August 8th, 2011

KTH: Blame game

Editor's note: Both parties are pointing fingers over America's lowered credit rating. We're keeping them honest.

Filed under: 360° Radar • Raw Politics
  1. J.V.Hodgson

As a young man I was mad on Roller coaster rides and the biggest ride ( on a trip out of US to UK) at the time was in Bellvue Manchester UK.
    I got in the car and sat next to a local who said as we approached the top of the Hill where you from? US I reply.Ah he says it's up an' down round and round we go agin an gittin nowhere fast.
    Then the ride ends and I say I wanna go agin he says me too. So we do. It was a real bone shaker seat lifter of a ride before the strict safety belts etc of today, it was hang on yourself,just a safety bar 6 inches above your hips.
    Half way up t' ill ( first Hill) he says whad ya tink about our politicians? I say dont really know an he sez our lot are just like yours, and like this effin coaster ride up an down like a bloody yo yo and going aroun' / aroun' in ever decreasing circles an enning up back where we started from. T'only ( the only) difference is this ride is a bloody sight more fun an'll be here long after they are all gone just like you an me!! Unless I anna ( am not) careful an fallout of one of these bloody unsafe contraptions and die.
    I said No you can sue the safety authorities/government
    His response, you gotta be kiddin me the government will never accept blame fo' anythin, there's no such thing as blame in politics, unless tis t'other sides fault.
    I neverkniew the guys name or back ground but the idea and concept for all politics sticks with me to this day.
    The blame game is fruitless in politics and meaningless.
    Regards,
    Hodgson

August 21, 2011 at 3:22 am |
  2. Jonathan Waddell

This is a letter to every member of Congress.
    As a taxpaying resident of the United States I can get behind spending cuts, tax changes and reform and so forth but the one thing I can't stomach is the childish antics that have been present in recent weeks over each and everything that goes through Congress. You and the other representatives need to get your acts together and stop all of this partisan bickering and work out these things like educated adults.
    I have two young boys 1 and 3 years old and I see the same kind of infantile behavior from them when they fight over toys... Congress need to get it's collective head in the game, stop trying to one up the other side of the aisle and do what you were put in that office to do... Represent your constituents!
    I am a registered Democrat and a consistent voter, I am just as sick with the Democrats as I am with the Republicans! We need another party to represent the real America that lands in the middle of all of the right wing left wing garbage.
    Your actions and decisions in Congress effect real people, the people who pay taxes, get up every morning and drag their butts to jobs that can't pay enough, drive cars they have to put outrageously priced gas in, and have to watch their 401k retirement plans value crash, as a result of partisan whining and political grand standing.
    These last few weeks have made me embarrassed for the America I grew up loving.
    Get your head in the game and tell the other members of Congress the same! You're in this for America not Party Politics!

-Jonathan

August 11, 2011 at 3:59 pm |
  3. Paul Jones

While I agree with David Gergin that the country would love to see President Obama step up and lead, the sad reality is the Republicans have made it absolutely clear that they want the economy to crash. They took the financial system to the edge with the debt ceiling debacle and it turns out, they let it go over the edge. Now that the S&P has downgraded US debt and European banking fears are growing like a raging forest fire, they may get the Armageddon they wanted. Unfortunately, they think destroying the US economy is the only way they can beat Obama next year. But obviously, they are not listening to the voters or watching the polls.

August 11, 2011 at 1:47 am |
  4. Maria K

Where are the Patriotic Americans', generous spirit when there are so many ultra rich populations in USA. When there was Asian Flu economic problem there were many rich Asian people competing to top up each other to open their treasures to donate to help pay for their country's deficits. But in USA, nobody but nobody of those filthy rich wanted to open their hearts and coffer to donate and bail out for the countries debts. Not even to pay more tax than the have -nots. If every rich American just donate $10.000 a household the debt will disappear in no time at all. But the rich still wanted to drink imported French wine, live lavishly, look at the lifestyle of the rich and famous. Have they ever thought and cross their minds
    of the poor Americans who struggle for what they will eat today? The powerful and the fithy rich are all talks that they love America the Beautiful

August 11, 2011 at 12:32 am |
  5. Wahyuni S.

August 11, 2011 at 12:30 am |
  6. Jasmine

Isn't it fair to say we are in a depression? I really believe if we don't come up with some new systematic ways of doing things we are headed for disaster reaching all of us. Don't want us to turn into a new Mexico....

August 10, 2011 at 3:56 pm |
  7. jbrewster

For S&P (a company whose fallacious ratings contributed significantly to the worldwide economic crisis) to downgrade the U.S. credit rating is ludicrous. The general public, governments and the market should dismiss this action, ignore and marginalize S&P as their only interest is to see what happens when they assert their power and influence.

