July 14th, 2011

No deal yet in debt talks as Obama's deadline looms: Join the Live Chat

After a fifth meeting in five days failed Thursday to achieve a deficit reduction deal, President Barack Obama told top congressional leaders to reach an agreement on the way forward by early Saturday, officials said.

Obama will hold a news conference at 11 a.m. Friday to discuss efforts to reach a deal on the debt ceiling and budget cuts, according to a senior administration official.

No formal negotiations are planned Friday.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Lori - CA

What a sad story. It is unbelievable.

July 14, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  2. Sharon Hastings

I can't stand these stories. Apparently the person who killed him is mentally ill, has been hearing voices. It's every mother's nightmare (and grandmother's too)

July 14, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  3. Starr, formerly know as vincent

This story about the 8 yo is so retchingly sad. I'm going to have to turn the sound down on thisone.

I can't take anymore grusome stories about innocent children.

I pray for the mother & father & and the community very much.

July 14, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
    • MaryBeth

Same here!

July 14, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Starr, I agree, Me too...... Horrible shock!

July 14, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  4. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson and Isha......
    That is so cute baby I love when she smiles and sleep forth and back....... I love "The Shot" so cute..... I agree both of you, Awwwwwww!!!!!! That's so cute baby! And Jenny's son use blackberry..... LOL!!!!!! I agree!!!! 🙂 I hope not Jenny's son play around again!!!! LOL!

July 14, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  5. Paula, Colorado

I'm not looking forward to coverage of Casey Anthony's release–seems kind of foreboding.

July 14, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  6. joshua

Does anyone here have any idea how much money were're talking about? Taxing the top 2% at 100% won't come close to closing the huge budget deficit Obama has rung up over the past two and a half years. If we don't cut spending in a significant way, we will be doing this debt raising exercise all over again next year but instead of 14 trillion in debt, it will be 16.5 trillion in debt. There are two sides to the deficit equation. Spending more is one side and spending less is the other. More and more Americans are starting to agree that we have a spending problem and not a taxing problem. Just say no to printing more worthless money that is hurting the working poor in this country.

July 14, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  7. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Cute babies pictures!

July 14, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  8. Dorothy

I think it's time to cut congressional pay – that would help the deficit quite a bit.

July 14, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I agree, Dorothy.

July 14, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
    • Nina

Excellent suggestion, Dorothy! :~)

July 14, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  9. molly

Cute babies!

July 14, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  10. Nancy in Oregon

Cute baby!!!

July 14, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  11. Nina

Very cute Video, Anderson!

July 14, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  12. molly

I think she is already out of the jail. Did anyone in the media check the days served calculations that were reported by officials? I never heard a representative from law enforcement say she was being released on Sunday. Thought they said if she serves all days owed it's Sunday.

July 14, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  13. Lori - CA

What a cute baby!

July 14, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  14. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

YIKES!!!!!!!! Casey Anthony will be release 3 days ahead........ I don't want her on the street again ever!

July 14, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
    • Nancy in Oregon

I don't want her to have another baby. And I don't want to see anymore pictures of her living the high life.

July 14, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
      • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I agree with you, Nancy!

July 14, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  15. lisal -canada

i caught 'mildred pierce' by accident and really enjoyed it

July 14, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  16. Sharon Hastings

I'm afraid Casey Anthony will require security for sure. There is so much hatred and hostility toward her everywhere but particularly here in Florida.

July 14, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  17. Nina

Casey Anthony was found innocent of the charges regardless of what any of us think. I do not like how the public is responding to this trial. Its over, lets just move on.

July 14, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
    • Nancy in Oregon

It's very hard to just relax and let go, similar to (but not quite as much) as the OJ jury verdict. Sometimes it's just so, so hurtful when people seem to get away with cold-blooded murder.

July 14, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
    • Chris

I agree totally. Those who want to threaten her are no better than anyone who may have killed Caylee. And then threatening the jury also really does not speak well for us as a society. The case received much more media attention that it should have, especially the trial itself, and that has fostered some of hostility. We need to respect the jury's decision and move on; we will never know the real story.

