Boehner Plan Back to Drawing Board: Join the Live Chat
Tea party groups have been making their feelings known in Washington
July 26th, 2011

Boehner Plan Back to Drawing Board: Join the Live Chat

House Speaker John Boehner will be tweaking his deficit reduction plan after the Congressional Budget Office said its pledge to cut spending didn't add up. The vote on that plan has been pushed to Thursday. We'll have the breaking news. Plus, the jury is selected in Warren Jeffs' sexual assault case. We'll show you how the leader of a polygamist sect still has control in prison. Plus, a RidicuList classic.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. lisal -canada

ah – the true classics live on – nite all – great show with dr gupta tonight

July 26, 2011 at 10:59 pm |
  2. Sharon Hastings

Classic Ridiculist! And there are 2 more of those Kardashians in the wings (the younger sisters). Good night everyone. See you tomorrow.

July 26, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
  3. Emily

This RidicuLIST is priceless!!

July 26, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
  4. Nina

Good Night everyone. Have a wonderful evening.

Love the Ridiculist! Always end the program with a good laugh

July 26, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  5. Emily

Did I hear that Dr. Gupta said that Kris Jenner is looking how to basically exploit her children in the media?

July 26, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
  6. Grant

Good night friends see you tommorow 😉

July 26, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
  7. Starr, formerly know as vincent

Thank you and good night Sanjay & Team 360 – terrific show tonight.

Good night fellow writers, as always i wish you a safe & peaceful day tomorrow.Really terrific writing tonight!!

As always, the Ridiculist remains my favorite & Anderson's comments are hilarious. I remember this "butt" re-run.

July 26, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
  8. Emily

It's so hard to believe that a 14yr old was found guilty of those crimes!! I would never have thought of doing such horrific crimes, and at 14?! That never would have even entered my mind, now, and certainly not at that young age.

July 26, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  9. Kaytee

I've said before and I'll say it again – the Republicans have only one goal in mind "making Obama a one term president". They had the gall to tell us that this was their main goal and now they are showing us that they do not care about the country, they only care about making the president look bad. I am hoping the "American people" that they are always referring to see exactly what they are doing.

July 26, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Terric comment! And likely true! Hopefully the American people are not that "fickle" as the Rep's think.

July 26, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
  10. Emily

I heard that there is this huge bidding war to interview not only Casey Anthony but also her parents.
    That's so sad, that money would be paid to interview these people. I think it diminishes journalists and journalism.

July 26, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
    • Nina

If Americans would NOT watch it or read the article, this type of journalism would end quickly.

July 26, 2011 at 10:55 pm |
  11. Emily

Listening to Michael talking about Warren Jeffs and what this 18yr old girl has been raised to believe is really horrifying!

July 26, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  12. Ken - Las Vegas NV

If the congress can't get a deal made that makes sense, i.e. cuts, raise revenue and raise debt ceiling, congress ought to be fired, impeached or whatever. New elections held and there can not be any incumbent allowed to run, whether they are newly elected or been there for 40 years.

July 26, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
    • Sharon Hastings

I share your frustration Ken. Well, we haven't had a good "march on Washington" in quite a while. Maybe we need to gas up the buses!

July 26, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
      • Kaytee

I agree Sharon.

July 26, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
      • Grant

The military won't give me that kind of time I'll stick to the blog I guess.

July 26, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
      • Nina

There is a gathering set for October 6th in Washington. For Gay rights and the economy

July 26, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  13. Sharon Hastings

Warren Jeffs should be locked up for the rest of his life and the other "husbands" rounded up and put in jail too.

July 26, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  14. Starr, formerly know as vincent

Hi DebHk. Excellent post!!

July 26, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  15. Starr, formerly know as vincent

Jeffs should be put in Isolation- No Phone Cards!!

$3000-4000 on phone calls. He has No business "running" his so-called church.
    And, given the "diary" he submitted, he should be kept from society for the rest of his life!

As always, great report by Gary!

July 26, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  16. Ryan

The question is not if any of the plans put forward can be passed but if any of them are worth doing? A two trillion dollar reduction in the debt means that the 54% of Americans who actually pay net income tax are on the hook for 68k each instead of 74K in addition to the annual budget. I do find it odd that ac360 led with the flooded switchboard story without mentioning the fact that call volume today peaked at about 65% of the volume received during the obamacare debate nor did the story mention for/against ratio. Could it be that someone found those results as inconvenient as the 80% opposed that were logged for that legislation but scarcely mentioned on air?