August 9, 2011 at 11:53 pm |
  8. Regina Cooper

Unbelievable!!! The President warned of this and no one seemed to believe him, or worse yet, the republicans knew what was going to happen. Who is to blame , two words TEA PARTY. They were elected to do just this, bring this President down, no matter what the cost.
    Perhaps next time voters will educate themselves before casting their vote.

August 9, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  9. Geoff D.

I do not understand why the level of infuriation about this by 82% of Americans has not stopped the blaming yet. Seriously, people currently have such disdain for our government for doing this to us, it doesn't matter to the general public what party did what anymore. DO SOMETHING ALREADY.

While I am more on the liberal side, I know many people across the spectrum who just don't care anymore and want government to go along TOGETHER with anything...again JUST DO SOMETHING AND QUIT THE CHILDISHNESS.

In a a day where right after any election, the opposition immediately begins campaining to get the incumbent in a position where they are plumeting into the depth of satanism if a fiery ball...no one cares anymore. You are adults, you are educated, you were hired by us to JUST DO SOMETHING!

Wouldn't it be refreshing if for just one term (or maybe just one issue) every party would just somewhat go along with a plan somewhat related to what the elected is directing toward. We elected them and the country will not spiral into oblivion with a government that at least attempts to work together for a change.

August 9, 2011 at 10:51 am |
  10. Derrick T

I'm so frustrated I don't know who to blame.

August 9, 2011 at 10:35 am |
  11. Bob G.

We Democrats need to form our own coalition, similar to the Tea Party, but with social issues as its raison d'etre! (LOL...I guess that would make us the Socialist Party!) 😉

August 9, 2011 at 5:07 am |
  12. karen robinson

Michelle Bachmann: did you forget that we started two wars based on lies; and, dah these wars were never paid for; prescription drug program not paid for; unregulated banking system, unregulated oil companies. My favorite phrase is "yellow cake".............don't you love it.

August 9, 2011 at 1:23 am |
  13. karen robinson

hey thanks STANDARD AND POOR; USA does it again causes the world to crash. Hey Tea Baggers, better start working on those 401 K's don't ya think. Get rid of your $1800/mo in Social Security and retire in high fashion with you 401k. Oh, and get rid of healthcare for regular folk; just healthcare, pension for Congressmen. Here we are in 60 countries with our military. Whoopee. That must cost something. USA is now a third world country..........look at the infrastructure in China, Singapore, Europe. What are we doing in Korea for 60 years? Iraq and Afghanistan for 10 years? We've only had 6k killed in the latest wars. Wonder what the death toll is for the countries we occupy?

August 9, 2011 at 1:15 am |
  14. Charley

Anderson,
    Why in the world is our U.S.Media not talking about TERM LIMITS! 1 term for senators & 2 for House members. This will stop the "superbowl" mentality and change Washington once and for all. It doesn't matter who is president...Congress is the one thing we've never changed! They are the one's who create the budgets, programs, and spend our money...all while they have health insurance and benefits better than the rest of Americans! Let's get this going...wake-up U.S. Media!

August 9, 2011 at 12:59 am |
  15. Karen Barbee

This blame game seems to be all Washington can do with any consistency lately. How do we send them the message to shut up and take care of the business that needs to be taken care like they should be doing. It angers me that these prima donna's are posturing for position and accomplishing nothing. Did they not get the message in the last election? They can easily be replaced!

August 8, 2011 at 11:15 pm |
  16. Mary Jane McCully

I hold congress responsible for this downgrade, and what they have let happen to milliions of people is inexcuseable, most especially because they have to have money to be in congress, they have great health insurance, they have wonderful pensions, and not to mention, when they leave office, they can work as lobbyists, or go on lecture tours. They do not represent me or millions of others, they are playing with peoples lives. I think we need to change how we pick our government representitives, take money out of the game.

August 8, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  17. Margaret mishra

Come on everyone enough fighting let's get together and work to save theUSA. I turn off the tv when everyone starts arguing. I am absolutely sick of the teen age sibling fighting

August 8, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  18. Corinne Lamour

Speaking of cutting entitlements, why don't we American people vote to stop lifelong benefits for our elected officials? I know of no job where you get lifelong benefits after working in a position for four years. Im so sick of this.Let Senators and Congressmen pay top dollar for crappy insurance and no retirement!

August 8, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  19. Anissa Love

instead of blaming each other (Both Republicans and Democrats, let all politicians live on10,000 per year, no healthcare and they cannot miss any mortgage payments or they lose their homes/card/ and every entitlement that they think they deserve!!!!!!!!!

August 8, 2011 at 10:31 pm |