Debt 'Super Committee,' Super Mistake? : Join the Live Chat
August 2nd, 2011

Debt 'Super Committee,' Super Mistake? : Join the Live Chat

It's a done deal. President Obama has signed he debt ceiling bill into law. The next step: the creation of a so-called 'super committee' on Capitol Hill to come up with $1.5 trillion in cuts. Washington is going back to it's old favorite – a committee – to try to trim the deficit. We've been here before. We're Keeping Them Honest. Plus, the prosecution could rest tonight in the Warren Jeffs sexual assault trial. It's been another wild day in court, especially when the jury heard an audio tape in court today. Gary Tuchman will have a live report from San Angelo, Texas. Plus, see who we add to our RidicuList.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Lori - CA

Cute Rediculist Anderson! Thank you. It was a great show.

Good night Anderson. Sweet dreams.
    Good night Everyone. Sweet dreams.

August 2, 2011 at 10:59 pm |
  2. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Night Everyone! Well, I hate to see teachers dress down! I just do!

August 2, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
  3. Kelly, PA

Matt damon swore in front of his mom!

August 2, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
  4. Sharon Hastings

Good night everyone. Thanks for another great sharing of ideas. Love Matt Damon.

August 2, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
  5. Starr, formerly know as vincent

Thank you & good night Anderson & Team 360. I am looking forward to your show at 8pm EST. Will you do two shows, or will the 10 PM be a rerun of the 8PM? Good show tonight.

Good night fellow writers. Great conversation! As always, i wish you All a safe & peaceful da.y tomorrow.

Good for that Bobbie (cop)!

I LOve Matt Damon. Matt did smackdown that reporter! Good for him! And,.as always Anderson, your commentary is priceless. LOL on the floor! (And, good teachers Deserve decent pay!) Love the mom too.

August 2, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
  6. lisal -canada

wow – i loved team america

August 2, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  7. Emily

This is a great RicicuLIST, as always, Anderson! 😀
    Have a wonderful night, Anderson, Isha, & bloggers.

August 2, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  8. Grant

America is at a crossroads much larger than the debt ceiling. If we don't find ways to work together and create an efficient government. We could all lose or win but we have to do it together. I love this blog it is realistic and I can say im friends with both democrats and republicans. Thanks guy see you tommorow night.

August 2, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
  9. Debbie-AZ

What's to prevent this commission from ignoring their duty, allowing the across the board cuts? It's a win-win for both parties, as each can blame the other! Devious, butpossible?

August 2, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  10. Paula, Colorado

It's great to see the Ridiculist is back!

August 2, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  11. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I am happy to know that the officer is okay!

August 2, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
    • Lori - CA

Me too. That looked really bad.

August 2, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  12. Kelly, PA

I love matt damon!

August 2, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  13. Lori - CA

That is child abuse.

August 2, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  14. Sharon Hastings

I'm glad the Warren Jeffs issues are being dealt with. We turned a blind eye for too long.

August 2, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  15. lisal -canada

the tapes sound horrid.
    the premise of the dialogue might be fine if it was occurring between two consenting adults.

August 2, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  16. Starr, formerly know as vincent

Warren Jeffs is truly is "icky" & a definte pedophile!

Gary, "creepy" applies too. And the family considers it an "honor" to let you underage daughter "marry" Jeffs?

I am glad to hear the Jeffs was ignored with his so-called "sermon".
    Gary has done terrific reportin of Jeffs for years now – thank you Gary.

August 2, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
    • Emily

I think that the fact that Jeffs is using religion to hide behind the fact that he's "a definte pedophile" is really outrageous to me. Also, that these females are so trusting of what he's saying, and believe every word....Creepy!

August 2, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  17. Emily

The more that I find out about Warren Jeffs, the creepier he becomes.
    Gary is doing some great reporting.

August 2, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  18. Gretchen

I wonder where is the out-cry from the american tax payers about this warren jeffs and the rest of that cult being on welfare and food stamps.I don't understand why they have been allowed to collect off the tax payers and all the while molesting children.This is such an awful shame and as a taxpayer I don't appreciate my money going to those nuts and to their abuse of those poor children.shame on us all for not making our government stop this and stop our tax dollars from going to such groups.

August 2, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  19. Paula, Colorado

It's great the woman's husband in Syria was released and is safe.

August 2, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  20. Starr, formerly know as vincent

Loved the shot. Dogs rule! (and some cats too)

August 2, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  21. Sharon Hastings

Love Mischka the dog but that one was a stretch. Still love it though.

August 2, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  22. Lori - CA

I really like Mishka. That is Teddy Bear in Russian I think.

August 2, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  23. Emily

Interesting to see those stats about "The Tooth Fairy"...
    Anderson & Isha were very funny with that bit! 🙂

August 2, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  24. Lori - CA

Sad story about the Tooth Fairy. I used to go to the bank and get gold colored dollars for my son.

