April 7th, 2011

Emergency Meeting on Budget Battle: Join the Live Chat

We're just 26 hours away from a government shutdown if the White House and Congress can't come up with a budget deal.
A meeting is underway right now. We'll have the latest on the showdown. Plus, a deadly airstrike in eastern Libya. And, here at home, the snake that escaped from New York's Bronx Zoo gets a name.

Want more details on what we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Natasha

Due to no decision yet and possibly not having one by Friday night my father will go unpaid. This is a huge problem with a lot of families. Whose situation is close to ours: A daughter/son who will be going to college that can't get a job,One paycheck, Three kids, An elderly mother, A mortgage, Regular everyday bills, One car that could be repoed at any time. And no idea how to feed the family. Hopefully something will be done. Hopefully our President and congressmen and women can take a pay cut to help big time. Otherwise there are going to be a lot of homeless hungry people.

April 7, 2011 at 10:13 pm |
  2. Linda Buchanan

This is a political ploy as always on the part of the government -I say if *we* the people don`t get payed – the military don`t get paid- then no one on Capitol Hill including the President does NOT get payed! This is just bologna- I am being polite, very, very polite and I promise this whoever is involved in this shutdown will be voted out by me come election day -this is absurd! I am tired of the double standards in Washington and the games people play! One last note, this just plain looks really bad to the rest of the world! It makes us look we as a *Super Power* ! What and Who is running this country?

April 7, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  3. roberta yomes

This is gross negligence on Congress's part. How can our troops not get paid. They are serving our country. Congress should not get paid. They are not essential. Is all this necessary? The greatest country in the world are being led by jerks. And we put them there. State of Hawaii has gone through furloughs as many other states. We need many of our programs as well. This is crazy. Japan's gov't is not falling apart. Congress just wants to see President Obama fail. He inherited this economy. Thank u CNN for keeping us updated.

April 7, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  4. Jules

My husband and I will be affected by this shutdown. What amazes me that members of Capitol Hill will still get paid, and we won't get paid, not even back pay. If they're still getting paid during this shutdown, and 800K Federal workers will not, then the Federal workers should get backpay for the length of the shutdown. If we don't get paid, neither should they.

April 7, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  5. tiffany

I cant believe they are fighting over stuff that are not crucial. Why can they not just come to an agreement its ridiculous... they are taking away the military paychecks, seriously? Yeah lets make the men and women that protect this country angry not smart...

April 7, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  6. Emily M

I am in the Navy and my husband is in the Army. We, just like almost every other American, live paycheck to paycheck. We are stationed in two different places, so where will the money for rent, groceries, gas, utilities all come from?

April 7, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  7. Carl

This is the fault of both parties. They are unwilling to be leaders. They will all pay for this betrayal of the American people come next election

April 7, 2011 at 10:12 pm |
  8. Daniel

Evening Anderson,

Can someone please answer the question why this budget was not taken care of in the last congress when it was actually due? Dan

April 7, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  9. Di

I can not believe how out of touch some of these representative are; People like Ron Paul and Rep: Pence, talking about the shutdown will not affect anyone that much?? are you serious? these guys obviously live in their own cocoon, most of us are a paycheck away from being homeless!

April 7, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  10. Janelle

What I don't understand is, our men and women who are in the military work hard, die and fight for our cow try, but yet we are deemed unessential?

April 7, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  11. Nina

Jennifer NC
    Glad Congress is not working in a private sector b/c THEY WOULD BE FIRED...

If Congress worked for the private sector, the companies would be bankrupt!

April 7, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  12. Sarah

My deployed Air Force spouse should be returning back to the US this weekend. I really hope these issues do not stop him from returning from a 6-month deployment.

April 7, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  13. dayna

im a army wife my husband is deploying next week i already have to worry about that now i have to worry about how im going to take care of my kids and pay my bills . taking from soldiers that r fighting for our freedom and dying is bull crap . the congress and president need to go over there and fight for free and see how they like it. im very upset about all this .our troops dont make enough now and when we pay our bills we dont have enough to save money even if we try. and for congress saying if they get paid they r going to give it to charities how about giving it to miltarys families.

April 7, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  14. Jennifer - Michigan

They write the laws....give us a break!

April 7, 2011 at 10:11 pm |
  15. Heleni

My brother is in the military, I hope things worik out for him.

April 7, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  16. Jennifer - Michigan

If Soldiers don't get paid then congress should not be paid!

April 7, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  17. Sue R. - Canton Mi

Good evening everyone.
    Looking forward to the show tonight.

I'm hoping that a Government shutdown can be prevented. What a mess.

April 7, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  18. Nina

Thanks you David Gergen. If congress cannot do their job and the government is shutting down, they should NOT get paid!!!

April 7, 2011 at 10:10 pm |
  19. Jennifer NC

Glad Congress is not working in a private sector b/c THEY WOULD BE FIRED...

April 7, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  20. Shari

Dear God, please help us an keep are prayers safe in your heart for my family and others just like me, whose spouses are in the military and because of PCS's(moves) and the other spouse gave up their job and know are pending little to no income. Deperalty scared to post, to talk and to speak outfor... got to go, thanks to all who support are troops and we love our American Family,

April 7, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  21. miller

how are soldiers and other government workers going to pay their bills if this happens

April 7, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  22. Evan Stapp

With the millions that depend on Federal services, does that not mean that someone is very likely going to die from their inability to access government services? Because these people could not make a decision on something that was supposed to be decided on in October of last year? Are the differences between the two parties so great that they will let someone die because of it? Why are the senators and representatives that didn't succeed at this get paid?

