June 10th, 2011

New Bloodshed in Syria: Join the Live Chat

In Syria, a city under attack. Soldiers opening fire on unarmed protestors. And another child taken from his parents tortured and murdered. We're Keeping Them Honest. Plus, see why there was a scuffle outside the courthouse where the Casey Anthony trial is taking place. And you'll hear why the medical examiner ruled Caylee's death a homicide.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

======

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I am surprised there is no evidence of her daughter accident drown...... Wow!!!! That means she murder own her daughter!!!!!!! That was so shocking I have seen!

June 10, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  2. R.Hares

Thank you for shedding the light and telling the truth as it is happening in Syria. Ever since the Syrian regime started the brutal crack down on the protesters me and a large number of our community (Survivors of Hama 1982) can't live a moment away from our dark memories that we tried so hard to forget. I guess there is an end to every thing and I fear a similar endings. God bless you and your team.

June 10, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

I truly pray that the ending will be completly different than the last time. I pray for freedome for the Syrian people.

June 10, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  3. Sharon Hastings

I watched some of the court case today. Dr. G. was riveting and her testimony powerful. Casey will be convicted.

June 10, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  4. Heather - Spokane, WA

How tacky is it that people will actually push and shove ans get into fights with each other over a court case of a girl who killed her own child? I find that disturbing and sickening that people stoop to that level, they are almost as bad as the defendant. i think they should close it off to an audience in the courtroom, leave the cameras and kick out the onlookers

June 10, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
    • Nancy in Oregon

The human animal can be so base.

June 10, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  5. Starr, formerly know as vincent

The people who trampled that woman to get into the trial are disgusting, in my mind.
    I can barely listen or watch the info on the case.
    why in God's name these people "fight" to get into the courtroom is simply beyond me.

June 10, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
    • Nancy in Oregon

Exactly. Makes you wonder who these people are, what kind of lives they lead, how they vote. Frightening.

June 10, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  6. Kal

Shame on the Arab league for letting this genocide to take place! They all have blood on their hands. It's time for the whole world to stop making excuses and do something about this, otherwise we're all just as guilty as the Syrian regime.

June 10, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Good point!

June 10, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
    • R.Hares

I second that.

June 10, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good point, Kal! I agree!

June 10, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
    • Janis

I agree. The Arab League is a powerful influence and should be the first to denounce these atrocities.

June 10, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  7. Lori - CA

I don't understand why people want to hear all of this case.

June 10, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  8. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I love "The Shot" Robert Jeffrey moves so smooth dance on video!!!!! LOL!!!!! I love that, Anderson,. I love it!!!!!!!! Thanks for cheer me up!!!!!! Very funny shot, Anderson! 🙂 😉

June 10, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  9. Starr, formerly know as vincent

The Shot was great! I wonder if he is a dancer now. Very cute and funny.

June 10, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  10. Heather - Spokane, WA

I think Madonna should hire that guy from the shot! That is great!

June 10, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  11. Janis

He's pretty good. Love the video of the little boy's dance routine.

June 10, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  12. Lori - CA

That was a good video from Madonna!

June 10, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  13. Lori - CA

This is really cute shot!

June 10, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  14. Janis

I agree with Secretary Gates about the commitment to NATO by other countries. Need more.

June 10, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

How true. It seems most of the global community expects the US to do almost everything as well as pick up the expenses, not to mention the loss of American life. NATO needs a reality check and needs to contribute proportionally.

June 10, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
      • Nancy in Oregon

As do other countries, everywhere, whatever their means or their ways of helping out. (Good evening, Starr!)

June 10, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  15. Lori - CA

Mr. Weiner has terrible penmanship.

June 10, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I agree, Lori!!!!!!! I don't think he will write a note his neighbor's door!!!!!!

June 10, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  16. Jo Ann, Ohio

Why is the media so interested in Palin's emails? She doesn't hold any office, and as far as I know, she is not a candidate for the presidency.

June 10, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  17. Paula, Colorado

The emails must be interesting reading–though probably don't reveal a lot of what is not already known regarding Sarah Palin.