July 26, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
    • Grant

I don't think current healthcare reform is what it needs to be but it does begin to move us away from medicare in the long term (at least in my opinion). Health care reform has been on the minds of liberals as long as defecit reduction has been for the conservatives. We have to deal with this and so much more the bottom line democrats will never leave the young or old without some kind of plan. The current incarnation begins to put the onus on parents but if you want that debate... well were going to have to compromise...

July 26, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  17. Sharon Hastings

Those dogs are hysterical! I just love dogs–yay, he got the pool inside. They are so smart. My dog gives me such joy I can't believe it.

July 26, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Hi Sharon, i agree. I have two very smart dogs. They truly amaze me at times with their clever antics

July 26, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
    • Emily

Hi Sharon,
      I agree! That was such a cute video with the dog(s) trying bring that pool into the house.

July 26, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  18. Saray

Imagine how manny other things could have been done in last month or more while they play around. Don't they realize that we the people default on daily basis? My company is closing in Dec. and moving to China. I haven't heard about job creation in forever. When will that come up? I wonder how many people simply do not care if deal is struck since it can't get much worse for them...

July 26, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  19. Starr, formerly know as vincent

I think the terrible incident in Norway demonstrates how "divided" the Global community is!!

July 26, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
    • Nina

And a large number of extremists willing to kill!

July 26, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  20. Jared

This news that Bohner's plan is going nowhere is welcome news, the House Republicans should demand REAL cuts and not just cutting the expected increase in spending growth over the next ten years. Bohner's plan amounted to nothing but fake cuts. Any indication of fake cuts should remind Republicans of the 2011 budget deal that was supposed to amount to billions of dollars but rather due to Washington fuzzy math only amounted to a matter of millions of dollars. Also any criticism that the treasury department's August 2nd deadline is artificial seems to be true now that they are saying that August 10th is the NEW date when America COULD default.

July 26, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  21. Andrew

I think the "Best Team" is far from earning that title. During the discussion on the why the "GOP would not declare victor and go home" both were obviously very afraid of stating that Mitch McConnell today said the GOP would not raise the debit limit beyond the election because it might help Obama get re-elected. Talk about putting Party before Country. I guess both Borger and Gergen were afraid if they said something they might be (a) considered liberal media or (b) miss out on some Georgetown cocktail parties. My guess is probably both but the American people deserve to hear such truths from "the Best Team." Very disappointing.

July 26, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  22. Nina

Breaks my heart that someone could actually gun down almost 80 teenage children :~(

July 26, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
    • Grant

I've never heard of one man being able to go on such a large shooting spree. When your frustrated with your beleifs there are many ways to deal with it but for someone to want to use terror to send a message or make a point... It is truly sad.

July 26, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
      • Sharon Hastings

Yes, Grant, this was partly due to the fact that the Special police force did not get to that island for 90 minutes so that guy had an hour and a half to systematically shoot people. They really fumbled the ball but partly due to the bomb that exploded down town, but that bombed killed 3 people versus him shooting 68 kids on that island.

July 26, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
        • Nina

The Bomb might have been a distraction so he could carry out his killing spree. Unbelievably sad! This is Norway's 9/11

July 26, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
    • Vince

Indeed Nina, It does break my heart! Much strength and prayers for their families.

July 26, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  23. emma

Why is S&P allowed to weigh in on this debate? Why would anyone trust them about anything? They are the people who were in bed with the "too big to fail" financial institutions, falsely rating the wild and whacky mortgage derivatives that led to the 2008 melt down. Who is paying them for this scare mongering?

July 26, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
  24. Sharon Hastings

Seems like that proposal that the President and Boehner were working on at the White House–the one Boehner ultimately walked out on–was so fair and closer than any of these others at being a serious plan. Makes you think the Republicans don't want a plan at all of any kind that has a prayer of passing in Congress.

July 26, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Hello again Sharon. I totally agree with you. I do not feel that the President is trying desparately to get a "reasonable" plan with cutss & revenue! I hope they will meet again and the House & Senate will pass that bill!

