July 18th, 2011

U.K. phone-hacking scandal engulfing Murdoch's media empire?: Join the Live Chat

Could the phone-hacking scandal engulfing politics and media in the U.K. topple media titan Rupert Murdoch? Join us tonight for a discussion of Murdoch’s troubles with Brian Stelter of the New York Times and CNN’s Jeffrey Toobin and Matthew Chance.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Sharon Hastings

Good night everyone. Great chatting with you all. Thanks to John King and team 360 for a good show.

July 18, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
  2. Paula, Colorado

Sorry John King! Interesting program tonight.

July 18, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
  3. Lori - CA

Strap her to the front of the train. Don't they have a seat at the front for the well educated people?

July 18, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
  4. Sharon Hastings

That lady on the train needs a "time out" for that behavior–whoops, too much time spent with my little grandkids–but that's what she sounds like–a three year old.

July 18, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
  5. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night John, everyone and my friends!!!!!!!
    See you tomorrow night, Have a great night & Sleep tight everyone!!!

July 18, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  6. Starr, formerly know as vincent

Thank you and good night John King & Team 360 Great show.

Good night fellow writers. I wish you a safe & peaceful day tomorrow.

The video of the family in the water was heartbreaking.

Ridiculit: Love it! I remember this one. John, thank you for the re-run – it still cracks me up!! LOL rolling on the floor, again.

July 18, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  7. Starr, formerly know as vincent

Sad, but true, i don't believe that Palin knows what will come out of her mouth at anytime too.

July 18, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
    • Nina

lol Starr. That is because her mouth is often engaged when her brain is not!

July 18, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  8. Sharon Hastings

Seems like we don't hear much from Romney, the supposed front runner for the GOP. Does he just lay back hoping to make no mistakes by talking (like Bachmann and Palin)??

July 18, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Hi Sharon. I agree with your post. He has not had much press out here in NM.

I think he is concentrating of the primary states (NH< Iowa, SC).

July 18, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  9. Starr, formerly know as vincent

And, i have "a calling" to possibly not vote for him.

That kind of statement could hurt him in the General election.

July 18, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  10. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

John,
    I agree with Starr, That's great to buy ticket for your son!!!!!! Excellent! 🙂

July 18, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  11. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I have seen many times Harry Potter in the movie!!!!! 🙂

July 18, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  12. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

OMG!!!!!!!! I love that!!!!!!!! LOL!!!! Good one caption, Simon!!!!!!!!!!!!!

July 18, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  13. Starr, formerly know as vincent

John King you don't need a want, you do just fine with you pen & especially your interviewing talent.

It was also nice to hear that you gave your ticket to your son – you're a good dad too.

July 18, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Starr,
      I agree with you......... He is best father he have son!!!!!!

July 18, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
      • Nina

I agree. I think John King is very talented and an excellent interviewer not to mention a wonderful dad!

July 18, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  14. Nina

The Egyptian military is heavily involved in business. For this reason, Egypt's military is much different than other countries in the middle east.

July 18, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  15. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

John,
    Thanks for many federals, Goverments, and more ..... should have spending more than we do......That will be surprise!

July 18, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  16. Sharon Hastings

I am understanding that we absolutely have to raise the debt limit now but then what??? Do we just keep raising it again and again. Doesn't it have to stop somewhere?

July 18, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Good evening Sharon. Hopefully, Congress would then continue to work on significant cuts on Fed. spending and raise taxes for those who can afford it. I say Hopefully.

July 18, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  17. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Mark Meckler....
    No! I don't think so!!!!!!!! I am sorry I am also disagree with you..... we don't want to cut our healthcare or Social Security!!!!!!!!

July 18, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
    • Nina

I agree with you Megan. Plus Americans paid into social security. It was taken out of our paychecks over the years we worked. Cutting Social security would be like people working without being paid! Same analogy

July 18, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
      • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I agree with you, Nina...... That will be more disaster for disableds, seniors and military!!!!!!!!

July 18, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  18. Sharon Hastings

Part of the problem is that our elected members of congress are so afraid of making a decision that would be unpopular with their constituients and cause them to not be re-elected. It makes me feel hopeless that any of these tough decisions can be made. Also, I sometimes think that most of them have no idea what to do. It's criminal that we have gone this long without a budget, balanced or otherwise.

July 18, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good point there, Sharon, I agree.

July 18, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  19. Starr, formerly know as vincent

I have NO problem with a balanced budget ammendment. However, Now is Not the time!

The Congress needs to raise the debt ceiling, like it or not, before the US economy crashes even more! I agree with cutting Fed. spending, where appropriate, raising taxes on Corp.s who either pay little in taxes, or like GE, pay none.

I am weary to the bone of Congress and their "in-fighting" and politics. They are there, theoretically, to Help our country climb back to #1 in the world.

July 18, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I agree with you, Good point there!!!!!!

July 18, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
    • Sharon Hastings

I absolutely agree with everything in your post! Has congress lost sight of why they were elected and what their job is?

July 18, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
      • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Sharon, i believe that the Rep's have mis-read the "mandate" they think the people elected them for!

July 18, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  20. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I hope we need not cut Social Security or Medicare or Medicaid.......... We need raise taxes right now!

July 18, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
  21. Starr, formerly know as vincent

Rupert Murdoch has too much power! This could be construted to confirm "what goes around, comes around".

July 18, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  22. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Rupert Murdoch to step down as CEO? Yes, He should have to step down as CEO for good!

July 18, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  23. Sharon Hastings

Good evening everyone and to John King. This story is all about competition, money, and greed. Sounds like this hacking was business as usual for some time. Pretty sad and now a suicide. Shame on these people. And why hack into the 9/11 family's phones?? I don't get that one but it's appalling. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

July 18, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
  24. Starr, formerly know as vincent

Good evening John King & Team 360.

Hello bogger friends!

I heard it reported earlier today that the reporter, Sean, who died today, had a history of heart diseas.

July 18, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Starr,
      Yes, I have heard, I have read newspaper about Sean.... That was so horrible life, he was former Whistlerblower against Rupert Murdoch as well.

July 18, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
    • Sharon Hastings

Hi Starr–didn't know about the heart disease, could be natural causes then, I hope so.

July 18, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  25. Nina

Nice to see that Rupert Murdoch's corrupt empire is being challenged..

July 18, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  26. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooooo everyone and John!!!!

Thanks for coming in for join us tonight! 😀
    Hope you have great weekend! 🙂
    Happy Monday night!!!

July 18, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
  27. Nina

Good evening Everyone .. Nice to see John King here tonight

July 18, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  28. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! It's great to see you on. I hope you had a good weekend.
    The phone-hacking scandal seems to get more critical and complex with every passing day.

July 18, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Paula,
      John King is filling-in for Anderson...... Yes, There is possible more trouble for him......... Hacking is also dangerous in the world.

July 18, 2011 at 10:06 pm |