July 20th, 2011

Debt Deadlock: Join the Live Chat

We have breaking news on debt negotiations. Top Republicans and Democratic leaders each paid a visit to the White House today. Sources tell CNN's Jessica Yellin that there's real concern in Washington that even a compromise deal might not make it through the House. She'll have a live report from the White House. Plus, we continue our series 'Con Men' with a look at the so-called 'Barefoot Bandit.' And, tonight's other headlines.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Emily

Wonderful show, Dr. Gutpa, Isha, & Bloggers.
    Love that RidicuLIST! Missing, Anderson!

July 20, 2011 at 10:59 pm |
  2. Grant Gibson

Good night everone, I look forward to hearing from you all tommorow.

July 20, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
  3. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night Sanjay, everyone and my friends!!!!!!!
    See you later, Have a great night & Sleep tight everyone!!!
    Miss you, when I will come back my recovery!!! 🙂

July 20, 2011 at 10:55 pm |
  4. Emily

I can't believe that the FT. Hood case still has yet to be resolved!

July 20, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  5. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Oh my gosh!!!!!! That's so danger shot I have seen!!!!! I am glad he is fine!!!!!!!! I love "The Shot" when he raced motorcross goes jump high and slam the ground, He is so lucky man!!!!

July 20, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  6. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Most people polled feel that a mix of spending cuts and tax increases are what we need. I wonder what the polls would say if they asked about increasing YOUR taxes, and not just those of the rich, who already pay a disproportionately high amount. I bet the percentage wanting tax increases drops like a rock. It's easy to advocate raising other people's taxes.

July 20, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  7. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good cause for NFL now sue against others...... I agree with them what they said,

July 20, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  8. Cindy Locklin

Since when is social security and medicare entitlements? Most people I know worked for both of those. Welfare is an entitlement, unearned. Why is no one suggesting we remove the income limit on social security deductions so all people regardless of income level contribute the same percent? And folks with jets and other large tax credits are not the job creators. Job Creators are small business owners like myself that provide 80% of the jobs in the country and we try to take care of employees rather than make 50 or 100 times more than our employees. As for the debt, the US should pay their bills when due just as businesses and individuals should and if the debt ceiling is not raised we can not pay our bills. With that our credit rating drops, interest rates increase leading to increases in prices across the board, more difficulty in borrowing, more foreclosures yet, a greater recession and less jobs. Who does not get this? Those that don't get that the debt ceiling must be raised are playing with all our lives and I hope everyone then gets that those folks need to be run out of Washington! The bottom line is many of our legislators look out for themselves first and they have the pension for life and make the big bucks so how much do they really care about the average American?

July 20, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  9. miguel

I keep hearing the republicans saying "don't tax job creators",but my question for them is,where are the jobs that these people they are steadfastly protecting,produced or created.If they were creating jobs,the country would not be in such a bind,and people would have JOBS.The fact is that with all the tax breaks and loopholes they have been enjoying all these years,they have failed to create a comensurate amount of JOBS,so how are they now going to suddenly create these JOBS.Just doesn't make sense to me.

July 20, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  10. Emily

That should be interesting to hear what you think of what is going on in the NFL, Dr. Gupta!
    After all, are these players not aware of the possible hazards to their chosen career?

July 20, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  11. Mary

Just curious.... Where in America would a nurse's salary added to a fireman's salary add up to more than $250,000 per year?

July 20, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  12. Ayanna Tuitt

Carly stated that a fireman and nurse making 250K raising two children don't feel rich now. It seems that she is siding with not raising taxes for the rich. I am a school teacher with a masters degree and almost finished with my specialist degree. I don't see anyone giving me a tax break. I have a child entering college this fall who did not receive enough school aid. So guess what? I had to come up with that money. Give those of us that work just as hard as the rich a break as well. We can really benefit from a tax break !!!

July 20, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  13. Justin

It is clear that the Republicans have refused to work with the President even on the issues they once supported. They don't want to see this president succeed. They clearly have refused on any form of compromise; and for anyone especially the news media to pretend not to notice, is a shame. Soon and I mean very soon, these bigots will come around and apologize to the President and to the American People about their shameful behaviors. God is watching!!

