UK Riots, Starving in Somalia & More: Join the Live Chat
August 9th, 2011

UK Riots, Starving in Somalia & More: Join the Live Chat

Tonight on 360°, we have breaking news on three fronts. Across the UK police are promising to crackdown on new riots. The violence began after the shooting death by police of a 29-year-old black man in London last week. And Anderson will be reporting from Somalia, where there's a dire warning from the World Food Programme. The UN agency, which is offering the most assistance to famine victims, says it will run of money in three weeks or less. And here at home, we now know the three Democratic senators who will serve on the new super committee tasked with cutting the U.S. deficit.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Nina

So many people starving is clearly a Humanitarian catastrophe. There must be ways in which we can solve this problem

August 9, 2011 at 8:55 pm |
  2. Lori - CA

Can you hear the emotion in Iman's and Anderson's voices in this interview?

August 9, 2011 at 8:54 pm |
  3. Sharon Hastings

Thanks to Anderson's programs there I'm hoping many donations will come in. Thank you Anderson and 360!

August 9, 2011 at 8:54 pm |
  4. Sherri

Is this rioting of the poor against the rich? People will only put up with being shut out of the system for so long and then they will attempt to bring down the system.

August 9, 2011 at 8:53 pm |
    • Grant

Good night everyone.

Something is happening but it's not wholey transparent yet, you might say the answer is blowing in the wind.

August 9, 2011 at 8:58 pm |
  5. Starr, formerly know as vincent

Iman has been Consistenly outspoken about her home country for many years now.

I hope she continues to speak out as she is able to mobilize money to the Somali people's aid.

August 9, 2011 at 8:52 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Iman is absolutely right about the Arab countries stepping up.

August 9, 2011 at 8:55 pm |
  6. Sharon Hastings

I guess contributing to the World Food Program might be the faster way to go??? That paste is supposed to be a miraculous life saver.

August 9, 2011 at 8:51 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good point there, Sharon.

August 9, 2011 at 8:54 pm |
  7. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

We all have to stop depending on money and learn to get along without it, sometime!

August 9, 2011 at 8:51 pm |
  8. Nina

The WFP is in such demand. So much starvation all over the world...

August 9, 2011 at 8:50 pm |
  9. Nina

Good evening everyone.

Wow, this is difficult for those of us on the West Coast as we get off work by the time this program is ended

August 9, 2011 at 8:49 pm |
    • Grant

You can still catch the show at 7 but not the blog.

August 9, 2011 at 8:51 pm |
      • Nina

Thanks for the info Grant. However, I love to exercise my first amendment rights... freedom of speech :~) and sharing my opinion whether anyone wants to listen to it or not. lol

August 9, 2011 at 8:57 pm |

Hello Nina!!!!
      Welcome to new time!!!!!! Yes, you said that!!!!

August 9, 2011 at 8:53 pm |
      • Nina

Thanks Megan :~)

August 9, 2011 at 8:58 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Hi Nina. I didn't even think about that. We're glad you made it!

Thank you & good night Anderson et al.
      Good night fellow writers – great conversation!
      Safety & peace to all.

August 9, 2011 at 8:58 pm |
  10. Dan fron Chicago,IL

Anderson do you think that these kind of riots , looting and vandalism is the future for all of the most populous nations with most all free nations who do not put the needy first in their policies?

August 9, 2011 at 8:49 pm |

Yes, Dan.

August 9, 2011 at 8:52 pm |
    • Sherri

That's what I think. My mother told me her father always got extra flour at the mill and gave it away on his way home from the mill. When she asked him why he said, "If poor people get hungry, they will come and take what we have."

August 9, 2011 at 8:56 pm |
  11. Sharon Hastings

Boy, London is just up for grabs. So much unrest sparked by that shooting incident. Looks like it's turned into just an opportunity to riot and rob.

August 9, 2011 at 8:42 pm |
  12. lisal -canada

good gosh – that is a mob mentality gone completely out of control – i am quite shocked, actually, at the duration and intensity of the riots and looting

August 9, 2011 at 8:42 pm |
  13. Starr, formerly know as vincent

The London riots Are a concern for everyone. This could catch on everywhere with so many young people unemployed and with nothing else to do.
    They are young and frustrated! However, rioting, as most of us know, is NOT the answer.

August 9, 2011 at 8:42 pm |
    • Lori - CA

As Gloria said earlier.....rioting is not making circumstances better.

