Bin Laden raid also yielded info about al Qaeda: Join the Live Chat
President Obama and his administrative and national security officials receive updates about the attack on Osama bin Laden. (Photo credit: Pete Souza/White House)
May 2nd, 2011

Bin Laden raid also yielded info about al Qaeda: Join the Live Chat

In addition to resulting in the death of Osama bin Laden, the U.S. raid conducted by Navy SEALs also collected computer equipment and sensitive details that could be used to thwart al Qaeda, U.S. officials tell CNN.

Also tonight on AC360°, new details about the special forces operation ordered by the White House and how the administration confirmed that bin Laden had, in fact, been killed.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Heather - Spokane, WA

I had a hard time believing that he was dead this morning until I saw the DNA results. Someone who has a 25 million bounty on his head would possibly have a doppelganger. Thankfully, if he did have one, we got the right one!

May 2, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  2. Nalini

Whether or not he was seen is not the only thing, people should still have observed the place and would therefore have had questions. What were the neighbours thinking?

Anderson, I would like President Obama to provide us with a Death Certificate for Osama. Maybe Donald Trump has seen it?

May 2, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
  3. Jenn

Who was providing Osama bin Laden's dialysis while he was in the compound?

May 2, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
  4. Derek

What is the reaction in the Middle East of the death of Osama Bin Laden?

May 2, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
    • Lori

I have heard that some people do not think that Bin Laden is dead.

May 2, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
    • Janis

I've seen some entries on Twitter that referred to the news as "the death of a holy warrior".

May 2, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
      • MaryBeth

Yes, I have heard the same thing. He is a martyr to Islam. Which any Muslim will tell you is just wrong. Islam is definitely NOT what Osama practiced, if he practiced anything at all.

May 2, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  5. Kyle lara

Were the Navy SEALs the only ones involved, or were there some other special operation forces. Like Green Berets or Army Rangers?

May 2, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
    • MaryBeth

So far only SEALs and the CIA have been mentioned.

May 2, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
      • Kyle lara

Thank you, I doubt it was the SEALs alone.

May 2, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
    • Kyle lara

Green Berets....(U.S. Army Special Forces)

May 2, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  6. sandi follette

Fitting that this program is telecast from ground zero

May 2, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
  7. chad

how do we know hes dead besides wut we are told?

May 2, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
    • Heather - Spokane, WA

They did a DNA test

May 2, 2011 at 10:23 pm |

Yes, They did..

May 2, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  8. Jo Ann, Ohio

Great work by the CIA for their strategy and especially to the Navy Seals who risked their lives to make this happen.

May 2, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
    • Nancy in Oregon

Absolutely, Jo Ann. What courage and cunning.

May 2, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
  9. Nancy in Oregon

The SEALS and Special Forces folks are so, so brave and skilled. So were those who gave the orders...this was a big deal. Horrible things could have resulted if the mission failed.

May 2, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
    • MaryBeth

We would never have heard anything if it had failed. There might have been a story about soldiers dying in a training op or something, but we would never know the truth. Neither would their families have known what happened.

May 2, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
      • Nancy in Oregon

I have no idea MaryBeth, I really have not. I could well believe that had it failed in the sense that Bin Laden ended up with some of them as hostages, a horrible scenario would have unfolded.

May 2, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
    • Pam - San Diego

So true Nancy!!

May 2, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
    • Janis

They practiced over and over. No matter how much you practice something could happen – it all comes down to your wits. They are very special people and I'm proud of them all for a job well done.

May 2, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
    • Lori

They are very skilled.

May 2, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  10. Kenneth

Why is the body going to be buried at sea?

May 2, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
  11. MaryBeth

I agree. No reason to desecrate him. His death is enough. No need to stoop to his and the terrorists' level.

May 2, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
    • Nancy in Oregon

I totally agree, Mary Beth. We do not need to emulate those we despise.

May 2, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
    • Krasi, Houston

I agree. Also, if we don't like it when they celebrate when Americans die, we shouldn't celebrate when someone there dies. In this case, it is a relief to find out Osama is gone, but no need to treat it as a holiday.

May 2, 2011 at 10:19 pm |
    • lilly

I'm with you, we shouldn't give anymore press to a mass murderer. There is already enough lunatics out there making him a martyr. We shouldn't contribute it.

