September 22nd, 2011

UnGodly Discipline: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on our continuing series 'Ungodly Discipline', when religion is sometimes used as an excuse to mistreat children. Gary Tuchman reports on a school in Indiana that is facing accusations that are hard to comprehend.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good for Jaycee Dugard!!!!!!!!
    Good night Anderson, everyone and my friends!!!!!!!
    See you tomorrow night, Have a great night & Sleep tight everyone!!!
    That's so silly I like ridiculist Piers Morgan and else, LOL! So funny Anderson, Thanks Anderson!!!! I agree with you, I love his funny expression face!!!!!! LOL!!! He is right! 🙂
    Have a good Friday!

Thanks for coming in, for join us tonight! 🙂
    Anderson,
    Have a great night & good sleep at home after work!!!
    See you tomorrow night!!! Just a plenty sleep at home!

September 22, 2011 at 8:55 pm |
  2. Starr, formerly know as vincent

Good for Ms. Dugard – she has every right to sue them for their negligence.

Thank you & good night Anderson. another great show.

Good night fellow writers – i wish you a safe & peaceful day tomorrowl.

Glad for the Ridiculist tonight. The news of the last several days has been intense – will be nice to laugh. Thanks Anderson for giving us something "light" at the end of the show-always appreciated.

September 22, 2011 at 8:55 pm |
  3. Cathy

I think it's great that Kate is becoming educated on her role and how the government in England operates. I think William wants to be sure she is prepared for her role and not left on her own to figure it out as was the case with Diana.

September 22, 2011 at 8:53 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Cathy,
      I agree......Good point there!!!!!

September 22, 2011 at 8:56 pm |
  4. Bev Sitherwood

“To terrify children with the image of hell and beat them into submission—is that good for the world?” ~ Bev in Ga

September 22, 2011 at 8:53 pm |
  5. Sharon Hastings

What a wonderful man and what wonderful work he is doing. I love CNN heroes. It's a message of hope and how we each can make a difference in the world.

September 22, 2011 at 8:52 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Me too, I love CNN Heroes is my favorite in the year, Sharon!!!!!!! 🙂

September 22, 2011 at 8:58 pm |
  6. lisal -canada

watching the situation in somalia makes me think, yet again, that we should feel a responsibility to separate our own personal wants and needs and be aware of that distinction

September 22, 2011 at 8:52 pm |
  7. Lori-CA

Good night Anderson. Sweet dreams. Good night Everyone. Sweet dreams.

September 22, 2011 at 8:51 pm |
  8. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

All one has to do is talk to kids. Kids will listen. One does not have to result to hitting on kids.

September 22, 2011 at 8:46 pm |
    • Janis

You're right, Gloria. That worked for me.

September 22, 2011 at 8:51 pm |
    • vic , nashville ,tn

One problem I observed now days many parents don’t spend much time with their kids
      When I was child we spend more time with parents they talk to us and listen to us
      In public their eyes talks to us still I remember

September 22, 2011 at 8:54 pm |
      • Cathy

I agree, Vic. I don't think a lot of parents take the time to talk to their kids and many don't know how. It's a serious problem.

September 22, 2011 at 8:57 pm |
  9. Jamaa

I don't see the reason why people whine about spanking. It's called discipline. I grew up with it, even at school. It has made me who i am. I never at any single day had suicidal thoughts, so people should appreciate the effect of discipline if done appropriately.

September 22, 2011 at 8:44 pm |
    • Cathy

It would be interesting to hear straight from others who attended the school and have no complaints.

September 22, 2011 at 8:47 pm |
    • Matthew

And I attended school and church at Fairhaven with all of those interview, and I do agree with spanking my 2 children. However, I do not agree with the way spankings were done there. First.....spanking should be done only by a childs parents. The Bible does NOT charge a church to "train up a child in the way he should go". It commands the PARENT! God holds the parent responsible for raising their children. Secondly....spanking should be done by the parent out of love and concern that their child will continue to do wrong.

September 22, 2011 at 8:54 pm |
      • Cathy

I agree. Did the parents not have a problem with all that went on there?

