April 7th, 2011

Emergency Meeting on Budget Battle: Join the Live Chat

We're just 26 hours away from a government shutdown if the White House and Congress can't come up with a budget deal.
A meeting is underway right now. We'll have the latest on the showdown. Plus, a deadly airstrike in eastern Libya. And, here at home, the snake that escaped from New York's Bronx Zoo gets a name.

Want more details on what we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Sharon Hastings

Good night everyone. Lively time as usual. So many great comments tonight, I couldn't keep up with them all. There is a consensus though–that this problem is just plain stupid.

April 7, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  2. nikoa currie

lets over pay celebs to makes movies and music but not our troops who fight for our freedom.....freedom or entertainment. Seems to be an obvious choice....anybody know where oprah lives, cuz i'm going to need to borrow some money, as a soldier in the army, to support my family.

April 7, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  3. Dustin

How are we as the military suppose to make ends meet if we are to lose our pay. We are 1/2 of 1% of the nation. We fight without question, we are taken away from our families for months if not years on end, and for what? For the people that we elect to represent us take money out of our pockets and food off my famlies plate. If I was a civilian I wouldn't show up to work, however I am not and I will be to work tomorrow. Someone needs to hold the ones who are elected to represent us accountable.

April 7, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  4. Nina

Good Night Anderson, Team 360, Megan, Starr, Merl, Mike, Krasi, Betty
    Have a wonderful evening

Great show Anderson!

April 7, 2011 at 10:57 pm |
  5. Lori

I enjoyed the show tonight Anderson. It was full of very lively conversations!

Good night Anderson. Take care of yourself.

Good night Everyone! See you tomorrow.

April 7, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
  6. Janis

Thanks to one of the Gadhafi sons for helping Eman al-Obeidi. Someone in that family is showing signs of mercy and compassion for the Libyan people – what are they going to do now?
    No more killing, please.

April 7, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
  7. Heleni

As far as I am concern, for internatinal news I rather hear about Japan than Lybia. That is a national disaster. The middle east has to fix their own problem.

April 7, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
  8. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Good night Anderson, Megan, Isha, Jane, Martina, Nicole, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Mike, Casey, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Jane, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, Lori, Heather, BettyAnn, Starr, Sharon, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Dulcie, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Sree, Nancy, Sue, Kenya, Libby, Nina, Samantha, Jana, Chi, Karyn, Lilly, Merl, others and my friend Twitter/Facebook Bloggers!!!!
    See you tomorrow night, Have a great night & Sleep tight everyone!!!

Anderson,
    Have a great night & good sleep at home after work!!!
    See you tomorrow night!!! Just a plenty sleep at home!

April 7, 2011 at 10:56 pm |
  9. Nicole Netherlands

Lookes like something got to happen in Libya, with support for the uprise to Gaddaffi, hunanitarian aid, and get Eman out of Tripoli..

Hope tomorrow will bring some good news, with not shutdown U.S. government..
    Goodnight everyone!
    Am absolutely going to watch the interview with the NY times journalist tomorrow!!

April 7, 2011 at 10:55 pm |
  10. Kevin

I have to agree with David Gergen, if had happened when LBJ was president he would have locked both parties in the Roosevelt room until there was an agreement.

April 7, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  11. Mike in TX

If the govt shuts down preventing our troops from being paid then each member of congress should line up outside the houses of those who lose their lives during that time and explain why. Sorry it's just beyond disgusting. Have a great eveing everyone

April 7, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  12. Wendi Frishman

Good Job CNN with the world watching that poor woman,no one would dare harm her again

April 7, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  13. Paula, Colorado

It would be incredible if one of Gadhafi's sons were to assist Eman al-Obeidy in leaving Tripoli.

April 7, 2011 at 10:54 pm |
  14. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

That's good news for me to hear that Eman will get out of country!!!!!! 🙂 Thanks Nic for update from Libya!!!!!

And ouch!!!! My heart breaking for 2 people died in Japan!!!!!!! Oh my gosh! That is so horrible situation for people!!!!!! My heart goes out to Japan's people! 😦

April 7, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  15. Thomas Ellison

Who does the commander in chief think he is the king of england, he just cant sit back and allow this to happen, yet he does and not worring abiut the situation at hand. He thinks that this will help him in 2012. i dont make $100,000 a year and not protected from the bogus taxes that they burden on us and not tax the rich and famous. Why dont they tax the congress and the senators? They more thatn the military combind, so whats wrong with this picture?

