Frustration for Tornado Survivors: Join the Live Chat
Part of a mangled car door sits atop a tree near the spot where Charles Richardson's home once stood in Joplin, Missouri.
May 25th, 2011

Frustration for Tornado Survivors: Join the Live Chat

New and dangerous storms out there tonight as the deadliest tornado season in more than half-a-century continues. Anderson will be reporting from Joplin, Missouri where neighbors are helping neighbors. But stories are emerging, and frustration rising, about a lack of organization. We're Keeping Them Honest. We also have a remarkable story about an Oklahoma family that survived the tornado that hit last night.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Wayne

First, Anderson, Gary, John & CNN thanks for the great reporting through this disaster. Second, the utter devastation and loss of life caused by the Joplin tornado seems sureal to many, myself included. What IS TRULY sureal are the wholly unconsionable acts perpetrated on the suffering citizenry by the local, state and federal bureaucracies. A "permit" is required to return to your destroyed house? REALLY? Did I actually see and hear that? Reams of paperwork and two weeks delay to learn if your 12 year old son is dead or alive? REALLY? Who the blazes are these monsters? Collective sociopaths and psychopaths – no conscience, no compassion. Let's add cruelty and tyranny to the mix. We have all witnessed on CNN, demonstrations of better disaster planning and post-traumatic organization in the third world!!! Keep 'em honest!! Keep up the pressure! Peace

May 25, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  2. Kevin

Anderson You The Crew Are Doing Great Job On The Coverage And It Is A Public Service

May 25, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  3. Amalia

you're doing a great job! i am from miami but this breaks my heart; how can the people of south florida get involved to help? please let me know!

May 25, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  4. Lori, CA

I hope these kids find their mom. The people seem to really appreciate Anderson's coverage.

May 25, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  5. Deb Wichita Falls, Texas

Anderson Cooper is interviewing Dee Ann Hayward's relatives.

May 25, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  6. Nina

Really excellent coverage of the tornadoes, Anderson and CNN. Please stay safe.

May 25, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  7. Starr, formerly know as vincent

@Anderson & Team – I agree with many of the bloggers – You, your team & CNN are doing a great public service by airing the pictures and contact info for the missing.

May 25, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  8. Madeline, Singapore

Will Tornado May bring about new legislation in storm affected states requiring all new home builds to have basements or cellars? Earthquake prone areas cannot have basements, so shouldn't tornado prone areas require basements?

May 25, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

We do not have basement or cellar for that legislation as well, sometimes they do not have insurance to rebuild as well, There will be code as well on depends what they should have figure it out what we do this code.

May 25, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  9. Pam - San Diego

Hi Everyone. I hope that Gov. gets things movin. Those poor people. Good job bringing it all out Anderson.

May 25, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  10. Paula, Colorado

I hope the organization does improve quickly in Joplin.

May 25, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  11. lisal -canada

those visuals just send chills down my spine – can't imagine being right there

May 25, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  12. Kevin

50 Tornados In 36 Hours Have Touched Down What Is going on With This Weather

May 25, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  13. Sharon Hastings

Good news to hear things may improve soon with more organization. I hope that prediction is true.

May 25, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  14. Dustin Hunt

My cousins are supposed to be interviewed on the program tonight........we are desprately trying to find answers about their mother, my Aunt, Dee Ann Hayward........thing have become frustrating and my Uncle Jim Hayward has been getting the run around for a while now.........Can anyone tell me if the interview has aired yet.....not near a TV and would like any feedback.

May 25, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Your story is coming up after the commercial break. May God bless you and your family and your family member is found alive.

May 25, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
    • Dustin Hunt

Our family has got confirmed information that there is a warehouse east of town....on AA highway to be exact.....full of perished bodies that has not been released to the public......my brother went out there yesterday morning and the people there were just shcoked that any individual knew about this location........

May 25, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
    • Kevin

They are Airing It Now I Hope That Everything is ok

May 25, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
    • Jackie M

The children are on TV now and they have had no leads on her as of now.they are still looking for her ....My sympathy goes out to all the families there .. Please know that we are all keeping you and your families in our prayers . I live on the gulf coast of Texas and we know what they are praying that your loves one is found safe going through as we experienced a hurricane 2 years ago ...

May 25, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
    • Samantha Hallman

Yes it just aired. Praying for your family and the many others <3

May 25, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  15. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

The tornadoes have torn a lot of lives as well.

May 25, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
    • Nina

"The tornadoes have torn a lot of lives as well."

excellent statement Gloria.
      And these tornadoes have shredded many hearts

May 25, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  16. Nina

tragic, not to even be able to view a loved on at the morgue. So much trauma and all unraveled emotions. There is no way these people can even begin any kind of emotional healing. What a mess!

May 25, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
    • nancyinoregon

Exactly so, Nina. It's a mess. Some of the mess is fixable, I'm sure, but some goes with the situation.

May 25, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

True...... That will be messy anywhere this area, Yikes!

