New Photos from Inside Osama bin Laden's Compound: Join the Live Chat
Osama Bin Laden, seen in an undated photo, attending a meeting in an undisclosed place.
May 4th, 2011

New Photos from Inside Osama bin Laden's Compound: Join the Live Chat

There are new photos from inside Osama bin Laden's compound showing the bloody scene. And there are snapshots from the yard showing pieces of the damaged U.S. Navy helicopter. Could it be our first look at a new kind of military technology – a new kind of Black Hawk? We'll dig into that and more.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. joe

I dont and will not believe that bin laden is dead i would like to see pictures they had no problem putting sudams hanging online

May 4, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
    • Karen

Which I felt was utterly a mistake as well.

May 4, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
      • lilly

The decision to release saddam's hanging was done by the Iraqui Government not our own. I agree with Karen that releasing pictures or video will make things worse for us.

May 4, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  2. Terry Hagins

President Obama Made the right Decision. America got its man, and now let it be known that America will not hesitate to seek Justice. A few pictures will not make the difference either way. They did show the towers coming down over and over, release the photo's, let it stir them that they may show thier faces, so that they too may become silent. God Bless America. We are standing for what is Right.We Stand together as a Nation.

May 4, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  3. moniteque

who payed for his burial oh yeah we did the taxs payers and we can't see no pictures we payed for them why not?

May 4, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
    • MaryBeth

He was buried at sea. No cost incurred. Except maybe for a white sheet?

May 4, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
      • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Marybeth....
        It was white sheet and wrap up the body to protect waking up.

May 4, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
      • Suzie

You think he was really buried at sea?

May 4, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  4. Karen

The POTUS is accused of "campaigning" everytime he says anything now. That is the new tactic. I've even heard people say this about Sunday night. Was he supposed to just tweet it? Getting so disgusted with people. And as for the Bush thing, I'm getting tired of that being brought up. It was a gracious invitation and a gracious refusal. Move. On. We do not have enough controversy without "inventing" it?

May 4, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  5. Penny

He's dead! Call it a day. Get a life or a real job and move on!

Jesus! Nothing else going on anywhere else in the damned world?

May 4, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  6. Jo Ann, Ohio

I am surprised that the media is so supportive of Obama's decision not to release the photos when this war has been heavily documented by photojournalists world wide. Not having a photo of the dead Osama bin Laden is like reading a book with the last chapter missing. It is history and it should be shown.

May 4, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
    • Karen

So would you believe it?

May 4, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
      • Jo Ann, Ohio

Yes, I believe Osama bin Laden is dead, but I am still not in favor of censorship. After all, Obama was the one who overturned Geo Bush's decision not to show the flagged draped coffins of American soldiers returning from the war. Leave censorship to the dictators, this is the United States.

May 4, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
        • Heleni

If you have family in jeapordy in the middle east you would feel differently.

May 4, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
          • Karen

Agree. Photographing returning caskets offered no threat. This is completely different.

May 4, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  7. Gail McGee

As a child psychologist, I totally agree with those who think Obama was correct in not releasing dead Osama pictures. Everyone has a dark side that automatically looks at accidents, but do we really think this would be healthy for american children, other children in the world, and all the mentally imbalanced people in the world? I'm glad Obama's moral integrity supersedes his need for stoking a political cheeleading rally with gruesome images.

May 4, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
    • Alex

well children should leave the room if they will show photos or kids should be more mature about it. sooner or later this stuff will be in text books. im 15 and some of my family was killed on 9/11 i want to see his face, i wanna make sure its him

May 4, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  8. Derek

Hello Anderson, Several points to be made here. The adinimistation does not want to release the photo, but will have them leaked utterly within 10 days. If the effort was placed in the burial at sea and it was handled properly, then release the burial or video of the funeral. The dots are not connecting here. Bring forth the evidence now. The crash of the helicopter, give me a break....I question that this even/mission was staged. More is certain to uncover and the people of the middle east will be flocking to abbotatad since he was supposedly killed theres to moan or to the dead see or persion gulf to offer him a shrine. His residence will become the new Mecca for some Muslim, unfortuatley.

