August 10th, 2011

Stocks Sink & Somalia's Famine Crisis: Join the Live Chat

Stocks took a beating on Wall Street, yet again. The Dow plummeted 520 points. Tonight on 360° we'll look at what's fueling the sell-off and what it means to your bottom line. Plus, Anderson reports live from Somalia where 600,000 children are at risk of starvation. 600,000. Anderson will show you just how great the need is in Africa and see how you can help. All that and more tonight on the program.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Paula, Colorado

Great interview with Bono and K'naan, Anderson.

August 10, 2011 at 8:58 pm |
  2. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Night Everyone! May we all pray for a better!

August 10, 2011 at 8:56 pm |
  3. Lori - CA

This is inexcusable.
    Good night Anderson. Good night Everyone.
    Stay safe Anderson. You are beautiful.

August 10, 2011 at 8:56 pm |
  4. lisal -canada

am really enjoying the dialogue with bono and k'naan
    "it is out priorities that define us" -bono (so true)

August 10, 2011 at 8:55 pm |
  5. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good point people, I agree with all of you..
    Children need some vaccine for sure right now...... Make sure they are ok/healthy!!!!!

August 10, 2011 at 8:55 pm |
  6. Shelly Dul

Anderson,
    Thank you for reporting on this tragic story. Is there not a way that our wealthy pharmacutical companies with military help donate vaccines? I know we are in tough economic times but these are helpless children dying!

August 10, 2011 at 8:55 pm |
  7. Starr, formerly know as vincent

It Is impossible to believe that donations cannot be gotten for this situation. I have great respect for Bono, who has been working as a humanitarian for years.

Thank you and good night Anderson et al.

Good night fellow writers – peace & safety to you all.

I'm getting in touch with the World Food people and sending money. I know it's hard for everyone right now in terms of money. However, even $10 can make a Big difference if many people give.

Thank you Anderson, & Bono for your passion!

August 10, 2011 at 8:55 pm |
  8. Janis

It may be more about the corruption and black market. If you contribute, where is your money going? More reports on how aid is dispensed would help.

August 10, 2011 at 8:55 pm |
  9. Ashley

I am constantly following this situation, hoping and looking for it to get better. I want to see that ALL of these children are getting the aid they need. I am always waiting to see a report that a miracle has happened and that there are soldiers who have arrived and taken control, and provided safety to the aid workers and people. I am afraid I'll be waiting for a long time....

August 10, 2011 at 8:53 pm |
  10. Jim Barnes

A hint on the stock market it's drop is rich investors selling off their stocks to save their butts, not caring if it hurts Companies, smaller investors, economy, or Country. It is the greed of America showing it's real ugly face. It goes to the larger question that the markets are there not to help companies or people, but to extract every cent they can in the good times, and bail before things get bad. It's been the largest scam ever played on America that our markets are what makes America work, when in truth they there to use America's economy to fatten their pockets.

August 10, 2011 at 8:52 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Excellent post Jim! And so very true.

August 10, 2011 at 8:57 pm |
  11. vic , nashville ,tn

Crises like this kids need vaccine as Sanjay said but hard part convince those people to get vaccine conservatives always oppose that specially that part of the world

August 10, 2011 at 8:51 pm |
  12. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Yes, it is a sad situation for anyone to endure.

August 10, 2011 at 8:51 pm |
  13. Grant

Good night everyone.

Congress help us save these people. Prove to us that your real caring people. Do something

Thank you everyone else for helping these people.

August 10, 2011 at 8:50 pm |
    • Robert AZ

Get real Grant, remember black hawk down. Maybe Anderson and Bono will sail into their waters with all the millons they have.

August 10, 2011 at 9:02 pm |
  14. Paula, Colorado

Must be very depressing to be there.

August 10, 2011 at 8:47 pm |
  15. Lori - CA

Measles symptoms get worse when you get older. I know one person who died and one whos organs all shut down as a result of measles when they were adults.

August 10, 2011 at 8:45 pm |
  16. Michael Bryant

I have just returned from business in Kenya, this is a tragic time for the world. We can travel to the moon but not analyse and be proactive to the drought and famine in this region. I cannot fathom that no pre-warning or preparation for these
    people was possible. C'mon World where are the Scientists, Weather Experts to forewarn and lets get some preparation.

It will happen again, lets learn and be ready to elliminate this horror in the future !

August 10, 2011 at 8:45 pm |
    • Iya

There was a warning...last year, and even earlier this year. Sad that no one really acted on it, as it was preventable to a degree.

August 11, 2011 at 12:25 am |
  17. Nina

The unpurified water would be a major concern.

