The Jobs Push: Keeping Them Honest – Join the Live Chat
September 6th, 2011

The Jobs Push: Keeping Them Honest – Join the Live Chat

Tonight we're keeping the presidential candidates honest on their claims that they know how to create jobs. President Obama unveils a job creation plan on Thursday, in a speech to Congress. But GOP Presidential Candidate Mitt Romney laid out his competing plan, late today. We'll look at Romney's record on jobs creation. Plus, a gay teenager shot to death in his classroom. Police say a classmate pulled the trigger. There were plenty of witnesses. So why was their a mistrial? That's crime and punishment. And, a pizza fight involving Kate Plus 8 tops our RidicuList.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Sharon Hastings

Is there no end to the hate and violence that humans will do to each other?? Most kids learn this hate from their parents.

September 6, 2011 at 8:53 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Apparently not Sharon. And, you are so right about Parents!

September 6, 2011 at 9:00 pm |
  2. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    We will not forget since 10 years now....... We never forgotten all people died in the world..... I will watch forward 9/11 on Sunday morning!!!!! My heart is so breaking now!!!!!!

September 6, 2011 at 8:53 pm |
  3. Heather - Spokane, WA

In the words of Steve Irwin, 'Crikey, that is a big naughty boy!'

September 6, 2011 at 8:53 pm |
  4. Starr, formerly know as vincent

I was Astonished by the Dick Cheney interview with Wolf!!

Of course, i shouldn't be, given the remarks he made throughout his tenure as Vice President!

Oh, and let's not forget he outed (allegedly) an active CIA agent!

September 6, 2011 at 8:52 pm |
  5. Janis

Believe it or not, there are some areas where parents condone kids taking guns to school regardless of school rules. Big NRA types. Dispalys of rifles in back windows, etc. They don't like the rules infringing on their right to bear arms.

September 6, 2011 at 8:51 pm |
  6. Heather - Spokane, WA

There are over a million stories out there about where people were and what they were doing on 9/11

September 6, 2011 at 8:50 pm |
  7. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

He did not want to be consider someone he is not; unfortunately, he went about it the wrong way!

September 6, 2011 at 8:45 pm |
  8. Heather - Spokane, WA

Just because a kid like Larry was acting out is not an excuse for another student to kill him!

September 6, 2011 at 8:42 pm |
  9. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

It involves a lethal weapon in the school, too!

September 6, 2011 at 8:40 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

A very excellent point Gloria!

September 6, 2011 at 8:48 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

YES!!!!!! That's good point, Gloria!!!!!!

September 6, 2011 at 8:54 pm |
  10. niwat kurusattra, chicago

Hi Anderson cooper and AC360 crews,
    I feel that my reception of this hate-crime gay-bullies crime starts to get desensitized. I mean, i hope this criminal behavioral outburst doesn't get to be a norm in american high school system. how did the security let the killer carry a gun in school?

September 6, 2011 at 8:40 pm |
    • Heather - Spokane, WA

Not all schools have security

September 6, 2011 at 8:43 pm |

Niwat,
      They didn't know it was gun there also... That is reason securities fail see someone goes through without their knowledge as well........

September 6, 2011 at 8:47 pm |
  11. BettyAnn,TX

I am going to take off out of this smoke. Thank you everyone for the well wishes and prayers for Texas. God bless you friends~

September 6, 2011 at 8:39 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Our 9me & family) thoughts & prayers are with you, your family and the pets! Get in touch when you can so we all know you are all okay. Best of luck BettyAnn!

September 6, 2011 at 8:43 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Take care youselves!!!!!! Please keep safe for us, Betty!!!!!!

September 6, 2011 at 8:49 pm |
    • Janis

Get the whole family, dogs and cats to clean fresh air for awhile. You'll feel so much better. Stay safe and we'll wait to hear from you soon BettyAnn. Good luck.

September 6, 2011 at 8:53 pm |
  12. Heather - Spokane, WA

We have enough hate in the rest of the world, why is it we have to spread more? It's called coexist everyone!

September 6, 2011 at 8:39 pm |
  13. Starr, formerly know as vincent

Even though Larry's behavior may have been "too much" for Brandon, it gives him No Right to Kill Larry!

This young man needs to be tried and punished for outright murder! No excuses!

September 6, 2011 at 8:38 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

I agree with Dr. Drew, surprise & disappointment, in my opinion, is an Understatement.

"Acting out" is Still not an excuse for murder!!

September 6, 2011 at 8:41 pm |
  14. Sharon Hastings

This is one of the worst stories I have heard about bullying and abuse to gays. No matter who said what to who, it was murder.

