Interview with Syrian ambassador: Join the Live Chat
August 18th, 2011

Interview with Syrian ambassador: Join the Live Chat

Anderson takes on the Syrian ambassador to the UN who denies his government is responsible for any atrocities against the Syrian people.

So what about all the video that says otherwise?

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Carrie

Thank you Anderson, Great job with Interview with Syrian ambassador, OMG what a lier!

August 18, 2011 at 8:57 pm |
  2. Emily

That's awesome! 21 puns of bathroom humor...that's awesome. 🙂

August 18, 2011 at 8:56 pm |
  3. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Oh wow!!!! That's so scary for me hear David Letterman recieved death threat from Middle East!!!!!!!! Yikes!!!!

Good night Anderson, everyone and my friends!!!!!!!
    See you tomorrow night, Have a great night & Sleep tight everyone!!!
    That's so silly I like ridiculist Anderson was laughing and crying about Gerard Deparieu!!!!! LOL! So funny Anderson, Thanks Anderson!!!! I agree with you, I love his funny expression face!!!!!! LOL!!! He is right! 🙂
    Have a good Friday!

Anderson,
    Have a great night & good sleep at home after work!!!
    See you tomorrow night!!! Just a plenty sleep at home!

August 18, 2011 at 8:56 pm |
  4. Starr, formerly know as vincent

I hope no one walks out on Piers tonight!

From the sound of it i missed a great Ridiculous last night, darn it. But i know i will love the segement tonight as i always do.
    As always can't wait for Anderson's witty comments.

Thank you & good night Anderson & Team 360.

Good night fellow writers. I wish you peace & safety tomorrow,, and always.

August 18, 2011 at 8:55 pm |
  5. vic , nashville ,tn

My 4 year old enjoy the last night Ridiculist and she asked me Who is tickling him?

August 18, 2011 at 8:52 pm |
    • Janis

How cute. Lucky Daddy.

August 18, 2011 at 8:55 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Vic,, your child sounds precious.

August 18, 2011 at 8:58 pm |
  6. Saray

There are entirely to many bad things happening in the world. How do super powers deal with all of it at once. Do they feed kids in Somalia? Do they stop kids from getting killed in Syria? Do they try and fix economy? It is truly disturbing.

August 18, 2011 at 8:52 pm |
  7. Janis

Ridiculist. You were so cute last night Anderson. You lost your journalist poker face for a little while, we love you anyway. So funny!

August 18, 2011 at 8:51 pm |
  8. Paula, Colorado

I've greatly enjoyed watching last night's Ridiculist over and over–on the internet–today.

August 18, 2011 at 8:50 pm |
    • Emily

You're not alone, Paula!
      It had me in stitches last night, and it still makes me laugh. 🙂
      It's guaranteed laughs for me.

August 18, 2011 at 8:51 pm |
    • Janis

I watched it again too, Paula. It was so contagious – oh here we go again – I'm giggling again...

August 18, 2011 at 8:53 pm |
  9. Emily

That was a terrific "RidicuList", Anderson!
    It was so good to see you laughing. You make us laugh with that all the time. It was good to see you laugh too.
    It was not as if you "lost it" and broke out laughing well interviewing the Syrian Ambassador! I hope that you're not going to hold that against yourself.

August 18, 2011 at 8:49 pm |
  10. Vince

Greetings everyone,

Now that we can see to what extremes these leaders of Syria, Lybia, Egypt are ready to kill and murder their own people with the whole world watching, in order to maintain their little kingdoms , one can only imagine what so many years of suppression must have been for the masses.

August 18, 2011 at 8:48 pm |
  11. Sharon Hastings

I saw that Anderson made a hit online today for his "giggle attack". I personally loved it.

August 18, 2011 at 8:48 pm |
  12. vic , nashville ,tn

Yes he didn’t look back he was hurry collect insurance money

August 18, 2011 at 8:45 pm |
  13. Janis

I think Hillary Clinton's announcement this AM said alot to address our stance on Syria. Also, if I understood it correctly, the UN acknowleges Syria's humanitarian abuses just short of calling it genocide. Syrian government is losing most all it's world support. Time for Assad to leave.

August 18, 2011 at 8:43 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Unfortunately the USA has little power to affect Syria, Janis. I'm glad we spoke up, but i am given to understand that Europe does much more business with them and therefore maybe able to affect Syria much more. I hope so.

