April 4th, 2011

Libyan Woman Speaks Out, Risks Her Life: Join the Live Chat

Breaking news: Eman al-Obeidy, the Libyan woman whose allegations of abuse at the hands of Gadhafi's forces got her arrested and dragged off in front of the world's media, is speaking out. Plus, word that Gadhafi is tossing around the idea of his son, Saif, taking control of the country. And the latest on Japan's nuclear crisis.

Want more details on what we're covering? Read EVENING BUZZ

Here are some of them:

1) Keep it short (we don't have time to read a "book")
2) Don't write in ALL CAPS (there's no need to yell)
3) Use your real name (first name only is fine)
4) No links
5) Watch your language (keep it G-rated; PG at worst - and that includes $#&*)

Filed under: Live Blog
  1. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

It was either very naive or just an outright lie to think that the US could come in, launch a bunch of cruise missiles, drop a few bombs, and leave.

April 4, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  2. Krasi, Houston

Of course dumping the water in the ocean is not the only option. There are usually many possible solutions to a problem. However, there's no way to know which one will do the job with the least amount of harm done. The experts make the decision, go with it, and hope for the best. Looking back to what could've happened if something different has been done is, as I have mentioned before, a total waste of time.

April 4, 2011 at 10:40 pm |
  3. Merl, Ohio

@ Krasi, Until the power of love overcomes the love of power there will be no peace.

April 4, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  4. Gloria, Brooklyn, NY

It's done for oxygen. I suppose that the plants are put in the ocean.

April 4, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  5. Julie

I agree with you Sharon Hastings. We cannot afford to abandon this fight.

April 4, 2011 at 10:39 pm |
  6. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

Such a happy happy tale that the stranded dog was reunited with his owners! Lucky indeed! My tail wags!

April 4, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  7. Nina

So Tragic about Japan. I just cannot even imagine living through this level of trauma and continued trauma.

April 4, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  8. Pamela Fritz

I have thought of this woman, Eman, throughout the weekend many times.
    Thank you for giving her a voice, and I hope and pray for her safety. I hope and pray for the people of Libya and anywhere these atrocious acts occur in our world. Her courage is beyond any words. She is truly nothing short of amazing.

April 4, 2011 at 10:38 pm |
  9. Nina

@Megan
    Yes, She have interpreter for her to Anderson.
    Very easy to have someone that looks like her stand in for her. Easy to fool everyone.

April 4, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  10. Merl, Ohio

@ Tanya, she needs help,...but whos gonna listen

If you do not speak who will hear? There are a lot of people on this blog right now, I feel you should say your idea.

April 4, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  11. Sharon Hastings

Weren't other countries all in an uproar at the suggestion that they didn't have excellent military capabilities?? Now nothing is happening since we left the air?? Where are their air strikes?? Where are their excellent forces?? It's hard to imagine that NATO can't do anything.

April 4, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  12. Julie

You would be surprised who is listening. America is listening. We defend the innocent. That is what the US is all about. Freedom should be for everyone. We are the ones who should remove this dictator and demand the sons do not take over. Arm the rebels now.

April 4, 2011 at 10:37 pm |
  13. Krasi, Houston

If only people in power could actually learn from history...

April 4, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  14. Crystal

The hypocrisy of the Kadafi family is beyond belief and pure comedy! They are so concerned about preserving the dignity and respect for this terrorist and his spawns yet they showed NO regard for the woman you interviewed, who was raped, degraded, demeaned, terrorized? Tell me, what care is being taken to ensure HER dignity and respect?

The Kadafi family all deserve the fateful end they will soon face!

April 4, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  15. Janis

Why would NATO take over if they can't handle it? Strange.

April 4, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  16. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

The U.S. government is working behind closed doors with the Libyan govt. I heard a few weeks ago.

April 4, 2011 at 10:36 pm |
  17. Tom

The men seen trying to help this women is a Hero....You should do a story on this man...who is he...Why was he trying to help ?
    He should be honuored for his bravery.
    Tom

April 4, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  18. zack

Eman.a true form of altruism indeed. bless her soul. the lybian government are in total disconnect from reality and quite delusional.highly didactic and imperceptible,retrogressive /regressive psychosis

April 4, 2011 at 10:35 pm |
  19. tanya

she needs help and i have an idea since i was born n brought up in a arab country but whos gonna listen

April 4, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  20. Mike, formerly from Syracuse

Look for the US to extend it's involvement. I knew a 'few days' would never be the real story.

April 4, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  21. Julie

Ghadafi is a terrorist, a coward and he should know America will not put up with the abuse he gives his own people. I am from Texas and I support fully this woman. We are totally in shock over what this poor woman has put up with. Let her go now

April 4, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  22. BettyAnn, Nacogdoches,TX

@Megan ~ So right. Rape is often used as a weapon to control mostly women but it happens to men as well. Sick

April 4, 2011 at 10:34 pm |
  23. Nina

Qaddafi's son taking over would be just in name only. The father has always been in power and that relationship will Never change! Ah, Qaddafi trying to scam the world?

April 4, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  24. Sharon Hastings

If Saif has been essentially running the country for several years, how would his "taking over" for his father possibly be considered by the opposition? It seems like such a transparent and ridiculous suggestion. I've been hearing that the sons don't all get along at all and the family is very divided.

April 4, 2011 at 10:33 pm |
  25. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

That won't change anything if Gadhafi's son takes over. They all need to leave the country or leave the earth if that is possible.

April 4, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  26. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

I don't think so!!!!!!!! I don't want Gadhafi's son take over his country!!!!! What????? I want them out of that!