August 10, 2011 at 8:43 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Excellent point Nina.

August 10, 2011 at 8:46 pm |

Nina,
      You are so absolutely right! The water was so dirty underground!!!!!! Yikes!

August 10, 2011 at 8:52 pm |
  18. vic , nashville ,tn

World must help 60000 kids first

August 10, 2011 at 8:42 pm |
  19. Lori - CA

These are amazing stories about Somalia

August 10, 2011 at 8:42 pm |
    • Carla

It really is. I am in awe of their will and strength in such dire circumstances. Impressed that the children were speaking 2 languages. The focus must be on getting help to them and I understand that. But what I am also taking away from these stories is the just pure bravery shown by the Somalian people.

August 10, 2011 at 8:45 pm |
      • Lori - CA

Their will to carry on during such sadness is admirable.

August 10, 2011 at 8:46 pm |
  20. David

Wait a minute. Remember. Think. Ever since I started High School in 1980, I've been hearing about this region of Africa. From
    Ethiopia to "Black Hawk Down" to pirates in The Horn of Africa and now Somalia. Who (Person) is really responsible for these "people." What has or has not changed since 1980 for these "people." And where is all the monies that Bill Gate's Foundation and billionaire friends' donations they supposedly donated to African kids. Opra built a school perioD

August 10, 2011 at 8:42 pm |
    • Grant

Black hawk DOwn was Somalia and specifically Mogadishu not a lot has changed.

August 10, 2011 at 8:45 pm |
      • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Agreed, but why? Is there No entity able to defeat al shabaab and create a gov?

August 10, 2011 at 8:49 pm |
  21. vic , nashville ,tn

Anderson, Sanjay great job

Its happening, it’s real , people homeless in their own home no water no food they see their loving child die in their hand with out food

August 10, 2011 at 8:41 pm |
  22. lisal -canada

bono has a very powerful persona and presence – his voice is one of those which so often speaks for those who cannot

August 10, 2011 at 8:37 pm |
  23. Nina

Alaska is such a beautiful state. The last of America's wilderness

August 10, 2011 at 8:35 pm |
    • Carla

I love Alaska!!! Heading there friday.

August 10, 2011 at 8:38 pm |
      • Nina

You are very lucky. Only in my dreams will I visit Alaska. Have a wonderful trip

August 10, 2011 at 8:41 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Me too!!!! I never have visit Alaska for many years!!!!! Only one person broke her leg.... Lucky one..... There is iceberg collasped about 200 ft between 300 feet!!!! *WHEW!*

August 10, 2011 at 8:48 pm |
  24. Laura

Bono and Anderson – two of my favorite people on a shared mission to help! proud of you!
    Note to Canadians: Givernment is matching your donations to Somali aid dollar for dollar! Please check out the gov website!

August 10, 2011 at 8:33 pm |
    • Vince

I commend that initiative! Great!

August 10, 2011 at 8:36 pm |
  25. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

The Market goes "weeee!"

August 10, 2011 at 8:33 pm |
  26. Starr, formerly know as vincent

God bless the father of one of the young men who were killed last night.

He managed to stop another tense incident by calming people down.

Who is comforting him?

August 10, 2011 at 8:33 pm |

Starr,
      I agree with you..... That is so horrible situation in London and people are so angry and riots over the street!!!! Yikes!!!!

August 10, 2011 at 8:42 pm |
  27. Ashley

We have CNN up at all times in our office. I have been following the story of what is going on right now in Eastern Africa closely. I can not get the images of these poor children out of my mind. I have been losing sleep just thinking about this terrible situation. I can't even bring myself to eat because I feel so guilty for what I have been taking for granted. I am very appreciative that this story is just now getting media attention. Hopefully more people can find it in their hearts to help these people!

August 10, 2011 at 8:30 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yes, Good point, Ashley...... I agree with you..... That was so wrench story to see this right now.

August 10, 2011 at 8:37 pm |
      • Ashley

I am finding it hard not to donate everything I have. Being a parent, I see these children and see my own son. I want to continue donating. I am begging others to as well. Our country has it's problems, but we will get by.... these children will not.

August 10, 2011 at 8:41 pm |
        • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yes, You can any donate to children to help there..... any website you find take donate. Very sad ideed,

August 10, 2011 at 8:44 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Ashley, try and eat without guilt. Keep yourslef healthy so you can continue to help. But, i do know what you mean.

