September 27th, 2011

Bullying Doesn't Stop After Student's Death: Join the Live Chat

Tonight, a shocking revelation from the family of 14-year-old Jamey Rodemeyer who took his life just nine days ago. According to his sister, the bullying didn't stop even when Jamey was dead. She shares what happened during a school dance just days ago tonight on AC360°. Plus, opening statements in the trial of Michael Jackson's doctor, who's accused of involuntary manslaughter in the singer's 2007 death. Jurors heard audio of a drugged and rambling Jackson. We'll play part of it for you. Plus, tonight's other headlines.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Sarah, Buffalo, NY

While bullying is a parental issue, in this situation, it is also a school culture issue. Bullying at that particular high school is such a pervasive part of the culture that those "running" the show can't see it in any other way. The administration prefers to ignore problems rather than address them, or address picayune and petty things, instead of real problems, like teachers cheating for students during final exams, or bullying.

This district has a pending lawsuit against it b/c of harassment of one teacher by another, and the resulting job loss, of the victim. Harassment for a disability is no different from bullying.

Also, in this particular school, the inmates are running the asylum. Many, not all, of the children there are over-indulged, spoiled, and have too little time, love, and attention from their parents. All of this comes from personal experience with the school.

September 27, 2011 at 8:38 pm |
  2. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

The defense team is the only ones who do not speak the whole truth.

September 27, 2011 at 8:37 pm |
  3. Joyce-Sc

Here is one case for everyone to read. My daughter was in HS several years ago, and she was bullied and even death threats and this was happening on school grounds all over a breakup with a guy. The answer from the school that she was attending from the assistant principal was she should quit school and take her GED. I took this answer to the governors office in Sc and never received a response. She was a honor student at the time. So my heart goes out to Jamey Rodemeyer family.

September 27, 2011 at 8:37 pm |
    • Steve, South Carolina

Joyce, What city are yo in as I would try to get that school board unseated for not listening to your complaint. I think it is time to rise up against some of these long-seated school boards. We should contact Superintendent Zias and get some changes. Steve

September 27, 2011 at 8:50 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Joyce,
      I am sorry about your daughter, My heart goes out to you and your daughter..... That was so horrible in your life too..... I felt your pain and know that was breaking my heart who bullied your daughter as well, Thanks for your story, let us know, we will here for both of you......

September 27, 2011 at 8:52 pm |
  4. lisal -canada

sounds to me (the slurred tape) that even during a sedated state, michael's mind was still churning, planning, spinning – wonder if he ever was able to be mentally silent inside his own head.

September 27, 2011 at 8:37 pm |
  5. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    I never have drink coffee in my life...... except ice cream coffee I ate...... I saw you tried drink sip coffee during talk show!!!!!!! (Smile)

September 27, 2011 at 8:35 pm |
  6. Brenda, San Diego

This is a community and social issue. Every person/parent/child and every social system (like schools) need to take this seriously. Abuse is abuse.....and bullies should be expelled from school for an extended period of time, immediately. PERIOD. All members of families where there is bullying should be required to attend anti-bullying classes. PERIOD. Schools that do not respond immediately to bullying should be penalized...in the media if no where else. We are perfectly willing to create legal initiatives around harassment in the workplace or smoking in public, but we have the audacity to pass the buck back to parents for bullying. Shame on us. We need to step up!

September 27, 2011 at 8:34 pm |
  7. lisal -canada

well I rarely get depressed, and coffee is pretty much the only beverage I consume – for me it is a food group!! Hmm 🙂

September 27, 2011 at 8:33 pm |
  8. Jeffrey Pawlik

What is alarming is that the school is doing nothing and allowing these bullies to remain IN school and they are able to attend these extracurricular activities. No doubt in my mind the whole school knows who these bullies are.

September 27, 2011 at 8:31 pm |
  9. Paula, Colorado

It's going to be a really long election race.

September 27, 2011 at 8:30 pm |
  10. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

That's not Mic! It can't be!

September 27, 2011 at 8:28 pm |
    • Janis

No, it's not him. It's drug addiction talking.

September 27, 2011 at 8:45 pm |
  11. Nikki

I just watched the show here in Manila and I was shocked. Is there no way that the parents of these bullies can be held accountable? Were they really oblivious to what their children were doing and are still doing? There should be ZERO tolerance for bullying. Worldwide. Unfortunately, there are my shows on TV that glamorizes bullying. However, good parenting is still key to stopping this very very sick behavior.