August 9, 2011 at 8:44 pm |
      • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Hi Lori. I suspect the London police are out of practice in handling riots as it has been many years since that have had to confront this aweful behavior.
        Rioting and stealing, and burning Anywhere is just plain Wrong!

August 9, 2011 at 8:47 pm |
        • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good point Starr!!!!! Very wrong to do steal things!!!!!

August 9, 2011 at 8:51 pm |
        • Lori - CA

It is too bad that the police there can not depend on people acting on their best behavior.

August 9, 2011 at 8:53 pm |
  14. Saphira

I agree, Anderson- such a high number of children starving should definitely be making headlines here. Instead, the headlines are plastered with manufactured crises like the debt ceiling. Just a small amount of the money flowing through corrupted politics here could buy enough food to save those children. Thank you for having your priorities straight, and stay safe over there.

August 9, 2011 at 8:40 pm |
  15. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    I am so shocked they have no food/water....... It made me so sad..... I am really concern people and children are dying right now..... I hope our people willing help bring some food and water to Somalia........ That was so horrible sutuation right now. 🙁

August 9, 2011 at 8:39 pm |
  16. Lori - CA

I can hardly believe that is London!

August 9, 2011 at 8:38 pm |
    • Carla

Ubelievable the people pretending to help someone and robbing them. I just dont understand how people have lost so much of their personal pride and humanity.

August 9, 2011 at 8:42 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yes, To hard believe....... They were so angry about economy..... They don't have no money as well... I know why they wanted money, not get it.

August 9, 2011 at 8:45 pm |
  17. Paula, Colorado

It's sad to see the vulnerability of the children.

August 9, 2011 at 8:37 pm |
  18. Cathy

It something was said, I missed it so am wondering about the $100+ million that the US just committed. What will that be used for and when will these people receive the benefit of it? Just wondering since there is talk of there being no food soon.

August 9, 2011 at 8:34 pm |
    • Carla

Great question Cathy! I think that would be very interesting follow up –

August 9, 2011 at 8:36 pm |
      • Cathy

Given our own situation, I think we should be informed as to exactly where the money is going and hopefully that is toward priorities such as food and medicine.

August 9, 2011 at 8:42 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good point question, Cathy...
      I think they will figure it out how they will take careful budget our money as well.... That will be eventually will change money as well.. I can remember they have problem 500 more than ours as well.....

August 9, 2011 at 8:42 pm |
  19. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Anderson, it is clear to us that you care about all walk of life. Just be careful, you and the crew of CNN!

August 9, 2011 at 8:34 pm |
  20. Lori - CA

Implementing policies that result in these types of conditions for children is just pure evil.

August 9, 2011 at 8:32 pm |
  21. Grant

I truly care about the people of somalia and their welfare. These our are kin we are all human the imaginary boundaries that seperate countries are an old way of thinking. How can we worry about the people on not think of the most unforunate. It feels arrogant to say that they are less important than we. This is my problem it is about your own personal accountability. If we don;t stand up and do something who will?

August 9, 2011 at 8:31 pm |
    • Grant

"Most people are mirrors reflecting on moods and emotions of the time, few are windows bringing light to bear on dark corners where trouble festers. The whole point of education is to turn mirrors into windows" –Sydneyt J. Harris

August 9, 2011 at 8:34 pm |
      • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Terrific quote Grant! & true.

August 9, 2011 at 8:36 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Well said!

We also need to take care of the poor here in America too. Isn't that the Christian ethic? Yet we watch as one of our political parties wants to gut programsfor the poor and save the rich – i just don't get it?

August 9, 2011 at 8:34 pm |
      • Cathy

I am not wealthy, but if it were not for the wealthy, the poor could not be taken care of.

August 9, 2011 at 8:37 pm |
    • Sharon Hastings

Well said Grant. I agree.

August 9, 2011 at 8:35 pm |
  22. Starr, formerly know as vincent

I hope that everyone who can afford it, gives a donation to the UNHCR. They have a catagory for your money to go to the Most Urgent situations – and this certainly qualifies. I have a small amt. of money withdrawn from my acct. every month – been doing it for 3 yrs. now.
    I hope others will consider doing a donation that way.