August 2, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  25. lisal -canada

that was a great piece of news about the activist and her husband

August 2, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  26. Emily

What happened in Syria is dehumanizing & tragic.
    I'm not at all surprised about it, yet shocked it was put online.
    It's good to see that the world can see what is happening to the people in Syria; that it is not all hidden.

August 2, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  27. Carrie

I trust the POTUS but not the GOPTee they wants to destroy our country, and that is a shame!

August 2, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
    • Cathy

What would be their motivation for destroying the country?

August 2, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
      • Grant

Thats not their motivation by why won't they work with me?

August 2, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
        • Cathy

Didn't they all work together somewhat even though quite ugly and ugly still. Since none received everything wanted, wasn't there some compromise?

August 2, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  28. Starr, formerly know as vincent

The video out of Syria is heartbreaking. Is there Anything We can do to truly affect the situation there.

Blessings to the woman who is so willing to give us reports out of Syria. Thank God her Husband is Home!!

I truly admire the courage & persistence of the People of Syria. May they finally gain the freedom that they are so valiently fighting for.

August 2, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
    • Grant

I've fought in both Iraq and Afghanistan and the only times it seems a positive move is made happens when elders (grandfathers) tire of seeing their children die. They set up neighborhood watches complete with high powered automatic weapons. We can not fix this only the people can and as they try to do it the peaceful way they are taking casualties. It's horrible however there is only so much help we can provide. At some point though we need to see ourselves as a global people of the earth and then we can move away from these demonic regimes.

August 2, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  29. Emily

Good evening Anderson & Bloggers.
    It's great that the government is not facing default this evening.
    I'm surprised that America doesn't have a country-wide consumption tax, yet.
    It seems like something has to be done with all the spending that is going on; the war(s), aging population, health, etc.

August 2, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
    • Grant

How about 12 percent on all things imported Applied to both the foreign element and the domestic putchaser.

August 2, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
      • Starr, formerly know as vincent

I really Like your idea!

August 2, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
      • Emily

Hi Grant!
        I know that there are issues with NAFTA that would have to be thought about, however, that is the sort of idea I was thinking about when I entered my comment..."something" is going to have to be done for both the People, and the Government, which of course, is the People!

August 2, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
        • Grant

Agreed Emily

August 2, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
      • Cathy

Might that not be a little tricky given how much we are in debt to China?

August 2, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Evening Emily. I agree about some kind of revenue is necessary. But a consumption tax? Of that, i am not so sure.

August 2, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
      • Emily

I'm not sure as to what it would be "called" ... I only said that to get the idea out there.
        There are countries when you purchase items, there is a country-wide tax you pay; 5% or such.
        Of course, State-taxes are different, and I know that some (or most) already have that, however, the Country on as a whole is going to have to do something. It's going to take a very selfless leader, thinking of the people to implement it.

August 2, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
        • Cathy

Even 1% would make a huge difference and it would allow everyone an opportunity to contribute, including the half of us who currently pay no federal income taxes as we discussed yesterday.

August 2, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
          • Emily

Exactly! Even 1% would be huge!!!
            I wonder just how much of a blow back Obama would face if he even suggested this, at 1%;
            (from other politicians and the people?)

August 2, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
            • Cathy

That's the problem; everything is political. If we all have to add 1% to our purchases, that could cost way too many votes. Just keep the wealthy as the whipping boy and there won't be many votes lost because almost none of us is wealthy. It's just that simple and we all suffer consequently.

August 2, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
        • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Hi Emily. I am already paying 8% tax in my area, high gast costs & high property taxes. I don't think i could afford another tax.
          I like Grant's idea re: imports & taxes.

August 2, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
          • Emily

Hi Starr!
            I know that many are paying lots in taxes already!
            There are also those who are not paying those taxes you mentioned as they don't fall into those brackets you mentioned. They would be paying more tax, and others might think before they purchase certain items. There are those issues with NAFTA, etc. to think about. Even 1% would be a huge boost to the economy

August 2, 2011 at 10:55 pm |
  30. Lori - CA

These war videos from Syria are very brutal.

August 2, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  31. Lori - CA

The jobs situation is very sad indeed. It shows a serious lack of ability to get an important job done. In my humble opinion, no one in Washington is working together well. I think President Obama will continue findng himself in a position of making compromises to save himself. He looks battle weary to me.

August 2, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
    • Sharon Hastings

I'm sure he is battle weary Lori. I'm not sure ANYONE in Washington knows what to do about jobs. Does anyone on the blog have ideas?

August 2, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  32. Tom K Frankfort NY

From this point on I hope that political leaders begin to exhibit a degree of economic intelligence that was absent in the debt ceiling debate. We are in an unprecedented economic era with the presence of China, India and Brazil in which traditional outlooks do not apply. Cutting spending and taxes and stimulus programs do not have the desired effect when our economy operates on a global level. Job growth will only occur when we can produce goods and services that can be sold in a global market. Trade deficits are the key measure.