September 6, 2011 at 8:38 pm |
  15. BettyAnn,TX

When are we going to learn we are born the way we are? This story about Larry is sick. Just lost a friend to suicide because he was gay last week. We need to love others. Not hate.

September 6, 2011 at 8:37 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good point there, Betty!!!!!!!! That was so horrible shock I have heard right now....... That is unacceptable against bully students who teased Larry King so much...... My heart breaking so bad his mom and family as well.

September 6, 2011 at 8:43 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Well said BettyAnn. Respect for each other, no matter the differences is of utmost importantce.

I don't understand hate of others because they are "different".

I too, lost a close friend years ago who was gay.

September 6, 2011 at 8:46 pm |
  16. Janis

I just wanted to blog about how I feel about Obama 'giving in' to the GOP in some trivial things. I know he want's to be sure that we are focused on the national problems as a cohesive group but the GOP is going to use it as a weakness. He needs to stand firm on all things. We all know taxes need to be raised on the wealthy – he needs to be tough and stay tough. The economy will be bad during the election for sure. Be strong and hold to your convictions, Mr. President. Don't let them undermine and make you appear weak.

September 6, 2011 at 8:37 pm |
  17. lisal -canada

I remember hearing about this case. Such an unfair life situation for larry and his family.

September 6, 2011 at 8:37 pm |
  18. Gretchen

So sad,that beautiful; ;little boy slain because he's was different,and now another injustice to add insult to injury.This is Hate personified,it makes you sick.LIVE and LET LIVE I am tired of hate what does it prove what does it solve.

September 6, 2011 at 8:36 pm |
  19. Heather - Spokane, WA

What is so hard for 8 people in a jury to say a person is guilty of killing someone else when there is more than enough evidence to convict them especially if there is a confession?!

September 6, 2011 at 8:36 pm |
  20. Janis

It is interesting the Gadhafi has been evading the NTC for so long. Somebody will give him up soon if the bounty is still on his head. If his son want to stop the violence for the sake of Libya – maybe he should be the one to do it for his country.

September 6, 2011 at 8:29 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

We can only hope & pray that someone is greedy enough to give Gadaffi & his son Saif in ASAP!

September 6, 2011 at 8:35 pm |

Janis,
      That is good point....... We don't know where is he????? The poster will be most wanted against Gadfahi as well.. They will find him right away!!!!!!!

September 6, 2011 at 8:36 pm |
  21. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

All of those material things double back up in folds!

September 6, 2011 at 8:27 pm |
  22. Paula, Colorado

The wildfires are tragic.

September 6, 2011 at 8:27 pm |
  23. Heather - Spokane, WA

It's hard to say which is worse......fire or flood. With both you lose everything and both destroy so much. My prayers to those in Texas

September 6, 2011 at 8:25 pm |
  24. BettyAnn,TX

Texas is huge. I can not believe that so much has burned up ! This is horrific! My town is so smokey I am wondering how much longer I can stay here. I have a family plus 5 cats and 3 dogs. I am getting scared now

September 6, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
    • Janis

So sorry, BettyAnn. it's your home, can you take the animals and go visit someone until it passes – hopefully?

September 6, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
      • BettyAnn,TX

Thanks Janis. I may try to get to Houston tonight. This is alarming! I have to take pets and fam.and personal items. Oh my! So overwhelmed about all those who have lost so much.

September 6, 2011 at 8:29 pm |
    • Heather - Spokane, WA

I'm sure I'm not alone when I say hang in there and stay safe! You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers!

September 6, 2011 at 8:27 pm |
      • BettyAnn,TX

TY Heather! I need a mask!

September 6, 2011 at 8:30 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Hi BettyAnn! I am so glad you joined us tonight.

I am worried about your situation. Do you have family or friends you and your pets can stay with? I pray that there is somewhere you can go!
      If there is Anything i can do to help, please let me know – happy to help (i have 2 cats and 2 dogs so i know the pet situation).

September 6, 2011 at 8:29 pm |
      • BettyAnn,TX

Thanks so much Starr. I have family in Houston. Not easy to take so many animals but we will make it! You are so kind XO

September 6, 2011 at 8:32 pm |
        • Sharon Hastings

Stay safe BettyAnn. Better to err on the side of safety.

September 6, 2011 at 8:35 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hang in there, Betty.........Anderson and I also goes out to you and our prayers & thoughts with you, Also all people too!! 🙁

September 6, 2011 at 8:31 pm |
      • BettyAnn,TX

Thanks Megan! The smoke is making me sick at us sick at our stomach. luv U Megan! We will make it!

September 6, 2011 at 8:33 pm |

Welcome Betty.....
          Just shut the windows in your home protect your lung as well!!!!! Love you, too!!!!!