May 4, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
  9. Patty FL

I guess security really is not that. How can anyone purchase photos of 3 dead men at Bin Laden's compound when it is top secret? Anyone out there has a thought on this. Bothers me!

May 4, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
  10. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

I thought the left over military copter was destroyed?

May 4, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
  11. Janis

The internet is very powerful – for good and for bad. Your choice of what you believe. I suspect there's going to be lots of garbage circulating in the next few days or weeks. I'm not looking forward to that.

May 4, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
  12. crystal paris from st. louis

Thank u navy seals!!!! We r so proud of u!! It's long over due but nevertheless a job well done!!!!

May 4, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
  13. ralph

I sincerely believe those who doubt wait a few days...l am sure bin lidan will want to be the first to disbute his demise. Its about time....

May 4, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
  14. Sharon Hastings

Didn't the Seals say they blew up that helicopter? Apparently so that no one could see or copy the technology of it? It doesn't look blown up.

May 4, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
    • Lori

I also heard that the helicopter had been destroyed.

May 4, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
      • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yes, It has....... Already destory right away.

May 4, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
    • lilly

They propably just blew up the computers anmd satellite info that's in those choppers not the whole helicopter. Remember they needd to get out asap with Pakistan knowing about it. If an large explosion had gone off, Pakistan would have know that our military was in their country.

May 4, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
      • Karen

Agree. Usually I believe the most sensitive thing about birds are the software (these days anyway). Still, too bad they weren't able to retrieve the big tail section. But I imagine that would have been a wee bit difficult.

May 4, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
    • Justin

The cab (where the people sit) has all the good stuff. The tail is what you see, the cab of it is gone.

May 4, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  15. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

I am not interested in seeing the photos, anyway!

May 4, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
    • Lori

I agree. There is nothing good to look at there.

May 4, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
  16. Alex

Me personalty i think we should see the photos just censor the really gruesome parts. just to makes the people that don't believe start to realize there wrong

May 4, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  17. Paul

Plain and simple NO PHOTOS.......NO RE-ELECTION...........we the tax payers deserve to see what our money is doing and that means photos of Bin Laden........Thank-you.

May 4, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
    • Heleni

The american people will made the decision next year if the president deserve reelection, however as someone who has member of my family in middle east I do not want to see the photos incite violence against them.

May 4, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  18. Carrie, Petty, IN

If your top military advisors tell you not to release the photo of OBL, fearing the safety of our US troops, you had better listen.

May 4, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
    • Rose from Muscoy, Calif

I agree.

May 4, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  19. Mike in TX

yea and capitol hill can"t keep their mouths shut even for natl security

May 4, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
  20. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

Somebody sent me one of those fake photo of Bin Laden in FaceBook the other day. It even fooled me.

May 4, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
  21. Tom G

Have to say that I'm concerned that any of our lawmakers could have fallen for the fake Bin Laden Photo on the internet...especially since it's such a well publicized hoax, and they have official word that much more damage was done than that depicted by the hoax..

Scary, scary, scary.

May 4, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
    • Karen

I can't believe they are that stupid. As though it would just be sent out on email. Makes me wonder if it was done to just add one more bit of undermining for POTUS. The GOP has a lot of tricks like that.

May 4, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
      • Chris

Nancy Pelosi called President Bush after bin Laden was killed and thanked President Bush for his role. Must we be partisan at a time like this. GOP has no more tricks than the other guys.

May 4, 2011 at 10:41 pm |
  22. Lori

Just because the photos are not official does not mean that the photos are not real.

May 4, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  23. Janis

In defense of the WH, the actual details were not available until the Seals were debriefed. Give us a break – there is no conspiracy.

May 4, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  24. Matthew rizzo

All of us need proof that osama is dead the safe way is for local news channels to show us those grewsome images.

May 4, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  25. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

I believe the President did the right thing by not releasing those photos also. Whatever happened there at the compound should stay there.

May 4, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  26. Mike

the right wing radicals can't make up ther minds. One day they're saying we shouldn't care what Middle Easterners think about us and the next day they want the pictures to prove to them that bin Laden is dead.