July 14, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  18. Nancy in Oregon

Money? People have sent money?

July 14, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

I know Nancy! Bizzare isn't it?

I know i am sick of this story though. I feel sorry for the jurors who did what they thought was right. I hope people will leave them alone.

As for Casey, probably plastic surgery.

July 14, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
      • Nancy in Oregon

I have no idea what the jurors were all thinking. Sounds like there was a mish-mash here. At least Casey Anthony won't be having a party (presumably) and inviting the jurors to it. Poor baby girl whose life is over. She never should have been raised by that young woman.

July 14, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
    • molly

Yes they sent her money. A lot of men find her very attractive.

July 14, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  19. Emily

I wonder if Casey Anthony has any idea as to what the public really thinks of her?

July 14, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
    • Nancy in Oregon

Good question. And would someone of her personality really just 'walk' among the population?! Or would she need to display?

July 14, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
      • Emily

That's a good question too, Nancy! I have this feeling that Casey is unable to grasp just what is going on in the world outside of herself! I bet she's going to wish she was back in that jail cell after Sunday, if there is indeed a mob of people there to greet her.

July 14, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  20. Nancy in Oregon

Casey Anthony...how can her attorneys worry so about her but not what happened to her daughter?

July 14, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
    • Sharon Hastings

Such an excellent question Nancy.

July 14, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  21. Paula, Colorado

Fascinating report on the terror speaker.

July 14, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  22. Starr, formerly know as vincent

Thank you Drew for an excellent expose'.

Obviously there is something really "fishy" about this story. And, another abuse of tax money without Anyone looking into this man's credentials.
    No wonder we're going broke!

July 14, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yes! We will be broke for sure........ I don't know for sure we will be bankrupt!

July 14, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  23. ron from pa

Anderson and Drew,

Great report on this so-called terrorist expert!

July 14, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  24. molly

I wonder if any Muslims were required to attend the "Training" program which bashed their religion.

July 14, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  25. dean in la

The anti- tax pledges are creating an economic singularity or black hole. the frame is worth $13B per signer

July 14, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  26. molly

I would like to know the names of the higher ups that contracted the public speaking engagements – courtesy the taxpayers. My guess would be that those assigning the public speaking contracts are getting some benefit. Sounds like there's money on the side.

July 14, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  27. Sharon Hastings

Sounds like this "terrorist expert" has found a creative approach to finding a job for himself in these hard economic times.

July 14, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Hi Sharon. I know this story is serious, but the way you wrote your post made me laugh – thanks.

July 14, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  28. Kaytee

How long have we been living with the Bush tax cuts? And no job creation. They begged Obama not to end the Bush tax cuts because of the "job creators". Well still there are no jobs created. And we are supposed to be dumb enough to believe these same businesses are going to suddenly create jobs??

July 14, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Excellent point! Now if all of us who are Not dumb would let our Gov. know we are Not dumb, maybe things could change. I know....dream on, but it could happen?

July 14, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Excellent point, Kaytee!!!!!!! I agree with your comment!!!!!!!

July 14, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  29. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Terror training fraud????? Yes, There is possible fraud! I don't believe him what he would have not training as well.........

July 14, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  30. Lauretta

Good Evening,
    I have a suggestion: If Congress is so worried about taxing the Corporations that produce U.S. jobs; then I would suggest a hefty corporate tax for those corporations that send jobs overseas.

July 14, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  31. Cathy

It is so sad about the little 8-year-old boy. Talk about being at the wrong place at the wrong time and asking the wrong person for help! Was he too young to have been walking home by himself?

July 14, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
    • Nancy in Oregon

It's just too, too hard to think about.

July 14, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
    • MaryBeth

Personally, I think so. However, his parents didn't consider 7 blocks in his home neighborhood where everyone knows everyone else a big deal. I think they were rewarding him? Making him feel like a "big boy" instead of a "baby"?