June 10, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  18. Jo Ann, Ohio

What good are the idle threats being made by the U.S. to Syria? The West is powerless to do anything about the situation in Syria. All we can do is expose it to the rest of the world and sit back and watch it happen.

June 10, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
    • Stephan

Feeling powerless is unusual for the former "world power". The only weapon we have now is exposure, and that's what AC360 is doing – and for that should be commended. Much blood will be shed before those tyrants in Damascus, Saana, and Manama will be brought to justice, and we will have to watch with remorse at all of the former imperialist policies that brought this all about. Siding with tyrants has a price, and the poor folks of the region are paying it now.

June 10, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
      • Nancy in Oregon

Or powerlessness in the overt ways, maybe. I think exposing things can very often be their undoing.

June 10, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
    • Nancy in Oregon

Good evening, JoAnn! I wonder though. It just would not surprise me if all sorts of secret stuff is going on backstage. Somehow I just assume that way, way more of that goes on than meets the eye. I almost disregard the public statements (or lack of them!!)

June 10, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  19. Janis

The Governor was an employee of the State of Alaska. Nothing private pertaining to her job. Belongs to the State of Alaska. Her papers are the intellectual property of Alaska also. At least, that's what I understand about all this. Intellectual property is interesting. If you Tweet does it belong to you or to the folks who run Twitter? Is your Facebook page yours in a court of law? All interesting.

June 10, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  20. lisal -canada

what kind of precedent does this set? what was the original reason FOR the request for release of these anyway? does this mean that anyone running for pres or vp can have their old office business released just because a whole lot of curious people really really want to know? what was the original reason for the request?

June 10, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  21. Sharon Hastings

I'll pass on reading the emails. I'm sure someone will tell me if there is something interesting. I either never knew or can't remember why these are released at all.

June 10, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
    • Nancy in Oregon

I think they said earlier that a request had been filed when she was running with McCain but it's taken this long to make them available.

June 10, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  22. Heather - Spokane, WA

Quite frankly, if Palin is going to run for president she should be prepared for people to be reading her emails and watching her past videos. It's all going to be coming out if she decides to run.

June 10, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
    • Nancy in Oregon

Absolutely. Right or wrong, that's the way it is. Even I, a non-public person, know that much about it! And it isn't just the mainstream media she so hates....reality shows want it, entertainment shows, Fox. I think a lot of public figures somehow forget or don't understand that they aren't gods who can control and manage who they play to and who they avoid. Over and over again, they seem to love publicity when they want it, abhor it when they don't!!

June 10, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  23. Natali

Hats off to your honest reporting AC. You are one of few who is shedding light on the massacre in Syria.. This what what I call serious news programming

June 10, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
    • Stephan

Absolutely. Keep up the good work, Anderson.

June 10, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  24. Anita

The Turkish government will soon be over burdened with the Syrian refugees. The USA, Canada and NATO can surely help by pouring aid into Turkey to help with the refugee camps and give these desperate people decent living conditions, medical aid, food and water.

June 10, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
    • Nancy in Oregon

And China and India and New Zealand and South Africa and Brazil and....

June 10, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  25. Stephan

Anderson, thanks as always for getting into the bloody truth. The butchery now happening in Syria should remind us of why it was right to intervene in Lybia. We cannot do anything about Syria now, bit the international communoty should now be preparing to act. The Btcher of Damascus cannot go on living in opulence and spilled tripes.

June 10, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  26. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I could not believe her that she send e-mail releases to people, Why her????? That was her private e-mail personal, Not our business,

June 10, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  27. lisal -canada

just curious, but how often does that happen to governors – i mean, requests to have clumps of emails released – i thought the "request" was from an ethics committee (apparently it is/was not)

how many other government officials have had their emails released like this (leaks not counting) ?

June 10, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

I think i heard Eilliot Spitzer say that his emails as governor were released.

