Troy Davis: Join the Live Chat
September 21st, 2011

Troy Davis: Join the Live Chat

Troy Davis was set to be executed on Wednesday at 7p for the 1989 murder of police officer Mark MacPhail. Supporters of Davis say he was wrongly convicted. Macphail’s mother maintains Davis’ guilt. We’ll hear from her tonight. Weigh in below...

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Nina

Obama reminds me of Clinton. Having so many high hopes and thinking when they become president, all the changes they will make only to realize it is so much more complex once in office. I truly believe that Obama wants the best for this country; hence, his frustration.

September 21, 2011 at 8:38 pm |
  2. vic , nashville ,tn

I am happy Obama is not giving empty promises to Israelis like Rick Perry

September 21, 2011 at 8:38 pm |
  3. Saray

We as a country have to give full support to Israel. But they have to come down a bit and work with other people as well. We are arguing with 6 different contries because of them. We are about to lose Turkey as very big friend because of these issues. Something has got to give.

September 21, 2011 at 8:37 pm |
  4. Starr, formerly know as vincent

The Israeli & Palestian conflict Must be solved! NOT speaking to each other does Not bring peace.

There Has to be a pathway. They came close a number of times, however it was the Palestinians refused any agreements.

Just think of how different things would be in the Mid-East if there was peace between Israel & Palestine.

September 21, 2011 at 8:36 pm |
  5. Darla

The system is broken!! The death penalty is given to make the victims family feel better. The man that killed my mother and "thought" he killed my sister ...16 years ago is still alive and well even after he admitted to killing her. AND he has also been found guilty of killing another woman (DNA) since then!! I can not express in words what this broken justice system does to the family's involved. We are the good people we just want sentence to be fullfilled.

September 21, 2011 at 8:36 pm |
  6. Sheryl

They executed the guy who draged james byrd to his death at 7:21pm today. I wonder if that will be a factor in the troy davis case .

September 21, 2011 at 8:35 pm |
    • Cathy

Didn't they have sound proof of that murder?

September 21, 2011 at 8:38 pm |
  7. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I love our president Obama's speech so awesome this morning!!!! He touched my heart!

September 21, 2011 at 8:35 pm |
    • Janis

He is such an inspirational speaker. I really liked it too.

September 21, 2011 at 8:48 pm |
  8. Sharon Hastings

I have doubts that Israel and the Palestinians can reach an agreement any time soon. The President had high hopes for peace in the region and it's too bad an agreement can't be reached.

September 21, 2011 at 8:35 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

I'm certain that there is a way to come to an agreement. Perhaps recognizing Palestine as a state will push things forward.
      Both economies, especially for the Palestinians who are so impoverished right now.
      The area is a home for 3 Major religions and almost everyone of each religion would love to go there. However, fear of violence keeps many away.

September 21, 2011 at 8:42 pm |
  9. Gretchen

Anderson yester day when you showed the video of that child that killed himself behind being bullied I just broke down.I'm so tired of this happening,why arent these children being protected from the bullies and why don't people raise their children not to bully this tragedy has to stop,it's just to much.My brother was gay and he died of aids,I remember how he was bullied and teased but he was tuff and he fought back,but I just wonder what his life could have been if he had not had to go through so much suffering at a young age,He would have been so happy.So through my tears I pray for all the innocent children who happened to be born gay,if you read this know that you are loved and life is worth living.

September 21, 2011 at 8:34 pm |
    • Sharon Hastings

I'm so sorry about your brother. All these stories are so tragic and they don't have to happen. Ignorance, anger, and judgment. What happened to love and tolerance.

September 21, 2011 at 8:37 pm |
  10. Janis

I hope the Israelis and the Palestinians can resolve their differences. The Arab world needs to stop threatening Israel and keeping them on the defensive. I've heard so much of it from good people fighting for democracy and in the same breath they threaten Israel. I don't think peace will work until a new perspecitive is adopted by the Arab world.

September 21, 2011 at 8:34 pm |
  11. Saray

Nobody is saying killing a person is not horrible thing. But I think sending someone to max security prison for life is punishment enough. I' ve read that 70% of victims families are opposed to death penalty.

September 21, 2011 at 8:30 pm |
    • Tim

Is it true that Davis shot someone else that night as the mother stated, and the shell casings matched? Seems pretty damning and I don't hear Toobin or Anderson mentioning it..

September 21, 2011 at 8:33 pm |
      • Cathy

I have not heard that said once over the past week.