July 14, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Oh yes, Cathy....... Very sad indeed,

July 14, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
    • Emily

I don't think that 8yrs old is too young to walk home alone. It's seems that most parents are way too protective of their children the past 1-2 decades. I know that I walked home alone, at that age. It really is a horrible story. There have always been evil people out there, and there always will. I don't think that it should prevent children from "walking home from school", or playing with friends (or alone) outside. Parents can't bubble-wrap their kids. I hope the murderer of the little boy will face the ultimate justice.

July 14, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
      • MaryBeth

I wasn't allowed to stay home alone or even walk home alone from school until I was 12.

July 14, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
        • Emily

Well, I later found out that there were times, that my parents could see me walking home, etc. and would watch to make sure that I did infact stop at "Stop" signs, Traffic Lights, and "look both ways", etc. However, there were always blinds, or curtains over the windows. I had no idea what-so-ever, that they were watching me at times. I really thought that they trusted me, the entire time. It was only after I was only that they told me.

July 14, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  32. Emily

Common Sense is not so common any more!
    I don't think you'll hear a single Republican say, "Raise Taxes" of any kind. (esp. during this election season)

July 14, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  33. MaryBeth

That poor 8 year old boy! Those poor parents!

July 14, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  34. Doug Mouer

WOW. Raise the tax on the wealthy! No jobs have been created because they had lower taxes. In fact we lost jobs. Cut the politicians pay, they are making more then 97% of the American people.

July 14, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
    • Emily

Well, even if they are earning more than 97% of the majority of the people, seeing most argue like petulant children is so disheartening. It's also preventing others from wanting to run in the future, after seeing that.

July 14, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Hi Doug. I agree! I've been singing this song for years now. Maybe someone will listen one day!

July 14, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good point there, Doug!!!!!

July 14, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  35. chris

the goverment can not come up with a way to fix the budget take it to the pepole in a referendom,let the pepole tell them what they are willing to do tax increse,and cuts take the plan to the pepole.

July 14, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  36. Tracy Brown - Canada

I don't think that Americans realize how much damage is being done to their reputation. Most economist agree that the debt ceiling must be raised, spending curbed very slowly (Government spending has a great deal to do with continued recovery in the U.S) and taxes on the weathy and coporations raised. It's a no brainer, must be done, and the U.S. puts itself in peril the longer they wait.

July 14, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
    • Nancy in Oregon

Sounds like a good point to make to the powers that be.

July 14, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
  37. MaryBeth

I love how all the polls directly go against what the GOP is saying!

July 14, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
    • Kaytee

But how the first thing out of their mouths is "What the people want". They don't have a clue about what the general public wants, they only know what the tea party wants.

July 14, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
      • Nancy in Oregon

Interesting point!! Tea Party = People, to them!

July 14, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
  38. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hellooooo everyone and Anderson!!!!
    I am so shocked that I'm so furious at republicans who blocking my SSI and Medicare!!!!!! Shame on Republicans!!!!!!!

July 14, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
  39. Millie Mouer

Raise the debt ceiling.
    raise the tax on the wealthy.
    simplify the tax code
    cut the defense budget
    cut programs for welfare
    leave SS alone
    Leave Medicare alone
    Cut congress pay by 10%

July 14, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I agree, MIllie!!!!!!!!!!! You're so right!

July 14, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Hi Millie, sounds like a pretty good plan, especially the 10% pay cut for Congress!!

July 14, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
    • Kaytee

I like it, Millie. I like it a lot. Now if we could just get congress to agree to it!

July 14, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
    • Nina

Excellent Millie! Have you thought about running for office? :~)

July 14, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
    • Sharon Hastings

Sounds great Millie. Call the White House like Starr did.

July 14, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
    • Lauretta

You forgot a few items. Make it mandatory for all elected officials to participate in Social Security, Medicare, and contribute to their own health insurance policies.

July 14, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  40. Tom

Thanks for the exposing of the GOPers being significantly less than honest about the poll numbers. I feel sorry for Obama having to spend time negotiating with basically a bunch of liars.

July 14, 2011 at 10:05 pm |
  41. Emily

I can't believe the selfish games that both parties are playing with the American people.
    It must be an election year!