May 25, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  17. Lori, CA

Sometimes the deceased can not be visually identified easily. Maybe the county coroner is trying to do DNA id before further tramatizing the families.

May 25, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
    • nancyinoregon

That is the reality, for sure, Lori. The body, face and all, does not necessarily match the photo.

May 25, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
      • lilly

also, I don't think the families want the pictures of the dead all over the internet. It needs to be done respectfully. showing the pictures in private that posting them up on some bulletin board.

May 25, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
    • Dustin Hunt

in regards to Dee Ann Hayward.....we have tried to take DNA earlier tonight and Dee Ann Hayward's sister was turned away

May 25, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
      • Pam - San Diego

Anderson is doing the interview right now.

May 25, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  18. Tracy Brown - Canada

I'm not sure that I understand why the communication is so difficult. Google created a data base after the earthquake in Japan where people could post and look for people. In this day and age, communication is quite easily facilitated, so the delays in getting information out to loved ones seems a bit strange to me.

May 25, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  19. david

I will tell you whats wrong , were is the army and all or gov wake up and get down there and help , this is the usa , did it take you that long to get to japan????

May 25, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
    • Nina

Excellent point, David! I wonder why the military is not helping. This is a national disaster zone.

May 25, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  20. Shari, Ashland, KY

Can cell phones be traced to the location to help locate survivors and victims? On May 10th a strong storm blew off part of my roof and we had flooding. We feel such compassion more for our neighbors in Joplin, MO stay strong, America is there for you.

May 25, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  21. Peggie A. Loyd

wow this is America Im sad,these poor people have nothing have lost family members friends and etc and this red tape they have to go threw is heartbreaking let these people go to their homes and be able to pray and deal with their losses why prolong their pain dont you think they have suffered enough?And not letting them identify their deseased love ones for two weeks what are you thinking,that is heartbreaking and unthinkable I couldnt imagine God Bless you all

May 25, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  22. Yvette Olmo

Why can't the hospitals take pictures of all of their John & Jane Doe's and put them on air so families can find them. I think privacy laws need to go out the window when a tragedy of this size occurs! These poor families are driving everywhere looking for their loved ones. If they could even have a private webpage with these pictures that families missing loved ones can go to, it would be so much faster for these families to find their loved ones!

May 25, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  23. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I am so sorry to hear about the baby boy loosing his life in the storm. My prayers go out to his family and friends of the family.

May 25, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  24. Paula, Colorado

It's heartbreaking to hear of those still missing–I hope the searches bring results soon. I pray for all there.

May 25, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  25. Kevin

I know takes while to id people but they need know something about there loved ones

May 25, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  26. Sheri

I have no connections to Joplin but am completely infuriated at the situation with the morgue and the lack of coordination with missing persons. Why isn't someone stepping in and taking control of this, doesn't FEMA organize these things? If I had a child that was missing I would be pounding down the door at the morgue to see if my child was in there. How dare they make loved ones wait days or weeks to find out the status of their relative, it's disgusting behavior. Didn't we learn our lessons with Katrina?

May 25, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  27. Linda

I can't believe there is not a single toll free number for these missing people

May 25, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Linda,
      Yes, It is lot of phone, People want to call who are missing as well............ Most cases are to find anyone are missing and please call this number as well..... You're right.

May 25, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  28. Nina

@CNN This is the beauty of national media! Thank you in using your network for such a worthy cause, displaying photographs of missing people and phone numbers to contact their family.

May 25, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  29. Chelsea

Watching the coverage I had to wonder, with so many missing.. have they tried perhaps tracing cellphones that people may have been carrying?

May 25, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yes, It is...... I think so, Chelsea.

May 25, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
    • Shari, Ashland, KY

My first thought too. Plus let the phones ring and survivors be found.

May 25, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  30. Lori, CA

Children can really break your heart.

May 25, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

You are so right. I am so sad that the little toddler did not make it. I'm certain the parents are heartbroken.

May 25, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  31. nancyinoregon

Good evening, people. Well, not good for all. How heartbreaking, this father talking to Anderson.

May 25, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
    • Pam - San Diego

I was crying right along with that poor father. This is so heartbreaking.

May 25, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  32. Nina

Good Evening Everyone

Thank You Anderson and CNN for providing a platform in which families can reach out to their missing members.

My heart goes out to these families who have missing ,members.

May 25, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
  33. Jo Ann, Ohio

Aren't these people suffering enough? Why are the authorities putting the families through this? I hope Anderson. Gary, and CNN put pressure on them to do the right thing.

May 25, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

You are so absolutely right, JoAnn!!!!!!

May 25, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
    • nancyinoregon

It makes me think that all regions must really examine their own policies and procedures in such cases. I'm sure the workers themselves are trying hard...but just following their training. Let's hope that some of these fiasco situations can lead to betterment in the procedures others implement later. It's just gotta me heart wrenching for all concerned.