April 7, 2011 at 10:53 pm |
  16. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Stay safe in Libya.

April 7, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  17. Heleni

Any one who advocated for the Iraq war and now are avocating for a war with LYbia should be banned from TV. We cannot even run our own government and now we have to run the rebels and kadaffi. Give me a break! The president made a big mistake by going to lybia.

April 7, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  18. Gretchen

Libya is a problem,but america is not the only country getting oil from there.Let all the countries with interest get involved.

April 7, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  19. Khristine

I think I'll go to my Congressman's house and raid his cupboards. I'm sure they're plenty full enough to support my family too.

April 7, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  20. Sue R. - Canton Mi

It was good to see that Eman Al-Obeidy is safe. I hope that Gadhafi's son doesn't lead her to more danger. Hope she is returned safely to her family.

April 7, 2011 at 10:52 pm |
  21. dee

I think that budget cuts should be voted on.I think the american people should start asking congress to step down . They should not recive pay if shutdown happens.

April 7, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  22. Kaytee

Cutting headstart, pell grants, planned parenthood...really? These tea baggers are a joke! Stick it to the ones who cannot help themselves and keep giving the rich tax cuts, wow.

April 7, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  23. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

President Obama did not think Libya through. Did he really think a few cruise missiles and bombs would end it? How incredibly naive.

April 7, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  24. Terry

If you or I were hired to do a job that we can't do, then we get fired, so why can't we Impeach, fire them all and start over with new officials, reduce the pay to what the average American makes? Why should they make so much more then the average American? Just a thought!

April 7, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  25. Starr, formerly known as vincent

I don't "get" what is going on with NATO & Lybia.
    God bless Ben W. for his excellent reporting.

Prof. Ajami is so right! It looks like we are right back where we started.

Why haven't communication devices been given to the opposition so they can communicate with NATO?

God bless Eman. & Nic R. too.
    And, again i am confused. A son of Gadhafi helped Nic with the interview?
    Nic is right – it's like a "looking glass" effect in in Lybia.

April 7, 2011 at 10:51 pm |
  26. Nina

case of good cop/bad cop

Qaddafi's son wanted to distance himself from the rest of Qaddafi's group so the US will accept his taking control of Libya. Its just a good strategy

April 7, 2011 at 10:50 pm |
  27. Martha

I am a Army wife with a child and a husband about to deploy. I believe if congress is able to still get paid then Military people should too. Is the President.congress men going to give us diaper money rent money food money car payment money out of his/their pockets if they shutdown the government? What if you guys werent able to afford food for your children?

April 7, 2011 at 10:49 pm |
  28. Michael Harrison

In regards to the the government shutdown, all the politicians in the house, senate and congress have shown themselves to be charlatans. All U.S. citizens need to take a hint from the muslim states and have a day of rage in the United States. Our fore fathers are rolling in their graves, the government does not work for the people. The people work for the government. How did we get to where we are now????????

April 7, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  29. Kaytee

The reps and the tea party are trying to force their social issues thru on a budget plan. They should be ashamed of themselves. Their goal from day one was to make sure Obama is a one term president and they will do anything and everything they can to make him look bad. They don't care about the working class people or the poor, they never have and they never will.

April 7, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  30. Mike in TX

So everyone called for the President to help the citizens of Libya. Some say go alone others say don't you dare so he gets a coalition and UN resolution in record time and uses our power to take out the facilites to provide the no fly zone. Don't spend our money on this country Mr. President, why did you go in. Tonight...why is he not putting boots on the ground that congress has screamed that he better not do. More polotics over the lives of others

April 7, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  31. Debbie Clark

The United States Government has spent so much time looking overseas, that they have forgotten about it's own Military. My son is stationed in Yokosuka,Japan, and has been watching for what happens next there, now he has to worry about not being paid.

April 7, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  32. Tonya

Its awlful to think that individuals of the tea party really are not informed about the actual policies, I no know as fact being a federal employee for the agency that monitors medicare, that seniors can choose what progarm and are not required to select anything.