May 4, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  27. Vanessa

Anderson, there are so many technology tools like PhotoShop that can minimize the "shock value" but mean the world to the American people in terms of putting closure to the last 10 years...

May 4, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  28. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Bloggers,
    I agree with all of you, Our president Obama is right, We don't need picture of Osama bin Laden futher as move on.... I am glad that Obama won't release these gruesome picture, Obama is doing right thing! 🙂

May 4, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  29. kirk

This is why they should post the pov cam video that we all know the seals were wearing..the seal team left witnessess,,which while humanitarian,,leaves room for lies to be told..show the video mr pres,,show the video..

May 4, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
    • Karen

Why should the military be required to do that? Seriously, were this all about some civilian family or something, I think the hue and cry would be justified, but think about who this concerns. Really? We want to know if it was "fair" treatment?

May 4, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  30. Tom G

Have to say that I'm concerned that any of our lawmakers could have fallen for the fake Bin Laden Photo on the internet...especially since it's such a well publicized hoax, and they have official word that much more damage was done that that depicted by the hoax..

Scary, scary, scary.

May 4, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  31. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

Hi, Anderson, and staff...I don't feel bad about what happened. Bin Laden killed 3,000. of our citizen. So, what if he died a certain way!

May 4, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
    • Jo Ann, Ohio

I totally agree. The media didn't have any problem showing photos of the 9/11 victims jumping to their deaths why do they have a problem showing photos of a dead known terrorist?

May 4, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
      • Anthonia-(Bay Area)

Im pretty sure its about having respect for the dead...besides if Obama releases those photos of bin Laden, people would misuse them...

May 4, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
        • Jo Ann, Ohio

In my opinion, terrorists do not deserve respect, dead or alive.

May 4, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
      • Heleni

Our troops were not in the line of fire then. It is another story when you have family in the middle east.

May 4, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
        • Jo Ann, Ohio

Just the fact that the United States killed Osama bin Laden will make things worse for the troops. I think the celebrations in the streets here in the United States, shown on every news channel after the announcement of his death, may have inflamed Muslim radicals as much, if not more than any photo would have.

May 4, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
    • Gail McGee

Those pictures caused many American children to have terrible nightmares.

May 4, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  32. Patty FL

How did Reuters purchase high level security pictures today.

May 4, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
    • MaryBeth

Those were apparently taken by the Pakistanis.

May 4, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  33. Sharon Hastings

I doubt we have heard every little blow by blow of how Bin Laden was killed and where in the home and whether he was reaching for a weapon or not. These accounts change daily and will probably continue to do so. Doesn't matter to me. He's dead. I'll trust the judgement of how, where, and in what manner to the brave soldiers who accepted this mission.

May 4, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
    • Krasi, Houston

I agree. It really is not important. And I am so happy the President decided not to release the pictures. Releasing pictures of a dead terrorist serves no practical reason and would only add to conspiracy theories.

May 4, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  34. Stew

I have to agree with the decision not to release the pictures – they would be used as a recruitment tool by those seeking "vengence". Also, let us remember that this creature extended no mercy to the thousands that he ordered to their deaths and, as the saying goes, 'he who lives by the sword, dies by the sword.' But let it also be clear that he did NOT die as a martyr: he did not 'give' his life, his life was taken from him, just as was done to his victims.

May 4, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  35. Janis

I hope we can move on and leave this behind us. It's done, it's final. There will be lots of rumours, innuendo and conspiracy theories. I don't need to know any more information. It's becoming too morbid. Leave it to the professional security officials.

May 4, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
    • Jo Ann, Ohio

I doubt the families of the 9/11 victims or the soldiers that gave their lives searching for bin Laden can "move on".

May 4, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  36. Lisa in Louisville

Why do people want to look at gruesome pictures of OBL? Looking at a still photo won't make believers out of those that don't believe he's been killed.

May 4, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
    • Patrick Kansas City

I don't want to see them....but please, every member of Congress should...so that they will be positive and not allow this to become political in anyway.. if 100% of our representatives can come out and say..this is true. then this debate can go away. I am glad the man is gone, by what ever means...Sad that the world has come to this.

