April 21st, 2011

'Birthers' Not Backing Down: Join the Live Chat

We're Keeping Them Honest tonight on the myth that will not die. The bogus belief that President Obama wasn't born in the United States. You'll hear from "birther" Donald Trump and we'll talk to a Louisiana state lawmaker who's hoping to get legislation passed that would require candidates to provide their long-form birth record. It's one of several states considering such legislation. Plus, the countdown to the royal wedding. Tonight see why Prince William and Kate's path to the alter hasn't always been easy.

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Kaytee

"I won't be satisfied until Obama produces it."
    Lol.

"None of you will get to see the president's long form birth certificate. I guess you can go ahead and jump up and down and hold your breath until you turn blue-that's your decision."
    So true Sharon Hastings.

April 21, 2011 at 10:59 pm |
  2. Merl, Ohio

@ Sam, How could you rescind some of the actions taken. Its not just the laws.
    Good night.

April 21, 2011 at 10:59 pm |
  3. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

P.S. I love "The Shot" of baby and mammals or animals!!!!!!!! Awwwww, That's so cute! Thanks Randi!

April 21, 2011 at 10:59 pm |
  4. Janis

Oh, I love this baby!! His laughter is so infectious. I could listen to it all day. The penguin is darling – Racoons love water, they're washing their hands – how cute.

Good night, everyone. Great show, AC360 team.

April 21, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
  5. Nina

Good Night everyone...

April 21, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
  6. Sharon Hastings

I love ALL the laughing baby stuff on YouTube. Especially if it has a dog in it. Or any animals. Soooo cute.

Good night everyone.

April 21, 2011 at 10:58 pm |
  7. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night Randi Kaye (Anderson), Megan, Isha, Jane, Martina, Nicole, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Mike, Casey, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Jane, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, Lori, Heather, BettyAnn, Starr, Sharon, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Dulcie, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Sree, Nancy, Sue, Kenya, Libby, Nina, Samantha, Jana, Chi, Karyn, Lilly, Merl, Marybeth others and my friend Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!
    See you tomorrow night, Have a great night & Sleep tight everyone!!!

April 21, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
  8. Janis

What mental process is going through that man's mind. Planting the pipebomb. That's terrible.

April 21, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
  9. Merl, Ohio

I hope that America can solve this birther issue so we can get on to more impacting issues on American soils.

Good night Randi Kaye, Team 360 and all other bloggers. A lot of good points and questions brought out tonight. Sleep well all.

April 21, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
  10. Sam

Merl asked: Has anyone thought what would happen if Obama were found to be not born in the U.S.?

Yes, I have thought of it. If Obama isn't legally qualified to be President, then I imagine the laws he passed would be illegal and need to be rescinded. They would have to be.

April 21, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
  11. Janis

Looking forward to Anderson, Piers, Cat and Soledad's coverage of Royal wedding.

April 21, 2011 at 10:55 pm |
  12. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I love this!!!!!!! Thanks for info from Richard Quest in London!!!!!!

April 21, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  13. Janis

So every British monarch has the same official birthday. How clever of the British. Everything can take place with precise scheduling. Love their traditions!

April 21, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  14. Sam

Researching is one of the things that I do. I didn't know why people were questioning Obama's birth status until I did my own research. Then I understood why people were up in arms about wanting to see his Long-Form Birth Certificate. I won't be satisfied until Obama produces it. Then there's Lieutenant Colonel Terry Lakin, who is sitting in military jail until Obama proves he's a natural-born citizen. Obama knows he's in jail over this issue, but he still won't produce it. That's just plain wrong!

April 21, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  15. Merl, Ohio

Has anyone thought what would happen if Obama were found to be not born in the U.S.? Would all of his actions have to be reversed? And how could they?

April 21, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  16. Linda

Why hasn't Mr. Trump questioned the births of former presidents George Bush, Bill Clinton, or Ronald Reagon? Or even current Vice President Joe Biden? It sounds to me that this is a racial issue.

April 21, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  17. Sharon Hastings

Somewhere between the birthers and death panels is where most of us live our lives. Our lives have many, many important things that concern everyone. We need to be concentrating on those.

April 21, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  18. Kaytee

Merl, please don't just take someone's word for that. I don't believe anything any birther has to say, just as they will never believe the pres was born here.

April 21, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  19. Merl, Ohio

@ Doug Estes, 10:13 ET, Hawaii law does not require you to be born in Hawaii...

I didn't know this information, and I feel this should be looked into if so. Thanks for the insight, I will try to find more info for myself. Thank you.

April 21, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  20. Janis

I'm trying to think why Apple would want to keep track of your whereabouts. I'm sure it has to do with pinpoint advertising. Let's see, you're walking down the street past (#1 espresso chain) when out on your phone display pops a 10% off coupon for (#1 espresso chain) cappaccino! Gazounds! How smart can your phone be???? It's all about money and ingenuity in software. I don't think we should be that paranoid about it.