I did hear however, that the Internatal Court is considering crimes against humanity.

August 18, 2011 at 8:50 pm |
  14. lisal -canada

the whole aruba snorkeling thing seems a bit fishy

August 18, 2011 at 8:43 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Aruba is gaining a bad reputation re: American murders. This story certainly does seem "fishy" lisal.

Martin S. has been doing great reporting on this story.

August 18, 2011 at 8:45 pm |
  15. Megan

This man is so clearly lying, refusing to acknowledge the all-too obvious truth, and it is disturbing and tragic. Thank you to Anderson and Arwa for showing what is actually happening, and exposing this blatant brutality, murder, and obfuscation. Thank you for – to the best of your ability – taking the Syrian government to task despite the lack of journalistic access.

August 18, 2011 at 8:38 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Very well stated Megan.

August 18, 2011 at 8:40 pm |
    • Emily

Arwa has been doing a great job in Syria. I think that she's a terrific reporter.

August 18, 2011 at 8:41 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good point there, Megan!!!!!!
      Arwa is also right!!!!! He lied us whole thing to say for sure.... BTW, Arwa is doing great job in Syria out of other side!!!!!

August 18, 2011 at 8:46 pm |
  16. Saray

Emily, I agree but what can we do to bring the market back compared to corporation that is loosing billions. Richest guy in the world lost 8 billion in one week.

August 18, 2011 at 8:36 pm |
    • Janis

All I can say to this is – Yeegads...that's alot of money. I lost 1/3 of my wealth – lot of money to me.

August 18, 2011 at 8:46 pm |
  17. vic , nashville ,tn

Before UN go they will clean some area and show those area to UN

August 18, 2011 at 8:33 pm |
  18. Sharon Hastings

Excellent interview by Anderson.

August 18, 2011 at 8:33 pm |
  19. Saray

Yeah Russian delegation is going to report what happens.

August 18, 2011 at 8:33 pm |
  20. Starr, formerly know as vincent

Stellar interview Anderson! Thank you for your persistance with this story of Syria. God knows the global community needs to know the lies from the truth!

August 18, 2011 at 8:32 pm |
    • Emily

I agree, Starr! It was a great interview. It's truly sickening to hear what's happening to the children and citizens of Syria by their own government.

August 18, 2011 at 8:38 pm |
      • Starr, formerly know as vincent

I agree Emily. Syria seems to have taken "brutality" to a whole new level.

However, Lybia & Somalia are pretty darn brutal to their people too.

I pray that Syria stays Strong and defeats their dictator (as well as Lybia & Somalia too).

August 18, 2011 at 8:43 pm |
  21. vic , nashville ,tn

In England they didn’t kill they arrest people and took them to court

August 18, 2011 at 8:31 pm |
  22. Janis

This interview sounds all too familiar. Anderson arguing with Gadahfi rep and here we are with Assad's UN rep. Dega Vu. Syrian government cannot see how the rest of the world sees them. Crazy. Glad Anderson is so good at exposing them.

August 18, 2011 at 8:29 pm |
  23. Saray

Only way Syria issues resolve is by rest of Arabic league stepping up pressure. Not sure they want to align with us and Israel...

August 18, 2011 at 8:29 pm |
  24. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

All creditors are demanding their money. What is the Market good for. absolutely nothing!

August 18, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
  25. Saray

Markets will come back as they always do. Rich people do not like to lose money. In regards to Syria, he will never step down by himself. Family has been in power since '67. Sanctions do not work since he doesn't care about little people and sanctions only hurt little guy. Plus he has Iran, China and Russia behind him. President is smart to take back seat to other nations. It may seam careless but we can't afford to deal with another crazy dictator right now.

August 18, 2011 at 8:25 pm |
    • Emily

It's not only "Rich People" in the Markets who are losing money, Saray. Many working people could have their pensions gone...In regards to Syria, it shouldn't have taken this long for Countries to call for the Syrian regime to step down. Whether he does or not is another question, however, the Global Community (Governments) should've said something long ago.

August 18, 2011 at 8:30 pm |
  26. Laura in Canada

Epic grilling of Syrian ambassador! Great, great work, Anderson! Way to go CNN for giving AC the freedom to report on this and speak the truth!

