Famine in East Africa: How you can help
August 8th, 2011

Famine in East Africa: How you can help

By Natalie Angley, CNN

(CNN) - Twelve million people are facing a hunger crisis in the Horn of Africa, and they are in desperate need of help.

The United Nations declared a famine in parts of southern Somalia, calling for a widespread international response to end the suffering.

Thousands of Somalis have been fleeing the country each week in search of food, water and shelter - many of them walking for days in the sweltering sun toward refugee camps in Kenya and Ethiopia.

Nearly half a million children are at risk of dying from malnutrition and disease.

Relief organizations are calling on the international community to join together to end the crisis, and they're working to gain entrance into areas with limited humanitarian access.

There are ways you can help.

FULL STORY

Filed under: 360° Radar • 360º Follow
  1. Ana Pazos

Anderson, the coverage of Somalia's food crisis and starving children was heartbreaking. It moved me into action right after seeing the show, I made some donation to World Food Programme. As you said in the show, it was the human thing to do. But I was left with this striking image of this little boy coming into the hospital seeking help after walking several days to get there. He could barely walk and was breathing with difficulty. By any chance did you learn the name of that little boy? I so want to pray for him specifically. And is there a way I can reach his family for financial support? Like a sponsor a child program to deal with the famine? I know that donating to the organizations is a way to reach him too. But he is in my heart, I got to ask you.

August 14, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  2. Darwin

Not to sound heartless, but what’s the point? These people live in a desert with no resources. It’s always going to be like this for them. With that bluntly honest fact out of the way, I repeat, what’s the point? We can’t possibly support an extra 12 million mouths to feed. If their conditions aren’t going to change are we going to continue taking care of them forever? Yes, Al Shabaab isn’t helping, but even if you take them out of the picture these people will still need aid…..probably forever. I’m not saying we should leave them to rot, but unless the initial issue is resolved nothing will change. We’ve been to the moon for Christ sake…..can we figure this out please! Start looking outside of the box. Can we educate them, build them buildings, and cultivate the soil? Stop throwing money at the problem and help them help themselves. If you give a man a fish you’ll feed him for a day. If you teach a man to fish you’ll feed him for a lifetime. If America is going to play world police can we at least do it in a way that doesn't stretch our resources thin and damage our economy? I just fear the day Americas economy collapses, because no one will come to our rescue when it does.

August 10, 2011 at 9:53 pm |
  3. robert nicoleau

Saw your story about the famine, i was upset knowing this the 21st century &yet we are still backward. Besides financial help, i wanted to share this link moringa livestrong.com ; this natural food substance is amazing with surpizing results on famine. I hope it will be of some help..

August 10, 2011 at 8:23 pm |
  4. Tracy Carpenter

We are each responsible for how we choose to respond to this tragedy. These children belong to us all. Let us choose to be the best that humanity can be. Choose to care.

August 9, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  5. m. cronin

Please post a link on this site for those of us who want to make a donation to relieve this terrible suffering of children and families in Somalia.

August 9, 2011 at 9:07 pm |
  6. Rob

Where is the U.N.? I read a news report saying 4 U.N. agencies had a combined 12.9 Billion dollars that they could not spend in 2009. Are you kidding me.....and one of the agencies is Unicef. An agency designed to help in this situation.

August 9, 2011 at 9:03 pm |
  7. Michael Kibler

It's our duty to dig deep and provide food and water for these human beings. Not doing so, would be a historical travesty...AMEN. Everyone unite and donate something! Everyone! Or would you rather play golf!

August 9, 2011 at 11:17 am |
  8. kinh Nguyen

How can I help without being scammed?

August 8, 2011 at 11:09 pm |
  9. Sheila Davis

Why is there no mention of climate change-induced drought as one of the causes of this tragedy? Meantime, commentators are stating that the U.S. debt crisis could be solved by increasing growth and reducing regulations on industry – the very thinking that has gotten us into this mess. Whatever happened to the goal of sustainability? We need to lower our rate of growth in both consumption and population in order to create a sustainable future for all of the world's people. We also need to change the way that we measure our well-being, away from GDP and toward some measurement that includes the cost of social catastrophes like this as well as the environmental losses in terms of both our human life support systems and those of our fellow creatures.

August 8, 2011 at 9:12 pm |
  10. Christan Torres

Its horrable to see babies sufering from malnutrition, specially when we live in a country were we throw away thousands of $$ on food a day! It doesnt matter what race of ethnic background they are from they are children whom need our help and as American s we should ask ourselves how can we help?? What can we do to save these poor babeis??? I would love to help them if anyone knows how we can donate please let me know!!!!

August 8, 2011 at 8:25 pm |
  11. Gil-Ann Wilder

This breaks my heart. We need to help more!!!! There are so many people in the USA that are struggling with obesity and across the world millions of people are dying of starvation? This should not be happening it's 2011!!! Every morsel of food I put in my mouth, every cup of water I drink, and every meal I eat, I wish I could hand to them. My prayers are with them every minute of the day. Something has got to change.

August 8, 2011 at 8:24 pm |