September 27, 2011 at 8:27 pm |
  12. kevin

I am a 48 yr old male. I was bullied through the 70's, threatened to be killed, lunch or lunch money stolen, never given an =freedom on the playground, I sould hide and hewoud find me. He still lives in my home town. his bullying has had amn impact for my entire life. I can never stick p for myself – have become a passifist through fear. Bosses raise their voice i cower. many friend haver said to grow a set af balls, it is way more than that. you can't dump you rpast, it is who you are. I would love to talk more about this... Don't stop the conversation, in actuality, follow up with older people who live their lives in the shadow of bullying.
    please contact me for full story. it is a 3 year ugly experience that has left me a wimpy angry guy.

Kevin Ellinigwood

September 27, 2011 at 8:27 pm |
    • vic , nashville ,tn

Thanks for sharing your experience my family member gone through the same so she didn’t want to send her kids to school. First she decided home schooling for her kids. Later she decided send her kids to school.
      My point some time the bulling affect carry life long

September 27, 2011 at 8:42 pm |
  13. Janis

The first story on bullying has me just dumbfounded. The mean- spirited and emotionally toxic don't belong in a public school or even participating in social activities in that school. Their parents should be held accountable for the bullies behavior.

September 27, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Janis,
      You have good point and you're so absolutely right....... we were so confusing how we are misbehaving people who are bullied against each other......... 🙁

September 27, 2011 at 8:40 pm |
  14. Steve, South Carolina

Anderson, I have been so touched by all the young guys that have committed suicide recently because they have been bullied. I am a 67 yr. old gay man and I would love to have these young boys come and live with me as I can understand their situation. I can offer them a place to grow up and love and support to prevent this needless loss of life. Please feel free to pass my e-mail address to any young guys that need support. This is such a waste of life, when we are here to reach out and help. I know your situation and I need your help to save these young men. My e-mail is selove24@bellsouth.net and I am in Florence, SC. Please pass the word around. Every life we save is worth all we can give to this effort.

September 27, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

May God bless you Steve for sending out such a kind and understanding message.

September 27, 2011 at 8:30 pm |
      • Steve, South Carolina

Starr, I would spend my retirement funds to help save lives rather than enjoying a nice retirement. I am gay so some may get the wrong idea, but I can understand better than most people. I ended up in a divorce after being arrested because I was gay, so I told my sons and started my life over as a gay father. I am the babysitter when they need help with the younger ones and we are very close. We spend all the holidays together and we cook and enjoy meals together frequently. I am also a soccer-garanddad right now. I love all the sons, their wives, and all the grandchildren. I would love to have a few more young guys in my life, if I could help prevent them from using suicide as a way out. Direct any to me that you think I can help. Steve

September 27, 2011 at 8:42 pm |
    • Steve, South Carolina

I forgot to add that I have 3 sons and 8 grandchildren that range from 2-19 in age. We are a very happy family and all the sons and older granchildren know my situation. They all have supported me over the years. Steve

September 27, 2011 at 8:31 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Thanks for your comment, I think you are so absolutely right!

September 27, 2011 at 8:37 pm |
  15. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

If the Republican get into office, everything will go down Capitol Hill!

September 27, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
  16. nancy

If there is video footage at the dance that captured the "hecklers" it should be shown to the world....they should be revealed and their horrific taunts brought to light....and any adults that were there should be made accountable if it is shown that they did not stop them a.s.a.p. Lots of programs out there addressing "bullying".....but where are the programs to teach "compassion??" You cannot have one without the other.

September 27, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
    • Janis

Since they are children, maybe the video needs to be turned over to the school and their parents invited in to view it. I don't think fighting bullying by being another form of bully is the answer. However, their parents should be confronted with it with very strong recriminations and consequences. I'm angry about it too, Nancy. It's so heartbreaking.

September 27, 2011 at 8:42 pm |
  17. Jason Reckart

I was a victim of bulling that seemed to be after a while to be a normal part of life. Strange is not. But what I don't understand is where the legal line is because the bully always fronts their 1st Amendment rights. How do you win!

September 27, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
    • kevin

did this bullying have long lasting affects? Does it still haunt you today?

September 27, 2011 at 8:38 pm |
  18. vic , nashville ,tn

“Nothing wrong with GOP candidates the problems is GOP base”
    I heard last night that is true

September 27, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
  19. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

These people just make up stuff!

September 27, 2011 at 8:23 pm |
  20. lisal -canada

so if christie changes his mind, would he be flip-flopping, or just changing his mind? at some point he will consider himself ready.

