116 killed by Missouri tornado: Join the Live Chat
May 23rd, 2011

116 killed by Missouri tornado: Join the Live Chat

Anderson is live from Joplin, Missouri tonight with the latest on the deadliest tornado in recorded U.S. history.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Dylan Hageman

My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone in Missouri and everyone affected by this tragedy.

May 23, 2011 at 11:01 pm |
  2. Wanda

May God bless the people of Joplin,MO.

May 23, 2011 at 11:01 pm |
  3. susan

I know the storms might not allow this...But have they thought of using the military helicopters heat dectors to fly overhead and search for hidden bodies of people in their storm cellars or basements?

May 23, 2011 at 11:00 pm |
  4. Dan E

Isaac Duncan and his friends there look traumatized. I hope they can access help if needed. Very brave guys, but they did just survive a near death experience. Hang in there and help each other

May 23, 2011 at 11:00 pm |
  5. lisal -canada

the image of the home depot and some of the larger warehouse-type buildings are just horrible – anyone who is alive and trapped must be just terrified and miserable – thinking about all of those in need this evening

May 23, 2011 at 10:59 pm |
  6. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Night Everyone! I wish the people in Joplin, MO wellness!

May 23, 2011 at 10:59 pm |
  7. Chi

Oops Volcano again?

May 23, 2011 at 10:59 pm |
  8. Janis

Good night Anderson and crew. Good night fellow bloggers.

Stay strong Joplin. I hope more survivors are found quickly.

May 23, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
  9. Lori

Good night everyone. Take care. Good night Anderson. Sweet dreams.

May 23, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
  10. Darlene Kalish

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families in Joplin, MO

May 23, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
  11. Sharon Hastings

I do hope and pray that they find more people alive and that no more bad weather comes to them tomorrow. Hope Will Norton will be okay. Get some rest Anderson and I hope there can be some positive recoveries to report tomorrow. All those homeless people will certainly need alot of help. I will donate again to the Red Cross.

Good night everyone.

May 23, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  12. Nina

Good night everyone.

Have a wonderful week

My condolences to those families affected by the Tornadoes

May 23, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  13. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night Anderson, Megan, Isha, Jane, Martina, Nicole, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Mike, Casey, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Jane, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, Lori, Heather, BettyAnn, Starr, Sharon, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Dulcie, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Sree, Nancy, Sue, Kenya, Libby, Nina, Samantha, Jana, Chi, Karyn, Lilly, Merl, Marybeth others and my friend Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!
    See you tomorrow night, Have a great night & Sleep tight everyone!!!

Anderson,
    See you tomorrow in Joplin, Missouri!!!!!! Take a rest and sleep also keep safe for you get shelter right now!!!!!! 🙂

May 23, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
  14. Pam - San Diego

Look at that Tornado growing. My God.

May 23, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
  15. Chi

Hope people missing sb will find them soon. God bless them.

May 23, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  16. chloe barker

I was overwhelmed by your interview with Marie Colby. What an amazing girl with a beautiful heart!

May 23, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  17. lisal -canada

"... and everything else is just stuff" – those are incredibly wise and wonderful words from marie

May 23, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  18. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

There is some good neighborly people in the time of need.

May 23, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  19. sherri

I just cannot imagine what these people went through. They will all be in my thoughts and payers.

May 23, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  20. Eric Malone

Anderson, I'm a Joplin resident. How can we keep Joplin from becoming another Greensburg, a forgotten tragedy? I'm very worried about the long term future of Joplin given the vast amount of devastation and over two thousand destroyed buildings.

May 23, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  21. robert Moss

I am originally from Joplin(29 years) now living for the past five years in Knoxville, TN. I am shocked, in prayer and sadden for the loss. I know a couple of the persons killed in the aftermath. I wish I could be there to help clean up my childhood home. Thankfully my family north of Joplin(Carl Junction is safe)

May 23, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  22. Nina

Anderson, you are so courageous to travel to so many dangerous places. Thank you for excellent reporting

May 23, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yes, I agree!!!!! He does!!!!!! 🙂

May 23, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  23. Sharon Hastings

CNN has had great coverage of this tragedy. As hard as it is to watch, I hope people will take cover when they hear the sirens. I used to live in tornado country and we were serious about the warnings. I lived in a neighborhood where some bad damage occurred but no fatalities thank goodness.

May 23, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  24. Kevin

Thanks for all the coverage anderson keep it up, I fell so bad for all the people and familes affected by the tornando my hearts and prayers are with you

May 23, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  25. Michael, Abu Dhabi UAE

Thanks God my wife and her friends survived the tornado, they were trapped in the basement while the tornado is ripping out their apartment, they been there to take the NPTExam and just devastated by this experience. God Bless the people of Joplin, MO.

May 23, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
    • Janis

Glad your family is OK. Terrible tragedy for Joplin.

May 23, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
    • Sharon Hastings

Glad to hear your wife and friends are safe.

May 23, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Michael,
      I am glad your family are doing ok, My hearts goes out to you........ I am happy to hear!!! 🙂

May 23, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  26. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yes. Anderson was so crying alot, and I also broke my heart as well I have seen this disaster area!!!!!! I know people are so shocking and devastated as well.

May 23, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  27. Lori

I just can not imagine the strength of the winds. Tractor trailors weigh thousands of pounds. You would be lucky to live through that. Your fate is certainly in God's hand when you are in this type of situation.

May 23, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  28. Chi

@Gloria 10:36 Think so too. People say the most quiet place is in the eye of the storm. Is it true?

May 23, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  29. Lori

A flying tractor trailor truck! Those are really heavy right?

May 23, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yes or no..... Semi-truck is not heavy as well, It also suck up too.

May 23, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  30. Lori

Did you see the damage to that minivan?! Oh my!

May 23, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yes, I have seen many any kind cars, trucks, minivan as well also damage, too.

May 23, 2011 at 10:44 pm |