July 20, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  14. Emily

Is the LGBT Community, the ones to suffer the bullying & abuse today, that those in the Black/African American Community did to an extent at one time?

July 20, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  15. Sharon Hastings

Of course bullying was a huge factor in the suicides. These are young teenagers whose lives were made totally miserable by these bullying students. School is the biggest part of their lives. They spend all day there. Obviously many other students and many teachers I'm sure knew about this. While it would be nice if there was acceptance and open mindedness about sexual orientation, bullying remains the biggest problem.

July 20, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  16. Jon MI

@ don
    you are so right! I have been asking this since we extended the Bush tax cuts – if it was so critical these cuts stay in place why has employment not moved since the "uncertainty" was erased?

They definitely want the best of both worlds...complain about people who need some sort of benefit whether it is SSDI, unemployment, head start programs, food stamps – you name it, but they are more than willing to have me and my family subsidize the interest they pay on loans for vacation homes, boats, RVs, planes – any item they can take out a loan on.

Where is the logic? I can't afford a second home, boat, RV, plane but I am helping people who earn more than I do pay for theirs!!!

July 20, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  17. Emily

I think that bullying has gotten much worse since the internet and Facebook, as people can remain anonymous and hide behind their cowardly words.

July 20, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  18. Gretchen

This is just what we deserve,americans got so caught up in the media push of the non-established "tea-party",they voted these pledgers in office now they are sitting back watching our nation crumble.The president said he would cut entitlements,but don't rise taxes on the very wealthy,and don't close tax loop-holes,this is a war,the rich verses the middle class and poor.the middle class has always paid more taxes,so have the working poor.where is the compassion ,where is the patriotism in this nation to take care of our own.People who are on the poor list not only include people who get welfare,but it also includes our soldiers, teachers,small business owners,retired seniors etc All these people need help from our government,all these people have very small salaries.If a teacher or a nurse is paying more in taxes than a ceo of a major corporations,that is just unfair and wrong.Also if the wealthy that has been receiving all these tax cuts since the Bush administration,why have more jobs been out-sourced? I thought the wealthy were job creators,again that's another lie being told daily by the right wing machine. pledge

July 20, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
    • Cathy

It's highly unlikely that the working poor are paying federal income taxes. Almost 50% of us pay no federal income taxes so one would think that 50% would include the working poor.

July 20, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  19. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good for them to plan sue district school in Minnesota..........

July 20, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  20. Michael Jensen

CarlyFiorina led off her comments on tax increases for the wealthiest by claiming that "a nurse and a firefighter" would be among households making more than $250,000 who wouldn't view themselves as wealthy. She's right about the last part of that: the average salary for a nurse is $78,000 and the average salary for a firefighter is a little over $40,000 ... so the average household income for this couple would be under $120,000 or less than half the $250k tax increase threshold. We need honest debate, not blatant misinformation.

July 20, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  21. don

I just heard that you can't tax the rich because they are the Job Creators, well my questions is why aren't they creating jobs now because they already have the tax breaks. It's seems to me that they are wanting the best of both worlds..it's kind of like double dipping..they save money because they are not taxed.. and they save money by not creating jobs..
    I should have it so lucky while living on my SSDI

July 20, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I agree with you, That's my point exactly!!!!!

July 20, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  22. Jon MI

What planet is Carly Fiorini living on?

A fire fighter and a nurse earning $250k annually??? I suppose they hang out all summer long with their overpaid millionaire teacher friends out in the Hamptons and sail around the world in their yachts that REAL middle class families subsidies w/ tax breaks!

July 20, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
  23. Mike Wheatley

Although I hate to admit it, we are going to have to raise taxes on everyone to get us out of this deep hole that Washington has dug. The problem I have with allowing them to do it now is giving more money to those who are irresponsible with what they have already been given is just plain stupid. So Washington, put your house in order first – which means cuts that actully do something – then come knocking at our wallets.