April 21, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  21. Kaytee

I hope they question until they are blue in the face and we have Pres Obama as a second term president.

April 21, 2011 at 10:43 pm |
  22. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Bloggers?
    Are you ready forward watch Royal wedding next Friday morning????? I am so exciting forward watch them...... It is so fabulous show!

April 21, 2011 at 10:42 pm |
  23. Kaytee

I agree Patricia. I hope the president does not go out of his way to prove anything.

April 21, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  24. Sam

I'm disgusted that people attack anyone wanting to see Obama's birth certificate. Our Founding Fathers made laws to protect our country and Constitution. The United States is in a mess because of corrupt politicians...and we're questioning Obama's eligibility until he shows us the document. Obama had all of his records sealed. What is he hiding?

I'm a Democrat...and my Mama is dark-skinned.

April 21, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  25. Patricia White

It is occurring to me that Republicans require people jumping through hoops so that they can feel in control of them and President Obama isn't interested in being their trained seal. It is time to realize that their 'stonewall' just isn't what it used to be. Berlin lost it's wall, and it is time for Americans to be Americans with out the 'wall'.

April 21, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  26. Kaytee

Obama should not have to present anything different than any other president. Whatever they had to present to be eligible to run, that is what he presented, therefore making him eligible. End of story. You don't like the results of the election, tough. You (nor Trump)do not get to demand "his papers" because you don't like him. If that's the case, I want to see Pres Bush's birth cert...now. I need to see the long form and feel the seal in MY hands. Sounds kind of silly doesn't it.

April 21, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  27. Jason S.

Were the footprints, palm prints, or fingerprints of President Obama taken at the hospital at/or shortly after his birth? Does an official document from the State of Hawaii exist with this information? Was it common practice to document births in this manner back then?

April 21, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  28. Merl, Ohio

@ Kat Stewart 10:25 ET
    @ J.Allan 10:26 ET

Yes, they tried to change the constitution so people like Arnold Shwartzenegger could run for the presidency.

The reason why they could not change the constitution is due to Home Land Security. And it would never have passed .

April 21, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  29. Doug Estes

Hawaii will release it, but Pres. Obama must allow them to. He won't. If this is such a bad thing for America, why dosen't Pres. Obama just release it????? That would end it. He has somthing to hide or he's doing it for political reasons? On Pres. Obama can stop this.

April 21, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  30. Janis

Thank you, Fred, for update on Eman al-Obeidi. I have been wondering about her welfare for sometime. Hope she can get back to her home very soon. Thank you AC360 staff.

April 21, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  31. Sam

I'm a Democrat and after researching, I want to know what Obama's hiding. This debate would end quickly if he would just show the document.

April 21, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  32. Steve Bumgardner

Indiana does not have a "long form" birth certificate. What we have does not contain all the info the clowns, er, Legislators in Arizona were demanding. If name, date of birth, sex, city of birth, parents' names, and their States of birth doesn't get it, we're out of luck in Louisiana too. Not that that would be a bad thing considering the crowd of scoundrels that claims to be running.

April 21, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  33. Kaytee

If you didn't get to see it when he ran, tough! He's the president now! That is the end of the story, and I know it just kills some of you.

April 21, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  34. Janis

If we hadn't intervened, Gadhafi would have buried everyone who objected to him, which would have been carnage beyond comprehension. Gadhafi can't hide his atrocities anymore. We have to be patient and let Libya free herself of him.

April 21, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  35. Carol

Donald Trump reminds me of my high school years. He acts like a jealous Bully with nothing better to do. President Obama is an american point blank. Arnold Swartnegar ( I appoligize for the mispelling) is not a Born American but he held/holds political office. I don't see anyone giving him grief. Obama is trying to clean up a mess that was created by a president before him and some don't like it. Our country has bigger issues that he at least has the guts to address. Let him be and let him do his job. Grow up Donald Trump .

April 21, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  36. Maydelle

why dosen't the president just show his "LONG- FORM" birth certificate and be done with. If he had done this in the beginning it would all be over. We as citizens have to produce a "LONG-FORM" certificate for anything we do, such as passports. Just because he is president he should not be exempt. Show the "long-form" and be done with it. Or maybe there is something being hidden, don't know, makes a person wonder.

April 21, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  37. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Fred
    Is the discussion based on a difference of opinion on what constitutes a legitimate birth certificate? Is there an official, state issued birth certificate in Hawaii? We have that in Texas and anything short of the state issued version, showing the county of birth, is not official.

Fred,
    I am thinking, I have heard that Hawaii won't allow to release birth certificate as well. I think that should have keep law to follow as well.

April 21, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  38. Chuck

These claims are nothing more than ways to discredit our President. He HAS shown us his birth certificate. We already have at least one respected state Governor who was not born in this country. Instead of all this controversy why don't we just go for a constitutional amendment which will allow someone NOT born in this country to run for the office as long as he/she is a naturalized U.S. citizen.

April 21, 2011 at 10:28 pm |