September 22, 2011 at 8:58 pm |
    • Laurie

Hi I believe children should be disciplined but not abused. This has nothing to do with spankings but about staff at a "Christian" school taking their authority too far and straight out abusing them when they were children. I used to attend that church but I did not go to the school but I did go to Church every Sunday when I was growing up. I never had any problems with the staff there but always heard rumors of children being hit and locked in closets. So for the people that had that happen to them I am truly sorry about what you had to go through. I hope one day that pastor will be brought down for the wrong that he has done and for the wrong he has allowed to happen.

September 22, 2011 at 8:58 pm |
  10. Janis

There is alot of things that are against a person's rights done in the name of religion. Where do rights of the individual start and freedom of religion end? These are children that need an advocate outside their religion. Sad.

September 22, 2011 at 8:42 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

That's a good question Janis.

However, my guess is that children don't have the rights that the adults do. Very wrong indeed.

I agree with your suggestions for an advocate. Maybe states could pass a law that "advocates" must be allowed in each classroom of a school that uses corporeal punishment.

September 22, 2011 at 8:47 pm |
  11. Lori - CA

It hurts to hear these stories.

September 22, 2011 at 8:40 pm |
  12. vic , nashville ,tn

Send all the kids who is participating in bullying to that church that may real help to society

September 22, 2011 at 8:40 pm |
  13. Starr, formerly know as vincent

I was put into a special school because i would not allow my 1st grade teacher "paddle" me with a wooden instrument. It was not even a religious school.
    It was socially accepted in TN in the mid-50's in all public school.
    Using a foreign object to hit a child is WRong. Doing it for so-called Religious reasons in this day and age is also Wrong! And, it was Wrong in the past.
    Pulling down pants is true humiliation of the worst kind! It can do terrible damage to a young child.
    Another great piece by Gary T.

September 22, 2011 at 8:38 pm |
    • vic , nashville ,tn

Good points

September 22, 2011 at 8:44 pm |
  14. lisal -canada

This is not really related to these teachings, but there are so many cases in canada of native american students (children) who were subjected to excessive discipline when merged into "society" – cases are still being settled many years later

September 22, 2011 at 8:38 pm |
  15. Cathy

There are too many perverts among all religious faiths.

September 22, 2011 at 8:38 pm |
  16. Lori - CA

Public spanking in front of the class would be humiliating.

September 22, 2011 at 8:37 pm |
  17. Sharon Hastings

This is not your usual Baptist Church group. What people will do in the name of "fundamentalism" is unbelievable. It sounds like these students were out and out abused and not given "3 swats that sting but not hurt".

September 22, 2011 at 8:37 pm |
  18. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Isha and Anderson!
    I love this shot 2 cats are my favorites and I am also fan of Star Trek I have seen movies many times!!!!!! It is so cute video on YouTube!!!!!

September 22, 2011 at 8:32 pm |
  19. Janis

Darth Vaawder, daawling. Isha and Anderson are so cute together. Luv it.

September 22, 2011 at 8:32 pm |
  20. Paula, Colorado

Cute Shot tonight!

September 22, 2011 at 8:32 pm |
  21. Starr, formerly know as vincent

The Shot was adorable. However, i can't imagine how they filmed it with the two kittens & flying machines.

The "force" was definitely with the kitty & the film maker!

September 22, 2011 at 8:31 pm |
  22. lisal -canada

ewwww – that yellow powder looks so sinister – like dry mustard – I'll never look at deviled eggs again the same way!!

September 22, 2011 at 8:29 pm |
  23. Lori - CA

Chicken little......

September 22, 2011 at 8:29 pm |
  24. Lori - CA

I saw that UN rant today.......hard to believe my ears

September 22, 2011 at 8:28 pm |
  25. Janis

I think if I were Sea World, I wouldn't allow the trainers to have pony tails or anything that swings on their outfits while feeding or interacting with the whales. I don't think any creature of this intelligence should be in captivity.

September 22, 2011 at 8:28 pm |
  26. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

After a while, all animal will go back to what comes natural!

September 22, 2011 at 8:28 pm |
  27. Starr, formerly know as vincent

Orcas are smart and should Not be confined to tiny little swimming pools.