July 20, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
    • Cathy

We should have a national sales tax so that everyone contributes something which is far from the case now.

July 20, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  24. sergio santana

Can Ms. Fiorina point to a firefighter or teacher that makes 250k a year?

July 20, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  25. Rahul

Carly stated $200K, followed by "a Nurse and a Fireman..." I don't know of any Nurse and Fireman who could make $200K together. Probably more like $120K – $140K, combined, even in the NY suburbs.

July 20, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
    • Mike, formerly from Syracuse

If you've been a fireman or cop in a large city for a while, you easily make more than $100,000. A nurse will easily get $50,000 in a large city as well.

July 20, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
      • Mary

Still doesn't add up to $250,000

July 20, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
      • Emily

Depending on how high in the Police Force, and if you were a Nurse Practitioner vs. a Registered Nurse.

July 20, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
      • Gretchen

it's just too bad that theses large cities that pay all this money are letting go of firefighters police officers,etc and hospitals are also cutting cost. over working their nurses and also under staffing.

July 20, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  26. Christine

Did Carly Fiorina really just say a married couple who are a nurse and firefighter make $250,000 per year? What world does she live in??

July 20, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
    • Emily

"Did Carly Fiorina really just say a married couple who are a nurse and firefighter make $250,000 per year?"
      I think that Carly Fiorina lost all creditability with that statement!

July 20, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  27. Staci

How hard does it have to be cut what is not necessary. I just dont get this. Stop with the unnecessary spending. It does not take rocket science.

July 20, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  28. emelyn

It's soo frustrating to listen to this "job creator" non-sense. Can we go back to our unemployment rate, or even closer to home...our friends who are job-less. These so called job creators are cutting jobs while saving their own and pocketing all their tax-breaks. Meanwhile, job-cut Americans hit the unemployment line to collect a minimum check that is also taxed.

July 20, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  29. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooooo everyone and Sanjay!!!!
    Oh no!!!!! That is not good news for me hear that not enough vote looks now debt deadlock!!!!!!! Yikes!!!!!!

July 20, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  30. Sharon Hastings

Good grief. The Republicans must have gotten the memo telling them that they can't say "wealthy or rich", they have to call them job creators. What a joke. These job creators aren't creating any jobs now so that clearly isn't the problem. If lower taxes which they have enjoyed for some time now equaled more jobs, that would be great, but it hasn't.

July 20, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good point there, I agree with you, Sharon!

July 20, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
    • Cathy

If you want the public behind you, it's smart to constantly refer to millionaires and billionaires since only a very small percentage of us are millionaires or billionaires. If the majority of votes instead of a small number of votes, I think we'd hear some different language. Right now, the upper 1% pay 40% of our federal taxes.

July 20, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
    • Mike, formerly from Syracuse

You got a tax break too with the Obama (formerly Bush) tax cuts. Why should you keep yours?

July 20, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  31. Sharon Hastings

Good evening everyone and to Sanjay Gupta and to Anderson wherever you are. I am now firmly a believer that the newbies most recently elected in the House, "the new freshmen", are the biggest part of the problem in negotiations. I don't think they correctly read the voters who voted them in. Compromise is necessary. Their Republican constituents (most of them) know that. What can be done?? I hope their party can straighten them out.

July 20, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
    • Rich

The wealthy do not create jobs. Jobs are created by small businesses and corporations. The wealthy may own them, but your average wealthy person is not out there giving people jobs. Companies are refusing to hire people and are defying the economic historical trend in this country because they want to elect the new president. Demand for goods are up, companies are making profits but by refusing to reinvest your profits into new jobs the economy suffers and the average american will blame the current admiinistration. How else could explain this: Last year GE paid no taxes. Last year GE made a $15 billion profit. Last year GE cut its workforce by 5.5% after their profits were disclosed. It makes no sense. Jobs will come back to our country on the Wed. after the first Monday in Novemeber 2012, or the day after the election when big companies have chosen our next government.

July 20, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  32. Grant Gibson

I literally cut 550 dollars from my budget this week... Beat that Washington!

July 20, 2011 at 10:04 pm |