July 26, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
    • Nina

My understanding is within the 14th amendment, President Obama can pay America's bills (debts).

July 26, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  25. Starr, formerly know as vincent

I am on Social Security and even i'm willing to receive a decrease in pay IF the Gov. uses it to Pay Down Debt!

We also Need "revenues". If I am willing to takes less in SSI, then the RICH people should absolutely be willing to pay more in taxes!

July 26, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
    • Nina

Thank You Starr for your generosity! However, I feel the wealthy need to pay as much per capita as we do, in taxes.

July 26, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
    • Sharon Hastings

Well said Starr. Have you noticed that the Democrats don't say "taxes" but call them revenues and the Republicans don't say rich people but call them "job creators". Does that mean that all rich people are job creators?? I can safely say that I am NOT a job creator and I don't mind contributing to revenues.

July 26, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
      • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Nina, thank you for your comment.

Sharon, thank you for being willing to "pay" more. And, NO, i do not believe that the wealthy are "job creators". If they were, Where are the Jobs??

July 26, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  26. Nina

I wonder how much does the "Norquist pact" affects the GOP?

July 26, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Hi Nina. In answer to your qustion, A LOT. He is reported to have signed "pledges" from much of the GOP locked in a safe and only releases copies of these pledges.
      I think his plan is to use the signed "pledges" against Any GOP member who does Not follow through with the pledge they signed!

July 26, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  27. Starr, formerly know as vincent

The answer is still NO??

Please keep talking people, please keep calling & writing. It may not seem that it makes a difference, but this time it is my greatest hope that a plan will appear at the 1th hour.

I think & hope that the House will see what NOT passing a reasonable bill to raise the debt ceiling will cause! (Senators too).

July 26, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
    • Nina

I completely Agree, Starr. Now is the time for "Action" I am sure the individuals who took my phone calls were not happy with my confrontations and unwillingness to back down.

July 26, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
      • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Hi Nina, Good for You!!

July 26, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  28. MaryBeth

So, no vote until Thursday? At the earliest?

July 26, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Hi MaryBeth. That "no" vote is only for Boehner's plan!

July 26, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
      • MaryBeth

Right, but not until Thursday, right? I'm slightly confused.

July 26, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
        • Nina

I also get confused with Congress voting procedures.

July 26, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
        • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Yes, the reporting is that his bill will be voted on Thursday. It is all so confusing except the reality of failure to compromise!

July 26, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
  29. Sharon Hastings

Good evening everyone. I was one who could not get through to my Representative. Internet site down, phone constantly busy or not working at all, fax not working, snail mail is too slow–carrier pigeon??? Probably too slow too. I heard alot of servers were down. I will continue to try. This is so serious. At first I thought this was just like all the other games played in Washington but this time is different and it's scary.

July 26, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
    • MaryBeth

I had to keep reloading the page after I wrote my email because the server was so busy. I still have to write my senator.

July 26, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Hi Sharon. Good for you!! Please keep trying! It is so important.

July 26, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
    • Grant

After this week I'm going to make it a point to write a couple of times a month to both parties. They need to be reminded of who they work for.

July 26, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
      • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Hi Grant. I like you idea and hope that you will follow through. I have been writing on the order of every 6 weeks, depending upon the issue.

July 26, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  30. Nina

Good question Sanjay. Why is there a problem with raising the debt. Reagan raised it 13 times and Bush raised it 7.

July 26, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  31. Starr, formerly know as vincent

Good evening Sanjay & Team 360.

Hello blogger friends!

I think it is the best Irony that Speaker Boehoner's spending "cuts" plan was Not Enough!! That makes me laugh!
    The lack of a vaible plan to raise the debt ceiling however, does NOT!

July 26, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  32. Nina

Good Evening Everyone and Nice to see Dr. Sanjay Gupta here tonight

Nice to see Americans taking an active part. I emailed both Senators and my district congressman along with phone calls :~)

July 26, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Evening Nina. Thank you, Thank you,Thank you!

July 26, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
      • Nina

Evening Starr Your Welcome, Your Welcome, Your Welcome 🙂

July 26, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
    • Sharon Hastings

Good news, I just checked the site again and it's now back up so I hope I can get an email through. Everyone keep trying! I'll try the phone number again too.

July 26, 2011 at 10:11 pm |