Let Tilicum go, back into the wild. I am Certain, we humans and even Sea World can find some other kind of "entertainment".

September 22, 2011 at 8:28 pm |
    • Janis

Sadly, Tillicum probably wouldn't survive in the wild. Retirement home for whales?

September 22, 2011 at 8:40 pm |
  28. lisal -canada

the trainer's wet ponytail kind of looks like the fish they feed the whales – do you suppose the whale thought something totally weird ... like she got the fish from her head? i know it sounds strange, but they are constantly tossing fish at the whales from somewhere – could he have repeatedly rammed her trying to knock fish out of her?? (we know a lot about whales but not so much how they parse visual images and thought processes)

September 22, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
    • Cathy

I think that's a possibility or even possibly the whale thought the pony tail was a fish since it was moving around.

September 22, 2011 at 8:29 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Sounds like a logical explanation lisal.

Still, Tillicum had killed before. He should have been released then, & defintely now. I'm pretty sure he could find his pod.

September 22, 2011 at 8:34 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good point there also, Lisa...... I agree!! It is so scary thought my mind!

September 22, 2011 at 8:38 pm |
  29. vic , nashville ,tn

Today market
    S and P nearly 5 gain all others lost
    Dow almost very share lost their values
    Today result absolutely investor’s confidence
    Washington never gets this
    Investors really wants government to invest I don’t know why all wealthy nation holding back
    May be second recession ahead

September 22, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
    • Cathy

Much of it has to do with Europe. Also Fed Ex suggested they were worried about Asia. The global economy is shaky right now and it doesn't take much to trigger a sell-off.

September 22, 2011 at 8:28 pm |
      • vic , nashville ,tn

You are right
        Projected GDP growth 2012 China 9 % India 7.5 % US 1.5% Euro 1,1 %
        Because Euro and US are making spending cut may hurt Asia
        Now Global economy depend on our action so we have to act like adult

September 22, 2011 at 8:36 pm |
  30. Janis

Hello everyone.

Bad news for Wall Street today. The markets are super sensitive to polarizing politics thats for sure.

September 22, 2011 at 8:23 pm |
  31. Mallory

I grew up in Chesterton where the Fairhaven church is. I grew up with Fairhaven buses driving threw our neighborhoods picking up children and families to take them to "church". These people are brain washed. I work with people who have gotten out of the church and once they do they are shunned, and shunned by their own families who are still involved in the church. We the public are scared of these people. People are known to disappear. They are not allow to play with children from the public. They eat, sleep, and breathe the church. We the people of Chesterton and surrondings are disturbed ad scared of how ritchous they are and can get. My mother went there one time as a kid and they were letting the older children and adults shoot televisions and records "because they are the devil".

September 22, 2011 at 8:23 pm |
    • Sharon Hastings

Sounds more like a brutal cult than a church.

September 22, 2011 at 8:42 pm |
      • Cathy

Agree.

September 22, 2011 at 8:51 pm |
      • Starr, formerly know as vincent

I agree Sharon.

September 22, 2011 at 8:51 pm |
  32. Matthew

Hello Everyone! Good evening. Anyone watching tonight's episode of "Ungodly Discipline"? I grew up at Fairhaven from 7-13yrs of age (1991- 1997), and was present for the Mexico incident that is mentioned.

September 22, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
  33. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Games people play; games politicians play! Stop playing game with our life and money!

September 22, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
  34. Lori - CA

I want to be hopeful for better times ahead, but it seems that this nonsense will keep going until we all have nothing left

September 22, 2011 at 8:20 pm |
  35. Jordan Mamrak

Anderson, there is one thing i need to express, that congress needs to get their head's out of their butts and get something productive done, what do we pay them for? Over $165,000 per year, to get nothing done. They put their big corporate agendas first, instead of the needs and the welfare of the American people. This is a big game, and it's the average American that is paying the price. I think past Congressional leaders from 100 years ago would be disgusted with the way Congress works.

September 22, 2011 at 8:19 pm |
  36. Starr, formerly know as vincent

Not "playing politics" with FEMA, my (you know what)!

Sharon, i feel helpless too. The only thing i know to do is write, call. I'm too old to "march on WA".