September 21, 2011 at 8:37 pm |
      • Janis

Even if he did do it, is capital punishment the answer? I'm really doubting that now.

September 21, 2011 at 8:38 pm |
      • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Not true at all..... You might confusing what they were talking about gun matchn but I think there is no DNA or motive who shot police officer as well.

September 21, 2011 at 8:39 pm |
  12. vic , nashville ,tn

Many countries have death sentence but they don’t execute recently the person who execute the death sentence from Sri Lanka told BBC that he is happy he didn’t execute single sentence his 26 years in service in future he don’t want execute any one because he also human he has feeling for others

September 21, 2011 at 8:29 pm |
  13. lisal -canada

I'd love to say the sirens were exciting, but it is just so tragic

September 21, 2011 at 8:29 pm |
  14. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I thinking had the police officers did some real TV detective work, they just might had caught the real killer!

September 21, 2011 at 8:27 pm |
  15. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I can believe Troy Davis didn't do it!!!! He is innocent person I know!

September 21, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
  16. Gretchen

Anderson if there is any doubt about the killing of the officer,they should at least spare his life until they have the evidence,.Justice can't mean any man will do.Also most would run even if innocent if there was a shoot to kill order.It's just so much pain all around. but the truth should be most important not what the family feels.

September 21, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
  17. Harun

Will someone PLEASE ask Mrs. MacPhail how she would feel if it turns out Troy Davis was innocent? Remember, Texas executed Cameron Todd Willingham in 2004, who was found to be innocent via forensic evidence THIS YEAR!

There is doubt! There is doubt! There is doubt! No physical evidence – just two sets of matching shell casings and the nearest fellow, intimidated witnesses and a prosecutor who can sell peach pies to a peach farmer.

September 21, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
  18. Starr, formerly know as vincent

The murder of a police person is a very serious crime & Should be considered serious.

However, in some cases fellow police can get heavy-handed trying to find the killer. There are several documented cases of this.

In one sense you can't blame them as they have lost a fellow officer. On the other hand, you hope that they arrest the right person.

I'm afraid the police cars are an indication that the judgement is in and it is against Mr. Davis. The police may be concerned there will be trouble with the demonstrators.

September 21, 2011 at 8:25 pm |
    • Cathy

That is the first thing I thought when I saw the police cars.

September 21, 2011 at 8:35 pm |
  19. vic , nashville ,tn

Will supreme court watch Gary Tuchman report

September 21, 2011 at 8:25 pm |
  20. Gary

I think after 20 years that our justice System has dropped the Ball. i believe he was rightly convicted and the family was there the whole way. This man is scheduled to be executed to pay for his crime, and now as the time draws near he does not want to die, he will say and do anything not to die. What about his victim did he have a choice before Troy, who was convicted by a Jury of his peers and was denied twice due the lack of evidence. His time has come and give the family the closure it deserves! Rest in Peace Mark MacPhail

September 21, 2011 at 8:25 pm |
    • Cathy

What about all those on death row who have been exonerated as the result of DNA testing; what about those some years later were found not guilty after they were executed. Would life be so bad?

September 21, 2011 at 8:28 pm |
      • Gary

Cathy He was convicted by a Jury of his peers and had his chance twice to prove his innocence and provide the Evidence and this is not a DNA Case, He did not prove his innocence and was not given a stay there fore he needs to accept his sentence and haven't all prisoners stated their innocence and we need to retry them all

September 21, 2011 at 8:37 pm |
        • Cathy

What you are saying is that he is guilty until proven innocent.

September 21, 2011 at 8:41 pm |
    • Khalilah

comment was made that Troy will say or do anything to avoid being put to death, he is not responsible for the witnesses coming forward recanting their statement. He is not making those individuals say that they were coerced into pointing the finger at him during the trial. Those people are admitting that they were not honest about their knowledge of the incident! He has nothing to do with that!!! He is asking for justice to be served, plain and simple! It will be unjust to put an innocent man to death for a crime he did not commit. It has been proven in the past that the justice system has failed and put innocent men to death! The system has flaws and to take a mans life because you were wrong, you made a mistake, you can't say "oops! My bad" and undo what was done!

September 21, 2011 at 8:43 pm |
  21. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I knew it!!!!! Juries made lot mistake!!!!! There is no DNA or motive!!!!! I hope they learned their lesson says figure it out who's right killer than Troy Davis!

September 21, 2011 at 8:25 pm |
    • Lisa in GA

This is not finished. He's has a reprieve. Anything could happen from now to 7 days. I hope the Sup. Ct. stays his execution -or pardons(?can they?) Troy.