September 6, 2011 at 8:38 pm |
    • vic , nashville ,tn

Sorry to hear if its close to you leave

September 6, 2011 at 8:34 pm |
  25. Janis

My heart goes out to the people in Texas battling and living with these wildfires. Fires are terrible to put up with in the late days of summer – they linger on so long. Along with property destruction, the terrible air conditions for those people who live downwind from prevailing winds. It's noxious stuff, burning eyes, lungs, feelings of constant irritablity and aggitation from constant smoke inhalation. It makes anxiety worse. Terrible health problems for some.

Luckily, we haven't had these months long wildfires in my area for a couple of years. So sorry for them.

September 6, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
  26. vic , nashville ,tn

Many companies cutting middle man and prompting online marketing why they need more profit tax cut for those companies won’t crate jobs

September 6, 2011 at 8:23 pm |
  27. Sharon Hastings

Good evening everyone. Running late. I'll try to catch up. Prayers for those in Texas affected by the terrible fires.

September 6, 2011 at 8:23 pm |
  28. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Yes, please be safe battling that wildfire!

September 6, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
  29. Starr, formerly know as vincent

So sad to see TX burn. God bless the people who have lost everything.

I hope BettyAnn, TX will join us tonight to let us know that she is okay.

I keep praying for rain for TX!

September 6, 2011 at 8:22 pm |

Starr,
      Betty TX is doing good, I have heard right now they contained all acres burned......... I think she will be okay for now.

September 6, 2011 at 8:28 pm |
    • Heather - Spokane, WA

Time for rain dancing in certain areas!

September 6, 2011 at 8:30 pm |
  30. Gretchen

Thoughts and Prayers goingt out to the people of texas and else where around the country ,who have suffered such great losses.

September 6, 2011 at 8:21 pm |
  31. Paula, Colorado

I'm unclear as to how experience in a former economy is supposed to successfully create jobs in the present–things change.

September 6, 2011 at 8:19 pm |
  32. vic , nashville ,tn

After rescission we invest and invent new things that create jobs it happened in the past it will be in the future
    Tax cut no

September 6, 2011 at 8:19 pm |
  33. Saray

Tax cuts do not create jobs. If you make rich guy pay more taxes he will work harder (hire people to work for him) in order to make up money he had to pay. It is common sence.

September 6, 2011 at 8:18 pm |
  34. Roger

As I watched Mr. Romneys' job plan today, it's the first for the religious right and the tea baggers to have any workable parts to it because in large part it follows the Pickens Plan on energy. The rest of his plan is same oh! on protecting the rich, big banks, and big money interest groups, which do not create jobs, they only invest in more shipping crates entering our ports. Investing in more shipping crates comming into our ports is totally anti- job creation and leads only to unemployment and under employment.

September 6, 2011 at 8:17 pm |
  35. Gretchen

How many Presidents in our pass was responsible for creating jobs? I suppose the government should at least try since the private sector has out-sourced so many american jobs out of the country.

September 6, 2011 at 8:16 pm |
    • Heather - Spokane, WA

I remember the Clinton years being good. we had a balanced budget, no debt, and not as much unemployment as we have now. i think we should get Clinton back in office, I think he could clean this up!

September 6, 2011 at 8:21 pm |
      • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

You're so absolutely right, Heather, Clinton was best one of our former president....... He does know what he wanted to do help us made create jobs right now. Heather!

September 6, 2011 at 8:25 pm |
  36. Saray

I feel bad for him. I really do. Last time he had no chance. This time he does but country is so divided he has no chance again. Reps will rather nominate another guy to have beer with then someone who could win. I still wouldn't vote for him but I am only one vote.

September 6, 2011 at 8:15 pm |
  37. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Romney can not believe half of the things he say. He's try to get a job!

September 6, 2011 at 8:14 pm |
  38. Gretchen

Thank You Anderson,It's about time somebody told the truth.Also is it possible to report on exactly how many jobs have been created in the private sector because of the Bush tax cuts.They keep saying tax cuts help create jobs,where are they since the tax cuts for the oil and wealthy has been in place for a number of years.Please report on how many and what jobs were actually created because of bush tax cuts,the truth needs to be told and I think Anderson you're the one who will tell it.

September 6, 2011 at 8:13 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yes!!!! You are so absolutely right..... We don't want to be tax cut like that!!!!!! Former Bush made lot of mistake what he had to do his job as well, Gretchen........

September 6, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
  39. Saray

It's easy to give speach in NV. He is braging about job he did in MA but he doesn't even live here anymore. People should wander why?