These "crisis" are totally self made by the politicians! I don't recall a time that i have felt such depression and loss of hope for our country.

Congress & the President need to watch Fareed Zakaria's special Returning the American Dream. Tons of ideas that would Work!

September 22, 2011 at 8:19 pm |
    • Sharon Hastings

I have written and called too but I'm not sure it does any good. But I'll try again tomorrow.

September 22, 2011 at 8:45 pm |
  37. vic , nashville ,tn

For political reason Gambling disasters funds so sad

September 22, 2011 at 8:18 pm |
  38. Lori - CA

Double dip? Did the first recession ever end?

September 22, 2011 at 8:16 pm |
  39. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

That's good poll, Disapprove of 80 percent feel me better than before!!!!!! I don't want hear from John Boenher anymore, I am so tired of his handling problem!

September 22, 2011 at 8:15 pm |
  40. Starr, formerly know as vincent

Evening Anderson & Team 360.

Hello blogger friends!

I can't believe the House is at it again – another threatened gov. shutdown?! I've had it! If the Rep's & Dem's don't realize how much trouble the country really IS in, God help us. They apparently feel that they can continue to play "games" with the American people – no more. If i have to write Everyday to my guys, the Speaker, Cantor, the President, i will do so.

September 22, 2011 at 8:12 pm |
    • Sharon Hastings

So true Starr and they're wearing me out. Americans are going to give up completely on them and just tune out. Seems like it will take the ballot box to convince them that we've had it with them.

September 22, 2011 at 8:14 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Starr,
      I agree with you..... I hate that government will not shutdown by republican congress!!!!!! I think You are so absolutely right, We need contact all republican congress as well!!!!

September 22, 2011 at 8:18 pm |
      • Cathy

It's not just the Republicans; Democrats are listening to their caucuses as well.

September 22, 2011 at 8:20 pm |
        • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Agreed. I listed both parties in my comment. Each party obviously has it's own agenda – Not an agenda for the people however.

September 22, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
          • Cathy

Right, just campaigning.

September 22, 2011 at 8:31 pm |
  41. Paula, Colorado

Time flies. It seems just yesterday the government was about to shut down.

September 22, 2011 at 8:11 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

As seriously as i feel about the present situation, i must say your post made me Smile – Thank You.

September 22, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
  42. vic , nashville ,tn

All the latest reports pointing the fingers on Washington gridlock

September 22, 2011 at 8:11 pm |
  43. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooooo everyone and Anderson!!!!
    Thanks for coming in for join us tonight! 😀
    Happy Thursday night!!!
    Oh no!!!!!!!!!! Yikes!!!!!!!!! Wow!!! Dow plunges and I am afraid, we are going bankrupt! 🙁

September 22, 2011 at 8:07 pm |
  44. Sharon Hastings

David Gergen said the magic phrase "deterioration of our politics". Oh so right. The whole world fears what is happening here in the U.S. The parties have been polarized ever since Barack Obama became president. Hmmmm?

September 22, 2011 at 8:05 pm |
  45. vic , nashville ,tn

Good evening every one

Few shares gain almost all the shares lost value today high volume sale today

Don’t blame the president message this week read latest IMF report

September 22, 2011 at 8:05 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I agree, Vic!!!!!!

September 22, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
  46. lisal -canada

looking forward to outfront – have found erin's commentaries and contributions to the conversations over the past several weeks quite interesting and insightful

September 22, 2011 at 8:04 pm |
  47. Lori - CA

Hi Anderson. Hi Everyone. Good evening.

September 22, 2011 at 8:03 pm |
  48. Sharon Hastings

Good evening everyone. Ugh, Wallstreet had a terrible day. Every time there is a wild downturn everyone gets more and more worried. Then it comes back. It's a real roller coaster. Now people are crying global recession. It's a pretty helpless feeling because the average person can't do a thing about it.

September 22, 2011 at 8:03 pm |
  49. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! It's great to see you on. Sounds like an interesting program tonight.

September 22, 2011 at 8:00 pm |
  50. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone! Greetings!

September 22, 2011 at 8:00 pm |