Ex-IMF chief out on bail: Join the Live Chat
Dominique Strauss-Kahn, pictured here during a court appearance earlier this week, has been released from Rikers Island on bail.
May 20th, 2011

Ex-IMF chief out on bail: Join the Live Chat

Breaking news tonight on AC360°, the ex-head of the IMF was released on bail Friday evening. Susan Candiotti will have the latest in the case of Dominique Strauss-Kahn. And Anderson will be joined by Eliot Spitzer and Mark Geragos to discuss what’s next in the sexual assault case.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Lori

I have just assumed that my cell phone is safe to use.

May 20, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
    • nancyinoregon

Well naturally. I think it's true that we assume if something is on the market, it's safe.

May 20, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
    • Janis

I'm sure not going to assume something is safe just because the gov't says so. Nobody can regulate and monitor all this stuff and you can't trust business to do anything to keep us safe if it cuts into their profits. That story sure made me grouchy.

May 20, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  2. Janis

Parents, teach your kids to use the speaker phone until the FCC tells us differently. Padded holster sounds good.

May 20, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
    • Starr, formerly know as vincent

Speaker phone, that's a great idea. Although not always convenient. I agree with you.

May 20, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Janis......
      You are so absolutely right!

May 20, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  3. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I hardly ever use my cell phone or my home telephone.

May 20, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
    • nancyinoregon

Same here! I get enough phone time all day at work!

May 20, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
    • Janis

No news is good news and you are alot healthier for it too, Gloria. LOL

May 20, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Mine too... I work and home with my blackberry too.

May 20, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  4. lisal -canada

not keeping cellphone in pocket? oh dear – carry mine in back pocket a lot ...

May 20, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  5. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

My answer is no.......Cellphones are not safe as well can be harm your brain or can have cancer as well, I use blackberry text only when I have send someone without cellphone as well.

May 20, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
    • Janis

I use text and e-mail alot too. People are too busy to talk on the phone anymore unless it's a quick direction or meet you type of thing.

May 20, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  6. Starr, formerly know as vincent

I'm a mom and i am concerned (saw Dr. Gupta's report earlier). I plan to contact all 3 of my daughters to discuss this. However, i am concerned that they just won't listen to me.
    If i have to, i'll buy them each ear pieces! This is a medical issue that can be addressed by simple means. Use a head set and put your phone in a pocket book or carry it in a small fanny pack.
    Thank you Dr. Gupta for bringing this issue to our attention.
    I don't have a cell phone yet. But if i get one, i will certainly will use an ear piece and keep the phone away from my body.

May 20, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
    • nancyinoregon

Sounds wise, Starr. I have a cell phone in my purse, for emergencies only. I often wonder if it's worth paying for-would I be able to operate it if I'm upside down in a river in the car, anyway?!! I'm just not a fan of cell phones, no matter how convenient they are to many people. This report makes me feel a little relieved!

May 20, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
      • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yes!!!!! I agree!!!

May 20, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good point Starr...... You have to talk your kids, if they tried listen you as well, get education what they have learn about cellphones as well.

May 20, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  7. Lori

What does cause brain cancer? Several children at my son's past preschool have died from brain cancer and the founder has it. Is it just a coincidence?

May 20, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
    • nancyinoregon

Oh my goodness, that is a tragic number of incidence.

May 20, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  8. Janis

Remember when they told us we have nothing to worry about when cell phones first came out and questions were asked? I just knew it. What about microwave energy, high voltage wires? Lots of questions now.

May 20, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  9. lisal -canada

i have a blackberry which i use mostly for short emails (much preferred over calls anyway – i use a lot of voicemail) – when i don't use an earpiece, i try to alternate left-and-right side usage.

May 20, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  10. Paula, Colorado

It's unacceptable that the regime in Syria continues in chaotic violence against peaceful protesters.

May 20, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I agree, Paula!!!!!!!! Good point!!!!

May 20, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  11. Kaytee

I don't remember the president "declaring war" against anyone.

May 20, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  12. Lori

Who doesn't press their cell phone to their ear when talking?