May 2, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
    • Lyndy Jacob

We for so long had to bear the vision of the horrors of 9/11 and other acts of terror this man bestowed upon our great nation, I want to see pictures of Osama Bin Laden laying there with his head blown off, as proof that the snake is gone for good, We deserve to see it, we should have the balls to not be sensitive to the Jihadists out there.

May 2, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  12. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

"It might not bring any closure to the families, but it does bring 'Justice'!"

May 2, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  13. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Bloggers,
    Our former president Bush did not success kill Osama bin Laden, He fail us, He tried to catch him and it is fail for Bush!
    A mission accomplish for our currently Obama!

May 2, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
    • Mike, formerly from Syracuse

The intelligence that started this was obtained in 2007 when Bush was President. It took 4 years after that to pice it all together.

May 2, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
      • Nancy in Oregon

I think a lot of people honestly do expect things to move more quickly than they realistically can. There is almost always much more involved and at stake than meets the eye. I can well believe this would take a good while and involve step by step (and a few missteps too!) Aha, like Powell just said.

May 2, 2011 at 10:20 pm |

Nancy,
          You're right!

May 2, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
      • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

No, They could not find Osama bin Laden..... They tried search him long time.... Bush was not have authorize to order find him, Too late for Bush got him as well.

May 2, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
      • Chris

That's my understanding as well. I think like 9/11 itself, it's a time to set partisanship aside. And unlike 9/11, it's time for everyone to be happy about what has happened.

May 2, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
    • Janis

I agree with you Megan. Bush seemed to be fixed on Iraq rather than Bin Ladin. The Obama administration vowed to bring him to justice from the very beginning. Obama showed true grit and patience.

May 2, 2011 at 10:21 pm |
      • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yes, Good point!!!! I agree with you...... Janis.

May 2, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
      • Marilyn - Livonia, MI

I totally agree with you, Janis.

May 2, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
    • Chris

I think if one feels that way, would we not say then that President Clinton failed as he did want to capture or kill bin Laden as much as Bush and Obama did.

May 2, 2011 at 10:22 pm |

Chris,
        Good point there, I agree with you, also........ Clinton did not get him either too.

May 2, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
      • MaryBeth

Osama has been wanted by us long before 9/11. I think we were close to getting him during Clinton, sometime around the Blackhawk Down incident but I'm not sure.

May 2, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
    • Mike in TX

I didn't agree with many of the former Presidents policies but would say that no one could question his commitment to a constant effort to find bin Laden and bring him to justice just as no one can say Pres Obama has not been totally committed to the same cause.

May 2, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  14. Nancy in Oregon

Ann, the conspiracy theories will float around even they showed us the grotesque photos. They are a fact of life, I think, esp. when people don't want one thing to be true and want another to be the case. I don't think gruesome photos are in order, personally.

May 2, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
    • Ann

I agree. I didn't like the photos and videos surrounding Saddam Hussein either.

May 2, 2011 at 10:22 pm |
      • Nancy in Oregon

That's how I felt. There's something barbaric about people pouring over the photos of dead bodies...since supposedly it's the barbarism of people like Bin Laden that we despise, it chills me to have us think of indulging in it.

May 2, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  15. Heather - Spokane, WA

It was the radical Muslims that created him, not the Muslim faith

May 2, 2011 at 10:15 pm |
  16. Pam - San Diego

What did they do with his son's body?

May 2, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I think they used the sheet and wrap up the body and drop the sea.

May 2, 2011 at 10:18 pm |
  17. Nancy in Oregon

Good evening, people. What a momentous event. Not an end to terrorism, I'm sure, but an end to a one source of evil.

May 2, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  18. Pam - San Diego

Does anyone know where they put him in the sea at?

May 2, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
    • MaryBeth

I believe it was the Arabian Sea.

May 2, 2011 at 10:14 pm |
      • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yes, You're right..... Marybeth.

May 2, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
    • Mike, formerly from Syracuse

I'm sure they do, but they won't release it. The body would have been weighted down and dropped in deep water. In just a short time, sea-life will dispose of it.

