GOP Debt Plan Approved By House, Pres. Obama Praises Different Proposal: Join the Live Chat
July 19th, 2011

We have breaking news from Capitol Hill. The House has passed the "cut, cap and balance" deficit reduction plan backed by tea party conservatives but dismissed by President Barack Obama, who offered strong praise for another proposal put together by a bipartisan group of senators. We'll have the Raw Politics. Plus, Japan blocks the sale of meat from farms near the crippled nuclear power plant. And, we begin a new series 'Con Men.' We'll look at imposter Clark Rockefeller and what police say are his web of lies.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Nancy in Oregon

Good night, people. Thank you, Sanjay.

July 19, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  2. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I love streaming live mobile...........Coool!!!!!!!
    Good night Sanjay, everyone and my friends!!!!!!!
    See you tomorrow night, Have a great night & Sleep tight everyone!!!

July 19, 2011 at 10:55 pm |
  3. Nancy in Oregon

Vicks speaking against dog fighting. Not sure what to honestly make of that.

July 19, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  4. Nancy in Oregon

Remarkable, how long imposters can pursue their fictions!

July 19, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I agree, Nancy..... he cons or fool all of us, he lied to everyone including his ex-wife, too!!!! That is outraged for me he cons somewhere place.

July 19, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
      • Nancy in Oregon

People like that must get more 'charge' out of living and perpetuating lies than they do out of living who they truly are. Strange.

July 19, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  5. Vince

Hello everyone,

Besides the meat products from Japan, I was wondering about the seafood products as well, in terms of any restrictions to some extent.

July 19, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good question Vince......
      Japan bans fish, beef, milk or more I think that will be salmon or something like that.

July 19, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  6. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Cool!!!!!!!! I love "The Shot" Paco chases 2 robbers....... Paco is my hero!!!!!!! Good job Paco!!! I hope that I will vote best in the year our heroes! 🙂

July 19, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
    • Nancy in Oregon

It'd be funny if the man, trying to shoot the little dog around his ankles, shot himself!!

July 19, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  7. javier

We cannot pay off our debt without cutting spending and raising taxes. And please, i am from Texas, but please, please don't elect another Texan(Perry) to the white house. The GOP ridicules poor ethnic minorities that get pregnant when they're not married or too young, while rich white teenage girls get a book deal.

July 19, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  8. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Oh boy!!! I agree Japan bans beef of radioactive!!!!!! That's so sad!

July 19, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  9. Grant Gibson

I am tired of democrat and republican politicians and it seems many others are ready to move away from both parties. They are just so busy bickering forget about those of the fols in the middle. Details are derailing what could be historic. If the parties can not get themselves together then I am not voting

July 19, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
    • Nancy in Oregon

If that kind of 'problem solving' occurs within a family, the family is called 'dysfunctional'!! If two kids try to resolve things these ways, their parents and teachers scold them. Yet grown men and women at the top of the heap seem to find it the way to proceed-it boggles my mind!

July 19, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  10. Kevan Beck - Sikeston, Missouri

Lets take away the salaries and benefits of Congress, House of Rep., and they will get on the ball and get something done. And dont let them have their money and benefits back. Let them work like the rest of us, and live on what we make. It is hard here in Southeast Missouri.

July 19, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

That's good point there, I agree with your comment.... I want to stop holding ours........ Keep away from congress who have greed their own!

July 19, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  11. Steven Price Sr

Teammates,

I am 51 year old Disabled Veteran. I can gaurantee you that if they hold my Social Security benefits... There will hell to pay for the US Government! I fought and worked for 35 years to get these benefits... They are asking for a Civil War!

July 19, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Steven,
      I also deaf and disabled too.... You're right. They will not holding your beliefs or Social Security for sure..... I know why all people are frustrating about anything to cut SSI or Medicare as well.

July 19, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  12. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Wow!!!! I am suprised he brought pie almost slam Rupert's face!!!!!!

July 19, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
    • Nancy in Oregon

I am glad it was only a pie. We don't need another news story about violence. I think I'm also getting really tired of people heckling, throwing tomatoes, etc., as a form of expression.

July 19, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
      • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hi Nancy........
        Yes, I agree with you......., That will not happen again...... no one use that pie or hecklers or whatever.......

July 19, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
        • Nancy in Oregon

It's such an attention-seeking way to 'express' oneself...so dishonest, I think.

July 19, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
          • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

True, Nancy........ That is so dishonest person I have see him as well.

July 19, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
            • Nancy in Oregon

He sounds like a self-promoter to me.

July 19, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
              • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

July 19, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  13. Matt Myers - San Antonio, TX

The GOP does not understand anything, when they say that this can be solved without adjusted taxes on the wealthy back to normal levels AT LEAST. A combination plan is best, coming from a person that just graduated with a degree in Economics. John Boehner says that we cannot afford to make it any harder for those barely getting by as is, but the democrats are only talking about raising taxes on those DEFINITELY making $$$. Sorry for the lack of grammatical structure, but I'm out...this is so frustrating...

July 19, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yes! That's right...... Good point, Me too.... I also out!

July 19, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  14. Gretchen

It's so hard to believe,that so much creedence is given to the non-established "tea Party",I mean really would the black panther party be considered a real party to allow their points of view to run our government.I don't think so,just like they were a radical group with strong political views about how the government should be run ,we did not allow that radical group to push policy,,so why now are we about to allow so called tea party elected people to run our nation into a fatal economic situation.Raise the debt ceiling already,stop this immature political posturing..As americans we don't want to see our nation crumble because of a pledge not to raise taxes on the wealthy

July 19, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
    • Nancy in Oregon

I hear you, Gretchen. Fringe 'parties' really do not represent as many people as they posture about doing.

July 19, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  15. Al

The Republican measures are pretty stern, but what are the Dems offering? More cash giveaways to the very rich and the poor, at the expense of the shrinking middle class?

Taxing the rich sounds good (if you're not rich), but it doesn't come close to covering Obama's incredible spending. Cutting aid to the poor sounds harsh, but so far the fed gov't won't even allow the states to do means testing on Medicaid (see Illinois...) to see who actually qualifies, and the fraud is pervasive. What other option is there?

July 19, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Al,
      Good point there!!! I think you are right, That is harsh right now against Democrats!

July 19, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
  16. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

That's right James C!!!!! I agree with you!!!! 🙂

July 19, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
  17. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooooo everyone and Sanjay!!!!
    Happy Tuesday night!!!!!
    Oh no!!!!!!! That is so unacceptable to pass!!!!!!!!! Shame on GOP!!!!! I hope Senators or president Obama will veto!!!!!!!

July 19, 2011 at 10:05 pm |