August 10, 2011 at 8:44 pm |
      • Ashley

I try, but I literally find myself in tears. If I wouldn't be leaving my own child behind, I would be over there in a heartbeat and risk my own life. I just can't stand feeling like there is so much more I can do other than donate, yet at the same time there isn't much that I can do.

August 10, 2011 at 8:48 pm |
  28. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Bloggers,
    I am so proud of Anderson is helping children and parents!!!! he is so concern right now as my concern too.... I agree all of you..... That's so breaking heart goes to children!!!!!!

August 10, 2011 at 8:28 pm |
  29. Paula, Colorado

Very moving report, Anderson. It's tragic and alarming about the hospital–I'm very glad you were able to help there. It's difficult to hear of the circumstances the people are facing–and the obstacles to assisting them

August 10, 2011 at 8:28 pm |
  30. Janis

Fly in food and air drop it immediately. Deal with the Somalian government and whoever else becomes indignant later.

August 10, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

I wish it could be so Janis. However, there is no gov. in Somalia and al shabaab steals the assistance from the people.

August 10, 2011 at 8:29 pm |
      • Lori - CA

Star, do you know, does Somalia have industry? What do they produce?

August 10, 2011 at 8:32 pm |
      • Janis

Drop so close to the camps that a mob of starving people would be hard for them to control. I don't advocate creating chaos but this situation if so life threatening. Guess it's a last resort. I'd fight thru fire to get food for my children.

August 10, 2011 at 8:33 pm |
        • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Sad to say, al shabaab would simply kill them. They have no regard for human life, or the situation would Not be what it is.
          I agree, i would face death to save my children, and that;s exactly what the parents face.

I do not know the industry of Somalia. It sould like they are mostly farmers.

August 10, 2011 at 8:37 pm |
          • Janis

More monsters. They are everywhere. Good to chat with you, Starr and Nina.

August 10, 2011 at 8:44 pm |
        • Nina

The people are no match to guns. They would only be gunned down and killed

August 10, 2011 at 8:38 pm |
      • Kelly

I agree. I wish that more media attention was paid to this over the past several weeks. Some aid is getting in although it is not perfect, so little money can go so far to save children. Even if only $1 out of $10 gets in– each $1 can save a child. Here is breakdown from FeedThe Hungary: Food packs of 40kg of corn and 5kg of beans will provide minimal subsistence to a family of five for one month. Proteins, cooking oil and sugar will be added to the food packs. Each food pack will cost approx USD$25 or $5 per person a month to provide approx 1000 calories a day. They have a great summary of the situation- politically and socially: http://www.feedthehungryaustralia.org/110702.php

August 10, 2011 at 9:06 pm |

Good point there, Janis!

August 10, 2011 at 8:34 pm |
  31. Beth

First of all...Congress doesn't deserve a vacation! They made this mess and skipped town. A lot of Americans can't afford a one week vacation, let alone 5!
    The poor children in Somalia just break my heart. Monday, after seeing Anderson, I gave to Care and yesterday when he mentioned the world food organization, I gave to them. Sad to say, though, they are in the U.K. so the amount they receive will only be a little over half what I gave...the dollar isn't what it used to be!

August 10, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
  32. Lori - CA

What does Somalia produce?

August 10, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
    • Grant

According to wikipedia they mainly export texttiles and raw materials although. The CIA estimates their GDP is 5.7 Billion and the average Somalian lives on about a dollar a day in 2009.

August 10, 2011 at 8:31 pm |
      • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Thanks Grant, You're right about that.

August 10, 2011 at 8:33 pm |
      • Lori - CA

Somalia needs to find a way to produce their own food so they will not have to endure this over and over.

August 10, 2011 at 8:48 pm |
  33. Lori - CA

Hi Anderson! Hi Everyone! Good evening.

August 10, 2011 at 8:23 pm |
  34. Janis

Hello everyone. Somalia is a tragic place and the cries of the children are heartwrenching. Something needs to be done about their plight. Their government is a joke. This will continue until some international pressure is applied to bring this country into a stable situation. Why is Somalia ignored year after year? If aid is being withheld by the government for whatever political reason, it is and never will be morally justified.

August 10, 2011 at 8:20 pm |
  35. Nina

Thank you Anderson for helping that family. It must be emotionally overwhelming

August 10, 2011 at 8:19 pm |
  36. Starr, formerly know as vincent

God bless you Anderson et al for being the Messenger.

I could not take being there and feeling so helpless to take care of everyone.

Although i donate monthly, i am sending more this month to Somalia.

August 10, 2011 at 8:19 pm |
  37. Chris

Why are all of these people having to walk for weeks? Are there no vehicles to go out from the center and bring these people in? Perhaps this has been explained.