September 6, 2011 at 8:11 pm |
  40. Stephanie

Granted Romney cost some jobs, layed people off, etc. However, the thing to remember is that at the time, he was hired to make company XYZ profitable. That was his job. I have been in mgmt in small business for a very long time and there are times that in order to keep a company afloat, you need to cut jobs. You don't like to, but it has to be done. If Romney was hired to bring a company into the red and he did it, then he was successful. He did his job. What has Obama done?? ?

September 6, 2011 at 8:11 pm |
  41. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Everybody talks about how they can create jobs. If they could create any jobs, they would have created the jobs by now! Romney can not create jobs.

September 6, 2011 at 8:09 pm |
    • Janis

You're right, Gloria. They would have done it by now. Maybe we need a change of politicians – young politicals. New blood with big creative outside-the-box ideas.

September 6, 2011 at 8:12 pm |
    • Heather - Spokane, WA

I really don't think anyone can at this time unless we start making the 5 or however many percent of those who are among the 'richest' pay their half of the taxes they have not been having to pay for the past 8+ years, of course that is going to be hard because a good amount of them are in congress and threw hissy fits about it when it came up last

September 6, 2011 at 8:13 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yes..... You are so right, Gloria!!!!

September 6, 2011 at 8:16 pm |
  42. Starr, formerly know as vincent

Evening Anderson & Team 360.

Hello blogger friends!

I listened to Romney's speech today. I need some fact checks to see if Anything he said would work well.

September 6, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
  43. Heather - Spokane, WA

Evening Anderson and everyone! Hope you are well. I am really tired of everyone blaming thsi whole mess that our country is in on Obama, it is not his fault we are in this, it is because of the last president we had. Even if Mccain got into office, he would be going through this too and everyone would be blaming him too. We need to point our fingers at the correct person, not who inherited it

September 6, 2011 at 8:07 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Hi Heather, i agree with your opinion that the present situation was created (much of it) by the last Administration & Republican Congress. I would like to see Clarification of the financial issue so Obama is Not blamed for the Whole load!
      However, i believe finger pointing Has to stop and solutions need to be found.
      The problem appears to be that No One in Congress or running for President seems to want to Co-operate with each other for the good of the Nation. And this includes American companies who appear to only want profits, Not the courty that got them started!

September 6, 2011 at 8:13 pm |
      • Heather - Spokane, WA

I agree, they need to stop the finger pointing, in general, and grow up and realize that they are there because they were trusted to do a job for the public, but it's obvious that they are not doing anything for the public because if they were there would be jobs and other things we need and we would not be in the dire situation we are currently in.

September 6, 2011 at 8:18 pm |
        • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Completely agree Heather!

September 6, 2011 at 8:25 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yes! Good point there, Heather!!!!! I agree!

September 6, 2011 at 8:17 pm |
  44. Saray

59 point job plan? Was point #60 outsourcing jobs?

September 6, 2011 at 8:06 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yes, It was.............. Saray.

September 6, 2011 at 8:14 pm |
  45. Janis

Hello everyone. Good to be with all of you again.

From what I just heard about some of the details of Obama's job speech. It sounds like an extention of the economic stimulas plan. I don't think that's enough. He needs to take a look at the jobs taken away by an unfair playing field set up by China. We just can't compete with them in the labor market. Need incentives to keep jobs in USA.

September 6, 2011 at 8:06 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Agree Janis. For example American steel is the Best steel in the world! We need that industry back and there are many others.
      We need to make our own ammo for the wars we are fighting as another example.
      And, clean energy could create tons of jobs!
      Yes, we need to take back the jobs that have gone around the world and bring them back home!

September 6, 2011 at 8:16 pm |

Janis,
      I agree with your comment...... Good point!

September 6, 2011 at 8:19 pm |
  46. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooooo everyone and Anderson!!!!
    Thanks for coming in for join us tonight! 😀
    Oh wow!!!!!!!!! That is so good news for me!!!!

September 6, 2011 at 8:02 pm |
  47. Saray

Greetings and salutations...

September 6, 2011 at 8:01 pm |
  48. Barry Brooks

At least Romney's father was truthful when he said he was "brainwashed." Obviously, truthfulness is not an inherited trait. Mitt is a career politician, running for elective office since 1992. Since that time he has been on both sides of a controversial issue as the need arose. Mark him down as can't be trusted.

September 6, 2011 at 8:01 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good point there, I agree with you, Barry.

September 6, 2011 at 8:13 pm |
  49. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! It's great to see you on.
    –Sounds like a busy night for news. Looking forward to your discussions.

September 6, 2011 at 8:00 pm |
  50. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone! Greetings!

September 6, 2011 at 8:00 pm |