September 27, 2011 at 8:23 pm |
  21. Sharon Hastings

Will these far right wingers want Christie?? Alot of what he believes in will not sit well with them. The poor guy doesn't really want to and who can blame him? Who would want to be President now. Also his health may be a factor. He is seriously overweight and has asthma and probably weight related health issues. Running and then being president takes a big toll on the body.

September 27, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
  22. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Too late governor Christie!!!!!!!!

September 27, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
  23. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

What kind of campaign manager that the President has to make such an announcement?

September 27, 2011 at 8:21 pm |
  24. Lou - CT

I am amazed at the strength of Jamie's sister. This is such a sad story to follow as the bullying still continues. I want to thank you and your team for shining light on this topic that needs to end, not just in schools but in everyday life.

September 27, 2011 at 8:21 pm |
  25. thomas jones, revere ma

Anderson great piece.. God bless jamie so much.. i never was bullied and im not gay but it just hurt's so bad to see people go thru things like that ploease keep up the great work love you man

September 27, 2011 at 8:20 pm |
  26. Gary, North Carolina

Jamey was a couragous young man. He should not be remembered for the way his life ended, but the way he lived his life, with bravery in the face of terror. There will always be bullies and unfortunatley, there will always be Jameys.

September 27, 2011 at 8:18 pm |
  27. Paula, Colorado

Your discussion is a nice tribute to Jamey.

September 27, 2011 at 8:18 pm |
  28. Sharon Hastings

Schools can't just write it in a policy statement that they have zero tolerance. They have to act like they do–taking immediate action to suspend students, call in parents for a conference, and inform the student and their parents that another instance will result in expulsion. After several kids are expelled others will be convinced that the school is serious. This doesn't necessarily deal with the underlying cause but we want these kids out of our schools. They are poison.

September 27, 2011 at 8:17 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Excelent post Sharon & true! That kind of action will defintely hold "bullies" accountable.

September 27, 2011 at 8:20 pm |
    • vic , nashville ,tn

I totally agree
      Sad part past couple of years the bullying is increased in schools local and main stream media are talking about this why these kids (bullies) parents not taking action ?

September 27, 2011 at 8:35 pm |
  29. Michele

I agree with the comments that this is a parenting issue. Those parents are probably the ones who say "not my kids" alot! However, if it's a school function AND they were well aware of the history of this, the teachers should have been much more engaged. Reviewing policies is not enough.

September 27, 2011 at 8:16 pm |
    • vic , nashville ,tn

I always oppose state take kids from parents but in this case I wish states take these kids from parents

September 27, 2011 at 8:19 pm |
  30. Lori - CA

I believe that our society morals have eroded.

September 27, 2011 at 8:16 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

I agree with you Lori. It's not just a parental issue anymore, it is a social issue. Kids draw strength from eachother and bully.
      Morally, there is NO excuse for what is going on in schools or the amount of kids we are losing!

Parents, teachers, principles, Adults, anyone who sees a kid getting bullied needs to get involved & Stop it!

September 27, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
      • Lori - CA

Thanks Starr....well said.

September 27, 2011 at 8:30 pm |
      • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

That's right, Starr!!!!!!! You are so absolutely right!

September 27, 2011 at 8:42 pm |
  31. Jay

The interview that you just aired was a hair raising experience for me. It is amazing how strong is Jeremey's sister. I am sure Jeremey himself was pretty striong, but it goes to prove that at that tender age, bullying breaks down any amount strength and resiliency the child has. This should be a serious offence and our lawmakers must act immediately and stop this once for all. Like Megan's law, we should rally for a Jeremey's law!

September 27, 2011 at 8:15 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good point there, Jay......... Good idea, we can use Jamey's law for sure anti-bulies!!!!!!!

September 27, 2011 at 8:45 pm |
  32. Carlos

I just can't believe those bullies had the nerve to say those harsh things to the sister! What are they being taught at home? I just can't believe it! I'm just speechless!

September 27, 2011 at 8:15 pm |
  33. lisal -canada

alyssa is so right – no one deserves to be bullied. I think that bullies themselves were likely bullied and that should not have happened to them either – bullying is a lose-lose scenario.

September 27, 2011 at 8:14 pm |
  34. Basma Healu

God be with them and bless them all. I feel for this family and prayers and thoughts go with them. It's time for our school districts to take action and stop bulling forever.

September 27, 2011 at 8:14 pm |
  35. vic , nashville ,tn

Good evening every one
    Enough is enough, little girl spoke loud today Please take sever action against bullies

September 27, 2011 at 8:13 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good point there Vic!!!!!!!