‎"One of the two witnesses who has not recanted his testimony is Sylvester "Red" Coles — the principle alternative suspect, according to the defense, against whom there is new evidence implicating him as the gunman. Nine individuals have signed affidavits implicating Sylvester Coles."

September 21, 2011 at 8:39 pm |
      • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Thanks Lisa.. for info!

September 21, 2011 at 8:52 pm |
  22. Janis

Intimidation by police vehicle. That's pretty strange.

September 21, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
    • Cathy

Right, and to think some don't think potential witnesses could be intimidated by the police.

September 21, 2011 at 8:25 pm |
  23. Keokah

I don't know if Troy Davis is guilty or not but the death penalty is not the answer. The death penalty doesn't solve our problems. The victims mother said that it was Troys choice to kill. So whose choice is it to kill Troy? Two wrongs don't make a right. I certainly have sympathy for the Mac hail family. But as the mother stated there is nothing to gain from killing someone.

September 21, 2011 at 8:23 pm |
  24. Janis

Police pressured the witnesses, were they all afraid because an officer had been shot? Was it a neighborhood that felt intimidated by the local police in the past?

September 21, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
  25. Paula, Colorado

It's difficult to know what happened when the witnesses change their story over time. I do hope for justice and peace for the family of the slain officer.

September 21, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
  26. Jeff

This case is especially troubling because it has been reported that at least one of the witnesses who has recanted said that they were pressured into saying that Mr. Davis committed the crime.

September 21, 2011 at 8:20 pm |
  27. Janis

Re: Toobin – the length of the delay between conviction and execution is a form of torture and inhumane for all. Who determines whether or not the States have humanitarian problems with their separate laws concerning capital punishment?

September 21, 2011 at 8:19 pm |
  28. Cathy

One would think the debate is between death or letting him walk free.

September 21, 2011 at 8:18 pm |
  29. Saray

My opinion only but capital punishment is dumbest law ever. If for every 1000 guilty there is one innocent it is not worth making that mistake.

September 21, 2011 at 8:17 pm |
  30. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I wish the deceased office mother much peace!

September 21, 2011 at 8:15 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

I surely do too Gloria. But not at the price of a man's life if he is innocent.

She may not get the peace she thinks with his death – other victims' families have found it didn't help them.

September 21, 2011 at 8:20 pm |
  31. Starr, formerly know as vincent

I tried to email the Gov. of GA, the Pardons Board, to call both and could not connect.

It was as if the whole State Gov. was "closed" to hearing Any othe plea on Mr. Davis' behalf.

I could not live with myself if i did not try to partcipate in trying to get a stay of execution when there is a possibility of innocence.

I saw an interview with a woman who witnessed another man admitting he was the killer. But, since he had children, he could not turn himself in and go to jail!

September 21, 2011 at 8:15 pm |
    • Sharon Hastings

Yes Starr. He could well be guilty. There is other evidence against him but I would rather free a guilty person than execute an innocent one. Let's find out more about the witnesses that recanted.

September 21, 2011 at 8:19 pm |
      • Cathy

What's sad is that they don't have to free him; just leave him to life while they revisit the case. All these officers make me think the Supreme Court has denied the request.

September 21, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I think you're right about that!!!!! Good idea to connect them as quickly!

September 21, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
  32. Rita

Hopefully justice will prevail. I just hope the media will report fairly.

September 21, 2011 at 8:14 pm |
  33. Lori - CA

This story makes me queezy

September 21, 2011 at 8:14 pm |
  34. michelle-anne

I don't think 7of9 people would waste time recanting their statements for no reason if they didn't feel guilty that a potentially innocent man is on his way to be killed.

September 21, 2011 at 8:13 pm |
  35. Darrin Tisdale

The time frame is irrelevant...if there are doubts, then you cannot execute. Always err on the side of doubt. Only closed minded people disregard new evidence.

September 21, 2011 at 8:12 pm |
  36. vic , nashville ,tn

Jeffery Toobin comments are best

September 21, 2011 at 8:11 pm |
  37. vic , nashville ,tn

Good evening every one

September 21, 2011 at 8:10 pm |
  38. Janis

If there is a minor chance that the person to be executed could be innocent, there should be no execution.

September 21, 2011 at 8:10 pm |
    • Darrin Tisdale

Absolutely. Err on the side of caution, always. What if the situation were reversed? Can the victims' mom peace _only_ come with blood?