April 7, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  23. Starr, formerly known as vincent

I' ve noticed several "lawmakers" did Not Know that they were getting paid!
    And, these are the people that Make the Laws.
    They don't even know what they have voted on or not!

I also Loved the American people can "adjust". HA! Could Congress Adjust??? Probably Not.

These so-called "social issues" are a joke! Planned Parenthood does Not get paid by the Fed. Gov. for abortions.
    And we need the EPA to keep monitoring greenhouse gases for our own good!

I agree with David G., these issues are NOT related to the budget!

At least I wrote & called the President, The Speaker & Sen. Reid asking for the "social issues" NOT be part of the Gov.!

April 7, 2011 at 10:09 pm |
  24. Sharon Hastings

What's going to happen when congress has to work on next year's budget? Yikes.

I saw a tape today of a Tea Party rally and they were chanting "shut it down, shut it down". Federal funding for abortion is already banned therefore Planned Parenthood does NOT, I repeat NOT get federal funding for abortions done.

April 7, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  25. Janelle

I am a military wife. We have 3 children to feed. 2 are under the age of 2. Something needs to be done. We cannot just get paid 1/2 a paycheck.nthst docent even cover groceries and gas. I wish that something could be done over night. But I am not holding my breath. Our men and women fight hard for their money and we aren't deemed essential, anyone see a problem with this?

April 7, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  26. Jennifer - Michigan

You'd think they would be able to work this out before it came to this.

April 7, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  27. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Bloggers,
    I agree all of you, We don't want to shutdown in the future, they said no deal at all, It is very messy one right now. I think we will wait and see if they reach agreement any soon, I hope.

April 7, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  28. Stan

It's hard not to feel that our representatives are acting hypocritically – both sides of the aisle, by not including their own compensation in the "shut down".

April 7, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  29. Bob Brodnick

To get around your "catch 22" pay congress just $1.00 Vs. their full salary.

April 7, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  30. tessa

just wondering if dod employees will be effected. they are government contrated but they have heard nothing from work. how do you know who is looking at no pay checks?

April 7, 2011 at 10:08 pm |
  31. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

We can not afford a "shutdown!" If we have a shutdown, you can bet your last dollar it will be a "showdown!"

April 7, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
  32. miller

hello,
    i am a soldier and i believe the people on capitol hill should not get payed if the can compermise and their money should go to the soldiers

April 7, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
  33. MaryBeth

Hello, everyone. Can't they just pass what they agree on and work on what they don't?

April 7, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
  34. Nina

Why are ideological issues even in question? The cost is minimal compared to Federal Defense and other projects.

April 7, 2011 at 10:07 pm |
  35. Stephen Wilkerson Maryland

Anderson,

EPA Green house gases, wow. What is really going on?

Drew

April 7, 2011 at 10:06 pm |
  36. Robert

This budget should have been settled months ago. Now, it's the blame game: how many supporters can each party garner before the government shuts down? I say "fail" to the lot of them.

April 7, 2011 at 10:05 pm |
  37. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Shut it down and see what we miss. I bet there would be hundreds of billions that no one really needs.

April 7, 2011 at 10:05 pm |
  38. Nina

I am really tired of Congress being the "privileged" Americans! If they can't do their job, get rid of them. Goodness what a mess!

April 7, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
  39. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Helloooo Anderson, Megan, Isha, Jane, Martina, Nicole, Kim, Emily, Gloria, Mike, Casey, Cessy, Paula, Isabel, David-Indiana, JoAnn, Monica, Kathy, Gayle, Renee, Caroline, Lori, Heather, BettyAnn, Starr, Sharon, A. Smith, Devin, Karin, Dulcie, Michael, Karen, Miranda, Sree, Nancy, Sue, Kenya, Libby, Nina, Samantha, Chi, Jana, Karyn, Lily, Merl, others and my friend Facebook/Twitter Bloggers!!!!

Happy Thursday night!!!!!

Oh boy! I know that I have respect our president says will be shutdown for good.

April 7, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
  40. Chris

How could we not pay our troops? Aren't they "essential" personnel? Ridiculous.

April 7, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
  41. Stephen Wilkerson Maryland

Anderson

This seems to have nothing to do with the budget rather other issues, True?

Drew

April 7, 2011 at 10:04 pm |
  42. Stephen Wilkerson Maryland

Anderson,

Rumor is that the Republicans are writing into the bill a bunch of previsions that have nothing to do with the budget, like clean water and EPA issues. True?

Drew

April 7, 2011 at 10:03 pm |
  43. Nina

Just typical of our government. Those that make the laws, can write anything for themselves. Its a crying shame!!!

April 7, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  44. yolonda, california

I think if there is no budget they should have no job..isn't that how the real world works?

April 7, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  45. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Good evening Anderson & Team 360.

Hello, Nancy, Nichole, Megan, Emily, JoAnn, Mike, Casey, Heather, Nina, Sharon H., everyone.

Oh God I hope the Fed. Gov. does Not shut down!

April 7, 2011 at 10:02 pm |
  46. Nina

Good Evening Anderson, Team 360, Megan, Starr, Merl, Mike, Krasi, Betty ... Almost TGIF

How would a company stay in business if they acted like Congress?

April 7, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
  47. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

Good Evening Everyone! Greetings!

April 7, 2011 at 10:01 pm |
  48. Paula, Colorado

Anderson,
    Hi! It's great to see you on.
    It's disappointing there is no agreement yet on the budget–I'm still hoping they will avoid the shutdown.

April 7, 2011 at 10:00 pm |
  49. Sharon Hastings

Good evening Anderson and everyone. Tea anyone? No? Don't blame ya.

April 7, 2011 at 10:00 pm |