June 23rd, 2011

The RidicuList: Southwest Airlines

Editor's note: After one of its pilots had an insensitive open mic moment, Southwest Airlines has landed a spot on AC360's RidicuList.

Related: Southwest disciplines pilot for rant during flight

1. MC

Kat, I agree we FA's aren't innocent but the difference is if we inadvertently blurted something like that over the PA I'm sure our career would be over.

Grace, while on the outside safety may not have been compromised to you there is a thing called CRM, Crew Resource Management, which is the cornerstone of trust and communication between pilots and flight attendants. If this is compromised, which his rant clearly shows his outward dislike of certain people, then the safety of the flight is compromised. If he chooses to not brief us on important factors of weather, the aircraft, or anything else that comes up during flight based on his bigotry, the whole airplane could suffer. Just saying...

June 23, 2011 at 11:42 pm |
  2. Colyn

While I agree that this pilot thinks way too highly of himself and is sorely mistaken about the role a flight attendant on an airliner, the incident is being blown way out of proportion. This is just two guys in a "room" talking. Granted they are a bit immature in their choice of topics and are obviously lacking in the class department, but I know that they are not even close to unique. And for Mr Anderson Cooper to sit so high in his chair and judge this pilot is completely hypocritical. Unless of course he has never uttered a harsh word about anybody when he thought he was talking in private. And yes, I'm sure that all of the Southwest FA's are glad they don't have microphones listening into their passenger cabin conversations but they are in ear shot of passengers all the time and they can really have so interesting opinions. Futhermore Mr Cooper, if you had done your homework on this you would know that anything the controller tries to tell the aircraft with the stuck mic can't be heard by the flight crew because they have A STUCK MIC. Radios can only transmit OR receive at any given time...they can't do both at the same time. The controller should know this too so telling someone they have a stuck mic is heard by almost everyone EXCEPT the crew with the stuck mic.

June 23, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  3. Kat

While I do not condone the opinions of this SOLITARY pilot, I can only imagine some flight attendants must be breathing a sigh of relief that galleys do not contain mics that could, inadvertently, become stuck. However, as you concluded your story, you made a gross generalization when you stated, "So, next time you're on Southwest Airlines feel free to say 'hi' to the pilot, but only if you're hot and not a dude..." To, in any way, suggest this pilot represents all pilots would be the same as unfairly stereotyping you based upon the lack of scruples demonstrated by some of your colleagues in "journalism". I'm sure you would agree–that would be RidicuList.

Disclosure: I am a flight attendant for a major airline.

June 23, 2011 at 2:32 pm |
  4. Carl

This was awesom I couldn't stop laughing

June 23, 2011 at 2:20 pm |
  5. Terry

This pilot must have thought the attendants were on the flight for his benefit!!

June 23, 2011 at 2:12 pm |
  6. Patty

When I first heard about this I thought he was complaining about the passengers & wondered w t h.? But he is talking about his co workers! Yikes.' talk about a poison workplace ... not fun.

June 23, 2011 at 12:02 pm |
  7. Grace

While I don't agree with his rants, I think firing would be a bit too severe. Crew or passenger safety was not compro
    mised. At least Southwest officials took a stand. Unlike the incident where US Airways Presient Scott Kirby asaulted a flight attendant on a flight May, 2011 by pushing her out of his way because he wanted to get by. Leaders accused of alleged sexual harrassment, arrested more than once for DWI.

June 23, 2011 at 11:08 am |
  8. Danae

Love it! Such a great segment.

June 23, 2011 at 9:41 am |
  9. Ruthie

Typical pilot. That's what my daughter would say after 15 years in the business. She can't count how many times a pilot has shown her pictures of his wife and children before boinking a flight attendant at the crew hotel.

June 23, 2011 at 7:35 am |
  10. Jon

This is yet another example of someone presuming their comments are private when they are in a situation where there is no guarantee of privacy. It never ceases to amaze me in these days of Twitter and Facebook how much information people are willing to make public. I'm in no way advocating that this pilot's life should be ruined over words. However, he obviously threw common sense and on-the-job decency out the window. As a medical professional, I certainly make sure the things I say which may be offensive remain in complete privacy and away from the patients I serve and colleagues with which I work. We all have a right to our opinions. However, there is a time and place for everything. Some people simply forget that rule. I personally am about to fly to Houston, TX via Southwest. It doesn't make me question this pilot's ability based on his opinions, to that I couldn't care less. However, the fact that he was negligent enough to air his business over the airwaves to controllers makes me wonder what other aircraft controls he may be overlooking. Echoing Anderson's sarcastic remarks, could they please hire some suitable flight attendants so that this guy will be happy and fly me to Houston safely.

June 23, 2011 at 3:03 am |
  11. VeeGee

Sure like to see a photo of this charmer, bet like most of the pilots I have seen he has a gut hanging over his belt
    the size of Texas and a bald head. What a charmer.

June 23, 2011 at 2:23 am |
  12. Gloria

One benefit of being a woman over 50 is I do not have to deal with men like this anymore!

June 23, 2011 at 2:10 am |
  13. Cris Gates

Hahaha your a trip... A bit inspired by Jon Stewart on Sunday??

June 23, 2011 at 1:47 am |
  14. BR Willie

Anderson Cooper, I love you and your perspective!! Thanks for being on the our side!!

Just a member of the newly founded 3G HOU network!!

June 23, 2011 at 1:22 am |