May 2, 2011 at 10:16 pm |
    • Nicole Netherlands

Arabean sea, just below Pakistan

May 2, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
  19. Janis

I heard it had been in the planning stages for eight months before the actual execution of the plan. The real time concept is a real eye opener too. If you can see into an Egyptian revolution, so to speak, imagine what the White House was watching Sunday night. I wonder if the soldiers who executyed the attack on UBL knew their president was right on their shoulder? That would give you strength to do anything.

May 2, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  20. Jo Ann, Ohio

Difficult to believe that Osama bin Laden is really dead. They do need to document his death and burial for history.

May 2, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  21. Heather - Spokane, WA

It's raids like this that the navy seals train for. Good job guys!

May 2, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
    • Leo - KC, MO

Ditto Heather!

May 2, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  22. Nina

Will this end American troops in Afghanistan

May 2, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yes, There is possible to end the war in Afghanstain anytime.... I hope they will bring our troops home.

May 2, 2011 at 10:20 pm |
      • Nina

Agreed, Megan
        I will be watching to see if we bring back out troops now! And if not, one must wonder why!

May 2, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  23. Nicole Netherlands

Good Evening Anderson, AC360 team,
    Starr, Emily, Jo Ann, Megan, Sharon, Heather, Mike, Nancy, Gloria, everyone!

What a last 24 hours
    I am thankful I was able to watch the President speak the words he did last night.
    Again a piece of world history I watched live on CNN
    Never imagined I would be so happy someone is dead.

I hope the world has taken a turn today.
    Most of all I hope the family and friends off all those who lost their lives on 9/11,
    Will have some kind of closure now.
    My heart goes out to them

May 2, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  24. Gretchen

This is Great for america,I hope this President finally gets his due respect.While others saber rattled and beat their chest,this president had a quiet humility and showed tremendous strength,GO NAVY SEALS we are so proud of you THANKYOU

May 2, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  25. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

So how can this house be right down the road from a Pakistani Army base and military academy without someone knowing? He was obviously being protected.

May 2, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
    • MaryBeth

Exactly! That's what everyone, including our gov't is asking. There are going to be very tough questions for Pakistan's gov't to answer. If Pakistan is playing both sides against the middle, we need to cut ties with them NOW. Not make them an enemy since they have nukes, but just cut ties with them.

May 2, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
    • Jo Ann, Ohio

Mike, I totally agree. How cold this compound be 100 yards from a military base and no one knew? Their military would have to be deaf, dumb, and blind.

May 2, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  26. Nalini

Good evening Anderson, everyone.
    Welcome back Anderson. I find it astonishing that Bin Laden was mere kilometres away from a Pakistani base and Abbotabad is so close to Islamabad. A mansion with a 16 ft. wall and no one investigated. Many questions to be answered.

May 2, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  27. MaryBeth

Yeah, that whole compound is weird! Someone had to be thinking "huh, that's a weird place to build." and no one did!! People just went along and no one in the Pakistani military asked questions. If this town was 1000 yards from the Pakistani version of West Point, it's amazing NO one asked about this million dollar house in a middle class neighborhood.

May 2, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  28. Sharon Hastings

I could hardly believe how long this mission was in the making. They did a mock up of that compound at Bagram so they could plan and practice the mission. I was shocked to see where he had been living. Says alot about what kind of any allie Pakistan really is.

May 2, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  29. tracy

The SEALS did a fantastic job. I am curious, though, as to why they are giving away all the details of how they found him. Doesn't that just show the rest of them what not to do? The ones they are looking for now will make sure to pick an average house, not burn their trash, have phone hookups etc.

May 2, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  30. Ann

Anyone think we're actually going to see picture or video proof of OBL's death? There's already conspiracy theories floating around....

May 2, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  31. Nina

Good evening everyone

May 2, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  32. Pam - San Diego

I feel like justice has been served.

May 2, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
  33. Janis

I was very surprised to see that he lived a life of relative luxury in such an obvious place. I had long ago thought he must have been under a pile of rubble somewhere in the mountains of Afghanistan.

May 2, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
    • BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

You know Osama could not have been operating a terrorist operation out of a cave. That was a cover up

May 2, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
    • Sally

He came from a pretty wealthy family- I always had my doubts that someone who led a rather lavish lifestyle would be willing to live in a cave for years on end...