June 10, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
      • lisal -canada

thanksi starr – missed that – i sometimes question the overlap of valid transparency and mere but severe curiosity

June 10, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  28. Graison Stemper

Watching your coverage of the violence and horror in Syria. It's truly sickening...what else can you call it? Thank you Anderson to you and your team for shedding light on this nightmare taking place. When is the world going to step in and stop this? Where is Canada and Britain? Why is it always the USA to the rescue? The rest of the world is watching too and all first world nations need to take action not just put out press releases.

June 10, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
    • Nancy in Oregon

That's my feeling too...it isn't up to the US alone (unless we've been hired to do that and I just missed it!) And not just the West, in my view, but the East, the MidEast, the Southern Hemisphere, the rich and the poor, the powerful and the frail. Human beings everywhere should say, "Stop."

June 10, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
    • Stephan

That is always the burden left on those who uphold decency (most of the times) and human values (most of the times). We in the West are left speechless at the horror happening now in Syria, Bahrain, and Yemen, where we have no leverage. Nonetheless, awareness of the horrors occurring now, as stomach-churning as it is, will further our resolve. No more dealing with tyrants. Pull out all of our investments, our money, all of it, and bring those tyrants to justice in the international court of The Hague.

June 10, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
      • Nancy in Oregon

I would suggest that many more people and societies uphold decency than the US or the Western powers. Thus, many, many societies worldwide should be voicing and registering disgust.

June 10, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  29. Starr, formerly know as vincent

Evening Anderson & Team 360.

Hello All, sorry i'm so late.

Am so sorry to continue to see the tragedy that is Syria

June 10, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hi Starr,
      Nice see you so late join with us tonight! 🙂

June 10, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
    • Stephan

Indeed, what a horror. We are so sheltered here.
      This is what would have happened in Benghazi had we not intervened. Unfortunately, we cannot intervene everywhere.

June 10, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  30. Lori - CA

It sounds like she is a fair critic.

June 10, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  31. Lori - CA

Who would have guessed she had so much to say?

June 10, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  32. Paula, Colorado

The violence in Syria is sadistic and barbaric–no one could respect a regime that initiates or allows this to happen.

June 10, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
    • Nancy in Oregon

Much less to treat that nation as a 'Player' in the Big Leagues. I find myself very weary of iiron-fisted or close-minded nations trying to play ball with the big guys but then acting like third-rate, barbaric throwback from centuries long past.

June 10, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
      • Stephan

Absolutely – and this is where our past dealings with tyrants is haunting us now.

June 10, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  33. CAt

And if our President did get involved in Syria then people would say he got us in another war, make up your mind when you want help he is your President but if he does something worng he is not your President. People in United States are spoiled go to other countries and you will realize how good things are here, even though the economy might not be great we still have it very very good here.

June 10, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
    • Sharon Hastings

I certainly agree that the pattern has been an initial outcry for the President to take action and do something. Then when he does suddenly many are saying we never should have gotten into it. It's crazy-making.

June 10, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
      • Nancy in Oregon

But very human, eh?! Sounds like teenage mentality to me sometimes-"DO something!" followed by, "Why did you get involved?!!"

June 10, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  34. Janis

It sounds like we are now witnessing the beginnings of genocide.

June 10, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
    • Heather - Spokane, WA

i think it has been for a bit now

June 10, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I agree Janis...... Sounds like that war to me.

June 10, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  35. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    That was so horrible I have seen this video I can't watch regime's soldiers beat up children and old people, It is breaking my heart right now, I am so concern right now in Syria!!!! 🙁

June 10, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
  36. Nancy in Oregon

Setting fire to fields and crops...sounds like the range wars of the early West in the US, like the ranchers trying to get rid of the farmers.

June 10, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  37. Nawar

So sad that in this day and age, such atrocities can still be committed with the world effectively just watching. I don't know what we can do but I feel like something has to be done.

June 10, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  38. Nancy in Oregon

Good evening, people. I tuned in at the onset but had to change channels, the violent videos were just too hard to watch one after another. Back now...just shaking my head in sadness.