May 25, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
      • Jo Ann, Ohio

Hi Nancy, I think it is heartless to make these families wander aimlessly looking for a loved one who may already be dead. If they are dead the families will know they can stop looking, if not, they still have hope, but to leave them in limbo wondering is callous.

May 25, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  34. Starr, formerly know as vincent

Of course, many people may likely have head injuries, swollen and bruised faces, but family may be able to recognize them.
    The morgue(s) could also do the same.
    Perhaps this kind of action could help some of the people.
    I doubt that may injured were able to keep their ID's with them in the confusion or the wind.
    Facial recognition may be the only way other than DNA for those who are unrecognizable.\
    God bless these parents, my prayers are with them.

May 25, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
    • Lori, CA

That is a good idea. With the internet available, it would be a giant step toward organization as well as reducing stress for moms and dads. This is heart breaking.

May 25, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
    • Nina

"Perhaps all of the Hospitals could take pictures of each patient in their hospital and post it to a central site."
      Excellent idea!

May 25, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good point, Starr!!!!! I agree yours.

May 25, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
    • nancyinoregon

It is appalling and makes me just ache. Poor, poor people...including the workers. They are doing the best they can, even if the process they are following is horribly flawed. I hope it makes all regions look again at their emergency management processes.

May 25, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  35. Sharon Hastings

Who is running things there? I know emotions are running high but why so much red tape, waiting, lines, permits, inability to know who is in the morgue. These people are traumatized. Things need to be much easier for these people.

May 25, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  36. Jo Ann, Ohio

What type of paper work are they talking about. I agree with Anderson take photos of the victims and let these people see them. Aren't the authorities anxious to make these identifications? They aren't demanding to take the bodies.

May 25, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  37. Lori, CA

That is son unfair for Will Norton. He is a really cute teen. I feel so sorry for his mother and father and family.

May 25, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I agree, Lori!!!!!!

May 25, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
  38. Tim K

Is it possible the Presidential visit is causing some hiccups in rescue operations? President Obama stated he wanted to meet with some of the people which would suggest he will be on the ground instead of just the Marine 1 flyover. If his visit is going to pull emergency services away from where they need to be, then Obama needs to cancel or do just a flyover.

May 25, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good point queston, Tim.......
      Our president Obama already has visit once, But he have stay in London this week before he fly to France for 8 summit and He will come to visit this disaster after 8 Summit, he should come home around next week, Not cancel yet, Tim.

May 25, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
  39. Kevin

That has to be bad for a parent to go through

May 25, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  40. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Only one person rise total 125 now..... That is so sad for people who lost love one dear!!!! 🙁

May 25, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  41. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Oh my gosh, What a monster tornado!!!!!! Yikes!!!!

May 25, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
    • Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

That tornado even looked like monster.

May 25, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  42. Starr, formerly know as vincent

Evening Anderson & Team 360. Excellent coverage by you and your team.

Hello, Nancy, Megan, JoAnn, Mike, Casey, Nina, Sharon H., Chi, MaryBeth, everyone.
    \
    Truly incredible videos of the tornados.
    My heart goes out to all of the families who do not know where their family members are. Or Anyone who cannot find their friend or loved one. I truly can't imagine. I'd be out of my mind.

May 25, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  43. Lori, CA

Terrible task for a parent....

May 25, 2011 at 10:05 pm |
  44. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Ooh, wee! Look at that!

May 25, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
  45. Lori

Helllo Anderson. Hello Everyone. Good evening.

It seems like more than 30 percent of the town has been destroyed.

May 25, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
  46. Sharon Hastings

Good evening Anderson and everyone. Thank you to Anderson and CNN for continued coverage of the tornado in Joplin and others too. My heart goes out to those still searching for loved ones whether dead or alive. I can't imagine. I think about my family members and my little grandchildren and I can only imagine how I would be doing if one of them was missing. It's such a tragedy. I made a donation to the Red Cross. Don't know what else to do.

May 25, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Thanks Sharon, I agree with your comment, I think, You are so absolutely right!

May 25, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
    • Shari, Ashland, KY

Thank you for donating to the Red Cross, we recently had to use them because of the May 10th storm and losing our roof and power in KY. They are a wonderful support also, I was terrified and they reassured us.

May 25, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  47. Kevin

Good Evening
    Anderson Everyone

May 25, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  48. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! The tornadoes seem unending. Thanks for your excellent, in-depth coverage–though the continued crisis is alarming and sad.

May 25, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  49. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Megan, Isha, Jane, Martina, Nicole, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Mike, Casey, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, JoAnn, Renee, Lori-CA, Heather, BettyAnn, Starr, Sharon, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Sree, Nancy, Sue, Kenya, Libby, Nina, Samantha, Chi, Jana, Karyn, Lily, Merl, Marybeth, others and my friend Facebook/Twitter Bloggers!!!!
    Happy Wednesday night!!!

May 25, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
  50. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone! Greetings!

May 25, 2011 at 10:00 pm |