September 30th, 2011

Video: The RidicuList: Students who sneeze in Mr. K's class

A California high school teacher's strong stance on sneezes lands his class on the RidicuList.

Post by:
Filed under: The RidicuList
  1. Kia

ha. funny. my math teacher was just talking about the disruptive nature of saying "bless you" in class. "Next thing you know, kids will be handing out cough drops to each other..." Oh, that'll be horrible! 🙂

October 2, 2011 at 12:01 am |
  2. Lisa Brooks

While I agree with Anderson that the excessive response to sneezing is a prank that is done to annoy their teacher, I also agree with the teacher who said that it isn't a necessary thing to say. In "polite society" people often feel offended if someone does not say "bless you" after they sneeze but I wonder if it isn't really the province of the clergy to hand out blessings when god's name is being invoked?? Just wondering . . .

October 1, 2011 at 5:57 pm |
  3. Thomas

Anderson, saying 'God Bless You' when someone sneezes is from times of the black plague. If you sneezed it meant you were sick and soon going to die. Therefore 'God Bless You.'

October 1, 2011 at 12:19 pm |
  4. Sierra Bean

I am a student at the school that this issue occured at! Mr. Kuck doesnt desrve any of this negative publicity. He punished his students because they were being ridiculous and screaming bless you over and over again in an annoying way! This is no religious matter. His students got mad because of their punishment and they retaliated by telling the press.. I am most definately on team Kuck! he did nothing wrong!

October 1, 2011 at 1:59 am |
  5. JG

Sorry Anderson, Claritin really doesn't stop the sneezing. I have an allergic disorder and take it every day, and I still sneeze.

Seriously, if I sneeze (and I do a lot of that), I like it when somebody says bless you. With all my allergies, I need every blessing I can get.

Lighten up Mr. K...(is that short for "Kerr-choo?)

October 1, 2011 at 12:10 am |
  6. Kathleen

My calculus teacher in high school had a similar stance, but was much more relaxed about it. As kids I think we all were trained to say "bless you" and it became kind of an automatic response. She understood this and didn't mind too much in class, but on test days she would have us all say a group "Bless you!" before beginning to get it out of the way in case there was a sneeze later. She was serious about disruptions but at least she had a sense of humor about it and ended up being one of my favorite teachers.

September 30, 2011 at 11:46 pm |
  7. Carin JK

I had to laugh...I teach high school. Welcome to a peek into our world. Multiply by a thousand and you have a typical week. There is nothing funnier or frustrating than a teenager, but they keep you on you game.

September 30, 2011 at 11:44 pm |
  8. danny s

the teacher is incorrect about the origin if the phrase "bless you" after a sneeze. it comes from the period when the bubonic plague (also know as the black death) was a 14th century epidemic. a sneeze was a sign of sickness and was thought that you had the plague therefore soon to die, in wich a "bless you" was in good order.... WERD!!!

September 30, 2011 at 11:08 pm |