September 21st, 2011

Keeping Them Honest: Stop bullying

Editor's Note: CNN's Anderson Cooper revisits the story of Jamey Rodemeyer, a 14-year-old who committed suicide after years of taunting.

Filed under: Keeping Them Honest
  1. Dave

God Bless this Family, you are all in my thoughts and prayers as i have 4 children 8,6,4,2 and I take this topic VERY Seriously. I Do Not feel our schools are doing enough to care for our kids while they spend most of their days in your supervision. The long term Solution however i believe starts in 1st grade and continues all the way through high school with instituting basic forms of psychology as a mandatory class just like math or science. Kids have an extremely difficult time all through their life dealing with their feelings in a positive/healthy way. This gets to the root of why Bullies act the way they do, after all Kids are not born bad it's something they are learning and reacting too because of the way they feel inside. They lash out in unhealthy and destructive ways. This new level of education also allows kids to learn how to deal with the confusion and insecurities they feel inside so they are not easily affected by bullies. They feel more confident about the beautiful children they are, they understand how to take these feelings and become strong young adults. Soon our children will see bullies for who they are, confused and fragile kids who are struggling with self image issues. The bullied kids will no longer feel helpless, they will be empowered and confident and know how to put bullies in their place and so will their friends and peers. Bulling will no longer be supported by other kids it will become a clear sign of weakness and inappropriate behavior. TEACH OUR KIDS starting in first grade, Don't let the media glorify the short term solutions instead force this issue so we permanently fix the problem and empower our children for their entire lives. Lets honor Jamey with a permanent solution.

September 21, 2011 at 9:50 pm |
  2. miriam gomez

My deepest condolences to the family, I am so sorry that a wonderful life is lost like this. Bulling is a big problem for all kids including mine which is not gay but hiperactive with ADD. I had moments of horror with this situation and took the matters into my own hand, I put my child into Homeschooling, its been 3 years and he loves it , sees he's real friends at the movies and summer camp but it is not subject to any of that anymore, Now he's 15 and in 10th grADE AND VERY HAPPY. I thank GOD every day for that decision.

September 21, 2011 at 8:54 pm |
  3. Marc Daniels

The key to addressing the bullying problem is to recognize this for what it is....a manifestation of HATE. We can preach anti-bullying ethics until we are blue in the face, but unless we root the pedagogy deep in our cultural heritage, our kindergardening culture if you will, these ethics and morals will blow away just like tumbleweeds in the wind. We need to weed out this kind of HATE by teaching our children to associate weeding out a garden with the desire to root out our inner weeds. Hate is symbolized in so many ways... Why not symbolize its antithesis? The extraction of a weed and the germination and blooming sunflower seed are two visuals that any child can understand. Perhaps then, children will grow up to respect the disadvantaged, handicapped, as GIANTS and their hateful instincts as limitations that dwarf their own growth.

September 21, 2011 at 8:51 pm |
  4. Eleanor Bode

I understand why kids need to seek counseling for bullying, but that seems to be all I hear. Why aren't the bullies being brought forward for some counseling, discipline, and/or suspenson? Why does it have to become the problem of the person being bullied, leading to such action as suicide? WHY AREN'T WE FINDING OUT WHAT MAKES THESE BULLIES?

September 21, 2011 at 8:48 pm |
  5. Tim Gibson

I can understand the concern. Yet, as I have said before, being bullied is nothing new. I think I was bullied as much as anyone as a gay child growing up in the southwest, 1960's – 70's. What is worth looking into deeper is why it has become the "norm" (for lack of a better word) that children feel killing themselves is the answer. True I may have wished I had never been born, but the idea of killing myself did not cross my mind during my school years of being bullied.

September 21, 2011 at 6:44 pm |
    • Ashley S. Miller

I am very sorry that you were bullied growing up and I agree that this is not a new concept. However, I think you are failing to acknowledge that bullying has a different face than it did when you were growing up in the 1960 and 1970s. There are now many ways to bully an individual via the Internet and social networking sites that did not exist thirty or forty years ago. Tonight, Jamey's parents were on AC360 and they stated that while he was obviously not in school over the summer to be bullied, the bullies reached out to him via Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and other sites. I am glad you didn't think suicide was an option but for a lot of bullied kids it is. This is a horrible problem and it certainly needs much attention. We need a game plan in this country and protocol for dealing with bullying.

September 21, 2011 at 8:58 pm |