August 18, 2011 at 8:25 pm |
  27. Janis

Good interview. If journalists could get in to see what's going on in Syria, you know they would have it all cleaned up and you would only see what they wanted you to see.

August 18, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
  28. Emily

This is a great interview with the Syrian Ambassador to the UN, Anderson. He can't dance fast enough to your questions. I see that he's blaming you, and saying that you're the one whose telling lies on CNN...typical of someone with something to hide...try and turn the tables on the other person, when you don't have any facts to back up your statements.

August 18, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Well said Emily, i particularly liked your comment on "dancing" re: the ambassador. That's an appropriate description from where i sit.

August 18, 2011 at 8:29 pm |
  29. Paula, Colorado

Excellent interview, Anderson. The ambassador is just making excuses for the regime's excessive violence.

August 18, 2011 at 8:23 pm |
    • vic , nashville ,tn

I don’t think he making excuses because there is no excuse for their action
      Just he is lying he seen those videos

August 18, 2011 at 8:27 pm |
  30. Starr, formerly know as vincent

I find this ambassador to be arrogant, look at how he holds his head so high.

Good for you Anderson, keep pushing for the Truth! This man obviously Not going to tell you the truth though. He seems totally unable to name the "groups" that he insists are the "real" troublemakers.

Sure, All journalists shoud come and see for themselves! When?

August 18, 2011 at 8:23 pm |
  31. Sharon Hastings

Does the ambassador really believe what he is saying? Anderson was there.

August 18, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Sharon,
      I don't believe what he was saying about, He lied Anderson for sure!

August 18, 2011 at 8:31 pm |
  32. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson!
    You're so absolutely right! This is so disgust see this video!!!!!!!!!!! I agree with whole world ask the leader
    Assad step down for sure.......... I am so furious at Assad what he have done damage killing own their people!!!!! That is so outrage!!!

August 18, 2011 at 8:21 pm |
  33. vic , nashville ,tn

Government allowed peaceful demonstration joke

Why so many children die on the road with gun shots

August 18, 2011 at 8:21 pm |
  34. Janis

In regard to the economy. I also think it would help alot if the Frank-Dodd act was working. All that work to clean up the financial sector after the near-collapse and nothing has come of it. Big financial institutions are stopping it – no regulations. Business in finance as usual. It's scary. Noone is accountable. Too big to fail, too big to investigate? It would help us regular folk have some confidence. Things seem so corrupted to me.

August 18, 2011 at 8:20 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Well said Janis & i'm afraid i see corruption too.

August 18, 2011 at 8:25 pm |
  35. Emily

I wonder if this Syrian ambassador really believes what he's saying?

August 18, 2011 at 8:19 pm |
    • vic , nashville ,tn

Just he is defending his boss

August 18, 2011 at 8:23 pm |
      • Emily

Defending the indefensible...
        He's not doing a very good job, is he Vic?

August 18, 2011 at 8:25 pm |
        • vic , nashville ,tn

He is just lying do u think he didn’t seen those video

August 18, 2011 at 8:29 pm |
          • Emily

I seems to see what he wants...have this script in his head as to what he's going to say.

August 18, 2011 at 8:35 pm |
  36. vic , nashville ,tn

Who is this armed terrorist group? Good question

August 18, 2011 at 8:19 pm |
  37. Starr, formerly know as vincent

Finally the USA along with a number of other countries have Demanded the Syrian dictator step down!

I don't know how much the USA can do to Syria. But, Europe does a fair amt. of business with them. Maybe they can find Real Sanctions that will hurt the leadership in Syria.

Bless those children! What a sight, i hope with all my heart that they will Not be attacked too.

August 18, 2011 at 8:16 pm |
  38. Emily

I'm surprised that it took so long for President Obama to speak out against the regime in Syria.

August 18, 2011 at 8:14 pm |
    • Sharon Hastings

Last time he called for a leader to step down, he got blasted here at home. When he took action, he got blasted for taking us into combat without congress approval. Of course we know what happens when congress approval is sought.

August 18, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
      • Emily

I think that the President should do what he/she thinks is correct. I know that they can never make everyone happy, and of course, there are people just rooting for you to fail; sad! It seems like a no-win situation at times, however, if you do what's best, or what you believe is best, than at least you can live with yourself. I remember just suggesting one day here, about a nation-wide tax. I know that would never even be mentioned for that very reason; attacks from so many.