July 14, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
  42. Sharon Hastings

Good evening everyone. I'm worried. Why does Congress hold us hostage to their partisan politics every time there is a crisis that requires them to make a decision. I'll bet most Americans would pay a little more in taxes to get out of this crisis. I would.

July 14, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
    • Nancy in Oregon

It's so disheartening, Sharon Hastings, when the sides involved seem to go for the emotional quotient and try to scare everyone in order to 'win'. I am so repelled by such tactics, on personal and family levels on up thru the ranks to the halls of power.

July 14, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
      • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Hi Sharon, i agree completely!

July 14, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  43. Nina

Go Anderson... you keep them honest!

I do not know of an American that does not want higher taxes for the top 2% wealthy Americans.

July 14, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
    • Nancy in Oregon

It's like asking the stronger member of a team to help lift something....I just can't imagine why they would not want to help that way, when they so (relatively) easily can do so.

July 14, 2011 at 10:05 pm |
      • MaryBeth

I completely agree!

July 14, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
      • Nina

If we close all loop-holes for All Americans, the wealthy would pay more since they have huge deductions. If we carried this out to corporations... many of which not only, do not pay taxes; but we pay them monies, would certainly help

July 14, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
        • MaryBeth

GE paid NOTHING in taxes last year!! NOTHING! That is insane!

July 14, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
          • Nina

Exactly!!! No write-offs for anyone!

July 14, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
          • Emily

"GE paid NOTHING in taxes last year!! NOTHING!"
            Perhaps it's time for some changes in the Tax Laws, esp. for Businesses?

July 14, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
        • Nancy in Oregon

Just as (I hope) all of us kick in with the best help we have to give, in most situations...not leave solutions to the few (privileged or not) and just sit back and complain. I think the wealthy have a set of responsibilities, as do the physically strong, as do the particularly talented in one way or another, as do those with free time....etc.

July 14, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
    • Cathy

Well, for sure we can count on anyone not in that 1% voting for that 1% to pay more. It's time that everyone pay something, even if it's a national sales tax of 1%. The people complaining the most are those paying no federal income taxes. And as was said a long time ago and challenged, that's about 50% of us.

July 14, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yes!!!!! I agree with you, Nina........ Keep them honest against Republicans!

July 14, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  44. Nancy in Oregon

Good evening, people. I can well believe people in general expect a blended solution to the financial challenge.

July 14, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Hi Nancy. I agree with you. And Anderson just proved it with multiple polls on taxes alone. You would think that Republicans especially would see this as Patriotic to Save their country. Instead, it appears, once again, they act as obstrictionists. It's a shame and shameful behavior on everyone's part too.

July 14, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  45. MaryBeth

I think they're asking for the Bush tax credits to be repealed, yes? That's for the richest of the rich, yes?

July 14, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  46. Starr, formerly know as vincent

Good evening Anderson & Team 360.

Hello blogger friends!

I wrote to the House Speaker, Eric Cantor & called the WH to ask All of them to work on behalf of the Country and not politics!

July 14, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
    • Nancy in Oregon

You are so good about doing that, Starr. (Good evening, by the way!)

July 14, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
      • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Good evening Nancy. I feel it is ourresponsibility as voters, to stay in touch with our reps in WA And the President too.

If we all stay quiet, they just take over and do whatever they want to. The only threat to politicians is your vote!

July 14, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
        • Nancy in Oregon

Thank you so much for the wise reminder. I know I need to hear that every once in awhile!

July 14, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
    • Nina

Congratulations for taking action! :~) Thank You

July 14, 2011 at 10:05 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good job, I am proud of you...... Doing right thing to tell them rightg away!!!!!! I did too.

July 14, 2011 at 10:05 pm |
    • Sharon Hastings

Thank you Starr. We can all take a lesson from your action.

July 14, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  47. MaryBeth

China? Really? They hold all of our debt, don't they?

July 14, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  48. Nina

Good Evening Everyone...

China has asked the US to be responsible ... lol

July 14, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
  49. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! It's great to see you on. Your discussion on the debt debate should be fascinating.

July 14, 2011 at 10:00 pm |