September 27, 2011 at 8:32 pm |
  36. Lori - CA

Bullying is a moral issue. Other's feelings matter.

September 27, 2011 at 8:12 pm |
  37. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

That was a nice interview, I respect the sister spirit.

September 27, 2011 at 8:12 pm |
  38. Roger

Stay Strong for Jamie and other were the victim of bullying

September 27, 2011 at 8:10 pm |
  39. Ken

It is alarming to hear these stories. We had the same thing happen this past week here in Wichita, KS a high school freshmen in the first couple weeks of school took her own life for being bullied at her school. The school district right now is being very tight lipped about this and I think really needs to be talking about this. Their response was we give out our bullying policy at the beginning of each school year and as a parent we sign all this paperwork but is it really read? Now I am going to go back to the school and ask to have a copy of the policy so I can read and see what it really says. This story on Anderson Cooper makes me so sad and also the one here with such similarities also makes me so sad.

September 27, 2011 at 8:09 pm |
    • Brenda, MT

CNN/Anderson PLEASE cover the story from this neighborhood too. Let's create as much visibility and social pressure for change as possible.

September 27, 2011 at 8:25 pm |
  40. Michele

Where are the parents of these kids and why isn't someone doing something about their behavior. Shame on the school for not stopping it sooner.

September 27, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good point Michele!!!!!

September 27, 2011 at 8:13 pm |
    • Vince

Greetings everyone,

I was wondering as well – where are the parents of the kids who are bullying? Are these parents addressing the issue of their kids bullying other children...

September 27, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
  41. Katie

Anti-bullying programs are a joke. They are in place to cover schools legal butts. The same kids that will color an anti-bullying poster will turn around and bully some, while saying that it's different. Our school district has a huge problem and some of the most popular kids with the staff are bullies.

September 27, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
  42. Janis

Hello everyone.

This is a heartbreaking story.

September 27, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
  43. Starr, formerly know as vincent

Evening Anderson & Team 360.

Hello blogger friends!

The story of Jamie is so very sad, like the many that came before him. What is Wrong with the young people today?!
    The need to bully, where does it come from, the permission to builly, where does it come from?!

September 27, 2011 at 8:06 pm |
  44. Lori - CA

Name calling really hurts.

September 27, 2011 at 8:05 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yup, Names so cruel against only one kid by bullied students!!!! That will not acceptable to call names on people, that is so outrage I have heard!

September 27, 2011 at 8:12 pm |
  45. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooooo everyone and Anderson!!!!
    Thanks for coming in for join us tonight! 😀
    Hope you have great weekend! 🙂
    Happy Tuesday night!!!
    Right now, I am shock what Jamey had to say so bad. he is bullied other kids at school!!!! I am proud of Lady Gaga supports that too.

September 27, 2011 at 8:04 pm |
  46. Ellen

SO sad...BUT...this is NOT a political or school system issue...this is a PARENTING issue.

It is the responsibility of parents to INSTILL in their own children their worth (through example) and untiring guidance. A child...any human...who is connected to their 'authentic truth' can recognize any falsity/illusion that comes before them; they can see it and most of all feel it AND they are untouchable.

The only legislation that should be considered is bringing charges against the parents of the perpetrator(s); unfortunately, we have constructed a society that only understands punishment (usually monetary or relinquishment of freedom) before they'll take something seriously enough.

September 27, 2011 at 8:04 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Ellen,
      You are so absolutely right about parents issue..... That will be parents fault as well, I agree.

September 27, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
  47. Lori - CA

Hi Anderson. Hi Everyone. Good Evening! Anderson is so wonderful.

September 27, 2011 at 8:03 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yes, Lori...... Anderson is most honor man I know...... He is best journalist!

September 27, 2011 at 8:09 pm |
  48. Sharon Hastings

Good evening everyone. I did happen to read about what Jamey's sister had to say. Can't believe it. It's almost worse than the original bullying. What is producing these kids?? Their parents? I know kids can be cruel and mean at times but this is so over the top. How can you hate someone so much that you drive them to kill themself and then say you're glad they are dead. I would love for their parents to be interviewed. Why don't you try Anderson.

September 27, 2011 at 8:02 pm |
  49. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! It's great to see you on. Sounds like a fascinating program tonight. Sad topics.

September 27, 2011 at 8:00 pm |
  50. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone! Greetings!

September 27, 2011 at 8:00 pm |