August 9, 2011 at 8:30 pm |
    • Sharon Hastings

I donated yesterday through the Amer. Red. Cross. They have a category you can select for the African famine. The Red Cross has committed to doubling their initial monies and supplies for Somalia.

August 9, 2011 at 8:33 pm |
      • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Thank you Sharon,. I did not know about that donation.

Frankly, no matter Whose agency you use, any spare change is important to give!

August 9, 2011 at 8:38 pm |
    • Laura (Austin, TX)

Thanks for naming the UNHCR. I was looking for the reference to donate to the UN.
      Yes, we have our troubles in the US. Yes, there are people here who have nothing and depend on safety net services like Medicare, Medicaid, and Food Stamps. At the same time, we are part of the World family and we need to respond to this incredible need. We need to let it break open our hearts,

August 9, 2011 at 8:55 pm |
  23. Sharon Hastings

Thank heavens for these doctors. They do what they can. I hope Ahmed will survive.

August 9, 2011 at 8:30 pm |
  24. Ryan Jones

Thank you for making me aware of the issues in Somalia. I just made a donation to the World Food Program in hopes that it will help save lives. If you're reading this please do the same.

August 9, 2011 at 8:28 pm |
  25. Lori - CA

I did not hear what Dr. Gupta said about the smell...it has a sweet smell? What did he say?

August 9, 2011 at 8:28 pm |
    • Vince

Lori,

Dr. Gupta referred to it as acrid sweetness – describing a bad unpleasant ador associated with malnutrition

August 9, 2011 at 8:45 pm |

Thank you, Vince.... You're right!!! 🙂

August 9, 2011 at 8:48 pm |
  26. lisal -canada

hearing that the food supply may run out in approximately 3 weeks is very startling – one assumes that organizations like that don't ever "run out"

should organizations that raise funds and take action to save lives, like the world food banks, be considered "too big to fail"?

August 9, 2011 at 8:28 pm |
  27. Sharon Hastings

That cute little boy was just staring at Anderson. Such primitive living conditions for that family, worse for others though.

August 9, 2011 at 8:27 pm |
  28. Lori - CA

That litle boy is so cute. He is taking every inch of Anderson in with those eyes. That is darling.

August 9, 2011 at 8:26 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yes, He is!!!!!!! He is so hugry right now....... He wanted food and likes Anderson as well.

August 9, 2011 at 8:33 pm |
  29. Paula, Colorado

Fascinating–though alarming–report with the peacekeepers, Anderson. Please be careful in Somalia!

August 9, 2011 at 8:25 pm |
  30. sharon

When will you people wake up? We are getting skinned financially here in the US and then I understand we are sending millions to Somalia-where the warlord had the dead bodies of our soldiers dragged through the streets. We need to take care of our country first rather than running all over the world throwing around money. I think it is going to take people going into the streets to make our point. Also Obama said he would get our troops home and end the wars and now he has us involved in Libya. Get a clue Barry. Make America your first priority.

August 9, 2011 at 8:25 pm |
  31. lisal -canada

nima's perspective during that last piece kind of was a really concise summary of what i was thinking about and wondering about the situation with al shabaab

August 9, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
  32. Lori - CA

No matter how terrible we think our lives are right now in the U.S., our existance is so much more civilized than in most other places.

August 9, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
  33. Grant

So wait a second, some American that that the best way to help somolians was to join that group and blow himself up.

August 9, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

My understanding is that American Somalis are kidnapped and taken to Somalia, brainwashed and let loose. Even their families do not know what has happened to their children until it is too late.

August 9, 2011 at 8:25 pm |
  34. Starr, formerly know as vincent

My cousin did a lot of reading on al shabaab – they are Much worse the al queada (still haven't learned the spelling).

Right now, this group is the Worst terrorist group in the world!

August 9, 2011 at 8:21 pm |
  35. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Rioting is never any good for any society of people. Please protest in a more peaceful way to get your point across with great consideration for all the people in London.

August 9, 2011 at 8:19 pm |
  36. Starr, formerly know as vincent

Anderson et al, i hope that reporters are Not in danger too! I know you will take care, but al shabaab (sp) is famous for disregard of human life!

August 9, 2011 at 8:14 pm |
    • Grant

Welcome home Starr.

August 9, 2011 at 8:15 pm |
      • Starr, formerly know as vincent

I forgot the new time!

