April 27th, 2011

Video: Trump defends 'birther' claims

Editor's note: Anderson Cooper questions Donald Trump on the details of Trump's claims about Pres. Obama.

Related: Trump stands by 'birther' claims

Related: Trump doubles down on 'birtherism'

Related: Trump claims Obama's birth certificate 'missing'

Related: Obama born in U.S., CNN investigation confirms

Filed under: 360° Radar • 360º Follow
  1. Jane Weiner

I have been watching media coverage of the Obama birth certificate story and I think the point is being missed. Racism may be there but it is a red herring. This story is about a Republican strategy of distraction that will render the President unable to govern. It is part 2 of the strategy that was used effectively with President Clinton. When sex or race are presented as part of the story, the media is drawn to that focus and generates considerable buzz, irrespective of truth or relevance. This contributes to the distraction, which is after all the main point. All the rest is commentary.

April 28, 2011 at 12:07 am |
  2. Fred washington

All Americians are to be ashamed due to the question of the birth of the United State of America's President. I know the World is laughing at those stupid Americains. This is plain racist. I'm a 54 year Black man, father and grandfather. Man up and call a spade a spade.If these people don't have courage to state what beleive that a Black Americain can not be the President of the United States of America, they do not have the courage to be the Leader of the Free World. You don't desrve anybody respect. Respect is not demanded, my grandfather told me. it's earned.

April 27, 2011 at 11:43 pm |
  3. Kevin

Trump and the "birthers" I am sure will continue their racist rants. It's a shame to see the ignorance and racism that still exists in our great nation.

April 27, 2011 at 11:25 pm |
  4. JonPeter

Okay Donald, your claim the birth certicate is missing has been shown to be wrong. You have a problem, what's your next move ???

April 27, 2011 at 5:32 pm |
  5. Anthony Ginn

AC,
    There should be an Ethical Code established for any Congressional member or perspective Presidential candidate who tells a lie on any broadcast. If verified that a lie was told on any subject, then,a sanction will be invoked on the person with a penalty that they will no longer be granted any airtime!This rule would silence the Trump's et.al.,!

Tony
    Tacoma, WA

April 27, 2011 at 4:42 pm |
  6. Craig Williams

Trump clearly is out to lunch with this birth issue,is he born in the USA or is from another country. So for the sake of Argument why doesn't the Republican party go to the house of Arnold Schwarzenegger knock on his door and ask him to run for President. Oh I forgot Arnold is not born in this country

April 27, 2011 at 12:35 pm |
  7. Amy

I've always brushed off this birth certificate debate as nonsense and AC is making very good arguments to support Obama and debate Trump. However, the certificate of birth produced by Obama reflects his race as "African." Has CNN/ Anderson ever investigated this issue? Obama was born in 1961 and I'm just curious as to whether this is a term used by any state for race description. Also, if you look at the laws of Hawaii for birth certificates, it says you can apply and/ or amend. Has anyone checked into whether Obama's certificate of birth was ever amended? I know CNN/ AC has gotten all kinds of interviews of people who remember Obama when he was a child, but have they found anyone who recalls his actual birth in America? I think if these questions could be addressed by CNN, or any other new organization, it could stop the debate. I'd prefer to hear the real issues than to keep having to listen to this debate if it really isn't an issue. If it is being argued so ardently, it only starts to make it a real issue. The questions need to be resolved so we can get on to issues like the economy, gas prices, taxes, health care, etc. I'm tired of the press making arguments and not addressing all of the issues to resolve something as stupid as this. Get on with it already, act like intelligent people who know how to solve an question and put it to rest.

April 27, 2011 at 1:36 am |
  8. Lori

What's amazing to me is that Mr. Trump is so beligerent about disclosing his own information about his "findings" re: President Obama's birthplace. With concrete information placed directly in front of him, he continues to look like a fool instead of the smart businessman that he is. It's clear that he doesn't have a clue, doesn't want to have a clue and refuses to put any trust in the American government. And yet he's considering putting it all up for a Presidential Run. And then he expects the American public to take him seriously?????? The Donald is only interested in himself, his ratings and his ego. He has no clear cut agenda for running for the Presidency and personally I am in the 60-ish percentile of those who would never vote for him for that distingued office.

April 27, 2011 at 1:32 am |