May 3rd, 2011

Bin Laden was unarmed when killed, White House says

Abbottabad, Pakistan (CNN) - Osama bin Laden was not armed but did put up resistance when U.S. forces entered the compound he was in, then killed him, White House spokesman Jay Carney said Tuesday.

Providing new details of the events that transpired early Monday in Pakistan, Carney said U.S. Navy SEALs went floor-to-floor clearing the three-story compound where bin Laden's family lived along with others.

Three people were killed on the first floor, including a woman, Carney said.

U.S. forces then moved upstairs where they found bin Laden in a room with a woman believed to be his wife - both unarmed, Carney said. She rushed the U.S. forces and was shot in the leg but not killed. Bin Laden resisted and was shot and killed, Carney said.

On Monday, President Barack Obama's top counterterrorism adviser, John Brennan, said bin Laden was resisting and had a weapon, though he added that it was unclear whether bin Laden had fired a shot.

Asked Tuesday why the decision was made to shoot and kill bin Laden if he was not armed, Carney said that "he resisted." He did not explain how bin Laden resisted.

FULL STORY
Post by:
Filed under: 360° Radar • 360º Follow • Osama bin Laden • Pakistan
  1. Mary

Think back to images we have seen time and time again of beheadings, executions, and bodies lying dead in the street at the hands of this man that hid in the shadows for 10 years. Making his photos public, only mirrors the acts of the terrorist. Although we might tell ourselves that intentions differ, the act is the same. For anyone who doesn't think the death is real, don't. it makes no difference in my life and nor will it changes the events of 9/11.

May 3, 2011 at 11:59 pm |
  2. Doreen E - CT

Whether bin Laden was armed or not should have no bearing on his being killed. None of the passengers in the planes, or the victims in the towers or the Pentagon were armed, either, yet they were murdered. A job well done, Seal Team Six!

May 3, 2011 at 11:28 pm |
  3. Gabe & Catrina

The media showed our American people falling from the world trade center on 9/11, and the the hanging of Sadam Husang on national TV. Why then is watching or seeing the man who killed inasant American people, get shot or barried at sea in question? The American people deserve justice we deserve the right to see and witness the killing of a heartless individual this information is being protected from who????? we are the ones who suffered, our families and friends. Please allow justice through the freedom of our right to view the killng of Osama Ben Laden.

May 3, 2011 at 11:23 pm |
  4. Bill

Anderson,
    I wish Gary Berntsen had been on after the discovery that Bin Laden was not armed. It was a capture or kill mission. The original $25m was offered dead or alive and it is of no signifigance that he was not armed. You know the charges of the international community against Bin Laden and the best thing for all was done. I wish you would avoid the debate over armed or not, he got what we all know is best for the international community.

May 3, 2011 at 11:19 pm |
  5. Connie S

So what if he WAS unarmed! Do you think the 3,000 people killed on 9-11-2001 were ARMED? I seriously doubt that my cousin's 23 yr.old son was armed, working at Cantor Fitzgerald...This is a bit of closure for the families of the victims.

May 3, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  6. Denise

I am absolutely not trying to be politically correct. I don't care if he was unarmed when the Navy Seals did what they needed to do. The world Trade Center and those planes were full of people who were unarmed. President Obama you did the right thing and I stand behind you 100%. I don't know who is participating on those re-election polls, but what I do know is that neither I or my friends have been asked to participate in those polls. According to everyone I know even before pre death of Bin Laden they are prepared to vote for you.

May 3, 2011 at 8:33 pm |
  7. aliceNYC

Of course he was, the coward had others do his work for him. He felt so comfortable there, I hate to say this but I wish the Seals had taken alll of them out... we dont need his seed growing in this world. Sounds awful I know but those little kids will grow to avenge their father.

May 3, 2011 at 8:00 pm |