Patrick

May 4, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
    • Krasi, Houston

Exactly! What's with people's fascination with looking at horrible pictures?

May 4, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  37. kaytee

I agree with the president, That is not who we are.
    There is no reason to use the pictures as a trophy. Who would it benifit? Why put soldiers lives at risk just show nonbelievers who probably will not change their minds after seeing the pictures. We've all seen how well that worked with the birth cert.

May 4, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
  38. Lori

Do we really need the details? It seems that further details would just stir up hostility

May 4, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
    • Jo Ann, Ohio

Do you not believe the fact that Osama bin Laden was killed by the United States is enough to stir up hostility?

May 4, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
      • Lori

I agree with you. However, I think that pictures aired after the death would add insult to injury. It would make things too emotional, especially for people who were close to OBL

May 4, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
        • Jo Ann, Ohio

Why should we care about them? They chose to associate with a terrorist.

May 4, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
          • Karen

Maybe we should care about the people stationed overseas. That's who would get any attacks. Man, people are so cavalier. And the people who don't believe it still won't.

May 4, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
            • Jo Ann, Ohio

It is naive to believe that the troops would be in more danger because of a photo than they would be because Osama bin Laden was killed by the United States. Do you really believe they are not in more danger now with or without that photo?

May 4, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
              • Karen

I think it more likely embassy workers and civilians would be in more danger. But mostly, I (lefty, liberal yes) think you accept the military's security risk assessment on this. Maybe that's just me.

May 4, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  39. Lori

There is a picture on the internet of him after he was shot

May 4, 2011 at 10:05 pm |
    • MaryBeth

That is fake. It's been proven as Photoshopped.

May 4, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
    • Sharon Hastings

Lori, they are saying that those are a fraud and not him. Even some of our congressmen fell for the fake photos and those are the people that have been saying they saw the pictures. Now they are embarrassed.

May 4, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
      • Anthonia-(Bay Area)

I agree, I can believe I fell for the misleading photos either! I'm pretty sure, Obama is not going to release those photos of OBL anyway.

May 4, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  40. Janis

Good evening everyone. I'm so glad the President decided not to release the photos for lots of reasons..

May 4, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
  41. Lori

Hi Anderson. Hi Everyone. Good evening.

May 4, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
  42. Anthonia-(Bay Area)

I respect Obama's decision to not release the photos of Osamas body to the public. Its just disrespectful and barbaric!

May 4, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  43. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! It's great to see you live from Ground Zero once again. Sounds like a fascinating program tonight–interesting photos from the events at the Compound. I'm glad Pres. Obama has decided not to release photos of Osama bin Laden at his death.

May 4, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  44. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Megan, Isha, Jane, Martina, Nicole, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Mike, Casey, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, Lori, Heather, BettyAnn, Starr, Sharon, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Dulcie, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Sree, Nancy, Sue, Kenya, Libby, Nina, Samantha, Chi, Jana, Karyn, Lily, Merl, Marybeth, others and my friend Facebook/Twitter Bloggers!!!!
    Happy Wednesday night!!!

May 4, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  45. lilly

good everyone! hope you all are doing well:)

May 4, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  46. Sharon Hastings

Good evening Anderson and everyone. Thank you Navy Seals.

May 4, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
  47. MaryBeth

I thought the helicopter was destroyed?

May 4, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yes, It was already destory helicopter 3 days ago.

May 4, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
      • MaryBeth

Well, then what is that helicopter? Is it ours? I'm confused.

May 4, 2011 at 10:05 pm |
        • Jim

I'm sure it's ours. That part must not have been destroyed.

May 4, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
          • MaryBeth

Then that was a HUGE mistake. We should never have left that thing intact.

May 4, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
          • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

You're right, Jim...... Also there was most wrecked some half. And Yes, Mary,...... It's ours.

May 4, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
  48. Anthonia-(Bay Area)

Hello Everyone!

May 4, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
  49. MaryBeth

Good evening, everyone. Glad the WH decided to not release the photos.

May 4, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
    • lilly

I'm also happy, I also believe that releasing those photos will make things worse for us.

May 4, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  50. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone! Greetings!

May 4, 2011 at 10:00 pm |