May 20, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  13. Kaytee

If other presients have done it, you don't have a case buddy.

May 20, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  14. Starr, formerly know as vincent

I believe it is Important to get Congress' approval to continue with actions in Lybia.

Excellent questions Anderson.

May 20, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  15. Kaytee

Lol, "if I had been there I would have been against that too"! This guy is a joke.

May 20, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  16. Janis

Here we go again. The GOP needs to start being more specific about what THEY would do instead of bashing Obama as their campain platform. GOP focus and tell us what you would do to solve our problems if you want us to vote for your party. Quit blaming Obama and focus on specific problem solving.

May 20, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  17. Janis

I thought it was a UN/NATO engagement and we are a part of it – is that still breaking the law or is this just another Obama slice and dice?

May 20, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  18. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

WoW! Stay safe!

May 20, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  19. Starr, formerly know as vincent

I thank you Anderson, for keeping us posted on Syria. I don't know what can be done there as the US has limited power to use against Syria.
    My thoughts and prayers are with the Syrian people, who, like so many others, want their freedom. These videos, even unconfirmed, demonstrate the courage of the Syrian people. May God bless them and may they find the freedom they are so boldly seeking.
    Also, i hope the woman speaking remains protected and will not be found by the Syrian forces. I appreciate her courage and the information she brings us consistently.
    I believe that President Obama is doing what he can for Syria. Again, the USA has little power to affect Syria in any serious way.

May 20, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  20. Janis

AC has so much credibility with some of these countries. He has a gift.

May 20, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  21. Tanya Malott

Why bother with this questioning over the salacious details? What does the maid have to gain/lose? (not much) What does DSK have to gain/lose? (a lot) Assuming men who behave badly do not do so as a 'one-off' event, and that he has shown this pattern of this behavior before .....Who was previously covering his tracks, perhaps paying off the would-be accusers? And why let him get caught this time? I want to know the potential consequences/domino effect of his absence from the IMF, and from running for higher office in France.

May 20, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  22. Sharon Hastings

Just got in but am catching up. Sounds like there might be a few questions about the sexual assault. We will have to wait for the evidence. I tend to believe she was assaulted though. I believe he probably threatened her or she was very scared. We'll let our justice system take care of it.

May 20, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
    • Michele

And what are the questions? Powerful man with a history of assualt and disrespect of women or is it the fact she's a 'mere' housekeeper? It's always so disheatening when women are so much harder on women.

May 20, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
      • nancyinoregon

These men seem to know who to prey upon, don't they? The unempowered.

May 20, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  23. lisal -canada

the regimes of syria and those others which use such violence just cannot imagine another approach – they are pushing and pushing to keep the authority they have – it would be so much better if these leaders could pull the people of their countries up and make positive differences – i think the people and the regimes would both be much happier ultimately

May 20, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
    • nancyinoregon

I think you've hit the nail on the head, lisal. Some people cannot even imagine any other approach than violence, force, coercion.

May 20, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  24. Chi

My God! Really. People must learn to talk to eachother instead of violence.

May 20, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  25. Janis

Oh, this is all so bad. The courage of these people. It would be so easy for them to go back to their homes and shut the door and let Assaud carry on as usual. I wonder if he would find everyone he could identify and make them disappear like Gadhafi? So sorry for Syria. Be strong good people of Syria.

May 20, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  26. nancyinoregon

Good evening, people.

May 20, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hi Nancy!!!!! 🙂

May 20, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
      • nancyinoregon

Hello! Happy Friday evening!

May 20, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  27. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Anderson,
    That is so shocking news I have seen this video.......... I could not watch that video, It is so scary my mind, Regime controls his power so stronger kill own people as well........... YIKES! 🙁

May 20, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
    • Janis

I think this is going to be like Libya. Bad.

May 20, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
      • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

You are so absolutely right, Janis!!!!!!

May 20, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  28. Chi

🙁 that's raw. Bloody!

May 20, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
  29. Janis

We could all use speaker instead of the earpiece. Can you imagine a walk in the park with everyone on speaker phone? LOL I've always wondered about holding any device close to your head.