August 2, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
    • Sharon Hastings

More and more lately the production of our goods occurs overseas and those jobs are lost to our economy. I'm afraid those jobs are lost for good and the trend continues. GE just announced they will be doing the same with a portion of their company. Couldn't believe it.

August 2, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  33. Paula, Colorado

The regime in Syria doesn't seem to want to resolve conflicts reasonably–they continue to resort to extreme and unnecessary violence.

August 2, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
    • Vince

It shows to what extremes these leaders are willing to go just to keep their seat of power – brutally killing their own people. Horrific!

August 2, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  34. lisal -canada

so does anyone else think the moniker "no-drama-obama" still applies?
    there certainly is a lot of drama, but who do you think actually are the drama-divas out there? the instigators?
    is obama responsible for the drama, directly? what about indirectly?

August 2, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
    • Grant

We are because we are tolerant of what theyt say and don't hold them accountable. I think we are afraid of sidong against them and lending the other side a victory. They are not going to change unless they think it jepordizes elections. I'm scared Mrs Bachman and I think she'll be the candidate. What to do, what to do?

August 2, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
      • Cathy

It's a little early but I don't think she will be the candidate.

August 2, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
        • Grant

Who do you like I thought McCain was a great candidate, now im not sure but Huntsman seems very serious and while I don't agree with Giulianni (Sorry if I misspelled that) he would get an amazing amount accomplished.

August 2, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
          • Cathy

Not really sure. I thought Huntsman would get more traction.

August 2, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  35. Grant

Imagine two fire companies arriving at a fire and spending so much time arguing about how to put out the fire they were only able to save the foundation of the house. Can any of them place blame or declare victory or even say we at least did our jobs?

August 2, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
    • Sharon Hastings

Excellent analogy.

August 2, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
      • Grant

Thanks Sharon.

August 2, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  36. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Our election polls are open every November!

August 2, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  37. Starr, formerly know as vincent

I agree with spending cuts Ari. However, firing too many people too soon in this economy will put even more people out of work. And, we need REvenues too!

I am also Tired of the word "entitlements". Soc. Sec. & Medicare are Benefits that We earned! I remember Large amts. of money out of my check towards to Benefits, Not entitlements.

August 2, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  38. Lori - CA

I am really glad that the debt ceiling will not ever be raised without spending cuts. That really makes sense.

August 2, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
    • Cathy

I agree. More importantly we need to focus on growing GDP which is really starting to slip again. We are on the verge of a double dip. Jobs would help tremendously.

August 2, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
      • Grant

But how do we do that it's like talking about lower gas prices it's great to say but how?

August 2, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
        • Cathy

We can't do it without the help of corporations and they don't seem bothered about their continued outsourcing. Additionally we need to place more emphasis on education; this, of course, will take some years. As we know, there are lots of jobs in engineering, etc., where we do not have candidates. Unemployment is double for those without degrees; we really can't blame corporations for that. We have to take some responsibility also.

August 2, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  39. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Jobs always come up when it's time for election, and then it goes away after election!

August 2, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
  40. lisal -canada

oh i was wondering just the other day about the syrian human activist and hoping she still had a voice and was able to communicate

August 2, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
  41. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! It's great to see you on.
    I'm glad–at least–the government isn't facing default tonight. The deal in one step forward, even if everyone is not optimistic about it.

August 2, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
  42. Sharon Hastings

Good evening everyone. Will the Super Committee work? Does anything work in Washington lately? There will be the same bickering and polarized views. I will try to be optimistic but it will be hard.

August 2, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
    • Grant

We democrats and republicans need to get together if we can't have townhall discussions amongst ourselves how can we expect congress to.

August 2, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
      • Sharon Hastings

Of course you're right Grant but here comes another big presidential election which will be very ugly I'm afraid and so the "getting together" probably won't happen anytime soon (at least with politicians). I think the average American can be respectful of other views and opinions but rarely does that happen in Washington.

August 2, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
      • Starr, formerly know as vincent

HiGrant, i'm sorry, but i can't get the visions of the town halls when Healthercare was debated. I remain doubtful that there will be a new and more cooperative Congress. But, i guess it could happen.

August 2, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  43. Starr, formerly know as vincent

Good evening Anderson & Team 360.

Hello blogger friends!

I have my doubts about this so-called "commission". Let us All hope that they don't repeat the behavior of the last several weeks.

August 2, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
    • Grant

I'm not so worried about the commision, we have had some great commisions over the last few years. My concern is what will congress do?

August 2, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
      • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Hi Grant – good point – i worry about that too.

August 2, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
  44. Grant

Good evening everyone including Carla Sharon Star Richard Cathy I was very motivated by the discussion last night both liberal and conservative views. As usual the people of this blog help restore my faith. What should we discuss tonight?

August 2, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Hi Grant. I too enjoy the diversity of conversation and ideas. That's why i almost always get on this blog!

August 2, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
  45. Lori - CA

Hi Anderson! Hi Everyone! Good evening.

August 2, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  46. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone! Greetings!

August 2, 2011 at 10:07 pm |