April 4, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  27. Janis

Interesting news about the sons and the father. I did think that Saif was more involved than his other brothers. Gadhafi more a figurehead?

The Libyan opposition will be the right people to decide who can stay and I don't think they want any of the Gadhafi family to remain.

April 4, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  28. Tom

I watch every night & tonight (April 4, 2011) you are re-showing the film of , How this women was shoved into a Libya white car & driven off. There was a white man in a blue shirt, whom tries to Protect this women, But I noticed that the Libya Policeman in Brown Jacket, Shoved back...harder So why didn't the white man try Harder to protect this women and why didn't he get MORE help from his associates. This women could have been taken away to be killed. Where was her help ?

April 4, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  29. lisal -canada

i wonder how many women eman speaks for – she has such a powerful voice – may it continue to refuse to be silenced for all the right reasons

April 4, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  30. vicky

Anderson. Thank you for keeping us posted. I am glad that Emain is still alive, however I fear for her fate. Our Country is no better than Libya to those that speak up.

April 4, 2011 at 10:32 pm |
  31. Julie

I hope the US will go in there and save this woman and tell Ghadaffi he will either go away or risk the other choice and we all know the other choice. I am praying the people of Tripoli will unite with those who want to overthrow him and if they do that without fear for their lives, they will win and he will forever be gone. Stand up for your own people

April 4, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  32. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Saif, the son, is no better than his father!

Saif was theone to say on State TV that the steets will "run" with Lybian blood.

Not One of the family members is fit to govern Lybia!! They ALL need to be prosecuted and locked up for life in prison!

April 4, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  33. Nina

Merl, Ohio
    If they can bluff the world that she is still alive, the news will dissipate as she would no longer be newsworthy. I truly question if she is alive.

April 4, 2011 at 10:31 pm |
  34. AbdulJaleel

@Gaddfi switching his power to his son, two words explains it..... Dramatic Irony !

Definition: irony that occurs when the meaning of the situation is understood by the audience but not by the characters in the play

April 4, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  35. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

Gadhafi's son to take over libya? Giving the country to another devil? What a joke if it's true.

April 4, 2011 at 10:30 pm |
  36. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Nina
    My question is this really Eman al-Obeidy?

Yes, She have interpreter for her to Anderson.

April 4, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  37. Paula, Colorado

Very sad, but excellent interview with Eman al-Obeidy, Anderson. I hope someone will be able to help her leave Tripoli–away from government control.

April 4, 2011 at 10:29 pm |
  38. Sharon Hastings

The brutality of this regime is so widely acknowledged and yet they seem so intent on projecting otherwise to the world. They definitely don't want this type of thing on television or this sort of story being followed.

April 4, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  39. Julie

Thank you Anderson for speaking out for this woman and allowing us in America to hear what she is saying. What coward the dictator is. We cannot forget this woman and we must help her as she is probably among many who suffer this way. I am so proud she stood up to them at the risk of death. She will be okay as the cowards who continue to cover up will soon be gone and am sure Libya will be free as good always overcomes evil and that is what Ghadaffi is – pure evil. If it is any consolation to her, I would do the same thing she is. Don't give up, we hear you Eman. I am praying for you this minute.

April 4, 2011 at 10:28 pm |
  40. Nicole Netherlands

Which Ambassy is still open in Tripoli?!
    Just get her -OUT- !

Italy, Turkey, anyone?!

Wish I was a helicopter pilot 😉
    (And then I would get those other woman being held also)

April 4, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  41. Tony Tucker

Important story. Somebody needs to help Eman but I can't help but think the relentless pursuit of her story by CNN will also seal her death warrant.

April 4, 2011 at 10:27 pm |
  42. Merl, Ohio

@ Nina, I question whether that is really her too, for that is just a voice. I wonder if she has received any medical care for the rape plus the gash in her leg that the reporter saw when they took her.

April 4, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  43. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Rose from Muscoy, Calif
    Thanks for that information, Megan.

Welcome Rose. 🙂

April 4, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  44. MaryBeth

@Nina, Anderson said that they've been in contact with her family and people who have been with her and they are as sure as they can be that it is her.

April 4, 2011 at 10:26 pm |
  45. Chuck Hale

I was just watching the coverage and heard the explanation of US able to call Eman but her family in Eastern Libya unable to call her directly.. I'm no expert but it seems to me that CNN can separately call each of them and put them on a conference call so they can communicate that way at least. I would suggest that as a nice gesture on CNN's part.

April 4, 2011 at 10:25 pm |
  46. Corinne

This is the govts way of trying to cover up the truth on lybia this is a classic example of how the lybians r covering up their beaviour
    This women needs help

April 4, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  47. Megan Dresslar - Shoreline, WA

Nicole Netherlands
    As I said before, remember, there are more woman (and girls) like Eman Al Obeidy..
    Not only in Libya

Rape is been used as an weapon across the world, every day, every hour.

Exactly right!

April 4, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  48. Starr, formerly known as vincent

Thank you Nic, for your additional reporting. It truly clarifies the situation she is in.

The terror seems to continue for Eman.

This would also appear to be a tribal issue. Somewhere in the report, i thought i heard something about her "Eastern" tribe.

April 4, 2011 at 10:24 pm |
  49. Janis

If Gadhafi has any mercy and wants to be taken seriously he should send her home now.

April 4, 2011 at 10:23 pm |
  50. Rose from Muscoy, Calif

Lies, Lies, Lies nothing but lies never trust the Libyan govt. I am afraid of her safty, if anything happens to her you know who is responsaible.

April 4, 2011 at 10:23 pm |