September 21, 2011 at 8:14 pm |
  39. Robert

What people don't realize is that witnesses do occasionally recant, if you were on the law enforcement side you would understand that witnesses recant because they are sometimes threatened or paid off. Just remember people 9 witnesses helped convict this animal.

September 21, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

And 7 recanted.

September 21, 2011 at 8:11 pm |
    • Cathy

I don't believe 7 would recant because they were paid or threatened.

September 21, 2011 at 8:12 pm |
      • Isabella

Money buys anything if there is enough of it..... they were not threatened by Police. 17 years LATER they recant.... get real.... the love of money is the root of all evil. ...

September 21, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
        • Cathy

I don't believe 7 people would be paid and never found out. I think executing someone without definitive evidence is a great root of all evil.

September 21, 2011 at 8:31 pm |
    • Darrin Tisdale

Regardless, you must always err on the side of caution. You cannot resurrect someone who was not guilty.

September 21, 2011 at 8:15 pm |
  40. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooooo everyone and Anderson!!!!
    Thanks for coming in for join us tonight! 😀
    Bloggers,
    Troy Davis wrong conviction who was shot police officer in 1989..... Right now they are holding execution not stay just delay, Troy is not linked a crime any DNA, it was witness made many mistake who saw wrong man.

September 21, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
  41. Sheryl

How can you execute a man with no physical evidence no recovered weapon and 7 people that recanted their testimony?

September 21, 2011 at 8:05 pm |
  42. Lori - CA

Hi Anderson. Good evening. Hi Everyone!

September 21, 2011 at 8:04 pm |
  43. Starr, formerly know as vincent

Evening Anderson & Team 360.

Hello blogger friends!

I am so nervous right now, waiting for a decision on Troy Davis' case. Although i would support the death penalty in cases such as the ongoing "home invasion" case, i do not support the death penalty where there is Any chance the condemned person is innocent.

The Innocence Project has shown time and time again, that many people on death row are innocent (or in prison)!

September 21, 2011 at 8:04 pm |
  44. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Executing Troy Davis, just does set right with me!

September 21, 2011 at 8:03 pm |
    • Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

It dose not set right with me!

September 21, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
  45. Janis

Hello everyone.

I've been following the Troy Davis event on Twitter. I think that all of this is inhumane for the prisoner. What kind of capital punishment do we have in the US? This is cruel – beg for your life over and over. "We'll think about it...".

September 21, 2011 at 8:03 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Agreed Janis. This is cruel and inhumane punishment, having him wait while strapped to a gurney.

It would appear that there is enough "reasonable doubt" to stay this execution and either pardon or grant a new trial.

September 21, 2011 at 8:07 pm |
  46. Sharon Hastings

Good evening everyone. The Troy Davis case is very confusing. Those that charged and tried him are very sure he is the killer and of course many do not. Any doubts should be handled by at least reviewing all these witnesses who have recanted their testimony. Why did they?? They should hold and wait for the Supreme Court.

September 21, 2011 at 8:03 pm |
  47. Nina

Good Evening everyone

I am still agasp from false eye-witness testimony and Georgia still wants to execute this man. I wonder if his race has anything to do with this?

September 21, 2011 at 8:02 pm |
    • Cathy

Many think yes. A psychologist at the trial said black people were more likely to commit crimes. Capital punishment is a disgrace.

September 21, 2011 at 8:06 pm |
      • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Wow, i can't imagine a psychologist saying that!

The present prosecutor apparently said if Davis was tried today, he would not ask for the death penalty.

September 21, 2011 at 8:09 pm |
      • Nina

I cannot believe any psychologist that has any ethics and professionalism would say something like that. I am now agasp at the psychologist and would like to see that investigated. As there is absolutely no proof from his/her statement. I am surprised that was not questioned and needing numerous studies to back up that statement; which, would never happen. Makes me wonder about the trial.

September 21, 2011 at 8:49 pm |
        • Cathy

Today that would never fly. Twenty years ago there, it obviously did. Sad and that alone should constitute a mistrial.

September 21, 2011 at 8:55 pm |
  48. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"God Bless Them!"

September 21, 2011 at 8:00 pm |
  49. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! it's great to see you on.
    Glad to see there is a delay in the execution.

September 21, 2011 at 8:00 pm |
    • Nina

Agreed Paula

Hopefully the trial will be considered a mistrial due to the false eye-witness testimony

September 21, 2011 at 8:04 pm |
  50. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone! Greetings!

September 21, 2011 at 8:00 pm |