And this is the group proposing the cuts??

April 7, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  33. Jennifer - Michigan

I cannot imagine what she's been through.

April 7, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  34. Emily M

Being a member of the Armed Forces, we don't make hardly any money to begin with! So, most of us don't even have a savings for back-up. Who is going to pay our bills while we continue to work? It isn't optional for us. We have to stay at work. I don't see Washington working for free.

April 7, 2011 at 10:48 pm |
  35. Wendi Frishman

OK so NATO is messing up and killing the good guys.Is this an attempt to get the uS to put boots on the ground G-d I hope not

April 7, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  36. Sue R. - Canton Mi

I also have to agree wit David Gergen. He said it well regarding - It's all about "Smelly Politic's".

April 7, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  37. Jennifer - Michigan

Oh good....I'm happy to see that she is alive and ok. It's her!

April 7, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  38. Kara

Maybe someone out there can help me. I thought it had already been determined in the 1990's that Active Duty military would continue to serve and receive their paychecks in case of a government shut down. What makes this time different? It doesn't make sense- essential employees will have to be paid for their services. That pay is guaranteed to be subtracted from ANY budget that passes so why not pay them on time?

April 7, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  39. Nina

NATO.s bomb hit a freedom fighter group today. Whats up with NATO?

April 7, 2011 at 10:47 pm |
  40. Brandon

Does anyone know where I can see a copy of this proposed "budget" for myself? I'm tired of hearing these untrustworthy politicians try to explain it. I want to see it for myself!

April 7, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  41. Randy, Ottawa, Ontario

Anderson,

Again and again the US goverment demonstrates the traits that have over the last 10 years taken the United States from the most powerful nation on earth to a country on the brink of collapse economically. In every category, economy, education, standard of living, manufacturing, etc. you decline versus the world and still your leaders "don't get it". I like that our dollar is worth more than yours.......Florida here we come.

April 7, 2011 at 10:46 pm |
  42. Brandi

This is the most absurd thing I have ever heard of the government doing. It is my sincere wish that the nation take note of who is representing their state and not elect that official in the following election. I am a wife of a soldier and thankfully we will be ok, but I know at least 100 families personally that live pay check to pay check. This is going to hurt them tremendously. Way to go elected officials! That is exactly what our soldiers need to be worried about! Their families not eating or going without!

April 7, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  43. Dana

My husband is deployed (our 3rd deployment) and we have 3 children. I can't sleep wondering how we are going to get by on half a paycheck for the duration of this shutdown, if it comes to pass. The absolute arrogance of some of these lawmakers is appalling. You are going to donate your check to charity? WOW, I wish we had that option: but we actually NEED our check to eat and live.

April 7, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  44. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Sorry Dana, I also disagree with you!!!!!!!

April 7, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  45. Vickie

Solution for Congress – no check – turn off the AC and Power, no healthcare – no toliets and no food until this is resolved and try living like the rest of us are having to do and see how it really feels. Outraged over how our government acts and I use to be civil service this is why I quit I did not like what I saw happening.

April 7, 2011 at 10:45 pm |
  46. Ric

What most people haven't said is that most, and it is not all, members of congress are millionaires. They really don't rely on their wages from congress to fund their lives. If I had their money I could take the moral high ground and say that I will give my paycheck to charity also. Most of them are always looking for tax deductions, and feel this will somehow make them look good.

April 7, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  47. Gretchen

It's so amazing how some want to cut funding for abortion are the same some who would take medical care from children as well as food,what hypocrites

April 7, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  48. Heleni

If the tea party is holding us hostage. When they were not in office last year. Republicans and democrats came to an agreement at the end of last year. I hope they vote them all out next year for more consensus builder republican like Mitch Daniels.

April 7, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  49. Chris - WV

20 yrs of Fed Gov't, both wife and I, and willing to give up pay for "essential" military to get paid! Shameful our congressional leaders won't forfeit the same!

April 7, 2011 at 10:44 pm |
  50. Walter Rose

If government spending stops the economy is going to take a nosedive. Innovation and increased productivity, successful businesses paying taxes; that's the solution.What's needed now is investment, either by the private sector or the government. We don't need right now is our country's largest employer shutting its doors!

April 7, 2011 at 10:44 pm |