovator that will be missed greatly.

October 5, 2011 at 8:27 pm |
    • Trudy in MN

iSad, indeed. Thanks for the concept, Bob. It's hard to let go of people who have touched so many, so profoundly.

October 5, 2011 at 8:41 pm |
  18. Linda Stanley

Watching 360 right now and the comment about Steve Jobs being the Thomas Edison of our time struck me. I think we won't even be the one's to realize what he has really done. It will be the next generation reading about the Computer age in what will be their history books who will know the real impact Apple and Steve Jobs has had on the world and the way we communicate with each other on the planet

October 5, 2011 at 8:27 pm |
  19. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

He was able to take the simplest thing to a whole new level which make us all think, "How did we ever get this long without it?"

October 5, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
  20. Jeff

Steve Jobs Facebook page likes is increasing thousands per minute

October 5, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yes, Jeff........ many comments any media as well about Steve Jobs too.

October 5, 2011 at 8:29 pm |
    • Lesa Lockhart

How sad, America has lost a great pioneer, 2011 must be turning point in America. We are losing some our greatest minds.
      I pray for his family and hope for the best for the future.

October 5, 2011 at 8:33 pm |
  21. Lori - CA

He seemed very outgoing.

October 5, 2011 at 8:23 pm |
  22. Rick

Steve will likely not be remembered as may Bill Gates or Carnegie, a great philanthropist, but more as a revolutionary whose vision changed the world forever. There are a great number of loyal Apple consumers tonight somberly sitting in front of their computers ...

October 5, 2011 at 8:23 pm |
  23. Jennifer - Michigan

The iphone is so amazing.....it's funny how a 2 year old is able to navigate on it to use kid's games – it's really so innovative.

October 5, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
  24. russ stauffer

I am shattered at the loss – – – how sad for his family, for apple, and for us. -rusty

October 5, 2011 at 8:21 pm |
  25. Lori - CA

He has touched many lives!

October 5, 2011 at 8:21 pm |
  26. Starr, formerly know as vincent

I'm not much of a tech person (i only have a laptop).

However, to support the company & in memory of Steve J., i will save my money to buy the I-pad i have longed for for so long.

October 5, 2011 at 8:20 pm |
    • Nina

Steve jobs was a visionary... Iphone, Ipad, etc...

October 5, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
  27. Gretchen

Anderson,Steve Jobs wow ,so creative.We really need to invest more in health and sciences,we really have to find cures and better treatments for cancer of all kinds,it's just so incredibly wrong to lose such a life from cancer.I just imagine that one day he might have created a computer chip that would go through your body and attack all cancer cells,it's just no telling what more he would have done,the world will miss Steve Jobs.

October 5, 2011 at 8:20 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Terrific post Gretchen! I agree that someday soon, with appropriate research, something like you suggested will become available to kill cancers, ALL of them.

There is a device right now that can be injected into the body for diagnostic purposes.

October 5, 2011 at 8:23 pm |
  28. Janis

Good evening everyone.

I remember the funny thing that was called the Macintosh computer when IBM-PC dominated the market in business. All the math students were eager to get their hands on it at my University (check-out from the lab). What a great innovator. You couldn't ignore the technology no matter how hard his competitors tried to blow it off.

Rest in peace, Mr. Jobs. My condolences to his family.

October 5, 2011 at 8:17 pm |
  29. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Bloggers,
    That's horrible diease what people have cancer so stricken many years...... I hope all of you have learned to prevent cancer as well....... Dr. Sanjay Gutpa is also right..... We already learn about cancer.......

October 5, 2011 at 8:16 pm |
    • Jennifer - Michigan

My mom died of ovarian cancer – she was 56 too. It's too young.

October 5, 2011 at 8:18 pm |
      • Nina

I am sorry to hear of your mother's death. She was too young. Ovarian cancer is very dangerous as it is usually not detected until it is just too late. Lost family members to the Ovarian cancer too.

October 5, 2011 at 8:21 pm |
        • Jennifer - Michigan

You're right...it was actually misdiagnosed orginially. By the time they figured it out, it was just too late.

October 5, 2011 at 8:23 pm |
        • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good point, Nna..... Very dangerous diease thing...... That was so horrible diease stricken many years, and Jennifer....
          I think you're right...... some people don't know what doctor told misdiagnosed cancer as well.... Good point there.

October 5, 2011 at 8:49 pm |
      • Gretchen

Jennifer,I'm so sorry for your loss,56 is too young.We really should push our elected officials to invest more in education in sciences,and health,the world is losing great thinkers andvery special people like your mom.Stay strong Jennifer.

October 5, 2011 at 8:29 pm |
        • Nina

Gretchen
          Cancer is genetic. I do not think there is much anyone can really do other than eating reasonably healthy and exercise regularly and try to keep stress low.

October 5, 2011 at 8:40 pm |
  30. Saray

He wore $200 outfit and ran best company in the world. Most of the CEO's could learn a lot from his legacy.

October 5, 2011 at 8:15 pm |
  31. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooooo everyone and Anderson!!!!
    Thanks for coming in for join us tonight! 😀
    Anderson and I also heart goes out to Steve Jobs's family, friends and co-workers...... That's so sad day for us to remember what he have made apple i-pod or Mac Apple comupter as well. 🙁

October 5, 2011 at 8:13 pm |
  32. Nina

Steve Jobs was brilliant and will be missed by many... He was so young... Cancer is a terrible disease

October 5, 2011 at 8:11 pm |
  33. vic , nashville ,tn

May be he is not with us today but every day we can feel that he is with us he made the world small for us to do better communication

October 5, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
  34. Lori - CA

Hi Anderson! Hi Everyone! Good evening.