May 20, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
  30. Lori

Hi Anderson! Hi Everyone! Good evening and happy Friday!

May 20, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hi Lori,
      Happy Friday to you, too 🙂

May 20, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
      • Lori

Hi Megan! Happy Friday!

May 20, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  31. Starr, formerly know as vincent

Good evening Anderson & Team 360.

Hello, Nancy, Megan, JoAnn, Mike, Casey, Nichole, Nina, Chi, Sharon H., everyone.

TGIF!

May 20, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
    • nancyinoregon

Good evening, Starr! I've just come in...late.

May 20, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Hi Starr!!!!!!!! 🙂

May 20, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  32. Paula, Colorado

–Looking forward to your report on cell phones.

May 20, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  33. Alia

Mr. Strauss-Khan is a professional and I do not believe a man of his status will risk doing something like that. This might just be a whole setup for money. Should we not consider that a man at the age of 62 might not have the strength to force someone to do such acts?

May 20, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
    • Michele

Really? Oh brother....

May 20, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  34. lisal -canada

this imf case is really confusing

May 20, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  35. Janis

You also have to remember she is from a country that repressed women and may not have tried to fight as you describe. She's a stranger in a strange land so to speak and could have been scared to death of doing anything to cause her to be sent back to her previous repression. You have to hand it to her for telling her supervisor. She felt it was her duty being a good employee.

May 20, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  36. Tina

I am upset with Mark Geragos when he says that a woman cannot be forced to perform oral sex. If a woman feels her life is in danger......Ask many women who have had this happen to them! This is the type of comment that makes women afraid to come forward!

May 20, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
    • nancyinoregon

Did he say that? Yipes. I've come in late tonight and missed that...what a comment.

May 20, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  37. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good point both of them, They are right, he should have stay in jail as well, I agree with Elliot and Mark saying now.

May 20, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  38. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

When one knows one is guilty of committing a crime, and he is confronted with an arrest, one just go peacefully.

May 20, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good point, Gloria!!! I agree.

May 20, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
  39. Chi

😀 "... and she can't stop herself from doing that"? What a comment!

May 20, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  40. Janis

I don't care how much money he has, if I were younger all I would think is 'dirty old man' and politely decline.

May 20, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
  41. Victor Feldstein

I don't know why Strauss-Kahn was given bail so early.

May 20, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  42. Kenya

Sorry but not even inquiring why you're being arrested screams guilty!

May 20, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
    • Victor Feldstein

It's true, but I think that the US didn't want an international uproar on their hands.

May 20, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  43. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Had he not forgot his phone, it would had been a clean get away!

May 20, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
  44. Lisa in Louisville

If DSK's wife has an apartment in NYC, why was he staying at a hotel to begin with?

May 20, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good question Lisa......
      Former IMF Chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn already have trouble what he raped the maid where he was staying hotel as well.

May 20, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
  45. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Megan, Isha, David G, Martina, Nicole, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Mike, Casey, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Jane, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, Lori, BettyAnn, Heather, Starr, Sharon, Casey, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Dulcie, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Sree, Nancy, Sue, Kenya, Libby, Nina, Karyn, Indiana, Jana, Chi, Samantha, Marybeth, Merl, Lily, others and my friend Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!
    Thank God It's Friday Night!!!!
    Couldn't wait forward this weekend!
    Thanks for coming in for join us tonight!
    We have breaking news right now IMF Chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn already released from jail, his wife is staying this apartment in NYC.

May 20, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
  46. Chi

Oh Man!

May 20, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  47. Janis

Hello everyone.

I think anyone that can afford it should stay at that hotel. If they treat their credible guests like they do their staff, you are safe and well taken care of. Good for them.

May 20, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  48. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi–Happy Friday! Sounds like a fascinating program tonight.
    –Interesting development about DSK.

May 20, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  49. Chi

Evening AC and AC360 🙂

May 20, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
  50. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone! Greetings!

May 20, 2011 at 10:00 pm |