August 10, 2011 at 8:18 pm |
  38. Nina

Just hear- wrenching... nothing more can be said. So very tragic...

August 10, 2011 at 8:18 pm |
  39. niwat kurusattra, chicago

Dear Anderson Cooper and AC360 crews,
    The Down has acted wildly after the credit reduction has been announced by the end of last week, how could President Obama remain such an undertone position. I think he should play an expediting, leading role to recess the white house+Congress back.
    Heartbreaking! for those poor Somalian Kids, for long term famine prevention, Somalia needs some sort of internal security stability, Could the UN security intervene so that food-aid organization can set up camps.

August 10, 2011 at 8:17 pm |
  40. Vince

Greetings everyone,

Extremely sad reports of the dying children just breaks my heart.... with 600,000 at risk. The children are most vulnerable, innocent; and have not had a chance in life... I pray that this dire situtation turns around quickly with help streaming from around the globe.

August 10, 2011 at 8:17 pm |
  41. vic , nashville ,tn

“600,000 children are on the brink of starvation” heart breaking news
    Many doesn’t know what is going on rest of the world .I am glad you reporting the news
    Thanks Anderson

August 10, 2011 at 8:15 pm |
  42. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

This is only the begin of 600,000 children at risk of starvation!

August 10, 2011 at 8:13 pm |
  43. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooooo everyone and Anderson!!!!

Thanks for coming in for join us tonight! 😀
    Sorry be late join with all of you!!!!! 🙂

August 10, 2011 at 8:11 pm |
  44. Starr, formerly know as vincent

Once again i called the WH and strongly suggested that Congress be called back and that Pres. Obama show some leadership in calling them back. I called on Mon. & again today.

They Don't listen!!

August 10, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
    • Carla

Proud to hear that Starr! So glad, no matter what our differences may be, we are all trying to hold our politicians accountable. Good job!

August 10, 2011 at 8:10 pm |
    • Nina

Hi Starr

Thank you for being so pro-active. Hopefully more Americans will do the same.

August 10, 2011 at 8:12 pm |

Starr,
      I think they can doing try listen you, I know they are so busy right now...... I am proud of you contacted White House and congress.

August 10, 2011 at 8:14 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Thank you for your comments, but i can't be the Only one. Others must write & call too, in great numbers. Maybe then they willhear us!

August 10, 2011 at 8:17 pm |
      • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

You can write your congress or senators or WH a letter without contact.

August 10, 2011 at 8:25 pm |
        • Beth

Megan, I was in process of doing that, and thought their off for 5 weeks, they probably aren't even checking their mail! Just made the mess and skipped!

August 10, 2011 at 8:32 pm |
          • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yes! You're right about that too.... I agree what are you saying very mess right now!!!!! 🙂

August 10, 2011 at 8:39 pm |
    • Grant

Hows that vacation going congress? I guess the people will do what they can to deal with Somalia too. I hope you join us soon lives are literally at stake this time.

August 10, 2011 at 8:18 pm |
    • vic , nashville ,tn

Congress made this mess so they have all the rights to enjoy their vacation in our money (tax payer money)

August 10, 2011 at 8:21 pm |
  45. Nina

Good evening everyone

Absolutely tragic so many children are starving to death. It makes one grateful for what we have.

August 10, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
  46. Carla

Confidence is the main issue, glad that is being talked about -all leadership is truly missing....while everyone is out campaigning.

August 10, 2011 at 8:07 pm |
  47. Grant

Good evening everyone.

August 10, 2011 at 8:05 pm |
  48. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone! Greetings!

August 10, 2011 at 8:03 pm |
  49. Starr, formerly know as vincent

Evening Anderson & Team 360 in the field & in the field.

Hello blogger friends!

The markiets are crazy!

August 10, 2011 at 8:02 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yes!!!! Ir is!!!!! That was so horrible markets today!!!!!!!! Hope will bounce back tomorrow.

August 10, 2011 at 8:23 pm |
  50. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! It's good to see you from Somalia–though it is an incredibly sad situation there.
    600,000 children at risk of starvation is almost impossible to visualize.

August 10, 2011 at 8:00 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

I agree Paula, beyond reason too.

August 10, 2011 at 8:05 pm |
    • Nina

I agree Paula. Its heart-breaking. :~( And Americans are always complaining about something. This should make all of us be grateful for what we do have...

August 10, 2011 at 8:10 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yes, It is...... Very risk of children dying right now........ I agree with you, Paula........ That's right Nina.... Anderson and I broke our hearts too.

August 10, 2011 at 8:20 pm |