August 18, 2011 at 8:46 pm |
  39. Janis

I'm glad the US finally condemned Syrian leader Assad. He needs to step down. Murderous monster.

August 18, 2011 at 8:14 pm |
  40. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

It's like at rough sea with the Market!

August 18, 2011 at 8:12 pm |
    • Emily

I know, Gloria! I think that today was the first time that price of Gold went down.

August 18, 2011 at 8:15 pm |
  41. Janis

Good evening everyone. All I hear is we need to create jobs – people need to start spending, etc., etc. Most people aren't spending in my area because their easy credit has been stopped, their home equity credit line is gone. Previous spending was a big easy-credit party balloon that has burst. I also suspect Main street doesn't trust Wall Street anymore, I sure don't trust banks like I used to. Take out a loan – enter into a contract with anyone – yikes!
    Party is over!

August 18, 2011 at 8:12 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Janis!
      Good point there!!!! You're so right!!!!!!

August 18, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
  42. vic , nashville ,tn

Good evening every one

There is no second recession but recovery will be very slow

August 18, 2011 at 8:10 pm |
  43. Starr, formerly know as vincent

Evening Anderson & Team 360.

Hello blogger friends!

Thank God i was able to close on my house (re-fi) yesterday @4.75! 30 yr. fixed! Given the financial atmosphere, my assessment came in so low, i just barely got the re-fi.

I know i am lucky, but i fear for so many of my countrymen/women who do not have jobs, houses, Anything. I truly don't know Why Congress & the President took vacations! Our country needs help NOW!

August 18, 2011 at 8:09 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hi Starr!!!!
      Finally!!! You made it!!!! I think you're so absolutely right and good point there, I agree with you!!!

August 18, 2011 at 8:15 pm |
    • Sharon Hastings

Glad you could re-fi Starr. My mortgage is "underwater" but only a little, nothing like some friends whose houses are worth half of what they paid. Many are just walking away from them. Florida is a mess for mortgage messes and foreclosures. There was a giant bubble down here that burst big time.

August 18, 2011 at 8:17 pm |
    • vic , nashville ,tn

Good that you got 30 yr fixed next 2 years it will be hard after 5 years you will be proud of your investment

August 18, 2011 at 8:38 pm |
  44. Emily

I heard what Stephen said, - North America has been making changes over the past 2/3 years, however, things in Europe are completely different. And of course, then there's also the Asian Markets.

August 18, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
  45. Sharon Hastings

Good evening everyone. We were warned that the stock market would be volatile, up and down, for awhile. The economy is awful and has been for quite a while yet when something indicates that everyone acts surprised.

August 18, 2011 at 8:05 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Sharon,
      Good point, I agree with you also!!!! The world have big problem market to sell or buy or trade, we don't like to be bankrupt anymore!!! 🙁

August 18, 2011 at 8:09 pm |
  46. Emily

What is happening with the Markets around the world sounds like a viscous circle.
    Are we going to see economies not so interconnected after this is all over?

August 18, 2011 at 8:04 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Emily,
      Sounds like we have crash whole world going poof! That will be hard to lose our money for sure!

August 18, 2011 at 8:12 pm |
      • Emily

Hi Megan,
        So many Countries, and Governments all over the world, just falling apart.
        It really leaves this helpless feeling for many.

August 18, 2011 at 8:17 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooooo everyone and Anderson!!!!

Thanks for coming in for join us tonight! 😀
    Happy Thursday night!!!
    Wow!!! What a day for me I am really concern about Wall Street right now, YIKES!!!!! Now dive 400 points! 🙁

August 18, 2011 at 8:03 pm |
  48. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! It's great to see you on.
    Looking forward to your discussions tonight–and your interview with the Syrian Ambassador.
    –Can't wait to see your next Ridiculist.

August 18, 2011 at 8:02 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Paula,
      Me toooo!!!!! Can't wait see Ridulist!!!! LOL!!! 🙂

August 18, 2011 at 8:06 pm |
  49. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone! Greetings!

August 18, 2011 at 8:02 pm |
  50. Emily

Good evening Anderson, Isha, & bloggers!
    Looking forward to this evenings show.

August 18, 2011 at 8:01 pm |