June 10, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
    • Heather - Spokane, WA

I'm sure everyone is joining in with you, I sure am

June 10, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
      • Nancy in Oregon

Appalling stuff, which I think the whole world should be 'reacting to' together.

June 10, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  39. lisal -canada

one of the things i find most disturbing is that it seems so many refer to the fact that this type of activity by the syrian regime is not new at all and that it has 'always' been going on – that is disturbing

June 10, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  40. Lori - CA

Hi Anderson. Hi Everyone. Good evening.

June 10, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  41. Janis

Hello everyone.

These pictures and videos from Syria are terrible to look at. I'm at a loss to why other countries, Muslim countries, don't speak out about the treatment being inflicted on the citizens of Syria. What does it take for the world to decide that these regimes are good for no one, no country, no peaceful world? Isn't there a vision for the future of the children of Islam? I just don't uinderstand the allowance of this cruelty for the sake of a self-absorbed dictator.

June 10, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
    • Nancy in Oregon

That's something that occurs to me too...it isn't just up to the US or the West to react. Humanity should react, universally.

June 10, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
  42. Heather - Spokane, WA

I think it's time for action and it's time to take this regime down now. It is getting worse and worse each day. This is a genocide not a war

June 10, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  43. Dan from Chicago, IL

NATO should bomb Syria's government buildings where they are allowing this to happen. Also bomb both Assad's palaces!

June 10, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  44. Adrian

I cry for the children of Syria. Imagine how many children we do not know about. I wish we had a president like Kennedy. Imagine what he would have done.

June 10, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
    • Nancy in Oregon

I wonder what you think Kennedy would have done.

June 10, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
  45. Lisa in Louisville

Oh my God. This is horrible. Do we, as Americans, know how good we have it? We complain about our politicians....but have they ever tortured children, protesters, and the elderly? Are we afraid of being shot in cold blood by those in power? Just think how thrilled the Syrians would be to vote in a real election.

June 10, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  46. Adrian DeRosa

I really wish I could be proud of our current president but it appears he is not at all trying to stop this violence before it happens. It is shameful. I WISH FOR A PRESIDENT TO DO THE RIGHT THING! WHY DOES IT ALWAYS HAVE TO BE AMERICA?

June 10, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
    • Nancy in Oregon

I would suggest that things may be happening in a non-public way, which might be smarter at this stage. Just because it isn't broadcast, doesn't mean something isn't going on in reaction to the Syrian tyranny. Also...it puzzles me why you also ask the question about why does America always have to be the one to act. (I agree, by the way, and think the whole world should be pooling reactions together. It isn't just up to us all the time.) I can't tell if you think our US President should 'handle it' or if you think the rest of the world should. The whole thing is, at heart, a very distressing humanitarian situation...for the whole world to deal with (and not necessarily in the media.)

June 10, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Megan, Isha, Jane, Martina, Nicole, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Mike, Casey, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, JoAnn, Renee, Lori-CA, Heather, BettyAnn, Starr, Sharon, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Sree, Nancy, Sue, Kenya, Libby, Nina, Samantha, Chi, Jana, Karyn, Lily, Merl, Marybeth, others and my friend Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!
    Thank God It's Friday Night!!!!
    Couldn't wait forward this weekend!
    Thanks for coming in for join us tonight!
    That was so horrible situation right now in Syria!!!!!!!!!! I hope they won't shot own people again. 🙁

June 10, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  48. Heather - Spokane, WA

Evening Anderson and everyone! It's my bday today and I am spending it with you! Cheers!

June 10, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  49. Sharon Hastings

Good evening everyone. TGIF. These pictures are horrible. What evil would kick and beat an old man or a child? I hope more of their troops refuse to attack their own people. This story is truly gruesome. We don't live in a perfect country but thank God we are living in America. I am truly grateful for our freedoms.

June 10, 2011 at 10:05 pm |
  50. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi–Happy Friday! Sounds like a fascinating program tonight.
    The reports out of Syria are terribly disturbing.

June 10, 2011 at 10:00 pm |