May 2, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
      • Janis

Not living in a cave, but dead and decaying under a pile of rubble. I thought he may have died long ago and al-Qaida made him appear to be alive as a ruse.

May 2, 2011 at 10:17 pm |
  34. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

I can not believe that the good ole USA finally got Osama! WooHoo! Celebration time! so glad no American soldiers were injured. Great job Navy Seals! I love our military! My flag is flying high! i am a proud American today.

May 2, 2011 at 10:05 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I agree!!!! You're right!! We made it!

May 2, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  35. MaryBeth

I'm glad they buried him at sea. Like everyone else who thinks the same, there will be no shrine to him to visit, no body to entomb and show off. I surely hope CNN won't play the tape when it's released either.

May 2, 2011 at 10:05 pm |
    • Heather - Spokane, WA

I heard that is the traditional burial for the Muslim faith.

May 2, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  36. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

That siege was a long time come!

May 2, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
  37. kaytee

So proud of the US Navy Seals, our troops, and this president! USA USA USA!

May 2, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
  38. Janis

Hello everyone. I'm proud that America had the patience to rid the world of this pest of humanity. Thank you, our great military. Thank you President Obama.

May 2, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
  39. Steve

POTUS:; "After firefight" OBL killed. Not "during firefight." Parsing language: captured then dispatched???

May 2, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
    • MaryBeth

I think that's because it was at the end of the firefight, so maybe it was considered "after"?

May 2, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

It was already dispatcher, not captured just target him to death.

May 2, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  40. Pam - San Diego

Hello everyone

May 2, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  41. Sharon Hastings

Good evening Anderson and everyone. I am so proud of our President, the CIA, and the Navy Seals Special Ops. What wonderful news. We can sure use some wonderful news. President Obama is to be commended for his leadership and his cool and determined decisions.

May 2, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
    • Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I agree, Sharon, Our president Obama was right thing to do!!!!!!!!!! You have good point there, Sharon.

May 2, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
    • Ann

I think it's a miracle all the SEALs got out of there unharmed. Just shows the capability of our military now.

May 2, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  42. Mike in TX

Hello all

May 2, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
  43. MaryBeth

I wonder if we're ever going to know all the info that was collected.

May 2, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
    • Mike, formerly from Syracuse

No, but we may see the results.

May 2, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  44. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Megan, Isha, Jane, Martina, Nicole, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Mike, Casey, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, Lori, Heather, BettyAnn, Starr, Sharon, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Dulcie, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Sree, Nancy, Sue, Kenya, Libby, Nina, Samantha, Chi, Jana, Karyn, Lily, Merl, Marybeth, others and my friend Facebook/Twitter Bloggers!!!!

Thanks for coming in for join us tonight! 😀
    Hope you have great weekend! 🙂
    Happy Monday night!!!

We have a breaking news!!!!!!!! We got him!!!!!! Osama bin Laden killed!

May 2, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
  45. Janie

President Obama did the right thing. Proud of all military, and officials in the administration. This needed to be accomplished. Did Bin Laden's family (parents, etc.) disown him when he became such a viscious terrorist?

May 2, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
  46. MaryBeth

Hello, everyone. Crazy 24 hours!!!

May 2, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
  47. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! It's great to see you on.
    I wasn't watching television last night when news began to emerge about Osama bin Laden. I heard it via the internet and Twitter. Your messages and reporting today have been exceptional. It's great to see you broadcasting from Ground Zero. Though it's been nearly ten years since 9/11, what happened then has never seemed just history or a memory–it's very much present.

May 2, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
    • Heather - Spokane, WA

I didnt hear about it until this morning when they mentioned it on tv

May 2, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
    • Nicole Netherlands

How amazing twitter is, isn´t it?!
      Saw the announcement on twitter, then ofcourse waited with/on CNN
      Did not sleep much on CET time, but so thankful I was able to watch and see this news unfold!!

May 2, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  48. Heather - Spokane, WA

Evening everyone. Hope you had a great weekend

May 2, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone! Greetings!

May 2, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
  50. glenn

Maybe somebody could find out what this mission/operation was called. Is that possible?

May 2, 2011 at 10:00 pm |