May 26th, 2011

Video: Frustration grows in Joplin

Editor's note: Anderson Cooper, John King, and Gary Tuchman report on the growing frustration about amongst survivors in Joplin, Missouri.

Related: Missouri governor promises more help

Related: In Joplin, a push to find missing; reconnect families

Filed under: 360° Radar • 360º Follow • Weather
  1. virginia atwell

Luckily, I don't live where any of the tornados touched down. However, I share the frustration that these people are going through. The person in charge of the morgue in Joplin is at the top of everyone's hate list. But that's not why I'm writing to you. Joplin is a terrible tragedy, but it's not the only one. Many, many places are suffering right now. There's a flooded Indian reservation where everyone is stranded and their calls for help are being ignored. This is happening all over the place. How about spreading the news around a little bit , and try giving somewhere else your help ??

May 26, 2011 at 3:16 pm |
  2. Lori

I don't understand why the hospitals in the region that took in the wounded from Joplin cannot take pictures of the victims that they are caring for and send them to a central location in Joplin so that when people are searching for a missing loved one they could at least have the pictures to go through, it would at least be a starting point in their search. And as awful as this may sound, since people are not being allowed in to identify their dead, why can't the morgue take pictures for that also? I would be very very upset to go in and be told it would be 2 weeks before I could get any information on a deceased loved one.

May 26, 2011 at 9:47 am |
  3. Carol Liege

If there's a reason families can't be allowed in the morgue, maybe CNN could get permission to send in a photographer with a poloroid to bring out photographs.

May 26, 2011 at 2:37 am |
  4. Stevo Reno

I cannot believe what those local officials are putting their citizens through. I'm a Katrina survivor but things were much better organized here in Biloxi after Katrina.

May 26, 2011 at 2:37 am |
  5. Norma Vormittag

My brother lives alone in Joplin and I have not been able to find out who to call to try to find my brother. Can you give me a phone number of someone to contact. Thank you

May 26, 2011 at 2:34 am |
  6. Marilyn, LA, CA

Anderson, there are really no words to describe your reporting and compassion on the all too many disasters you have covered in the past months/years. My comment is, and I will shout, WHERE IS THE RED CROSS, or other charities, to help set up and organize finding and locating loved ones? Thank you!

May 26, 2011 at 2:31 am |
  7. Florence Becker

Anderson Cooper, any chance you could get the Governor of Missouri to answer a question straight? You ask him something and he plays the politician and does not ANSWER THE QUESTION. What is the matter with him? No organization which helps people at all. Why can't they photograph the faces of the people at the morgue and show them to the families? Who is in charge there?
    Thanks for your excellent coverage.

May 26, 2011 at 2:27 am |