October 5, 2011 at 8:07 pm |
  35. kaytee

Enjoyed the walk down memory lane. RIP Steve Jobs.

October 5, 2011 at 8:07 pm |
  36. Jennifer - Michigan

Steve Jobs followed his gut which made him so successful – he was able to predict what people wanted even before they did.

October 5, 2011 at 8:07 pm |
  37. lisal -canada

sad to hear of steve jobs' passing – amazing how he continued to realize his visions and bring them to productive fruition

October 5, 2011 at 8:07 pm |
  38. John M. , Elkridge, MD

iphone 4S = iphone 4 Steve

October 5, 2011 at 8:06 pm |
    • vic , nashville ,tn

good point

October 5, 2011 at 8:09 pm |
    • Sharon Hastings

Yes and I'm getting one. It will mean more to me thinking of it that way.

October 5, 2011 at 8:13 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Beautiful post John, & a great tribute to Steve. J.

October 5, 2011 at 8:16 pm |
  39. Anne

This is very sad news although not surprising since he recently stepped aside at Apple. Given all that he envisioned and developed in the past, it's hard to imagine what a visionary like Steve Jobs might have brought us over another 20 years.

October 5, 2011 at 8:06 pm |
    • Nancy in Oregon

Visionaries are so rare...and so important. Critical.

October 5, 2011 at 8:35 pm |
  40. Saray

This was one truly cool dude...we are not as great country as we were few hours ago!

October 5, 2011 at 8:05 pm |
    • Anne

Perfectly stated, Sarray.

October 5, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

What a great way to explain Steve Jobs & his relationship to innovation in America Saray. I surely agree with your post.

Let's pray that the company will be able to move forward with the same success.

October 5, 2011 at 8:09 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yes, He was so true cool...... He was 21 years old when he founder Apple computer so early years!!!!

October 5, 2011 at 8:20 pm |
  41. Jennifer - Michigan

prognosis is not good with pancreatic cancer......very scary.

October 5, 2011 at 8:05 pm |
    • Nina

prognosis is bad for any high stage cancer. A couple of years is considered good. I, too, am looking at that. I have metastatic stage 4 breast cancer and also working full time right now. Life expectancy is about 3 years.

October 5, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
      • Jennifer - Michigan

I'm sorry to hear that.....I pray for your recovery and strength to get through the long road ahead.

October 5, 2011 at 8:12 pm |
      • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Nina, God bless you. The work to cure or extend women's lives with breat cancer is non-stop. I have my pin that i wear everyday and am much involved with prodcuts that contribute to breat cancer research.

My thoughts & prayers will be with you daily. Please remember, miracles still do happen.

October 5, 2011 at 8:13 pm |
        • Nina

Thanks Starr, Sharon and Jennifer. Like Steve, I have been to China and looking at alternative treatments along with Western medicine. Only time will tell.

October 5, 2011 at 8:18 pm |
      • Sharon Hastings

Very sorry to hear this Nina. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

October 5, 2011 at 8:15 pm |
      • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Nina,
        We are sorry about your cancer as well......... our hearts goes out to you...........You are our prayer with you!!!! 🙂 Stay positive.

October 5, 2011 at 8:25 pm |
        • Nina

Thanks Megan. I try to stay positive but difficult when cancer is crawling around in side of your body attaching to other organs....

October 5, 2011 at 8:45 pm |
          • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Welcome Nina..... 🙂

October 5, 2011 at 8:50 pm |
          • Nancy in Oregon

Of course it is. It is a powerful reminder to all of us to use our time well. It is not endless for any of us. Thank you for sharing, Nina.

October 5, 2011 at 8:59 pm |
      • Chris

I'm sorry to hear that, Nina. I hope things go well for you and don't ever give up.

October 5, 2011 at 8:42 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Jennifer,

You're so absolutely right, That's so scary one so bad news as well..... I agree......

October 5, 2011 at 8:23 pm |
  42. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

iSteve was before his time. May God be with his family and friends!

October 5, 2011 at 8:05 pm |
  43. Starr, formerly know as vincent

Evening Anderson & Team 360.

Hello sound off friends.

Sad, sad evening with the loss of Steve Jobs.

An amazing man/genius, who truly earned an incredible legacy.

Prayers to his family, friends, the company and all of those who admired this man.

October 5, 2011 at 8:03 pm |
  44. vic , nashville ,tn

Good evening every one

Sad news

October 5, 2011 at 8:03 pm |
  45. Jennifer - Michigan

I remember my dad had an apple computer back in 1983.....I was a teenager. Now he has an ipad he likes to show off to people – he's 73.

October 5, 2011 at 8:02 pm |
  46. Nina

Good Evening Everyone

Very sad about Steve Jobs. Cancer kills a lot of people :~(

October 5, 2011 at 8:02 pm |
  47. Sharon Hastings

Good evening everyone. So sad about Steve Jobs. Thank you Steve, rest in peace.

October 5, 2011 at 8:01 pm |
  48. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

He was a young man, Steve Jobs!

October 5, 2011 at 8:01 pm |
  49. Jennifer - Michigan

Good evening...sad news about Steve Jobs

October 5, 2011 at 8:00 pm |
  50. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone! Greetings!

October 5, 2011 at 8:00 pm |