August 9, 2011 at 8:18 pm |

Yup!!!!! You did!!! Welcome to new time zone!!!!!!! 🙂

August 9, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
          • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Hi Megan, i'm on MNT time so it's 6pm here when the show starts, i think it's 5 pm in you time zone.
            I have had to change my dog walking/garden water times to make it at this time.

August 9, 2011 at 8:28 pm |
            • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

That's right, Starr....... My time is now 5 pm........ You're right!!!!!!!

August 9, 2011 at 8:31 pm |
    • Sharon Hastings

Yes Starr. It seems there have been so many situations where reporters have been in danger, including Anderson.

August 9, 2011 at 8:17 pm |
  37. Grant

It seems the world lacks leadership at the moment. So much disarray and suffering it's like watching the beginning of an apocalyptic movie. Where is Martin Luther King or Ghandi to lead us out of the darkness.

August 9, 2011 at 8:14 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Hi Grant. How very true of lack of Leadership Anywhere in the world right now! We do need a Ghandi (one of my fav. heros).

In America, it may be the People that will have to Lead!

August 9, 2011 at 8:17 pm |
  38. Sharon Hastings

Good evening everyone. I'm completely off schedule with this new timeslot.

August 9, 2011 at 8:14 pm |

Hi Sharon
      Nice you have be here!!!!!!! For now. 🙂

August 9, 2011 at 8:24 pm |
  39. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

That horrible I have seen this is so bad in Somalia right now...... My heart breaking right now...... So sad indeed!!!!!! 🙁

August 9, 2011 at 8:13 pm |
    • Rudy

Remember Micheal Durant at this time.

August 9, 2011 at 8:22 pm |
      • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yes, I do remember Michael well..... he did involved too, Rudy!

August 9, 2011 at 8:25 pm |
  40. Lori - CA

This is quite a story about Somalia.....can't understand why anyone would target children.

August 9, 2011 at 8:12 pm |
  41. Vince

Greetings everyone,

So sad to hear the reports coming from Somalia – so heart breaking seeing the pictures, the helplessness – so many children have died from just basic needs of hunger and thirst. I am hoping that the help can reach them quickly in order to save as many lives. I cannot imagine what it feels like for these parents trying to save their children against all the odds.

August 9, 2011 at 8:12 pm |
  42. Starr, formerly know as vincent

Evening Anderson & Team 360 in the field & in the studio.

Hello blogger friends!

I am worried about the riots in London. There are people i have spoken to in America that are on the verge of revolution too!

Also heartbroken re: famine- totally man made!

August 9, 2011 at 8:11 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I agree with you, Starr........ I am also worried about London riots right now, Now, They are calm right now due people leaves..

August 9, 2011 at 8:21 pm |
  43. Paula, Colorado

I can understand their anger, but the rioters in London need to find a more effective way to protest–the destruction there looks terrible.

August 9, 2011 at 8:11 pm |
  44. Grant

Good evening everyone, I was running late from work fortunately I could listen to the show on XM radio.

August 9, 2011 at 8:08 pm |
    • Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

XM raido, I'm going to have make a note of that. Thank you!

August 9, 2011 at 8:12 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Sound good to me, You can use radio anytime....... Don't worry....... That is good thing listen radio!!!! 🙂

August 9, 2011 at 8:15 pm |
  45. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

There goes that roller-coaster ride, again. This time it is good!

August 9, 2011 at 8:06 pm |
  46. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Finally, We made it........... Econpmy goes up 400 points!!!!
    Yes, I do love my senators Murray, Baucus and Kerry....... Good choice!

August 9, 2011 at 8:04 pm |
    • Grant

I'm not happy about Murray, it will be the republicans excuse fir bringing along the Tea party it's good to have Kerry though.

August 9, 2011 at 8:10 pm |

Grant,
        We will find out who will choose for republican senators, we will let you know, I understand you are not happy about that, I am sorry what you feeling right now.

August 9, 2011 at 8:29 pm |
  47. Carla

Good evening.

August 9, 2011 at 8:02 pm |
  48. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooooo everyone and Anderson!!!!

Thanks for coming in for join us tonight! 😀

August 9, 2011 at 8:01 pm |
  49. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone! Greetings!

August 9, 2011 at 8:00 pm |
  50. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! It's good to see you from Somalia–glad you made it there safely.
    I hope people will realize the critical need to assist in the relief effort for those affected by the famine.

August 9, 2011 at 8:00 pm |